Tru Talent ManagementFraud and cheating

The only 'Tru Talent' that this 'agency' could possible pass on to the young, trusting and naive is how to scam people. They prey on the young.

Only the very young, trusting and totally unworldly would believe that a 'talent agent' would walk up to them in a Target Store (In the case I know personally know about, 'them' was one fairly tall average sized and average looking young teen and one short and fairly heavy average looking teen) and tell then that they were a 'natural' for model and acting.

First off all, how would this 'agent' know that they were acting material and what exactly is his definition of a modeling 'natural'.

Secondly, a reputable agency earns money 'for' their clients and doesn't fleece you as this 'agency' does. A couple thousand plus for 'acting and modeling' lessons that 'naturals' do not need since they were apparently already perfect enough for him to make a snap decision.

Third, $40. per picture for 15 god-awful pictures that were supposed to be posted on a 'web site' that never materialized (which, by the way, included the not too classic measurements of one of the girls who was 17) is a classic ripoff.

Stay clear, beware. This is 'agency' shady at best and completely illegal at worst. Law suits are being filed in the state of Utah.

Sabrine Apr 09, 2009

• Pi
    pissedoff May 06, 2009

I am three days into my battle trying to get any money I can back! Target was where I was suckered as well. Worst 10 minute spur of the moment decision I have ever made.

• Re
    realistinSD Jun 08, 2009

Your probably ugly and never got any call backs. Don't be so bitter. You scammed yourself by signing the contract. I know nothing about this company but they probably provide a service so that legally I am sure does not make it a scam. The only person you can truly blame is yourself. I am sure that many of their clients do get gigs and do make money.

TinaBishop Feb 10, 2010

You must not have applied your self 2 auditions or scheduals ! My 19 month old son just got a commertial after his fourth audition ! You know you gotta try & show up 4 all appointments . the photograghy was great 4 my son and I tell everyone 2 join Tru talent ! Tina Bishop

TinaBishop Feb 10, 2010

Tru talent is NOT a scam !!! My 19 month old boy just got a commertial & I expect more to come ! It is not Tru Talent who hires people 4 jobs ! It is talent scouts who need talent who do the hireing ! If your not picked its not personal cause the scouts have in mind what they are looking for, NO BIG DEAL ! just apply your self to all that Tru Talent offers and hope some one see's you as what they need ! I'm pleased with the opportunities Tru Talent has provided to us ! My son just started with them in December and has been 2 Four auditions ( 2 a month) we are happy for the work they provide !

TinaBishop Feb 10, 2010

Tru talent is NOT a scam ! my 19 month ols son just got a commercial and he has only been with them for 2 months now ! we are surprized at all the work Tru Talent has for my son 2 audition for ! Tru Talent does not hire people, they set up clients with talent scouts who need actors . Tru Talent is the best thing I ever did for my son I recomend every one 2 them whose serious about making a career in acting !

TruScam Jul 22, 2010

hey look at my profile i have some things need help finding a suit

TruScam Jul 22, 2010

the company is a scam a big scam. ive known people in the company who were successful and told me tru did nothing for them and to getting out of the company is harder than ever. People who have worked for the company quit because they wont to expose the lies the company puts out and they have plants who go on these websites like this and write my son got a job and famous cause of the company. its not true. Companies shouldnt make money unless they give you jobs or if they do something at all. The better business bureau gave the company a D and it got a d for a reason. Just saying be careful im in a big pickle because of this company. And I am beautiful and have modeled before I signed with the company

TruScam Jul 22, 2010

u work for tru talent tina! be honest the company has its issues look all over the internet

Jessica255 Nov 03, 2010

This people are fraud to the MAX!!! they would offer all this opportunities and photoshoots and modeling castings and commecials etc, after signing the contract they treat you bad and don't even want to pick up the calls, true talent is SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD SACAM FRAUD.

Jessica255 Nov 03, 2010

Tina really? yeah we dont believe that you WORK FOR TRUE TALENT and you know they are fraud they LIE CHEAT STEAT!!!

