Ameriprise Insurance / homeowners insurance

1 Magalia, CA, United States

We had a break-in and major vandalism of our home two years ago, filed a claim, and Ameriprise has done everything from cancel our coverage to use all sorts of delay tactics that continue. In 2017 there was a similar claim and a lawsuit, Lopez v. Ameriprise, that ended with a $1.3 million jury award against Ameriprise. As with the Lopez family, our family has had our lives destroyed for two years and counting by Ameriprise dishonesty and delay. They actually paid to have our home gutted down to the bare subflooring with all sorts of demolition, but it was only a tactic to make our home unlivable so they could pressure us to take a low-ball settlement. Eight months ago, against timely procedure requirements, invoked the Appraisal process to determine a reasonable settlement amount to rebuild or replace our home. Instead of doing the Appraisal or seeing to its completion, they have done nothing for 8 months but use it as another delay tactic. We have paid our mortgage for the past two years but are unable to return home, or have a home anywhere, on the road all this time, running up huge hotel bills, another way they try to wear us down so we will take whatever their next low-ball offer will be, and they have done that several times, always a crazy low-ball offer to settle the claim. One thing to watch out for with them is how they make sure you use up your living expenses coverage on your policy which we did about a year ago, so we have to pay out of pocket for our lodging, always eating out, etc. They delay your claim forever so you are under financial pressure and go deep into debt which gives them more leverage to settle for a few pennies on the dollar as to what they are required by law and your policy to pay to restore or replace your home. Watch out for this company. They cannot be trusted to do anything right, and they in fact do everything wrong, even the way they had our home gutted and recontaminated, wasting lots of coverage funds out of spite and meanness. Ameriprise has been fined many millions of dollars for their bad acts, but they just keep it up. If they were fined a few billion dollars maybe it would get their attention. They should be shut down by FINRA and the SEC because they continue to do what they were heavily fined for and it had no effect on their ongoing misconduct on our claim or anyone else's. They have even had us attacked by their Adjuster that 911 deputies had to remove after Ameriprise sent him and took over our home. We will never feel safe at our home again in the slight chance it could be rebuilt. Ameriprise acts like an organized crime group in the way they have harassed us several times now. Their scam includes keeping you on the road, off balance, so they can use their vast resources and organization against us by taking advantage of the fact that we don't have an office or den to sit in to see this claim to a fair end. They are vicious, especially considering they happily exploit my military injuries as a totally disabled Marine Corps veteran. They even caused the loss of my service dog and have ruined my wife's life and the lives of our two boys. A truly sick and horribly destructive company!

• Updated by Victim of Capital One Credit Cards, Jan 02, 2018

I find myself having to file two complaints in the same day against Ameriprise. Earlier today I filed a complaint here about their abuse and delay for two years mishandling our homeowners insurance claim. After posting the complaint I checked my email and saw an email forwarded to me that was from Ameriprise, sent BEFORE I filed the complaint. This is a desperate company, because that email by one of their lawyers is him sending an internal memo at Ameriprise falsely accusing me of making what he childishly calls an "implied threat". Their lawyer asks his handlers including the claims rep mishandling our claim for the past two years and counting, if he should contact the police and FBI. How manipulative can you get? He also asks if he should basically tell mommy on me and then names two of his fellow employees of Ameriprise that he will tell. It is so pathetic that one of the guys he wants to tell is no less than the President of Ameriprise Insurance (someone just as corrupt as he is), and the other is Manager of Homeowners Claims. Apparently Thute thinks it is some kind of crime to tell him that hundreds, thousands, or people have filed all sorts of complaints online and with the authorities for the way they mistreat policy holders and mishandle their claims. He whined about other things, desperately twisting the facts to make it look like I threatened him or someone. This is so ironic, especially since it is Ameriprise that has several times flat out assaulted us at our home and elsewhere, time after time, forcing us to call 911 deputies that have intervened and removed them! Ameriprise has to be the most manipulative and dishonest I have ever encountered in life. They assault us at our home, take it over and destroy it instead of repairing or replacing it, then cry like little girls when I tell their sneaky lawyer that he is as dishonest as they are. Now they have threatened to call the police AND FBI on me, they really sound paranoid and delusional, simply because I told them how pathetically dishonest they are. If you have any kind of coverage or investments with this company you should look into the hundreds of complaints against them, the multi-million dollar fines against them, and then ask yourself if you can count on them to cover you if you have a home or car loss claim. Why would they be fined so much money and have so many complaints against them, and I almost forgot, why would they get a jury award against them recently to pay another homeowner with a claim and mistreatment almost identical to mine $1.3 million dollars including major punitive damages, PLUS the Lopez's legal fees, if Ameriprise was not up to no good like I am saying they are, and hundreds of the other victims continue to file complaint about them. Why hasn't this disgusting company been shut down by FINRA, the SEC and other oversight agencies yet? Surely that is coming! I am so glad I fought for America through several wars in the Marine Corps so I could make it home only to be so badly abused and exploited by such a pathetic company.