Bill Penney Toyota / fraudulent practices
I had my check engine, VSC TRAC, and traction lights all come on in my 2005 Toyota SR5 one day, so I thought, okay, I will take it to the dealership to get it checked out. My fiance (the former mechanic) warned me not to be 'taken in' by these people, and just to have them figure out what was wrong with it.
I take it in 10 minutes prior to open time on a Saturday and am met by Carrie, who takes note of the lights that are on and tells me it will be about two hours to test it (I was the 8th car in line-these folks aren't hurting for business), with a minimum charge of $55.00. I thought it was high, but thought, okay, at least they can tell me what the problem is.
Two hours roll by and Carrie approaches me with lots of figures scribbled down on her piece of paper, and tells me it will be a while longer, they have the error codes but it will cost $210.00 to do further testing because they still don't know exactly what the problem is. The other figures listed on the sheet are $586.00, 296.00, etc. I feel myself getting a little shocked, because my father has been in the automotive business (body work) for 35 years and I'm not used to getting shafted or connived by shady dealership people. I ask for a moment to call my fiance who confirms my suspicions and says, 'get out of there now, but ask for the codes.'
Carrie then informs me it will be a half hour so that my car can cool down before the wires can be removed. I go outside for the half hour and women's lib all over the place to my fiance because how dare they assume that b/c I'm a woman I'm not going to have a damn idea about cars, error codes and how that all works.
THE FUN PART: Carrie brings me my invoice, I have no choice but to pay the $55.00 for two codes (which incidentally I am able to identify exactly what the problem was via the web later) and then drops this bomb. My catalytic converter needs to be replaced UNDER WARRANTY and they have already ordered the part. Then she has the gall to tell me that she's 'real concerned' about the one code and that I need to get it fixed ASAP.
Guess what? I get the part replaced four days later and all the lights are gone. My $55.00? Also gone. Apparently they thought my intelligence was gone as well. I'd enjoy it if I got my money back, but was informed that's just too bad.
More Bill Penney Toyota Complaints & Reviews
- Toyota corolla 141 - low fuel consumption rate 
- Toyota Vios - engine knocking sound 
- Toyota International Lotto (Headquarter), japan - no response regarding toyota car international promotion program 
- Toyota Lottery Award - scam lottery! 
- Toyota / MMT Gearbox - dishonest sales tactics - advertising and selling vehicles equipped with mmt gearbox as automatic 
- Toyota Motor Corporation - the cover on the motor;
- Toyota Motor Corporation - service advisor
- Toyota Motor Corporation - 2008 rav 4
- Toyota Motor Corporation - rava 4 limited: pearl white is peeling again
- Toyota - toyota sienna van/sliding rear door