Jessica255 Nov 03, 2010

& at realistinSD thats ridiculous what you said about being ugly, you're so ignorant seriously there are people in commecials that are ugly, fat, skinny, tall, short, it does not matter at all a contract is a contract, lies are lies YOU'RE company lies and does fraud and steals!!!
    & ast Tina you're saying that because you work for that companny you're an employee there thats why you're tyring to protect them all the ''possitive'' things you see here are written by an employee I'VE SEEN!!!.
    PEOPLE DONT GET FOOLED BY THEM THEY ARE SCAM!!!

janedoes Nov 05, 2010

hey are a HUGE scam and i am doing everything i can !! to get out !! i just want nothing to do with them !! please help email me at [protected]@live.com and check out my blog http://helpjanedoe.blogspot.com/ and facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jane-Doe/155265977842635

janedoes Nov 05, 2010

• Ye
    yeahrightplz Dec 16, 2010

This company is a scam. I was approached by one of their so called "new face agents" at a mall here in Salt Lake City about my daughter...not to mention a month prior I was approached another agent from the same company in a Big Lots store for myself. That goes to show you BEWARE they are everywhere lurking for naive people. From beginning to end it was a disaster! First of all there isn't one ounce of integrity or professionalism about this company. Anyone on here talking about they got all this work from Tru Talent is a damn lie PERIOD, or you work for them not as a client but as a shark helping to rack in the money because there is a commission that awaits you by hooking people and having them sign on the dotted line.

It all of this started for me the week of Thanksgiving. We went in for an appointment on November 19th which was a Friday. By the next Tuesday November 23 they had pressured us into coming for my daughters photo shoot. How did they pressure me you might ask? Well once I was told what it would initially cost I was also told I need to pay 10% that day which came out to 150.00. So the agent takes my card charges it and returns with the contract he proceeds to explain all the sections of the contract verbally summarized by him as we go along and throws in the fact that my 150.00 dollars is nonrefundable no matter what. That was weird, so basically he disclosed that after swiping my card. Now I am a little invested at this point. So there is a section on the contract that explains. On the first line of this section it clearly states if you don’t show or cancel your photo shoot within 48 hours you will be charged 150.00 to reschedule. Then the next line says something about each photo print is 40.00 with a minimum of 2 for acting and 6 for modeling OUCH!!! Now at a glance you can clearly see the 150.00 bit, well as the agent tells me this he circles the amount and has me initial it first for 150…then on that second line that says 40.00 for prints he verbally tells me I will need to bring in 40.00 on the day of the photo shoot and he circle the 40.00 amount and has me initial. In case you didn’t follow what I am explaining is he lied to me about what the 40.00 was stating on the contract and had me initial it.
    The day if the photo shoot we get there and it is freezing because Utah was suppose to have a really bad storm that day, in which I called Tru Talent to make sure prior to the appointment was still it on since half of her pictures were going to be taken outside despite the freezing temperatures. I was completely floored when I arrive and the hair /makeup person was also the photographer. Actually I felt sick because I knew I had the wool pulled over on my. To make a long storey short I confronted the agent about what he told me and what is actually expected out of me per the contract. He looks me in the eye and says no I told you it was 40.00 per print with a minimum blah blah blah. I asked to speak with their manager, but I all I got was a sorry and offered a “look book” to carry all those damn pictures around in. I was told they were too busy with other clients to come talk to me. That is when I started looking up information and stumbled upon this site.
    I decided to contact the Division of Utah Consumer Protection to file a complaint. I am happy to say THEY LET ME OUT OF MY CONTRACT as of December 13th! On the grounds that after careful consideration they will let me out of this contract based on my complained regarding the 40.00 copyright fee complaint! My complaint wasn’t really totally about that fee. However I did point out there is nowhere on that contracted that states I needed to pay 40.00 for copyright…yet they charged me for it.

