21st Century InsuranceScam and abuse!

21st Century Insurance are crooked and deceitful! I received my new insurance bill for my 2003 vehicle to find that my insurance had been raised $252 for 6 month period, which is $504 a year. I have been insured with 21st century Crooked Insurance for over 7 years. I have no tickets or accidents and have been a loyal and good client. This is disgusting and a number of other profane words. How sad that our government does not protect us from this type of shady business practices.

Needless to say, I will be changing my insurance carrier and telling everyone I know to follow suit.

• Ck
    cknjstce Jul 01, 2019

21st Century insurance is nothing but a fraudulent company that diligently collected my premium for 16 years, yet after getting injured in an accidents that were not my fault, one of which the police finally caught and even jailed one of the hit and run drivers that left me stranded in the middle of the road, they refused to fix my car, compensate me or pay from my treatment.
    I am still dealing with major injuries from the accidents and they simply unjustly persecuted me, did a lot of fraudulent things and took advantage of my health issues and ripped me off. Consumer Affairs and BBB did nothing and I contacted the DOI who simply gave me the run around. It's unfortunate the agencies that are supposed to shield one from fraudulent companies, by not taking appropriate actions or tossing the ball, simply enable them to continue to perpetuate fraud.

Missglam67 Oct 17, 2014

I forgot to mention that the supervisor I talked to said the "We want your buisness and don't want you to shop elsewhere..." But it's clear that they don't care if they keep my business or not

Missglam67 Oct 17, 2014

First I want to start by saying that until recently I sang my praises for 21st Century Insurance and have referred many people to them for years because of their rates and claims. I have not had a accident in over 15 years but when I did 21st Century was great and taking care of me and my vehicle quickly. Since then there has been no other incident. Recently they had me in tears because they cancelled my policy over non payment of a late fee of $30! To add insult to injury they will not reinstate me unless I pay additional fees pay off the rest of my premium up front. That is outrageous. I was literally in tears with the customer service supervisor that was unbending and planted her feet and simply said "Sorry, this is policy. We can't reinstate you unless to pay us $300 now!" It all started because my debit card I used to set up Auto Pay was lost on the same day my installment payment was due. I had another account and I immediately transfered the money over and contacted 21st Century to make my payment. They had already added a late fee and a return fee which they would not waive and refused to take the payment without the $30 late fee and return fee. I made the payment myself on their website and went on with my life. Well the premium installment for this month isn't even due yet and they cancelled my policy because I failed to bay the $30

• Br
    Brian- Oct 29, 2013

I have 21 century insurance/ Farmers for a year now full coverage on my 94 Toyota corolla Le/DX in san Jose Ca I first filed a claim on 02/2013 Vandalism for someone attempting to break into my car were i couldn't unlock my door on the drivers side they came out the next day and gave me a check for $ 120.00 ok in July 26, 2013 I had a broken window passenger side took my technician Telecom tools from inside the trunk costing $2, 800.00 to replace Klein telephone pole climbers testers hand tools and wesco boots and did some minor damage to my engine by taking the battery relay switch plug wires cap and coil so I couldn’t drive my car now 21 century gave me a hard time the last time for not filing a police report so I called them about this then after the officer left I called my insurance 21 century oh they be out in 10 days I asked what about my rental coverage it has to be in a repair garage first before we can authorize a rental I replayed what u offered me a rental for the door lock now that I really need on you say no she told me she would have a claims supervisor call me in 10 min ok I waited 40 minis no call so I called back 2 more times and got them to auth it the adjuster showed up 2 weeks later and told me there will be an investigator calling me in 2 to 3 days some BS about my tools taken well 7 more days passes working days and still no contact I call the adjuster finding out he’s on vacation so I call he’s supervisor oh yea I just spoke with the investigator a few moments ago he said he would be calling me sometime today ok thank you guess what no call 4 more days go by I call again get the original adjuster
    Get the name of this investigator and call him my self ok I was told it was going to be a over the phone thing he replays oh I just got this case today so ill be coming to your house in 2 days at 9:00 am on he showed up that day but at 11:15 late he was a fraud investigator investigating me after he left he called my temp job agency I was working for and the client and told them I was under investigation for insurance fraud got me fired I no longer get work from even the agency wont cover my tools now and wont pay for the repair of my car they want to total it it cost me 400..00 in parts plus my own labor
    They offered me 625.00 to take my car and leave me car less I refused it of course I filed a small claims case just the other day for $ 8, 145.00 for bad faith insurance loss of wages 8 weeks plus all the bs

