Universal Trust And Finance Inc.Fraudulant contest

J

Letter states that I won a Super Seven Contest for $250, 000.00 and must pay taxes of $2985.00 via moneygram at WalMart. With their letter was a phony check for $4880.00.

The letter says to call my claim agent George Benson for tax information at [protected].

More Universal Trust And Finance Inc. Complaints & Reviews

• Au
    autumrayne Apr 23, 2009

I received a letter from Universal Trust And Finance Inc. Saying That won in the Super Seven contest.. $250, 000.00... with a phony check for $4885.00... Saying they want me to Western Union them $350.. Looks like a real check, but it is fake... Becareful!! don't fall for it.. once you call them, they wont stop calling you.. Telling you they will except anything you will give them.. Fraud!! We need to bring them down..

• Ti
    Tiffany Bell May 01, 2009

Yes, I received the same letter. I deposited the check and waited for it clear their bank, however it ended up being a bad check. I called "Tom Clark" back and he said that a cashiers check would be mailed out to me in 4 weeks. Of course as I began to ask more questions, he all of a sudden had to go. FRAUD!!! Can we do anything about this? The check was from a Wells Fargo bank account. It looked like a real check with water marks and everything.

• Om
    Omar Alfaro May 04, 2009

My name is Omar Alfaro.

I received the same letter. I thanks to all of you that let your comments in this page. I did not do anything but loock for the existence of GENTEX CORPORATION in Carbondale, Pensylvania and PNC Bank, National Association in Allentown, PA. Both of them do not exist. Then, I loocked for Universal Trust and Finance, and found this place with your comments.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

• Rh
    RHughes May 08, 2009

I also received this letter and was very curious. I had a feeling this was a scam and I am so glad I found this site before I called them Thanks for your insite on this decetiful letter!!

• Br
    Brandi235 May 11, 2009

My mother received the same letter. She is older and is on disability. She is naive! So she called me and I told her I had heard about something of the sort on tv about it being a scam. She even called the company to ask them if it was legit. Of course they told her oh yea! Well I am glad that I found this site! How does these people sleep at night. Screwing over the elderly!!!

• Le
    Leah May 13, 2009

BUYER BEWARE!!! New Scam within universal trust. i received a letter saying that they were a mortgage and trust company offering me 4, 300$ for a $41, 000 loan, it was for Home Improvement Loans that I never applied for

• Wi
    willie k May 20, 2009

i too received the 4885.00 for 2985.00 letter a few days ago. knew it was a fraud because the tax on 250, 000.00 dollars would be a minimum of 28% or 70, 000.00. thankful though for people getting the word out.
    willie k

• Mr
    mrsplatinum May 23, 2009

i recieve this same letter my claim agent was name tom mark my husband said it was a scam this needs to stop so please be careful!!!

• Ka
    KA3AK May 28, 2009

Same as the above except differnt street address!!

Universal Trust and Finance Inc.
    International Claim Department
    1047 King Street Morriston
    Ont N0B 2C3
    Office Hours: M-F:8AM-9PM, Sat:8AM-7PM

Check was in the amount of $4885.00

Door and Harware Supply, Inc.
    205 Herbert ST. P.O. Box 191
    Perth Amboy, NJ 08862

Claim Agent: TOM MARK

From: Morris Lexington
    President

• La
    LANCE CYFORD Jun 03, 2009

WELL WHY IS THIS ALLOWED TO CONTINUE? WHY CANT THEY BE STOPPED FROM DOING THIS? WE COMPLAIN BUT THEY ARE STILL AROUND DOIG THIS TO UNAWARE PEOPLE! SOOOOO WHY CANT SOMTHING BE DONE ABOUT THIS ISSUE?????

• Fr
    Franco Jun 17, 2009

I also received a check for $4885.00 saying that I won on Super 7 Contest knowing that I din"t enter any contest or LOTTERY, that was a FAKE check but out of curiosity I went a little further to check and the only thing that came back was this site saying that everyone had receved the same check I will keep it and frame it just to show people that I won something but I decieded not to cash just keeping it for a sovinier

• Na
    nanx Jun 18, 2009

I had the sinking feeling it was just a new twist on an old scam, thought about it a bit. I didnt want to risk a long distance phone call over this, then did a search on the net for super seven contest, universal trust and finance inc. I found this page. Thanks everyone.

