Apria Healthcare / do referring physician's get compensated by apria?

United States Review updated:

A physician wrote a prescription for a cpap system. The order was sent to apria. I received several phone calls from apria, but have not received the equipment. A few years ago, this same physician's office submitted a prescription for a cpap system. It was submitted to apria. After waiting a considerable period I called my insurer and was told that apria was not "assigned" to provide cpap equipment, and my insurer told me that they searched other companies to get a good price for the equipment and then arranged the "delivery" of the equipment. I have to wonder if there is a "conflict of interest" with the physician and apria? When I called my physician's office to report what the insurer had told me, I was told that they use apria and have never had problems with my insurance provider. Based on my conversation with my insurance provider, I called and requested that I get my cpap system from a provider other than apria. They were not happy. When I gave them the name of another cpap system provider, they took on a negative tone, but agreed to go with a provider I found on the internet who was approved by my insurer.
Historically, when I got my first cpap system, I had to attend a class with about a dozen others. Before the class commenced the "trainer" had us fill out all the paperwork in advance. This paperwork included a "review of the class". The class was told what answers to put on the "review" form. I found it irritating to have to give a positive review of a class, sign it and date it, even before the class had commenced. The training would not start until all the paperwork had been signed, dated and reviewed by the trainer.
The local apria provider only has appointments to bring in equipment 2 days per week. And the hours to bring the equipment in are extremely limited. If the 2 days this week are "booked" then you are pushed to the following week.in one instance, all I wanted to do was purchase air cleaner filters. I could only do that on one of the 2 days that are allocated for customer service. So, I ask the question, if I need a cpap and i'm not offered a list of vendors to choose from, why has the physician's office always choose to fill my order through apria?

Comments

• Wm
      Apr 24, 2011

Norm Payson(CEO Apria HealthCare) has previously been Chief Executive Officer of two publicly traded health plans, Oxford Health Plans as the "turnaround CEO" (1998-2002) and Healthsource, Inc. as co-founder and CEO (1985-1997). Prior to Healthsource, Dr. Payson was Chief Executive Officer and Medical Director of a 120-doctor physician group practice. He became the "darling of the HMO's" by dropping sick customers that that were using the insurance, raising premiums of the healthy customers, and denying coverage to new customers with preexisting conditions. With more profits and fewer customers, he was able to reduce administrative staff. Sure enough, the company became Profitable! These practices will soon be considered illegle in the new government Health Care Program. It takes a certain type of personality to do this kind of dirty work. Those people are called "Sociopaths", and are usually found as characteristic of criminals.
    Norman's annual income while at Oxford was $75M and $115, 375, 414 when he excersised stock options. Now he make far more than that. His total worth is estimated to be over $1B.
    Is this a Great Country or What?