Coast Dentalfraud/patient abandonment/billing practices/not providing due refund

My husband went in for dental work on 2 front teeth in May. He was told it would be $1201 up front and they would restore the teeth, do root canal, and crown the teeth. He went in for the first visit, it was discovered he had an abscess and he was provided antibiotics and told to come back. He returned in June 2012 for the root canal and was told they could not perform the root canal and he would have to see a specialist. He then requested refund of the money we paid up front to be able to pay the specialist. He was advised by Nancy that this refund would come from corporate and would take 4-6 weeks. In September, we had not rec'd a refund and we found out they had billed our insurance and rec'd payment for the root canal. Not to mention we rec'd another bill for $668 from Coast Dental. We called and have called since and have been advised that the refund takes 10-12 weeks. We were told by Jolie in September that we would not be receiving a refund of the up front fees we paid to them for the services they had not performed to date because "it doesn't work that way" and my husband would have to return to them to finish the work after the specialist performs the root canal. I filed a complaint with the BBB and in October they responded to them that they would be refunding us and our insurance company for services not performed and any expenses we incurred. When I called Jolie in the Lakeland office, she advised this amount to us is $850. So essentially we have paid $351 for them to grind his teeth away and put on temporary crowns along with our insurance company payment. We also have yet to see the refund since their start date for the 10-12 weeks has moved from June to now October. This is rediculous. We contacted news channel 8 and they recommended we try the Florida Dental Association before they get involved. This is our next step for patient abandonment, insurance fraud (billing for services not done and receiving payment), and fraudulent billing practices.

• Id
    idrankthebeach May 03, 2013

There's a lawyer looking into a class action suite against them for this stuff.

• Ca
    Carol23 Feb 21, 2013

Coast Dental in Bradenton has doen the same to me! Made me pay for dentures and services up front, $870.00, , now not doing the work and will not give me back my money! Telling me it will take 6-12 weeks to hear from corporate if I get a refund or not!! How can a company be allowed to work this way? How come no one is doing anything about this when they have done it to so many people?? I have contacted 8 on your side too, but no answer yet! A lawyer is next!