• Bi
    big babe's wife Jul 13, 2009

I don't appreciate these people playing with my emotions they know people need money right now. I will be getting in touch with the police on this matter. This is ###. They r gonna get there's in the long run.

• Wi
    WILLIAMYUNET Jul 24, 2009

WARNING!!! I DID RECEIVE THE SAME LETTER FOR THE AMOUNT OF 250, 000.00 SAYING THAT I DID WON THE SAME SUPER SEVEN CONTEST AND A CHECK FOR 4885.00 SAYING THAT I HAVE TO PAY TO THE GOVERNMENT TAXES 2985.00 THIS IS A FRAUD DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THIS LETTER SAYS EVERYTHING IS FAKE. WILLIAM .

• Lo
    lovebug1984 Oct 28, 2009

WELL I RECIEVED THE SAME THING IN THE MAIL I DID LOOK UP ALL THE INFORMATION ON THE LETTER, ONLY THING WITH ME IS THAT I WENT TO THE BANK WITHOUT CALLING THE COMPANY AND GUESS WHAT I GOT ALL THE MONEY THE CHECK WAS LEGIT AND RECIEVED THE WHOLE LUMP SUM AMOUNT OF 4, 885.00 THE SAME DAY. NOW MY QUISTION IS HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE WHAT I DID AND SENT IN THE TAX AMOUNT IM TOO SCARED BECAUS IF I SEND THE AMOUNT I MAY NEVER GET WHAT WAS PROMISSED AND THEN IM STUCK WITH NOTHING IM THINKING JUST KEEP THE AMOUNT I RECIEVED AND NOT SEND THE TAX PART, AND NOT BE GREEDY LOOKING FOR THE REST THAT WAS PROMISED TO ME. ANY ONE HAS ANY INPUT FOR ME? WHAT SHOULD I DO

• Ka
    kate41271 Nov 09, 2009

I received a check today in the mail from Universal Trust and Finance Inc claiming that I had won in the Super Seven Contest from March 3 2009. Check was drawn from JPMORGAN CHASE BANK NA Chicago IL. The check has the watermarks as well. Seems legit but I am sure that it is not! My Claim Agent was Tom Howard and the address was:

International Claim Department
    2065 King Street Morriston
    ONT N0B 2C3

To bad that these scam artists can't put their talent to better use to help the economy in a good way! They should be ashamed of themselves!

• Po
    polla Nov 28, 2009

I received the same letter---the super 7 contest- 4885.00 prize. Check #15531/divers Supply. I wonder if any body fall in their trap.
    Thanks

• Je
    Jerilove1 Dec 02, 2009

I too also received the same letter less than 24 hours ago only check was drawn on Bank of America Divers Supply, I even deposited this in my bank acct after being assured by my claim agent Tom Howard that this was legit, I couldn't sleep the whole night thru and up and down all night. At 3:52am called 800 number at Wachovia asked representative what to do about check already deposited told to notify Lost management between hours of 8:00am and 8:00pm.

It should be a way these type of people should not be able to do these things to people it's just not right.

• Kn
    knj Dec 02, 2009

I also received this scam and unfortunely I did not look into it before I deposited the check into my bank account. Now my account is closed and I have been placed in the check fraud system. I have been calling by supposed agent TOM HOWARD at: [protected] all morning trying to get him to fax me a letter saying that they sent me the wrong check to submit to my bank so my name can be cleared. I have been getting the run around from Mr. Tom Howard...I wish I would have found this site before I deposited the check...But the funny thing is per Tom they are going to send me a cashiers check in the next three weeks when it didn't even take that long to received the bogus check...

