United Benefits Of AmericaPhone Scam and Fraud

Scam alert!!! - unted benefits of america
I was contacted by an "insurance broker" after filling out an online health insurance questionnaire. He told me of a plan that was specifically geared towards people who were unable to find health insurance coverage because of pre-existing conditions. After detailing the plan to me ($10/ $30 doctors office co-pays, no deductable, etc.) I exclaimed to him that it sounded too good to be true. He laughed and said "that's what everybody says". When I told him I was interested in signing up he asked for my ssn and my checking account information. I told him I was uncomfortable giving him this information (but like the trusting fool that I am) I went ahead and gave it to him. He then proceeded to record me agreeing to the "terms and conditions" of the plan that he detailed. The first months premium and a non-refundable sign up fee would be directly deducted from my checking account. I was informed that I could cancel at any time. After some thinking and some online searching I began having second doubts about the plan. I called up the "broker" the next day and asked some further questions. He emphatically assured me that this was not a discount program and that I was being enrolled in a full medical insurance plan.
Needless to say, 7 days later when the booklet and explanation of benefits arrived, I knew I had been taken. There were no medical benefits other than a prescription discount card, a program that was supposed to make it easier to apply for a medical line of credit and some discounts on wellness care. There were also theme park discounts, road-side assistance discounts and some other trash. I got on the phone immediately with them and asked them to cancel the plan and process a refund. I told them that the plan contents were misrepresented and that I expected a refund of all moneys. They gave me no argument.
After 6 weeks of phone calls a refund check for the full amount arrived by mail. I deposited the check into my new checking account (I had closed the old one at my banker's urging). I was happy but somehow knew that the trouble was not behind me. Lo and behold, on checking my account balance, I find that the check has either bounced or they have stopped payment on it. I will find out in the morning as their offices are closed. I would have been happy putting this behind me as a poor decision, but now the gloves are going to come off.