• Scams are horrible! Just yesterday I received a call from 21st century Insurance. The lady on the phone was very stern, "May I speak to Mr. Blankadee Blank? He sent a email to us and wants a quote." I knew right away this was a lie, because that person who lives with me has been to sick to talk and does not know how to use computers well and never gives information about himself or ask questions. So I asked the lady, "Could I have the time that email was sent to you?" She replies back rather insecure, "There is no time." I then told her that all emails have a time and date either in corner or on that page. I asked again what her name was and she relied with her name and said, "It was mid-afternoon." I laughed and told her to put someone in management on the phone, that this doesn't sound right. She tells me, "I will just put you on the Do Not Call List. Thank you for your time." She hung up before I could say another word. Either way, they tried pulling a quick one on someone I care about and that my friend is bad business. So, if someone says 21st century is the way to go, just think about how crooked their way of getting business is. Not saying, you need to agree with me, but I would be worried of loved ones who live on their own, who receive calls such as this and them taking advantage of their mental wellbeing.

• Hy
    hydro12943 Feb 24, 2013

go figure i do not own a car home boat renters insurance or anything but i have a
    21ST CENTURY INSURANCE
    SPECIAL SERVICES D
    3 BEAVER VALLEY RO
    WILMINGTON, DE 19803
    Phone number not available
    Requested On: 11/10/2012 Permissible Purpose: INSURANCE UNDERWRITING
    listed on my credit report. note... I AM DISABLED/75% BLIND AND HAVE NEVER DRIVEN AND NEVER REQUESTED A QUOTE... whats wrong with this picture? i can not even get a drivers license

• St
    studinski Aug 09, 2012

Thank you to all that took the time to vent on this site. I have my renters insurance through Farmers and was looking to add my car insurance. Well, lets just say that my eyes have been opened. And I am having second thoughts about my renters insurance too... I have everything filled out at 21st Century's website except for the VIN number and my checking information. Nope. They ain't gettin' that!

• Me
    memysylfandi Jun 13, 2012

I agree with "Angered at AIG." The AutoPay thing is a scam. If your credit card fails with AutoPay they charge you a $10 fee. The recent credit card information breach caused over a million cards to be reissued. 21st Century Insurance is profiting from all of those AutoPay failed transactions. I was one of them. If you get billed for an AutoPay failure, call 21st Century and speak to a supervisor. A regular CSR spent 15 minutes refusing to waive the fee. A supervisor waived it in 2 seconds.

21st Century is the only company I know of that charges fee for making a payment. The funny thing is, if you send them a check it costs them much more to process, but there's no fee for check payments.

GREED!

• Ns
    nsqfdn Apr 17, 2012

I think what Huck is saying...is that she only joined for the money and not for the support of our country. I've known many people like that. I'm sure it's tough for her as well as her family, but she joined and now they have called on her for her service...I also wish her a safe return. I knew someone who joined the Marines just for bragging rights, the little skinny trouble making punk thought it would make him look tough...he didn't even make it through boot camp, and any chance he had to talk with his Grandmother, he just cried about 'how mean' everyone was treating him. Yeah, I laughed my butt off when I seen him back home with his Grandma...I have to say though, he wasn't 'as much' a punk when he returned as he was when he left.

• Te
    Teddy- Apr 17, 2012

Are you aware of 21st Century Insurrance will charge $50.00 for cancellation fee ?
    Is that ok? It is sound like a bad company.

zonofabee Jun 07, 2011

21st Century was low-balling my insurance quote, if I'd once again buy auto insurance from them. I kind of figured that they would jack up the premiums as soon as I buy their insurance.

I decided to stick with AAA for the time being.

• Rb
    rbrb Jun 07, 2011

they are just like geico and progressive, not worth a rats turd.
    even their commercials are stupid and annoying. most wasted time on tv. they are nothing but a big joke. stay away from all 3.