• Ni
    nicole harrison Dec 03, 2009

has anyone reported this? i got the same letter today, called the number and was told by Tom Howard that it was okay to deposit the check. the bank teller said that as far as she could tell it was a real check. i called him back for "tax information" as per his letter. i knew that it wouldn't be enough to cover the full taxes on the $250, 000, but I maybe i would pay the rest of the taxes later. I was skeptical, but excited about the thought of winning that kind of money. it would take all the pressure off of worrying about how i'm going to pay for school. i would like to help catch these people. does anyone have any ideas? or are we all just complaining and doing nothing about it.

• Ba
    barbie82 Dec 10, 2009

My sisters husband recieved the same letter. Thank goodness she showed me the letter and check and asked me what I thought about it. The check looked real! I read the letter over and over nothing seemed right about it (no return address on envelope, you had to send them money before you got yours, had to call a guy before you cash it inwhich the name was like just some random name someone through together and it said to keep your winnings "Confidental"). I told her to wait until I got home and I would do a reverse phone look-up before she tries to call them. Needless to say the phone # was an unpublished cell phone out of Tronto. I continued my investigation into it and then when I found this web page I knew it was a SCAM!! She will be contacting our local Better Business Burea to see what can be done. This is terrible the way the economy is and it is almost christmas-alot of people might fall for it. I hope someone can catch these scammers!!

• Da
    David G, victim Dec 16, 2009

This is a fraud!!! My Huntingdon Valley, PA company's actual name and account info has been fraudelently stolen and printed on these bogus checks being sent out for $4, 885. We have received many calls in the last few days questioning the legitimacy of them, as our company name and address is printed right on the check. However, we were not responsible for any of this, as WE DID NOT ISSUE THESE CHECKS. The criminals at Universal Trust and Finance have stolen our account info and have issued bogus checks against our account. We will be pursuing them to the fullest extent of the law. In the meantime, please DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DEPOSIT THESE CHECKS. They will be rejected by our bank and returned as Stop Payment to you, and we will not be resposible for any fees or other amounts you may have paid.

• Jd
    JDJH Dec 21, 2009

I received the same letter today in the mail along with a check for $4885.00. I also received 3 phone calls in the last 2 days claiming to be the supervisor and they wanted to know why I was worried and wouldn't wire the money since I received the check to cover the cost. I told them because the check is a FAKE. I got the same kind of a check 2 years ago and when I deposited in my bank the money was taken back out one week later stating it was a bad check. When is the government going to do something about this. How can they say they can't trace this. How many people have these people scammed and got away with. I am glad I checked the name of the company on the internet before acting. I have even called the FBI and filed a report they don't seem to care or they just don't want to stop it. There has to be something we can do to stop this...

• Jd
    JDJH Dec 21, 2009

my letter was the same but this time it was a check from Wachovia Bank.
    I have reported this to the FBI but they don't seem to care. It is so sad that they can get away with this scam. They are making millions of dollars off of honest hard working people.

Christian Pitkin Dec 21, 2009

I too got the same letter titled Universal Trust and Finance Inc and a check from Wachovia Bank for $4, 885. Plus, I have been HOUNDED with phone calls from these crooks. I will need to block their calls and of course, tear up this bogus check! Be Careful.

• Rl
    rlm1325 Dec 28, 2009

Ok my mom got the same check and letter. The company on the check that was sent to her is Divers Supply in Charlotte, NC . I looked it up on the internet and it looks lagit but hey what do I know. The check also is a real (looking) check from through Bank of America. I am glad she asked me before she tried to deposit the check. People are horrible.

• Er
    ER-F Jan 10, 2010

Ok, I'm the next unsuspecting soul who received the same BS letter about the prize winning $250, 000.00. How cruel can a body be especially in light of our present economy? Good thing the letter arrived on a Saturday. I lost sleep last night, made plans, agonized and was literally torn apart. Then I researched. The Company and the Bank seemed to be in good standing but then I picked the letter apart...no logo, improper formatting, no Dear Ms. So n So, and that key phrase "Keep this CONFIDENTIAL" threw up red flags in addition to the question, how the freak is $2, 985 enough taxes on $250, 000.00? Needless to say, further research this morning led me to this site and I'd like to thank everyone for their comments especially the ones advising not to call the agent and the person who figured out the proper amount of taxes that would be due. So now, what CAN we do to put a stop to the cruelty?

