Brighter Blooms NurseryPoor Customer Service

I placed an order with 'Fast Growing Trees Nursery', I believe possibly a sister company of Brighter Blooms, and received a coupon for free shipping with Brighter Blooms. Went to Brighter Blooms website, placed a second order using the free shipping code given to me at the end of the order form and placed the order. I received a confirmation still showing shipping costs moments later so I contacted their live chat service and asked for the gentleman's help to remove the shipping costs but was told there was nothing that can be done on an order that was already placed (5 minutes ago) and I would have to pay the shipping charges. I then asked that the order be canceled and I was subsequently told there would be a 10% cancelation fee on my now 8 minute old order. When I asked if there was someone else I could speak with about the situation I was told I was speaking to the Manager of Customer Services. With every exchange from this Manager I was never offered any alternative to help resolve the unsatisfied Free Shipping offer.

After this unusually rigid and terse exchange with the person who's job it is to take care of Customer Service I became quite nervous about what I could expect of my sizable orders and I contacted my Capital One Visa representative to ask if I had any recourse. He very kindly called the company and successfully accomplished a cancelation of both orders.

After reading all of the negative feedback both companies have received I was very greatful for Capital One's help with ending both transactions. I absolutely would not recommend you do business with either of these questionable companies.

Sincerely,
Carla in Pittsburgh

• Jj
    jjacobson83 May 14, 2016

I wish I could give this zero stars. Ordered 4 pink double knockout rose bushes (2 gallons) and they were absolutely tiny (with only one or two buds max per bush). The 2 gallon double knockout rose bushes that they are selling at Lowes, Home Depot and our local nursery appear to be about 10 times the size of the bush they sent us (and were about $10 cheaper at each of the stores). Sent customer service pictures of the bushes with measurements and compared next to a 2 gallon bush from Home Depot. Also, Ordered 2 (3-4ft) pink velour crape myrtles and they were absolutely tiny (basically 3 or 4 twigs). The comparable trees that they are selling at Lowes and our local nursery appear to be about twice the thickness of the tree they sent us (and were about $30 cheaper at each of the stores). Extremely disappointed with Brighterblooms, as this was after spending $2, 500 with them this spring. Save your money and go to your local store. See my reviews on other review sites for pictures, as they do not allow you to upload pictures.

• El
    Eleanor Wright May 14, 2016

Last July I received two frost proof gardenia plants from Brighter Blooms Nursery. They were beautiful and healthy and I planted them immediately. However they did not survive the winter even though it was milder than usual. When I ascertained that they were truly dead I found my packing slip and called the company. The representatives were very gracious and informed me that I would get a store credit for $49.98. When I said that the plants cost over 75 dollars I was told that the company did not refund shipping charges. ( It's in the fine print.). So it cost me 27.00 to get nothing. Now if I use the store credit I will probably have to pay shipping charges again. It's not the representative's fault. She was lovely, but I am upset that it will probably cost me another 27.00 for shipping of the new order. I have used other nurseries and had a much better experience. Replaced plants without additional shipping charges. I will never order from this place again and will suggest my fellow gardeners not purchase from this company either.

• Ha
    Hammer18 Sep 16, 2014

Let me amend this review as I did just receive an email from the customer service manager resolving this issue. The company has not only corrected their website description for these bushes (yes I checked before writing the amendment to the review), but they have also refunded our money on the bushes, which I do really appreciate. While I was very upset about this issue as you can see below, I do have a lot of respect for companies that correct issues with their customers and do the right thing and this company has done that. THANK YOU!

• Ha
    Hammer18 Sep 16, 2014

BUYER BEWARE of this company and their FALSE ADVERTISING!!! I recently purchased 4 Gold Mop Cypress bushes from this company. While they were quick to ship and reasonable priced, they were VERY deceptive in their advertising and have yet to resolve the issue in any sort of acceptable matter. On their website they specifically state that this plant is a "brilliant shade of shimmering yellow gold that is maintained throughout the year", well guess what it's not true! When I received the bushes they were an ugly lime green. After exchanging emails with their customer service department, I come to find out from their "specialists" that I received the correct bush, but that the plant actually has an "attractive yellow foilage which emerges gold in the spring. The threadlike leaves are ornamentally significant and turn lime green in the fall..." Um, not at all what their website states. Then I'm told by the customer service rep that "With our website we cannot place all the information on there on every tree or plant we do put what is most important." No, you only put what you want customers to see...they have a 10 paragraph 348 word description of this plant on the website and NO WHERE in the description does it state that the plant is only yellow/gold for 6 months of the year and turns green for the remainder of it...they specifically state it is yellow/gold year round!!! Their proposed resolution was also an insult as they first tried to state that I used a filter in taking my photos of the plant, which I didn't, used my iPhone...but then they want me to pay return shipping and a 10% restocking fee for their false advertising!!! I would expect them to pay return shipping and no restocking fee with a FULL credit as I only ordered these bushes from them due to the plant's description on their website, had it been accurate and not FALSE ADVERTISED, I NEVER would have placed an order in the first place!!! Please do yourself a favor and steer clear of this company, they are awful and have false advertising, it's not worth wasting your money with them!!!

