Americas Best Value Inn / Golden Beardispute for quality of service, unethical service and, hospitality unsanitation hotel room and not in compliance by law

My husband Ryan, and I stayed at Americas Best Value Inn/ Golden Bear (Americas Best Value Inn - Berkeley/San Francisco) at 1620 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702 from 9/12/18-9/14/18 for a business trip for my husband.. We checked in late the evening of 9/12/18. After we went in to our hotel room #131, we noticed discovered that the bathroom window was open with no screen. When we tried to close the window, it would not shut. several bugs were flying in through the open window and they were in the bathroom and room. Also, the bathroom bulb was flickering, clearly needed to be changed to a new bulb. I called the front desk and spoke to the woman (same person we checked in with on 9/12/18) and I told her about the issues discovered and I asked to changed us to another room and for a discount. She offered only $5 dollars off, and said they were full and could not change our room. There were only a few cars in the parking lot and several vacant rooms on 9/12/18, so she lied about being full, it was obvious that the motel was not full.

It was not until the next day, 9/13/18, as my husband was getting up and ready to leave for meetings, that we discovered the heater was not working. It as central air/heat panel actually hidden behind the wall television. Once we found the panel, I squeezed my hand under the television to try to turn up the heater. It would not turn on. It was set to 72 degrees, and would not allow us to turn it any higher, as well as the wall heater, not working at all.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Berkeley, CA So the room was freezing and was well below even the 782 degrees shown on the panel. They only had a fan with a string to pull to turn on above the bed. No air conditioning or heater was working. Next, we found the while taking a shower, that the bathtub would fill up with dirty water from the drain, and the drain would not drain basically. It was so disgusting and awful and my husband had to rush to his meetings for the day and evening with no time for us to switch hotels. If we had discovered earlier hat the heater and bathtub/shower drain was not working(plumbing issues) we would not have stayed there.

When we checked out on 9/14/18, I asked the girl at the front desk if I could speak with the manager and I stated all of the issues. She said that she was sorry, and she would have the manger call me that day before charging my debit card for $342.
I never heard from the manager that day and so I called several times and they would not answer the phone, as it went to a Full voice mail. Finally on Monday 9/17/18, the manager, Kanal called me. I explained all of the issues and he apologized, admitting guilt, only offer 25% off. I asked for 50% off and he said no. I filed with my bank a Dispute of Quality and service in order to waive all fees for our terrible experience.

We are shocked by our experience and disappointed as we have always had a good experience at Americas Best Value Inn. I am requesting that this hotel waives our fee and that a inspection occurs as well. This hotel at 1620 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702 is not up to code.

Sincerely,

Ti
Sep 20, 2018

Comments

• Ro
      Dec 31, 2018

I attempted to check in to the America's Best Value Inn, located at 1990 E, Rees Street, Breaux Bridge, LA 70517 on 12/31/2018. (New Year's Eve.) The hotel appeared to be mostly empty. A foreigner (young man likely in early 20's) quoted me a rate and showed me a room (102) close to the office. I agreed to rent the room and he took my driver's license and credit card. After he copied them, I noticed a "no pets" sign hanging on the wall. I mentioned that I have a "licensed, registered, Service Dog". He wanted to see documentation, (which is a violation of law--see below), but I readily produced, it anyway. He was satisfied with my proof, but still refused to rent me the agree upon room and tried to switch me to a different, less desirable, room. The ADA requires EQUAL ACCESS to Americans with disabilities and his refusal to rent me that room ... when it had previously been offered, violated my EQUAL ACCESS to that room, which he would rent to someone without a disability. I asked to speak with the manager, and he produced an older foreigner, who likewise refused to offer me the previously offered room. These foreigners (Iraqi? Iranian? Or whatever they are) feel they can thumb their noses at our laws. They seem to think they can be lawless here, as they are in their own countries. I recommend that this motel be dropped from the America's Best Value Inn group. I intend to file a legal claim with the US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, and ask that they be convicted, and deported.

I produced:
    "Heidi"--Registered Service Dog
    Your final number is [protected].

Section § 35.136 Service animals part "f" of the Americans with Disabilities Act says:
    (f) Inquiries. A public entity shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person's disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public entity may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public entity shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public entity may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person's wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability.
    Law states: "When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff (or members of the public) may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task."
    What is a Service Dog?
The United States Department of Justice defines a Service Animal through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal specifically trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If an animal meets this definition, it is considered a Service Animal regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government. Please visit the Delta Society for more information on Service Dogs.