• Fu
    furby bevy May 16, 2011

I got a quote today from 21st Century which would be $200/yr cheaper. They said "Oh, our rates are coming WAY down in Texas now." Was almost ready to call them back and take their deal, but thankfully these comments came up so I'm staying put too.

• Fu
    furby bevy May 16, 2011

I fell for it too. Is there anything that can be done about these people. The phone number isn't legit. The mags never came. Is it an organized group of crooks?

zonofabee May 16, 2011

I had 21st.Century a while back. Although I never had a accident while being insured by them, we gave them up because of the continuous upcreep of our policy rate. We ended up with AAA Insurance. Still no accident, so like 21sth Century, we cannot report on the results, good or bad, if an accident should occur.

I did have an incident with GEICO. While I was not insured by them, I was driving my truck on a street, a female (GEICO insurance holder) pulled out from the curb, and into the front of my truck. The GEICO adjuster refused to pay for my expenses just "because I happened to be there", even though it was not my fault for the incident to occur. So, I say to you, add GEICO on your list of insurance providers to stay away from.

We are sticking with AAA for now, since they have the lowest insurance rate for my area. If the rate starts to creep up, again, we will start to shop for better rates elsewhere.

• Le
    lemonde May 16, 2011

Thank you all for your feedback. I just got a quote from 21st C, and was considering switching from Geico, but after this informative reading I am staying put. My wife had an accident 3 years ago and Geico delivered outstanding service. So while on paper it looks like I would be saving $200/year, I will gladly pay extra to know I would be taken care of if needed. Thanks again!

• Gf
    GFB08835 May 13, 2011

I wanted to fix and clarify my sentence. (why doesnt the site allow you to edit? jeez)
    The funny part is why do they even contact the person filling out an online quote before theyre even finished when they wouldve charged me 600 MORE per year ?

• Gf
    GFB08835 May 13, 2011

I just got finished getting a quote BEFORE reading complaints listed here and wanted to share the comedy. Currently with Liberty Mutual i pay 1721 per year for 2005 Quest and 99 Durango. So i went online and filled out online quote and as i was doing cell i get a phone call from Century 21. The quote comes up on screen and their prices are 1075 (less coverage) 1126(equal) or 1232(more coverage) per 6 months. I start laughing at the lady and she says let me transfer you to an agent to give a more accurate quote since website is a rough idea, so i humor it and wait for the guy to come on the line. So he reads the numbers real quick and i point out his numbers are 6months premiums not yearly and he agrees. I said WOW. He responded by saying something like "i see we are more and cant help you today" and he hangs up. So if you are dumb enough to use these people after reading the comments on this and other websites then you deserve whatever you get. If i had known they were AIG ### who took all that government bailout money just to give huge bonuses to the upper mgmt. i would not even wasted my time filling out a quote. The funny part is why do they even contact the person filling out an online quote before theyre even finished when they wouldve charged me 600 per year ? Do they really thing i would be interested? Have a good day, and i hope you read this webpage before wasting your time with the quote and rude attitude of the people at Century 21 Insurance.

• Hi
    Highly P''''ed Off May 13, 2011

I have read these complaints above and, as a new 21st Century Insurance purchaser, I am alarmed. I came to this site to protest the fee that is required to be able to pay my premium online. I do not intend to remain with an insurance company that is so blatantly out of touch with current ethical business practices. If this company has no better judgement, where customer satisfaction is at issue, than what I am seeing or hearing then they are not the insurance company that they so vigorously claim themselves to be in their adds. I am also greaty dismayed to find out that I am really doing business with AIG, a company with one of the most alarming, abusive, profit mongering reputations in the history of the United States of America.

zonofabee Apr 20, 2011

If anyone is interested, when you have problems with insurance companies, don't hesitate to file a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner.

• Am
    amk00 Mar 07, 2011

21st century is the worst insurance company I ever had, first they quote you one price and then they change it and they have the worst customer service, agents are rude. Save yourself a headache.

