Butterfly Download NetworkNo response, no refund!

I'm e-mailing to complain about butterfly download network (movie downloads). First, they have set up a "consumer report" webpage which recommends themselves over any other movie download service; I naturally decided to trust that recommendation and signed up with them. I have since been able to find out that this page was, at the very least, associated with the download service. Then, their service is not at all easy to use. There are errors on the webpages which make it hard to find out how to proceed. When I e-mailed them for help, they e-mailed back quickly with a standard set of instructions on how to successfully get started. When I became able to sign in to start downloading, the majority of the downloads they offered were accompanied by red or orange bands (indicating poor quality) or were in foreign languages--there were few good choices of movies or TV programs. I therefore e-mailed them to ask for a refund of my membership fee, which is part of their promise--to refund the full fee within the first 60 days. All of a sudden, I can't get a response from any of the 3 e-mail addresses I have. Also, nowhere on their website is an address, phone number, or other contact info (which should have been my first clue about them!) Anyway, I repeated my e-mails, and got a response from one of them--exactly the same info about using the download service! Nothing about my refund. All I've got left is to lodge complaints, hoping other people will not be taken in by these guys.

Thank you for the forum to post this complaint.

• Ke
    Kevin Lastname Nov 23, 2006

Thanks Buddy I had my Credit card out and was ready to give them money but then I said "This is to good to be true" And I read this. Thanks

• Ba
    barbara reilly Nov 28, 2006

To late for me I just found this page day after signing up with them, its riddled with corrupt files its impossible to download any file. also tried to get my money back, with no luck can anything be done to get this site barred?
    Thanks

J. Anderson Dec 04, 2006

Also, too late for me. I doubt that I will be able to get my money back. I saw the recommendations on this site and wonder if they were put up by the owner of Butterfly!! Company should be investigated.

Charlie Dec 05, 2006

I saw the "consumers choice" award, that from this site I see they awarded themselves. I took a look at the site and knew I would find this type of info on the company. The older I get the more skeptical I become. Thanks for the warning and the $40 you saved me.

Charlie

Rod Stover Dec 06, 2006

Also too late for me; I really suckered for the fake recommendation at http://www.consumer-guides.to/moviedownloadreviews1/a.htm
    Had I followed it for a few days, I'd become suspicious. I wonder if MasterCard would cancel? Thanks for the heads up; sure wish I'd investigated before banging in my card number. I'm also just clueless about what it is I bought; does LimeWire have anything to do with Butterfly? It seems to have a mind of its own. Live and learn (hopefully).

Dan Grise Dec 06, 2006

I wish I had come here first. I have been trying to check out Butterfly Networks and "ConsumerGuides.to" for the last hour. PC World did not address Butterfly specifically, but warned of crummy file sharing sites offering "unlimited" downloads. Their list of movies just released to theatres this week was my first tip off! Thanks for saving me $40.

Rod Stover Dec 06, 2006

Upon complaining, I was given url www.clickbank.com/cs/cs-inquiry.cgi and, thankfully I saved the page with the clickbank order number, and ALTHOUGH I haven't yet seen the credit on my charge card, it appears I'll be refunded. Of course, it could all be an elaborate sham.

Dan Kelly Dec 12, 2006

Stay away from butterfly network. It is definitely a sham. Ive just blown my money on them.

• Ju
    Justine Verigin Dec 15, 2006

This this the biggest scam ever. I hate butterfly network. Stay the hell away from those jerks.

• 12
    12197777 Dec 21, 2006

I totally agree. Butterfly Download Network (BDN) is definitely a scam. The web site http://all-free-movie-downloads.com/ is the one the sucked me in and I was dumb enough to hand out my $40.

The BDN site, or at least the front of it, does have a very professional look. It makes you believe that it has all the movies, music and other goodies for download for forty bucks, for a lifetime. And it makes you believe the site owns them, legally.

Then I did the stupidest thing: I signed up. I then check the site out with the username and password they sent me. After I logged on, I found out the rest of the site (the back) is not very professionally done. Also the members page starts with "Welcome to the world of P2P ...". Peer To Peer? I started to get suspicious. (Remember the old Napster?)

Then I start checking out the links on the site, after all, dumb me did pay for it. They're all external links to sites to download files, usually movies or music, from untrusted/underground sources. BTW, you can just go to those pages without logging on to the butterfly download network ... I felt cheated.

I start looking at what's in those external sites. I discovered that some of the items offered are just released, like Eragon. I also discover some sites offers a download of Microsoft Office! From those two items alone, I concluded that most (I cannot say all) of contents those sites/links provided in the member's page in BDN cannot even be legal!

So I decided to cut my losses. I would rather loss a lousy forty bucks than to have the cops come after me for copyright violation. I did find this in Yahoo! Someone claims to successfully get a refund from BDN.

I just submitted my claim so hopefully the person who posted the reply is right. Regardless, I should have done more research before committing.

There are many more sites like BDN and even more "reviews" to recommend those sites. They all promise unlimited downloads for like $40 for a life time. As they say, if it is too good to be true, it is. Don't be an idiot like me. Stay Away!

