Berkline / Terrible everything

Berkline doesn't need to do quality control before they ship a piece of furniture. They simply send it out to there dealers who then deliver it to your home. When you find the defect which you assume is covered under warranty you discover that the warranty has to be satisfied by the dealer, not Berkline. So if you get a dead beat dealer you're stuck. You have a new piece of furniture with no warranty!

Al

Comments

• Je
      29th of Jul, 2009

We bought a Berkline sectional in '04 and within months had problems with it and it was actually recalled. So we got to pick out new furniture which was a sofa and loveseat on which there are four recliners. Witinh a few more months we started to see tears on one of the seats on the seam. They sent someone out twice to repair. The second time there was another problem which he fixed and documented then when I called to report that tear they said that none of those tears should have been covered under the warranty since they were on a seam and we had gotten fabric protection on the set and they weren't sure what the chemicals had done to the fabric. We now have two seats with foam sticking out which can't be fixed because it would just pull the rest of the seat apart and a broken drawer and recliner and things wrong everywhere. I feel we should have spent only half of what we did and bought something at a discount place and it would have lasted longer than these pieces of JUNK!!!

• Ze
      18th of Aug, 2009

I also had many problems with my recliner. The company doesn't want to pay for the damage of the seat and the arms. They say the warranty is no more valid for that.
    I can only have the mecanical part fixed no charge ( I have to pay postage fees...). That is because I insisted a lot!

The customer service is terrible. From the first time I called, they have nothing on file and the employee has been laid off...
    The chair was only three years old when the problems started.So when they say LIFE WARRANTY, you should read 3 YEARS WARRANTY.
    I am highly unsatisfied with this company.

10th of Nov, 2009

Berkline is junk! I have had the SAME issues as above we a sectional sofa we purchased. When we shopped for a new sofa, we chose Berkline over a less expensive piece, based on the "quality of their product". I have to ask... what quality? We have Seam issues in all 3 pieces of our sofa. Berkline sent out their representative to "take care of the problem" and all he did was take pictures and act shocked that Berkline would fix this because it is "out of warrenty". This is the 2nd repair to this sofa and the new pieces are only 3 months old. We bought the protection plan. They only replace items 1 time. I asked the repair man if he has seen these seam issues before.. his answer .. "Oh sure". SERIOUSLY! If I would have know this I would have NEVER bought a Berkline product. We would have been better off to buy a cheaper product and replace it. It is $2000.00 worth of JUNK.

• Ba
      17th of Sep, 2010

These are the worst reclining sofas I have ever had. After 1 month the mechanism broke, had it repaired and 1 year after the original purchase (not the repair datethey broke again. They do not want to know about it at corporate. NEVER BUY ANYTHING BERKLINE> They are crap. I bought them at Costco and see if they will do something. I have asked Costco to get rid of all the Berkline [censor] out of there stores

• Di
      11th of Aug, 2011

I have had a Berkline since 2002. I had problems with the delivery I waited 6 months for the 2 recliner sofas to come . Then wood splinters, screws and foam kept falling out of the open bottom. The springs started releasing and pokeing out we bent them back but over the years one by one spring released. The screws were hard to put back and would keep coming out. It cost me over 3, 000 for the 2 sofas. I was never able to afford another one.The place where purchased on airport rd in Allentown went bankrupt 6 months after purchase. Now I have a bad back because of this
    sofa with the springs caving in and disinigrating foam interior
    The springs are sticking me now on both sides and I have to use bed pillows to sit on them. The recliner won't fully recline and basically I'm afraid it might stabb me while I sit . So I sit gently. If you like nightmares buy Berkline. Disgusted consumer

30th of Aug, 2014

Many years ago, we purchased a Berkline sofa, love seat and chair, all reclining. They lasted many years even with the heavy use of four children. We replaced just the sofa about three years ago. Had problems with the springs and reclining mechanism. After many calls, they finally sent a repair person who did replace the defective parts but told us he would never buy Berkline but said that as an upholsterer, it was profitable for him to work on Berklines.. I had to pay for the labor. Berkline just sent the replacement parts. We foolishly then bought a matching Berkline loveseat recliner. Same thing happened. We now have a sofa and loveseat that are falling apart after only three years. Cushions are flattened and springs are broken, making the person sitting "fall into" the chair. Will never buy Berkline again. Reluctantly, as I check on line for alternatives, I see very similar complaints for the other brands I am checking out. My best advice, find a different brand.