Mi51 Mar 02, 2011

Oh God. You guys are scaring the hell out of me by reading all this crap with 21Century Ins. I just moved my auto from Safeco to 21st Century Auto here in Michigan. I am so sad that we cannot trust quotes by real agents even. I do not trust this new company very much after reading the warnings here. It is 3/2011, so this comment is going to probably update the entire forum on 21 Century though. I have not had any problem transferring so far. I did save money to move from Safeco (which continually is raising my rates) and my homeowners insurance has doubled with them. So I am also bringing my homeowners insurance over to Farmners now (which owns 21st Century Ins.) Geezzzz...
    Now nobody is talking about their insurance credit scores with regards to 21st Century Ins. on this site. I am wondering if
    you all know that 21st Century takes in people FIRST if they have no accidents or tickets in the past 3 yrs. We have not had any of that for over 5 yrs. so they really wanted our business...huh? I will come back and let you know if our premiums increase during or after the first renewal. But I guarantee that IF it goes UP, the policies for auto (21st Century) and the homeowners policy (Farmers Ins.) will get OUT of my life ASAP.

• Au
    aura8 Feb 01, 2011

i just turned in my lease which was a saturn, ive had about 3 saturns.
    bought a 2007 ion saturn. my insurance doubled to $2200 amonth. the safest cars on the road, the reps are telling me there to expensive to repair. in this day and age when most parts are transferable how can it be not the safest car on the road.
    3 reps and millions reasons why. i'm not staying with this insurance.
    i have a week to find a new one and a letter to someone to have them investigated will occur.

very dissapointed, been a customer for 10 years.

• Ca
    Carol Washington Jan 07, 2011

My daughter and I got rear ended, while we were setting at a light . no fault of our own . I had 3 camera 's in my car on our phones and ipod . But, We were in such shock we didn't even think of taking pictures of the other guy and his lady . They had a temporary tag on the car . Well we had uninsured motorist insurance with 21st Century, they have given us the run around after emergency room visits to therapy for months . That they limit . the amount that can be paid for medical . and than offer you an amount that is insulting .
    I have changed companies and I let everybody know what kind of company that are .

M_I_N_E77 Nov 21, 2010

OMG!!! I'm really shock reading all these problems.I've been shopping for auto insurance, , eventhough we have Celina for right now.I've never heard Celina, but I assume it's under Mutual Insurance.
    We pay kinda expensive, so I got online quotes from Geico, All State Frame, Progressive.So far, my fave is Progressive, till a couple days ago, I was being nosey and did the online quotes again.
    Guess what, all a sudden I got nonstop phn calls from Farmers Ins, 21st Ins, State Ins, and others. Ins that I've never heard before!
    I was kinda bugged so I told them to call me back after office hour.I turned off my cellphone, they kept calling me till the next day.
    Apparently, Farmers gave me expensive ( only 9 bucks cheaper than Celina).Same with the others.
    Until I got email today, and checked that 21st century gave me the CHEAPEST rate, only $319/6 months.Meanwhile the others give me range $340-$497/6 mos.
    I was attempted to buy it right away, until I was tickled to get any info about this company.
    I ended up at this web, and oh my...my curiosity is answered!
    I love the rate they give me, but if I will experience this unexpected reason for "not fully coveraged anymore bla bla bla", then I'm willing to pay more or even stick with my current ins.
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.May God bless you and avoid you from dealing with bad insurance who only wants your money.

• Je
    Jeffreypi Nov 17, 2010

Wait until you cancel your auto policy. I was charged a $50 cancellation fee!!!
    I filed a complaint with the CA Insurance Commission. Easy to do online.

MartinGus Oct 28, 2010

21st Century Insurance Scam Artists - 21st Century Insurance is a rip-off!

I switched from my old provider and was promised a much lower rate . They sent me a bill which was about $200 more per year. I asked for a bill that accurtately reflected the price I had a greed upon and they kept sending me the increased rate bill. My policy cancelled and they would not give me an old rate just a new one that was $300 more! 21st Century Insurance are a bunch of bait and switch artists.

-Marty, Tampa

jamie2010aug Aug 26, 2010

Stay away from 21st Century. It is a fraud.

A client of 21st Century hit my car. The client admitted fault and took full responsibility. Unfortunately, 21st Century refused to pay the whole amount, claiming that it was an equal fault. They even refused to review evidence. Unfortunately, the amount is too small for me to go to court. Needless to say, I was stoned for awhile. This company is a fraud.

If you are looking for a new insurance, please try other companies like AAA or Geico. If you are a client, just beware. If you get into accidents, you could end up in court very quickly because 21st century will most likely refuse to pay up.

If you are involved in an accident involving 21st Century client, make sure that you call the police and get a police report. Keep in mind that even with admission of fault from 21st Century client, this insurance company may not pay up.

• Li
    LionelB Jun 30, 2010

thank you also for the reviews, had received an invitation/advertisement in the mail, had seen the televisions ads but after research have decided even if it's $100 less per year NOT WORTH THE HASSLES - again, thank you for the warnings...

• Ds
    dshall Jun 22, 2010

How this insurance company is still in business is beyond me. They take the word "crooked" to a whole new level. In 2004, I called 21 Century for a quote for car insurance. I read the amount of coverage I wanted word for word from the company I was currently insured with. I even went so far as to fax a copy of our current policy and told them I want exactly the same coverage. Since the car I drive is not paid for, I have to carry full coverage insurance. I think, that's like a state law and insurance companies know all about it. The clue is when there is a lean holder. I then got a quote which was lower than my previous ins. company and made the switch (that was my mistake).
    In 2006, I had a car accident. My car has been dragged off by a wrecker from the scene of the accident and I'm thinking everything is going to be OK. WRONG, I call 21 Century only to find out that I DID NOT have full coverage insurance on a car that I was still making payments on even though I had full coverage with my previous insurance company and it was clear on the policy that I faxed to 21 Century.
    So when my bank called to confirm full coverage, did 21 Century lie to them? Remember I was required to carry full coverage.
    Now, my car is not driveable and since the airbags deployed, I can not tow the car off the lot. I do not have the money to have the repairs made. The repair shop said they would buy my car from me for $500 but I still owed $4, 000. I had no choice but to cash in my teachers retirement to make the repairs.
    I have a car that now cost me twice as much as it should have, no retirement and all Thanks to 21 Century Insurance. I hope no one has to go through what I went through! 21 Century is a rip off!!!

• Qu
    Quartzplayer Jun 10, 2010

I'm grateful I research 21st Century. My motorclub suggested them for a lower rate; but after these reviews, no thanks.

• Qu
    Quartzplayer Jun 10, 2010

I'm grateful for these reviews and this site. My motor club sent me a letter stating how I could get a better rate. No thanks. I'll stick with Allstate.

• To
    Tonyacb Apr 14, 2010

I am in such a jam. My son was in a car accident in my car over the weekend and when i called to report the claim I found out that I no longer had full coverage insurance. You can imagine my shock and surprise. I have had the same ful coverage insurance with the same company for over 6 years since it was AIG. When I asked how did this happen, they said I didn't return a consent to rate change form that NC requires. I told them 1st of all I never received a form like that and 2nd of I never had to fill out that form and my policy just automatically renews and I have my prem drafted out of my accuont every month. They said it was canceled in october but when I got my renewal policy it showed from 7/09-1/10 so how could they even change it in the middle of an active policy. I asked everybody I knew and they said they've never heard of the form. Regardless of that, they never even sent me a notice that my insurance had been changed so I could have at least fixed the problem. I've been riding around all this time thinking I have full coverage when I only have liability. They said they are only going to pay for damage to the other car but not mine. My car was still being financed and still owe $10, 000 on it. I can't stop crying wondering what I'm going to do. I told them since I never received they should at least just let me pay up retro the difference and cover my car but they said they won't do it I can only change it from this point forward. Does anyone know what I may be able to do. My car is totaled, I have no transportaion, I've been getting rides to work and renting a car 0n the weekend which is costing $70 I have no money to keep paying for4 it or I'll have to let some other bills go, my car is at the tow shop they won't let me get my stuff out until i pay for every day it's been siting there, I still have a car pmt to make or that will be on my credit. I'm just so depressed and don't know how I can get out of this or what kind of help I can get.

• Bk
    bkHouston Apr 11, 2010

This is what I did this afternoon. I sent this to the 21st Century customer support folks...

