Ubreakifixbreach of warranty

M

On 4/24/2017 I went to a local UBreakiFix location with an iPhone 6s that was not turning on. I was advised to leave the device, and come back shortly after they diagnosed my phone or "unit" per contract.

When I returned later that day, I was told it was a dead battery that had to be replaced. They told me they would not touch perform any repairs, unless they knew what the issue was. After reading their 90 day Warranty policy which states the following...

"If the unit should malfunction, it must be returned to UBREAKIFIX store or service center for evaluation ... UBREAKIFIX's Customer Service Department will diagnose the repair immediately upon receipt. Upon examination by UBREAKIFIX, if the unit is found to be defective it will be repaired or replaced at no charge.

A week after, my unit died again and would only charge when it was off. I went back to UBreakiFix and they "repaired it" The next day, the same thing happened and they "repaired it again. About a week later, the same thing happened again and this time, they asked for me to drop the unit off for an extended time. When I returned, I was told it shouldn't give me any more problems.

Everything was fine until 6/11/2017 when my battery died again. By the way, they use aftermarket batteries, and to the best of my knowledge not certified by Apple. I went the next day and they refused to even look at my phone again. I was told I had a defective unit, and the batteries were being "shorted". If they fixed it again I may or may not have the same problem and offered me a refund.

I refused the refund and demanded the "defective unit" be replaced per their contract. I was then told, you either take the refund or walk away with nothing. I asked for an explanation as to why the warranty did not apply, and was told that they've already done enough. My phone is in pristine condition and less than 2 years old.

They forcefully gave back the $91.93 that they had gave back and re-affirmed that if I did not take it I would walk away with nothing. That same night I filed a complaint with corporate, spoke with "Nate" the following day.

Nate from corporate (Extension 2012) sided with the store and said they gave me a refund in lieu of the warranty and asked me to read the warranty. He clearly had no idea what the warranty stood for.

I now have a phone that Apple will not even look at because it was worked on by a 3rd party company and has aftermarket components. I was aware of this, and decided to go with Ubreakifix for what the warranty stood for.

Beware of UBreakiFix!!! Take your phone to your original store for repair. If this has happened to you with these crooks, share your story- this has all the markings of a class action lawsuit. There may be others out there just like me.

breach of warranty
breach of warranty

• Bi
    Bill Hummel Feb 08, 2019

I agree! I took my 9.7" iPad Pro in for a new button. I was quoted about $55. However, the fine print on their work authorization sheet states if they break my screen while attempting the repair, then I am liable for it. Well, they broke the screen so now my button repair turned out to be way over $200.

Since they use 3rd party parts, the Touch ID on my iPad will never work again with their button. Every time I boot up the iPad, I get a nag screen that says TouchID not supported. Also, their 3rd party screen does not work properly with TruTone where the screen changes tint and brightness according to the surrounding conditions. The screen they gave me just cycles through the various shades fairly rapidly so I have had to disable TruTone as well. These are some of the problems you're going to run into with their 3rd party parts. Not to mention that Apple will never touch your device again!

Now, it's about one year later, and their replacement button has failed again. Im going to take it back and see if I can get it fixed under warranty. I doubt it, so I will probably just use the iPad Pro 9.7" as a dedicated Home Theater controller. Ive already ordered a new iPad Pro 11" anticipating that they won't or can't fix my button.

My recommendation for all newer Apple iPhones and iPads is to pay a little extra and get REAL Apple repairs. Many times Apple just swaps your device so now you are getting a phone with a new button, a new battery, a new screen, everything is back to the old Apple device you once loved.