What really happened is they realized they weren’t playing with a fool after all. They also know how consumer protection could ruin their business, so it was much easier to let me go than to be fined and posted on a state agency website section called “buyer beware”. The only thing not fixed is I didn’t get my 150.00 back or my 40.00 copyright fee. I do find it very odd that they would cancel my contract on the grounds of the copyright fee loop hole…and not at least give me my 40.00 back for that. They basically said I was right it isn’t stated on the contracted so they have no real reason why they charged me for copyrights at that time. I hadn’t even picked out the pictures I might have purchased. Well at the end of the day it saved my credit and that’s all I was really worried about.
    I have nothing to hide and anyone that thinks I made this up I am happy to send you an electronic copy of the complaint I made to the agency, my contract and the letter coming from Tru Talent to the investigator releasing me from my contract. You do have rights just need to go through the proper channels. BTW I didn’t need to file a report with BBB to get it done.

• Ub
    Uberello Aug 07, 2017

BEFORE THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER PROTECTIONOF THE DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCEOF THE STATE OF UTAHIN THE MATTER OF:TRU TALENT MANAGEMENT SLC, INC. andBRANDIE LEE FROMMELTDCP Case #74016RespondentsAMENDED ADMINISTRATIVE CITATION(Amended as to date only page 6) ^PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORITY granted by Utah CODE ANNOTATED §13-2-6(3), asamended, which empowers the Division of Consumer Protection to issue a citation upon anyperson reasonably believed to be engaged in the violation of any statute listed in UTAH CodeAnnotated §13-2-1, as amended, it appears, upon information and belief, that you are inviolation of the Consumer Sales Practices Act, Utah Code ANNOTATED §13-11-4 er seq. Inparticular, the Division of Consumer Protection alleges:
    1. Since at least 2007, and continuing thereafter, Respondents Tru Talent Management SLC, Inc. (TTM) and Brandie Lee Frommelt have engaged in. or caused others to engage in, avariety of deceptive acts or practices to induce consumers into purchasing acting and/ormodeling classes and other related services such as headshots and fashion photography.Respondents have marketed a scheme that will purportedly help consumers make theirdream of becoming an actor or fashion model a reality. Respondent’s talent scouts useuntrue statements to solicit names and phone numbers from potential consumers.Respondent’s telemarketers call scouted consumers and use untrue statements to enticethem to come in for an audition. At Respondent’s place of business, consumers meetwith sales agents, a/k/a new face agents, who use untrue statements to get consumers tosign contracts for modeling and/or acting classes and photography. Respondent’scontract requires consumers to purchase a minimum of six (6) photographs at $40.00 perphotograph. Respondent’s use untrue statements to up-sell photographs to each client. Inaddition, Respondent’s website misrepresents that TTM has been in business for “over 12years”, when in fact TTM has only been in business since 2005.

2. From October 2010 until this date I received consumer complaints from the followingconsumers. Trisha Allen-Gibby, Shannon McQueen, Vanessa Grancagnolo, AmberBowden, Monica Medina, and Karen Montreal. The allegations from these six (6)consumers are consistent with the information contained in this citation.

3. From October 2010 until this date I met with and interviewed six (6) previous employeesof Respondents. The employees are listed, along with their past jobs positions, asfollows. Gabriela Perez (Booking Agent), James McGuire (Scout, Telemarketer, SalesAgent), Robb Johnson (Sales Agent, Manager), Mario Garcia (Sales Agent, Manager), Carrie Thayn (Chief Financial Officer), and Rafael Lima (Collector). Through myinterviews with the above previous employees the following scheme was uncovered.

4. Respondent’s talent scouts solicit consumers in malls, restaurants, stores, public eventsand other public places that have a large population of people. Respondent’s talent scoutstarget parents with babies and children, teens, adults, senior citizens, and handicappedpersons. Talent scouts use untrue statements with potential consumers to get them toprovide the talent scout with the consumers name and phone number. Some types ofuntrue statements made by talent scouts are consumers could be an actor or model formagazines, television commercials and even movies that TTM is involved with. Talentscouts tell consumers that TTM has upcoming auditions for companies such as Toys RUs, Pediped shoes, Baby Gap, Ikea, Pottery Barn, Shopko. In addition, talent scouts tellconsumers that TTM has auditions for movies such as Hunger Games and Disney moviessuch as Ant Farm and High School Musical 4. These statements are untrue because TTMdoes not have the authority to do auditions for those companies and movies. Talentscouts are told to say it’s a “free audition”, when in fact the scheme is to sign consumersup for paid acting and/or modeling classes and photography.