Why I am leaving 21st Century Insurance next month:

First I want to thank you for all of the years that I was with you. You were still AIG back then and then the big bailout issues happened. Then you were 21st Century. I was leary after the change over, but I stayed around because you already had my policies, and I was too lazy to change. Now you are going to be Farmers. Well, my policy is up on the 1st of May, and I called to pay my premium in full for the next 6 months. I really wish that I written down the agent's name. I was told that there would be a surcharge to pay my premium online or by telephone. I asked her if there were any other options, and she said that I could mail it in. So if I pay online or if I do not pay in full, you guys are going to raise more money by adding more fees. I asked if this fee could be removed and she basically told me that No, and that was the way it will always be if I wanted to be covered by this insurance company. There was no other option. I found the option, I do not have to be covered by your company after my policy is done. Apparantly, there are plenty of other companies out there that seem to want my business. I saved over 100.00 on my policy for more coverage. I know times are tough out there, and people are worried about financial uncertainties, but I would highly suggest having customer service people working for you that know about customer service. I felt like I was nothing but a number to your company. Kind of bad, considering I don't think your company can survive without people needing insurance. Hopefully this doesnt fall on deaf ears.

• i find it disgraceful that 21st century charges 3.25 to process an online payment. Online payments in fact are more cost effective for companies that processing checks. Ridicules !!!

• Pe
    Peeoooded Mar 26, 2010

DUMP your 21st Century POLICY the old AIG...now going to be Farmers

In Oct 2009 I canceled my policy after 1.5 yrs due to a sudden 30% increase for NO reason... now they want a fee of $30.00 plus for their trouble ???... even thought I paid up the six month term policy. They are sending it to collections threatening to ruin my credit... Those Thieving ###os.
    I will most likely pay it... ( but I will have my $30.00 satisfaction in telling everyone I ever meet, know & have known and blog too to boycott this thieving company and when it's farmers I'll tell that story too... you can run you thieving ###os but you can't hide..

BOYCOTT 21st Century Auto Insurance and feel the POWER LUKE

• Wv
    WVmom Mar 23, 2010

I sure am glad for everyone's comments! I got a quote from 21st last night and it was going to save us about $700 a year to insure three cars. I told them I'd talk to my husband and call them back tonight. But after reading this page, I've changed my mind!

• Au
    Austin Tom Mar 16, 2010

In November 2009 I had an accident in Austin TX that was clearly the other driver's fault. The other driver and I were unhurt but because of the angle of impact my car was totalled. My insurance company, State Farm, was very helpful. Within a week they had paid me off and I had a new car. Then I had a call from the other driver's insurance company, 21st Century, asking me to describe the accident and asking if they could look at my car (the one that had been totalled). I told the adjuster they were way too slow and the car was in some junkyard, who knows where. I recently got a letter from State Farm saying that they are sueing 21st Century for not reimbursing them for the accident. My guess is that they never paid the other driver for the damage to her car either. What a scam! State Farm is not cheap, but they really came through for me, very fast and efficient. To top it off, recently I got a letter from 21st Century asking me to rate their service at an online website. When I went to the website, it had a line "Last updated January 5, 2009" (Yes, 2009, not 2010) and it would not accept the logon id they had given me. These people are out to lunch.

• Cw
    CWA Dec 15, 2009

For Farnold: File a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner of both CA and NV. Do it in writing and send a copy to the present of 21st Century and FARMERS who now owns 21st. Also if you have a local TV or radio station "trouble shooter" or "consumer advocate" try getting on the air about the problem. If that doesn't work, try a pro bono lawyer or legal aid. Light a fire under them and something should give. Get a copy of the police report. If all else fails, picket 21st century and drop a note to local TV shows and get a bunch of your friends to picket also. Good luck.

• Fa
    farnold Dec 15, 2009

I also had AIG auto insurance before 21st Century took over. My car was stolen while on vacation in Vegas on August 29th 2009 and it is going on four months and 21st Century still have not settled my claim. They keep telling me that they are still investigating while I continue to pay for a car I no longer have. My claim ajuster never returns my calls, they said I have to keep paying insurance on the car until the claim is settled. I'm so frustrated and not sure what my next step should be. My car was a black 2005 honda accord, great car !!!