• 12
    12197777 Dec 22, 2006

Update: The refund process does work! You'll need to locate the e-mail that they sent you and click on the Customer Service link. (I have an e-mail from them saying that they'll refund it.)

In the drop down select "I would like to return the product" and in details just tell them you're not satisfied.

I do not know how long you can have from singing up before you cannot have it refunded anymore, but for those of you sign up recently, it is worth a try. (I've read from different places saying 30/60 days, but in my case it is more like 1 day).

Hope this is useful to all of you that want that $40 back.

• De
    Debbie Stewart Feb 24, 2007

I agree with all of the complaints about the Butterfly download network, and I only wish I had done more research. I just tried it on Feb 8, but I fell for the fake recommendation site. I, too, could not get anything to work. I have a mac and the limewire they offer is not for the version of OS that I have, Tiger. Also, I fell for the special pro package, which was all .exe files (which only work for PCs). When I complained to customer service, I did not get anywhere. I got two replies which gave me a generic faq. They had not read my letter at all. PLUS, when I hit "reply" to THEIR letter, it gave me "affiliates"@butterflydownloadnetwork.com which sends a letter that says not to write them. I didn't write them, customer service is set to reply to that other site. I wrote two strong letters demanding my money back and got NO REPLY. They are an utter scam. The movies I tried to download were going to take two t0 five days! This is with high speed access! I have sent for my refund through the click payment people-the website that I got for my receipt did not give me any way to get a refund. I have also complained to the payment company, that they should drop Butterfly from their list of clients as they are a ripoff and they will be handling a lot of requests for refunds if they keep handling Butterfly and people wise up.

Marie Mar 19, 2007

Wow! Thank you for all those who have posted their stories.

I was hyped and about to get out the credit card and give butterfly a whirl!

WHOO! GOOD LOOKING OUT GUYS!

I'm glad I always check for reviews on the internet before taking the plunge!

Been there and done that!

Jorge Mar 25, 2007

I might be naive, but as soon as someone asks for money (without a demo option or free tour) I'm very suspicious.

Thanks for warning!!!

• De
    Dennis Mar 25, 2007

You guys saved me $40.00. I was ready to pluck down my credit card number and thought, I wonder if I can find anything out there about the Butterfly network before I buy in. The first few pages I found were all positive about it and then I found this page. I thought it sounded to good to be true and apparently it is.

I guess I'll just stick with 360 Share for downloading my music and Block Buster online for my movies.

Thanks for the tip.

Christine Collins Mar 31, 2007

Lucky for me I realized it was a con when I asked for a refund and the e-mail I sent came back. Contacted my bank and stopped payment as I was wary, looks like Ive been one of the lucky ones.

Chris Horst Apr 01, 2007

The butterfly network is a joke.The Downloads for software are free wares you can get many places on the internet. The links are to public sites you can access for free with a little googling. The 40$ they charge also does nothing to make your downloads of music or movies legitimate, they're still illegal downloads your paying for.Your basically paying for nothing you couldn't get for free anywhere else. All they've done is compiled a list of free stuff and put it all in one place. Stay away from them and tell your friends to do the same, that place sucks.

• Va
    Valerie Marquis Apr 09, 2007

Thanks for the advice. They almost lured me in with the glowing phony reviews. Good thing I decided to check it out first.

If you really want to watch movies for free and are not adverse to a little research and an illegal activity, check out BitTorrent file sharing where you actually can get free movies others have uploaded onto the net.

Once you decide which BitTorrent software you want to go with (there are several and they are free), try out The Pirate Bay.org. You will also have to download various media players like Xvid or DivX but they are also free.

Good Luck!

Rob Franklin Apr 16, 2007

Just found the "letter" and dumped my money. I will stop payment on the debit card tomorrow. These people need to be arrested.

• Ga
    Gail Gomer Apr 19, 2007

Thank you so much. As a single mum you have just saved me money that i really cant afford to lose. I thought it was to good to be true!!

Rob M Apr 21, 2007

Thanks for the tips...

• St
    Steve H. Apr 25, 2007

Yes, Butterfly Download Network is a scam and almost all of the available downloaded content is illegal.

• Ev
    Eva Dumar Apr 25, 2007

I lost my password and sign in name for the butterfly download network. I cant get them to e mail me back. Is there anything i can do?

Johndennick Apr 25, 2007

Butterfly download network is the biggest pile of crap I've ever paid for over the internet. What u need to do is download bit torrent software and look for files uploaded by "axxo" (only avi files are genuine axxo and are near perfect quality) you may need to download a file converter for converting avi to dvd where u can convert and burn straight to disc (highly recommend cucosoft avi converter/just google it)

Marianne Lambert Apr 30, 2007

Hi, what an idiot I am. I fell for it... but, I am worried that they will take money off my card. Has anyone had them take over expensive charges or false charges later on?

Good luck to those who avoided it... commiserations for those who didn't!

Please let me know if I should stop my card; whether they took more than anyone signed up to. Thanks.

• We
    Weeraboon Apr 30, 2007

Thanks FYI, I'm considering to be a membership with Butterfly Download Network. But I'm not sure.