5. Respondent’s telemarketers call scouted consumers and use untrue statements to enticeconsumers into coming in for an audition. Telemarketers use statements such as “Myassistant thought you were really good looking”, “You might be perfect for some parts”, ”We have an audition coming up that I thought you might be perfect for”, or “We workwith Disney”. Telemarketers are taught to say anything to get consumers to come in for asales appointment. Telemarketers are required to schedule a minimum number of leadsper day or they have to stay after hours until the schedule is full. If new leads are notenough to ill the schedule, telemarketers are told to go through old leads and try toschedule them.

6. Respondent’s sales agents then meet with consumers at TTM. The sales agent’s job is touse whatever means necessary to sell the scouted consumers “the dream” and convincethem they have talent. Sales agents are taught to make sure consumers don’t do well their “auditions” so a sale can be made for classes. Sales agents have consumers read apart, or demonstrate modeling skills, however, no matter how well the consumer does, theconsumer is told they need to take classes. The sales agents tells the consumer that withthe right training and photos they will have a better chance of geting booked for a movie, modeling job or both. To make Respondents and commissioned sales agents’ money, sales agents have to sign consumers up for acting and/or modeling classes andphotographs. Any consumer who can pay is signed up regardless of their talents orabilities. Consumers are required to sign a contract and nearly all consumers sign afinance contract through Respondents in-house financing at 18% per annum. After thescouted individual has signed the contract, the sales agent automatically schedules themfor a photo shoot and acting and/or modeling classes so TTM can say that services wererendered, which will make it harder for the talent to back out of their contract.

7. Respondent’s photographer is a make-up artist, not a professional photographer.Photographs are an important part of the scheme because they yield high profits forRespondents. Consumers come in and the make-up artist gets them ready forphotographs and then takes the photographs. Several shots are taken and consumers aretold they have to buy a minimum of six (6) photographs at $40.00 each. Consumers arealways told they should buy 12 photographs at $40.00 each, which is unnecessary butincreases Respondents profits. The photos are sent to two graphic atists to be edited, which are Ms. Frommelt’s mother and aunt.

8. Respondents only employ one booking agent. The booking agent has about 4000consumers in their data base and the majority is babies and children. The number ofactual bookings, compared to the number of paid consumers on ile, is few and farbetween. The booking agent sends out emails and notices of fake auditions and photoshoot submissions to consumers to perpetuate the scheme. Many times Respondentsaccept photo submissions from consumers and the photos are not mailed out by thebooking agent. Since 2007, only ive (5) or six (6) TTM consumers have made enoughmoney to pay off their contracts and photographs. Since 2007, no TTM consumers havemade as much as $30, 000.00 per year as an actor and/or model.

9. Respondents run credit reports on consumers who sign inance contracts. Thoseconsumers who sign inance contracts, with a credit score of 690 or higher, have theirfinance contracts sold to another company which Ms. Frommelt’s father, Walt Frommeltowns. The name of this company is RMF Rocky Mountain Financial (RMF). RMF paysRespondents 87% of the inance contracts value. The collections on the RMF contractsare still made in-house by Respondent’s collection employee. Once a month Respondentsprint out a spread sheet of accounts for Mr. Frommelt and then Mr. Frommelt writes aRMF check to Respondents. Respondents then collect on the finance contracts anddeposit the money into the RMF bank account. Those consumers that stop paying aresubjected to aggressive collection techniques by Respondents. Some accounts are sent tocollections through a third party collection agency. Accounts that are sent to collectionsfrom RMF are repurchased by Respondents.

10. On December 10, 2010, Respondents were mailed a “Cease and Desist” letter rom LionsGate Entertainment Inc. (LGE) regarding Respondents falsely advertising auditions andcasting calls for the movie “Plunger Games”. A copy of the leter from LGE was mailedto the Utah Atorney General’s Office and then forwarded to Utah Consumer Protection.

11. On January 6, 2011, Investigator Glen Minson and Investigator Spencer Heward wereapproached by a TTM scout while eating at a restaurant. Investigator Minson was told hecould be a model for a magazine like “Vogue” or a model for television commercials andeven movies. Investigator Minson was told he would get a minimum of two modelingopportunities per month and there was no upfront payment. Investigator Minson was toldthat TTM makes money rom a percentage of the work they ind for their models.Investigator Minson asked if he had to have TTM do the photo shoot and InvestigatorMinson was told he didn’t need to.

12. On January 13, 2011, Investigators Minson and Heward went to TTM in an undercoverrole to determine what misrepresentations were being made by TTM during the recruitingprocess. Investigators met with sales agent Fernanda “Nanda” Galhardo and thefollowing untrue statements were told to investigators. Ms. Galhardo stated TTM is thenumber one booking agency and modeling agency in Utah. Ms. Galhardo stated castingdirectors are currently looking for tall guys, which is why Investigator Minson wasrecruited. Ms. Galhardo indicated TTM is the only talent agency in the valley that offerslifetime photography and that he’d never have to pay for photography again. Ms.Galhardo advised Investigator Minson he should take both modeling and acting classes.Ms. Galhardo stated “if you’re not working, I don’t get paid.” Ms. Galhardo indicatedshe gets 20% of the fee when she books a talent. Ms. Galhardo claimed she doesn’t workwith just anyone and actually works with very few people because she only wants to workwith people that will make her money. Ms. Galhardo states she guarantees there will bean audition available every two weeks. Ms. Galhardo stated TTM has a “huge” contractwith Disney.

13. On February 1, 2011, Investigator Glen Minson spoke with attorney Stuart Kxicin romDisney legal department. Mr. Kricin stated he spoke with the production ofice of SaltyPictures (SP), which is a production entity that has produced a lot of Disney Channelmotion pictures in Utah. Mr. Kricin also spoke with Jeff Johnson, an independent castingdirector that works in Utah and has done casting for SP. Mr. Kricin advised that TTM’srepresentation of having a “huge contract” with Disney is false. Mr. Kricin advised hehas been unable to ind that TTM has any contracts with Disney. Mr. Kricin stated it wasmisleading for TTM to advertise auditions for “Ant Farm” because Disney would nothave been doing auditions like the flyer represents. Mr. Kricin stated “Ant Farm” is apilot that is in production for Disney Channel. Mr. Kricin stated an audition forsomething like “Ant Farm” would involve the talent going in front of a casting directorand not something where they would be submitting a picture for an “audition.”

14. That on February 23. 2011, Investigator Minson and myself interviewed Jeff Johnson, anindependent casting director in Utah. Mr. Johnson does a large percentage, if not themajority, of the casting for Disney in Utah. During this interview Mr. Johnson indicatedTTM would not have a contract with Disney. Mr. Johnson advised TTM ranks at thebotom of his list as far as his approval of the business practices of the talent agencies heworks with. Mr. Johnson advised he has spoken with Ms. Frommelt on numerousoccasions over the last several years and repeatedly warned her about not using Disney’sname or his name inappropriately to recruit talent. Mr. Johnson claims that every time hehears something regarding TTM inappropriately representing an afiliation they don’thave, he mentions it to Ms. Frommelt but she blames the scouts or sales agents.

15. During this interview Mr. Johnson was shown a printout of TTM’s website whichshowed TTM using a picture advertisement for High School Musical 3, which leaves animpression TTM was or is affiliated directly with that movie. Mr. Johnson states this isnot the case and TTM should not be using images or representations like that. Mr.Johnson advised that he has heard that people at TTM have told some consumers theywere guaranteed a role in High School Musical 4. Mr. Johnson believes it is deceptive tomake representations like that to consumers because TTM has no control over who isgoing to get any part in a film.

16. During this interview Mr. Johnson was presented with an audition flyer sent outpreviously to TTM consumers about a Disney Channel audition called “Ant Farm.” Thedescription on the flyer stated TTM consumers could go to TTM’s location and haveheadshots taken and they would be submited to Disney. Mr. Johnson indicated that isnot an audition. An audition would be in front of a casting director where you are beingconsidered for a specific part for a speciic project. Mr. Johnson pointed out that the “AntFarm” flyer sent to TTM consumers was misleading because it stated Disney was castingfor “extras and featured roles.” Mr. Johnson indicated “Ant Farm” was not being ilmedin Utah and the industry doesn’t typically hire extras from outside the state where the ilmis being shot due expense, time, and availability issues in doing so.

17. During this interview Mr. Johnson stated he is aware of many of the allegations andalleged deceptive practices TTM is utilizing based on what he hears in the industry andfrom consumers. Mr. Johnson believes it is unethical to charge as much as TTM does forthe modeling and acting classes. Mr. Johnson indicated the photography quality romTTM is substandard based on what he gets from other photographers that shoot consumerheadshots and photographs. Mr. Johnson believes TTM is only interested in signingtalent and collecting money, not finding talent work. Mr. Johnson stated, “They don’tcare if they get a booking or not.”

18. During this interview Mr. Johnson stated he believes some people might need acting andmodeling classes, but he doesn’t think TTM does a very good job of doing them. Weasked Mr. Johnson if it was true that 30% of all movies are made in Utah, which is arepresentation being made by certain TTM employees. Mr. Johnson said Utah is not evenin the top three states for ilm production. Mr. Johnson guessed that maybe 1 % of allmovies are made in Utah. Johnson stated Utah is a very small movie market. Mr.Johnson stated he might see 700 to 1000 people for a ilm he is casting and only hire 15.

19. During this interview we asked Mr. Johnson if he thought having approximately 4000consumers on ile with one booking agent was reasonable based on industry standards.Mr. Johnson believed having that many consumers, with such a limited number of jobs inUtah, would prevent any agency rom being able to make claims about their ability toactually place consumers with regular frequency. Mr. Johnson stated this industry istough and most people make very litle, if any, money as a model or actor in Utah. Mr.Johnson stated people will work in the industry for decades and still be struggling to indwork or make any money. Mr. Johnson advised he does not believe TTM’s businessmodel was sustainable if TTM were to conduct their business like other talent agenciesand primarily seek compensation from booking clients. Mr. Johnson does not believeMs. Frommelt is oblivious to the potentially deceptive practices he hears about in hisexperience. Mr. Johnson indicated jobs for babies and children are much rarer than jobsfor teens and adults. Because of the labor restrictions, babies and children are not idealfor casting in anything. In fact, Mr. Johnson stated they will often cast people over theage of 18 that look younger so they don’t run afoul of labor laws.

The above actions are in violation of one or more of the following subsections of the ConsumerSales Practices Act, Utah Code Annotated §13-11-4, Deceptive act or practice by supplier.

(1) A deceptive act or practice by a supplier in connection with a consumer transactionviolates this chapter whether it occurs before, during, or after the transaction.(2) Without limiting the scope of Subsection (1), a supplier commits a deceptive act orpractice if the supplier knowingly or intentionally:

(a) indicates that the subject of a consumer transaction has sponsorship, approval, performance characteristics, accessories, uses, or benefits, if it has not.(b) indicates that the subject of a consumer transaction is of a particular standard, quality, grade, style, or model, if it is not;(d) indicates that the subject of a consumer transaction is available to the consumer for areason that does not exist;(e) indicates that the subject of a consumer transaction has been supplied in accordancewith a previous representation, if it has not;(h) indicates that a specific price advantage exists, if it does not;(i) indicates that the supplier has a sponsorship, approval, or afiliation the supplier doesnot have.

(70 Counts-Potential Fine $175, 000)(This citation may be amended or supplemented based on an ongoing investigation)THIS CITATION ISSUED this the 14th day of March 20David P. Furlong, InvestigatorUtah Division of Consumer Protection

CERTIFICATE OF SERVICETHIS IS TO CERTIFY that the undersigned duly mailed by regular mail and certified mail a trueand exact copy of the above and foregoing Administrative Citation to the following:BRENNAN H MOSSPIA ANDERSON DORTUS REYNARD & MOSS222 S MAIN ST, STE 1800SALT LAKE CITY UT 84101-2194SP/?David P. Furlong, InvestigatorUtah Division of Consumer Protection

IMPORTANT NOTICE – READ CAREFULLYThis citation may be contested by iling a request for a hearing, in writing, within ten (10) daysfrom receipt of this citation. Such hearing shall be conducted as an informal hearing under Title63, Chapter 46b, of the Administrative Procedures Act. A citation which is not so contestedbecomes the inal order of the Division and is not subject to further agency review. In addition toany ines which might be levied, a cease and desist order shall be entered against you. Anintentional violation of a inal cease and desist order is a third degree felony pursuant to UtahCode Annotated 13-2-6(2) as amended. If you desire a hearing on this citation you may mail yourrequest to:Thad Levar, Interim DirectorUtah Division of Consumer ProtectionPO Box 146704Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6704Please be advised that all inquiries, correspondence, or other contacts concerning this citation, with the exception of any written request for hearing as set out above, should be directed to thebelow named Division employee, designated by the Director of the Division of ConsumerProtection pursuant to Utah Code Annotated §13-2-6(3)(a)(iv) and §63-46b-3(2)(a)(i)(1953), as amended:David P. Furlong, InvestigatorUtah Division of Consumer Protection160 East 300 SouthPOBox 146704Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6704Telephone: [protected]

DIVISION of consumer protectionDEPARTMENT OF COMMERCESTATE OF UTAH160 EAST 300 SOUTHP.O. BOX 14 6704SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84114-6704INFORMAL HEARINGS BEFORE THEDIVISION OF CONSUMER PROTECTIONYou may request an informal hearing to contest an administrative citation issuedby the Division of Consumer Protection within ten (10) business days after thedate of the citation. Your request should be in writing, include the case numberfrom your citation, and be directed to the Director of the Utah Division ofConsumer Protection at the address listed above. As you prepare for yourhearing, please keep in mind all of the following:Notice: You will receive a Notice of Administrative Hearing with the time and date of the hearing. On the day ofthe hearing the Division receptionist, at the address listed above on the second floor, will give you the roomnumber for the hearing. The name of the presiding officer for the hearing is on that notice. Please address thepresiding officer by name (e.g. “Mr. Smith”).Open Heaing: The hearing is open to all paties, and is open to the public unless closed by the presiding officer.The Division will record the hearing.Access to Information: Discovery is prohibited, but parties may have access to all materials and information theDivision intends to present at the hearing. You may contact the investigator or licensor whose name appears onyour citation to request access to this information.Legal Representation: You may represent yourself or be represented by an atorney. Ordinarily the Division isnot represented by an attorney at hearings.Issues: The primary issues for the hearing are:Was there a factual and legal basis to issue the citation?If so, was it fair to issue the citation?If so, what is the appropriate penalty?Burden of Proof: If you are denying the offense, the Division is responsible to prove its case against you by apreponderance of the evidence. If you are admitting the offense, you are responsible to prove that the citationshould be dismissed or that the penalty should be reduced.Evidence: All paties may testify, present evidence, and comment on the issues. In presenting evidence, any patymay examine witnesses and submit exhibits. At the request of either party, or at his or her own initiative, thepresiding officer may examine a witness. Any party may ask to present a witness by telephone. The presidingoficer will exclude any evidence he or she deems irrelevant, repetitious, or improper.Final Order: Following the hearing, the presiding officer will take the mater under advisement and make arecommendation to the Division Director, who will issue a Final Order to uphold, dismiss, or modify the citation.The Final Order will include a notice of any right of administrative or judicial review.You should not rely on this letter alone for instructions regarding informalhearings. The hearing is governed by law (Utah Administrative Procedures Act:Utah Code Title 63G, Chapter 4; Division of Consumer Protection: Utah Code Title13, Chapter 2) and rule (Department of Commerce Administrative Procedures Act Rules: Utah Admin. Code R151-46b). You may access these laws and rules at your local library or at the following Internet site http://www.le.state, ut.us/~code/TITLE63G/63G04.htmhttp://www.le.state.ut.us/-code/TITLE13/13 02 .htm