ER-F

• Rd
    RDH8645 Jan 26, 2010

I received the same letter and check written on a check from Phoenix Air check drawn on Wachovia Bank out of Rome, GA. I wish I had the guts that one person had to deposit the check and get that money. Don't know how she got to be so lucky, it would bounce on me. Anyway I am glad to know it is a fraud before I got all excited about it. The companys whom have had their identy stolen are also victims.

• Fm
    F M Strong Jan 26, 2010

I wish there was something that we could do to stop these people. They should all be in jail. I 'm not trying to single out any one group, but the guy that I talked to was Asian. This same thing happened to my grandson. He wasn't smart enough to listen and spent part of the money. Now he owes the bank over one thousand dollars. The guy that he spoke to was Asian also.

• Tr
    TrayceB Feb 01, 2010

I received this same letter today in the mail. It was from Universal Trust and Finance Inc telling me that I had won a Super Seven Contest and $250, 000.00. There was a check for $4885.oo from a Thomas Scientific Co included and a number to call before depositing the check. My claim agent was listed as Tom Howard. I was certain it was a scam but decided to call and have a little fun with this. So I called. I should have known as soon as a man with a Nigerian accent answered, that I was right that it was a scam. I asked them how I won a contest that I never entered. He said my name was entered randomly from places that I shop. He basically recited the whole letter back to me and stressed that I keep this confidential. He told me to call him back after I deposited the check. At that point I told him I thought it was a scam and I asked him why the check is from a Wachovia Bank in NJ, and the envelope had a stamp from Canada. He seemed to get very agitated with me and insisted it was not a scam and that I would be getting a cashiers check for the remainder of the money. I never deposited the check and I guess as the old saying goes...if it seems too good to be true, then it is too good to be true.

• Ha
    Harrie73 Feb 10, 2010

I received this letter today, saying I had won $250, 000.00 in the Super Seven Contest, and I was to keep it confidential, and send in the taxes which is $2985.00 on the the $250, 000.00. I could send a Monegram from Walmart or Western Union, I would be receiving tax information from claim agent Tom Howard. I knew right away this was a fraud. I called and said is this a scam? The man speaking like a foreigner, said call back in 15 minutes. Scam...of course I won't be calling back. I am going to send this to the
    Attorney General of the United States. By the way the check looks real and drawn on the Wachovia Bank, N. A. from New Jersey. What a scam...

• As
    ashamed53 Feb 16, 2010

Received a letter from Universal Trust and Fimance Inc today with same check $4, 885 - same crap everyone else ab ove has gotten. I agree, these crooks should be caught and punished - where has integrity, honesty and conscience gone? I've always heard about the scams, never thinking I would fall for something like that, and I fell when I was told I was the winner of $350, 000 cash and a check for $100, 000 taxes already paid, but I had to pay for a bond in the amount of $3, 000. I fell for it - all common sense left my intelligent brain focusing how my financial hardship would be resolved and I wasted $3, 000 of my hard earned money, and have been beating myself up ever since. I reported this to the FTC because they used their agency name, identified themself from the Currency Division, (they look for pattterns - and don't act on individual complaints), the FBI, had to file a local police report, now I'm in their system, and the FCC - no government agency cares - it dawned on me an hour too late that it was a scam and I tried to cancel the transaction, but the money had already been picked up, I'm sure they had a good laugh at me, and I am living the shame of being scammed. I can't tell a soul - then they had the audacity to call me back and said my package got stopped in Customs in LV and I needed to send $18, 000 to claim it - with a contact name - so I called the McCarron Airport Human Resources - there is no one by that name there - when they called me back I asked how they could sleep at night - with all that sales talent - and they are pros - why can't they make an honest living. They insisted it was legit and they'd try to get me a government loan to pay for the customs, blah, blah, blah, I told them I was not sending another dime. They made me waste my day waiting, I had to work to make up my hours missed from work, I was sick. Now I must have gotten on a mailing list because I now won $250, 000! What a world we live in. Thank you for this site - I was able to at least unload some of my shame.

• Rs
    RSandberg23 Mar 01, 2010

Received the same letter today, googled Diver's Supply in Jacksonville, FL, they are aware someone is using their name for this fraudulent. I also contacted Wal-Mart as they are being utilized in this scam as well.

• Qu
    Quackity Apr 03, 2010

My father got the same $4, 885.00 check today. It looked realistic, but had the same unrealistic tax information ($2, 985.00) on winnings of $250, 000.00. It was written is if from a legitimate business with a real bank in NJ. We had a good laugh about it, then he gave it to the cop who lives next door. The ironic thing was that the Canadian postmark bore the words "Prevent Fraud" in both English and French!
    I caution the woman who was actually able to cash the check to hold on to the money. These crooks are using real accounts from unsuspecting and uninvolved businesses. It's remotely possible that a fraudulant check could be honored initially, but eventually the mistake will be detected. We thought it was funny, because it was obviously a scam, but I feel sorry for those who have fallen for it or have had their hopes falsely elevated. The people running the Universal Trust and Finance Inc. dupe should be relentlessly sought after and punished. However, I seriously doubt that anything will be done. Peace.

• Cl
    clemmis Apr 10, 2010

Received the same letter and check mentioned here.
    Very interesting reading, I must say!
    Here's the kicker: They supply me with a check for $4885.00, but I have to send them back $2985.00 for taxes?
    Since when can you pay your taxes via Walmart with a Moneygram?

Oh, and they URGE ME to keep notice of my winnings confidential!

I'm sure they don't want me to tell someone who could alert me to the scam before I cash that check and mail them the money, right?

People, this is a common scam: they take advantage of those looking for something for nothing.
    In today's economic conditions, many people pray that these scams are real, so they can pay off debt or go an a vacation they can't afford.

It's just unfortunate that individuals mailing out these scams are not held responsible and punished for their deeds.

All one can do is toss it all in the shredder.

You stand a 100% better chance by playing the lottery, which is little chance at best.

If you cash these checks you've already lost but it may take a few days or weeks to find out.

Hear what others are saying here and throw the stuff away! Don't become a victim!

• Fb
    fbeye Apr 10, 2010

i recieved my check for $4885.00 today (4/10/2010).
    it was on a check headed "fashions by penina" in marlton, nj. that company does exist.
    it was drawn on "commerce bank", 336 route 70, marlton nj 08053. that bank does exist.
    i will be calling both to inform them their businesses are being used as well as the pa attorney generals office.
    scam no more.

• Do
    donna1565 May 01, 2010

Just received the same letter, here it is 2010 and they are still scamming people. Why can't they be stopped?

• Sc
    scammed500 May 18, 2010

Just recieved my 4885.00 check from my 250000.00 winnings in a contest I never entered or have never heard about. They are getting better because the letter looks really official, however I looked up the "wild West Domains, inc" who the check is drawn on and found minor descreapancies in the address such as suite # 219 instead of 229 which is listed as their number, street name was misspelled by one letter, Scottsdale, AZ was misspelled by one letter and zipcode was off by one number. Not the type of mistakes that a bank or company makes on a legitimate check. However at first glance a very good forgery. my Claim agent is Susan Black and of course it is supposed to be " CONFIDENTIAL"

angrymomnk Jun 15, 2010

Got a letter from Universal Financial Inc. The letter was mailed to my 12 year old son, saying he was chosen for some kind of home improvement grant.They sent him a check for $3, 375 and said we had to send the money in for processing fees. They told us to call Frank Daniels @ [protected] to get the check approved. SCAM, SCAM, SCAM...please be AWARE!!! Here is some information they put in the letter.

Universal Financial Inc.
    P.o Box 2877
    Brooklyn, NY 11233

The name and address on the check
    Universal Homes Inc.
    P.O Box 1890 New York, NY 10021
    NBT Bank
    Lake Placid, NY

• Ra
    Rachelle Savoy Jul 13, 2010

My mother who is an 86 year old woman recieved this exact letter. Same information as the others. She called my older sister who investigated it and found this website. Shame on those who prey on the elderly people. It even stated in so many words in the later. There time will come. Taute

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices