Alienware Sentia 3450 Laptop / Alienware's warranty is total crap!

I recently purchased a Alienware Sentia 3450 Laptop computer. Before purchasing the computer I spoke with their sales representatives asking them to about their warranty. I was told that the computer had a On Site Warranty service. When I received my Invoice from Alienware it also said, “ON Site Svc” and 1-YR 24/7 WARRANTY (NO CHARGE) WARRANTY and ON-SITE WARRANTY WARRANTY .

After using the computer for a few weeks I noticed that the connection from the power supply to the computer was getting hot soon it stopped working on A/C power and I could only use it on battery.

I called Alienware and explained the problem. I was told that I would have to send the computer to Miami to technical service to get repaired. I told them that I had on-site Svc and a ON-SITE Warranty. I was told that the ON-SITE warranty only covered items that could be easily fixed such as bad memory or a bad hard drive, but if the system had a larger problem then it would have to be sent to their repair facilities in Miami. It would take at least 12 days to be repaired plus the shipping time from Los Angeles to Miami and then to Return.

I spoke with JAKE in Customer Service at extension 6115, SONIA the Technical Service Supervisor, HENRY the Technician and ERNEST another Technician.

The call was made from 8:30am to 10:30am on Monday, Oct 23, 2006.

I strongly suggest that you are very careful before purchasing any product from Alienware and completely understand their warranty. If you can’t afford do without your computer for a few weeks or more if something goes wrong or you believe an On Site Svc or On-Site Warranty means that they will fix your computer on site. Don’t purchase from Alienware.

Sincerely

[protected]

To

Comments

27th of Jan, 2007

I'm having the same problem,... d c power jack burned up and the idiots wanted to keep sending me useless ac power bricks at a $ 20 security deposit a piece ?! I can't believe they'd ruin their rep over an $8.99 piece ... dell is totally cutting these people up... alienware's service used to be incredible.

• Bi
      16th of Sep, 2009

THOUGHT I WAS GOING NUTS my sentia 3450 has maybe 50 total hours on it so far, yet when i plug the power adaptor in while using the unit the dc jack area gets BURNING HOT!

When I contacted alienware about it telling them how I have barely used the unit they said we will send you a new power adaptor, I fgured they knew what they were talking about and went thru the process, sending mine in getting their replacement, when it came in I charged the unit up for use but didn't use it while charging.

Sat in closet for almost a yr actually till i recently pulled it out to start using it again (work issued laptop was returned due to me leaving that company), so back to my personal laptop.

Anyways plugged it in sat down with cooling pad on lap (fans usb cooler) plugged in turned on and within about 20 mins it was so hot (only in that dc jack plug in area) that it MELTED the end of the power adaptor!

I am SO ticked about this, partially my own fault after getting the replacement power brick not putting the unit thru regular use to immediately know it was still messed up, but also for Alienware saying oh its the power brick no problem let us replace that for you at no charge.

Seems the more i search google for M3450 and dc jack I am finding more and more of these kinds of posts about other users having the same issues, if I replace this power jack (most places online do it for under $100) will this fix my problem?

Thanks for any input,

First and Last Alienware for me,

Bill Austin
    billaustin11@gmail.com
    White Lake, MI 48383

Even spent lots of time asking around about this issue without much input really...

Wish we could band together for a recall demand as this thing cost me a good Grand+ and has seen such little use and has been babied so much it's insane that anything is even wrong with it...

• Bi
      16th of Sep, 2009

Anyone else having this same issue with their alienware sentia 3450 power jack on laptop overheating and getting way too hot, did you get your dc jack replaced and if so did that fix the problem?

I see the companies on the web that offer this service but am not 100% sure if this will fix the issue or not.

Thanks for any help on this,

Bill Austin