• Si
    Sixtiesgirl Jun 05, 2014

Last June I placed an order for seven plants(two Sky Pencil Holly, two red rhododendrons, three autumn ember azaleas) with Brighter Blooms. When the plants were received in July, they were a little "beat up" from shipping but overall looked like they would survive. I immediately planted the items and while they didn't "thrive", they did appear to be growing. In the spring, I looked forward to seeing the rhododendrons/azaleas bloom but instead all three azaleas and one of the rhododendron were dead and the other rhododendron doesn't look like it will survive either. I contacted the company on May 30 (with pictures of my now dead plants) - their deadline for determining whether a plant is indeed dead! According to the Brighter Bloom website, they would respond to my inquiry within 48 business hours (or sooner). It is now June 5 and I still have had no response. Yesterday, I tried writing a review (negative of course) on their website, but of course, they won't publish because they only publish positive reviews! My only regret now that I neglected to take pictures of how poorly the plants looked when they were first received. Buyer BEWARE - Brighter Bloom does NOT stand behind their product!

• Li
    linda clark May 01, 2013

I purchased two autumn embers azalias last fall when the arrived one looked very distressed but I planted them in lg. pots till I could decide where to plant I did email them and got a response they told me to plant in ground so I did and said wait till this april to see if they come out well they didn't and now I cant get a answer about them these don't come cheap so the LAST ONE I SPOKE WITH SAID SEND A PHOTO TO THEM. I will try, don't believe it will do good I think they are crooks but will tell all that I know to be aware of this company!

• Sw
    sweetpotatoe Jun 09, 2012

I just ordered a peach drift rose from Brighter Blooms. It took 2 weeks to get it. I think they order it from manufacturer after you place an order since they say it can take up to 3 weeks for them just to ship it. I talked to sales person there and she said they ship out 6K plants a day and that is why it takes so long for order to get filled. I don't think they have that kind of inventory to fill those orders. My plant arrived via Fedex and the dirt was falling out of the unopened box. The plant pot is literally stapled to the inside of the box and it takes a lot to get it apart from the box. The drift rose was scrunched up and had black spot all over the leaves. So much for disease resistance. I will need to treat this plant before I put it in my yard not to infect other plants. The plant looks like a scrawny version of the ones they show in their videos. Not impressed. Earlier this week I bought two Knockout roses my local nursery. They didn't have black spot . They had tons of open and closed buds and they were 3 gallon and they were cheaper than the the one gallon drift from Brighter Blooms. I will never order again from Brighter Blooms. Look for these better varieties and ask you local nurseries first.

• Ge
    Georgia Plant Buyer May 04, 2012

I ordered a rose bush online for Mother's Day for my mother in North Carolina. The online form does not have a place to enter a shipping address and does not give you a chance to review the complete order before submitting it. It default ships to the billing address, which in my case is in Georgia. What a horrible online ordering system. I contacted customer service to complain, asked for a manager and was sent to a voice mailbox that was full and could not accept anymore messages. I complained to a sales person, who said management does not ask for his input. Do not order online from BrighterBlooms.Com

• Ti
    Tim in PA Mar 30, 2012

Plant was dead out of the box. Sent 1 question request and 2 request for replacement. I called the same day as the second replacement request and was told that maybe by the first of the week they could get back to me. I will give them the benefit of doubt right now but so far the customer service is not great. When the plant is replaced or money is refunded, I will repost a comment. The picture below is after 2 weeks out of the box. Basjoo Banana Tree.

• Ss
    S. S. Smith Apr 26, 2010

I placed an order from Brighter Blooms This past week end which was to be sent to another address. The page or box to make this notation was so obscure that I got to the end and never found it. Then when I looked at my total another $25.00 bush appeared on my order! There was NO opportunity to edit the order. Since it was the week end, they had no one answering the phones to help me make the adjustment. They have a so called chat feature but it is only manned 9 - 5 during the week. If they can take orders on the week end, they should be available to respond to a customer's order.
    I replied by email, I tried to call them and was redirected to the silent chat feature.

Monday I tried the chat feature again and all total waiting time of one hour my "chat person" Ben asked me the same questions that had already been answered in the "chat"and after about 30 minutes told me that he could send my order to a different address but there would be a $10.00 charge to cancel the rose bush that I did not order! He suggested that perhaps at the end I had clicked on an add on feature and ordered the rose bush. What a scam - If it's that easy to add an unwanted item and then get charged to remove it with NO options to edit your order.

The wait time to correct my order was way past what was acceptable so while I had Ben online, I called the customer service number and guess who answered my call - Ben! No wonder it was taking so long, he was answering everyone else's calls while I was trying to get some help on mine. I will not order from them again and will tell everyone I know about my experience with their so called customer service.

I asked Ben to talk to his superior or for the name of the owner of his company. He claimed he didn't know their names! This after he told me that he worked directly for Brighter Blooms, " right there in their offices". They need to examine their website and look up the meaning of customer service. This is no way to run an online business - create an edit page for god's sake!

• Fa
    FastGrowingTrees Aug 11, 2009

Carla was immediately called back to try to resolve her dissatisfaction. It was explained to her (at some length) why the customer service agent could not adjust her shipping at the time of her call. She originally spoke with one of the sales agents who explained she would be happy to help her and adjust the shipping charge once her order was imported into the database, and asked if she could wait about 30 minutes for this to happen. Carla agreed; however, in less than 30 minutes she had Capital One on the line. The sales agent reiterated she would be happy to make the adjustment, but Carla said she would rather cancel the two orders she had placed. Her orders were canceled without charge. It is unfortunate that she could not wait 30 minutes for her order to be imported into the database, even after she was told the adjustment would be made.