David Groundwater May 01, 2007

Whoever is behind this site is a thief. The best it offers is to download software that is free anyway. It is in no way legit. Do not give them any details or money! If any clever user is out there, please track these mongrels down and post all their details online.

Cheryl May 10, 2007

We signed up 2 days ago and the password that was given is wrong and won't let us on site we contacted our credit card firm there holding the account and looking in to the site we only joined because of the good read up.

John May 13, 2007

I can't believe I found this ButterflyDownload network of a link in the Microsoft Market Place. I know it was just a sponsored link, but this could badly catch out the most vulnerable people who are shopping online for the first time after buying Vista. I was only looking for DVD burning software (as MS don't see fit in putting any such tool in the OS) and I thought MS might be finally allowing some freedom in their media downloads. Usual story, it it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Max Noad May 15, 2007

Hi, I wish that I had seen other complaints about this company before wasting my time and money. Don't touch this company!! There are many honorable sites out there, this isn't one. Have a great day, Max

• Tm
    T. Marcus May 19, 2007

I have been seeing these type site popping up all over the place ever since the FBI has been trying "in vein" to bring down the bit torrent sites. As the saying go's " If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is" They have done some misleading advertising for sure, also what they do is illegal. They do not have the rights to any of the movies, songs, or any thing else on there site. I followed the ping traces i did to there site and they traveled all over the world. Africa , Asia, Philippines. Yahoo has them on there site and i have informed them of these transgressions. The funny thing is , or maybe the not so funny thing. The FBI is spending millions on trying to rid the Internet of Bit Torrent sites, but do nothing at all to these SCAM type websites the generate billions of dollars in stolen money. Then again we are not the MPAA and don't officially donate to the FBI, so why should they do anything. Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the only agency that has contacted my back after i wrote to them, lets hope they can stop these people from ripping others off.

• Ji
    Jill Freytag May 24, 2007

Thanks so much for this site. I am very new to the world of downloads and am having a hard time finding a ligament company. If anyone has suggestion, would appreciate a heads up. Jill Freytag

• Fl
    flo allison May 28, 2007

EVERYTHING THAT IS SAID ABOUT THIS SITE IS TRUE. Stay well away. I stopped my card and i now i may have lost my money.

• Ra
    Rami May 29, 2007

I like your service.

Sam Whitewick Jun 01, 2007

If anyone fell into the trap and wants a refund then complaint to click bank. You can do this by following the link on the email that was sent to you by them (receipt). I then said to them:

Hi there, Please could I have a refund for the item as the item is false advertising and i could of got the information for free elsewhere. I have contacted customer support from butterfly network but I have not received a response!
    Thanks!

Within a few hours i got a full refund!

• So
    Solomon Kasper Jun 01, 2007

Yeah... too late for me. STINKS!!! The reason I signed-up was because it was rated number 1! However, I do agree as well, that obviously they made-up that recommendations page. Hopefully, this forum can save other people $50 or so. That's a lot of money!!

robbiedee Jun 02, 2007

Hi everyone thanks for the comments was just about to pay them as well. Wouldn't it be good if someone sent them a virus. Lets just hope they get whats coming to them.

• Di
    Diana Jun 02, 2007

If you sign up for this site an easy way to get your money back is to goto clickbank.com (the site that they transfer their money through) and tell them what happened and they will return your money. Also if you are looking for a good site for getting movies.

You have to download the program called BitComet as well, that is what you use to download the movies. Then if you go on Torrent Spy and search for a movie (you don't have to pay for anything on that site) you hit the 'download torrent' button... try searching in the search box for "AXXO", all of the movies that come up are amazing quality. After you download it you have to burn it using ConvertXtoDVD (search for that on google, you have to pay for that program, i think $30 or something), that program is fairly straight forward to use.

Hope this helps!

• La
    Lakeyta Thomas Jun 22, 2007

Please help me with this situation. I paid for this site already and it turned out to be just as crummy as you have described it. Unfortunately, I didn't see this before I paid for it. Is there any way that I can get my money back? Also, isn't it possible to contact the Better Business Bureau and have them shut down. I believe that if they got enough complaints from everyone here that maybe they can shut down the site.

Chris Jun 22, 2007

I totally agree with the original poster. They, like many others, managed to scam me as well. Figures. Something too good to be true, normally is. Thankfully, I managed to get my money refunded. Here's a copy of my email and their reply(I sent it to ClickBank customer service).

My email (I was tired, don't mind my typing):
    Subject: I would like to return a product.

Details:

I paid a totally of $24.95 USD to a company called "Butterfly Movie Network". Unfortunately, the website is a complete scam, and I am completely and utterly unsatisfied with the product. The homepage of the website looks semi ‘professional, then there's no business links. Also, every link inside of the website is an external link to some illegal underground download sources (PirateBay.org, Bitorrent, Imesh, Limewire, etc). I would greatly appreciate it if my money were refunded.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Their response:

The full amount of the purchase has been credited back to your account VISA*######

Please note that it may take up to 5 business days (Monday through Friday, not including US holidays) for the credit to appear on your account.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices