Top Dog Bloodhoundscondition of dogs being sold

I didn't see all of the complaints about top dog bloodhounds until it was too late. I hope that anyone else wishing to buy a dog sees all of these posts and stays away from this breeder.

Here is my dealings with tammie christopher or what ever name she is using at this time from top dog bloodhounds.

On january 1, 2012, while still deployed to afghanistan I began my search for the bloodhound I had waited 5 years to purchase due to military deployments. I searched for bloodhound breeders online and found an ad for tammie’s ultimate brighton design a 4 year old well socialized, housebroke #. I contacted tammie via internet to inquire about her and was told she was available. I purchased her for $165 through paypal after tammie assured me that she would hold brighton design until my return to the united states in march 2012 and that she had held numerous dogs for soldiers until their return from overseas deployments. I was told that she would be spayed prior to my return so that I could pick her up as soon as I got back. She appeared to be a legitimate good breeder and I was happy to have finally found the dog I had waited to buy.

I contacted tammie on march 20th 2012 to arrange the pick up brighton design on april 6, 2012. I received an email confirmation that I could come and get her on that date. When I arrived at the address for top dog bloodhounds I was very upset by the conditions of the facility with the rows and rows of dogs in small cages, all barking so loud that I couldn't talk to tammie's husband without moving a long distance from the cages. Plus the smell of dog urine and feces was over powering. Had I known that I was walking into a disgusting puppy mill I would have never done business with her.

When I arrived at the kennel, tammie was not home due to a death in the family, but I was met by a man I assumed to be her husband and a young girl I believe to be her daughter who gave me brighton design’s papers. The young girl went into what I assume was the whelping house. I did not enter the whelping house, but when the girl was in there getting brighton design, I heard many puppy screams like they were being hit or stepped on. Then she literally drug a bloodhound out of the building with a horse lead rope. This dog was cowering, very nervous and had her tail tucked very tightly between her legs to my disbelief, it was brighton design the dog who was supposed to be well socialized and looked nothing like the photo that was posted on the website. I was told that she was still just groggy from the anesthetic. I asked “what anesthetic and was told “from her spay yesterday” I couldn’t believe that they waited until the day before I picked her up to have her spayed knowing that it was a very long ride back to michigan and having 4 months to have her spayed before I arrived to pick her up. I had asked numerous times if she had been spayed yet and was always told "no" for one reason or another. This "well socialized dog" was very nervous and still runs away from me a lot of the time. She cowers and puts her tail between her legs then runs into another room if you reach out to her to pet her. I can only imagine the life she must have had at that puppy mill.

When I got a good look at brighton design, I saw that her eyes were full of green puss. I asked the man/tammie’s husband about it and was told “it is a dust allergy” as I put her in the dog crate in the back of my truck I noticed a horrible odor coming from her which I assumed at the time was the stench from the kennel. It was so bad that she had to remain in the back of the truck the entire ride back to mi. When I arrived home I lifted her ears to see if she had an ear infection or ear mites. The first thing that hit me was the nauseating odor of infection and rotting flesh, then I saw a large growth in her ear.

When I returned to mi, I saw this email that tammie sent me this is a copy and paste of that email ("vet calls me today and says she has an ear infection so you will need to treat this next week. She has a growth in her ear as well. Her spay has went just fine this morning"). There is no way that she could have missed a growth the size and apperance of a morel mushroom inside her ear if she ever spent anytime at all with this dog. As far as "you will need to treat this next week" any reputable breeder would have taken care of these issues before selling the dog. She also had a skin condition that appeared to be ring worm on her side, (tests came back negative for ring worm) along with a staph infection on her chest and scabbed over dog bite mark on her head, which the man tried to convince me was just from her shedding.

I made an appointment with my vet for tuesday april 10th which was just the beginning of a very long and expensive process of getting her healthy again. I have spent $1, 581.21 on vet bills to date and still have a long way to go before she is a healthy dog. The growth in her ear which was surgically removed was caused by cronic, untreated, infections. I contacted tammie via email and told her about all of the vet expenses I had incurred and told her that I wanted her to refund the purchase price of the dog that she had medically neglected and failed to inform me of these conditions. It was no surprise that she has never contacted me in anyway regarding repayment of the cost of the dog.

After almost 2 months of socializing with me and my other dogs, she has finally started to come out of her shell and I am sure will be a very nice dog now that she is being provided with lots of human contact, encouragement, and health care.

At this time I am filing a formal complaint with the akc and will include numerous pictures showing the condition of the dog when I brought her home.

Top dog bloodhounds & tammie christopher need to be shut down immediatly & she needs to be brought up on charges for animal neglect & fraud.

• As
    Ashley Muff Feb 13, 2016

I bought a black and tan puppy from Winkleys in May 2012. She showed signs of hip dysplasia before she turned one and x-rays confirmed sever bilateral hip dysplasia. After contacting Tammi to tell her of her diagnosis, she still said she was going to continue to breed the mother and father of our pup in the future stating that "none of her dogs have hip dysplasia, " over and over again. It's infuriating that she continues to breed these dogs after a known history without having them fully checked over and x-rayed...buyer beware. I am aware that hip dysplasia may be spontaneous, but it is no excuse for the breeder to not take future precautions.

• Do
    Dog Doc Mar 12, 2015

I thought I did my homework, I'm a veterinarian, but when my Bloodhound pup arrived from Top Dog Tammy, she came off the plane with pneumonia. 2 1/2 years later she is a picture perfect looking Bloodhound who is terrified of any new person or situation. Only hours of behavior modification has gained her trust. This complaint board has explained so much of her fear. I wish I had this information earlier, but I can't now imagine life without her so at least I can say I rescued her from that awful place even if it did cost me $900.

vannerlady Mar 05, 2013

Hi Joe and all others who have posted here since my original post last year. I did file a complaint with the AKC and was told that the only thing I could do was file a claim in small claims court to get my money back for the dog, but they would not stop trash like her from breeding dogs and taking advantage of people who are spending their hard earned money on a puppy/dog that they expect to be in good health and not born in deplorable conditions.

I just tried to find the email Tammie Christopher, Winkley, or what ever her name is now sent me after she read this post. She was very nasty and said that everything I had written was a lie even though I had all of the vet bills and photos to prove everything I said was the truth. The only true thing she said was that the AKC would not do anything to her.

Joe, I am sorry that you lost $300, you may be able to take her to court, but it would probably cost you more in court fees than you would get back from her. I am glad however that my posting stopped you from buying a puppy from her. The only reason I took Belle home was that I had driven all the way from Michigan to pick her up and she was in such terrible condition that my heart ached for her so I took her home. It has been almost a year now and she is doing pretty good, but is still plagued with ear infections and I have to put drops in her eyes everyday. She may need surgery to correct her eye problems, but for now the drops are working. I am so happy that you were able to find a good healthy puppy and will not have to spend LOTS of money in vet bills to take care of a sick puppy.

C Dorr, I am so sorry about your puppy was the vet able to save her? I know it is terribly expensive to treat for parvo. If you ever did hear anything back from this woman, it would be nasty. A reputable breeder would have immediately refunded your money or offered you a healthy puppy in exchange for the one that had parvo.

We must work together to get her shut down complain to the AKC as I did. One complaint might not get much attention, but if many complain maybe they will do something. Clark County Sheriff may also be able to shut her down.

Joe runs Feb 14, 2013

After reading all this stuff on here I did back out of my verbile contract with top dog the next day I told her it was because of a financial situation that came up she will not refund my 300 even thow I did not sighn any contract. She told me I could file a complant with PayPal but I would not win the case . She seems to be right so far i guess she is a pro at being a ### type person . But that's ok I am a firm believer that she will get what she deserves in due time. I do want to thank every one for posting I fell so bad for the puppy I picked out but did not want to chance getting a sick pup or give her any more money. It's to bad she is this type of person . I did find a new pup and he comes in march I can't wait so Tammy I hope and pray you change your ways.

• Un
    Unknown 12 Jan 24, 2013

Tammie Winkley also has different names that she does business under. There is of course Top Dog Bloodhounds, Besingi's, Winkley's Black and Tans and Redfern Red Hounds.

• Un
    Unknown 12 Jan 24, 2013

I know for a fact that Tammie (Winkley, Seahorn, Fryman, Wade) Christopher has been charged with endangerment of her Twins and was slapped on the hand. She will continue to lie and cheat her way out of any situation she encounters. It is a shame that her children and dogs have to continue to be treated this way. The only way to stop her is to take a class action law suit against her, with the expectation that she is shut down and no monetary gain is forthcoming. I was thankfully warned about this person before it was too late. Hopefully her roll as a breeder will end before any more dogs have to suffer.

• Cd
    c dorr Dec 21, 2012

I did not see the reviews until to late.
    My redbone coonhound arrived with parvo. I contacted Tammie and she told me that the vaccine would show a false positive. I got her to the emergency vet at the first sign of vomiting and shaking, hours after my vet saw her and stated she was lethargic and had a distended abdomen. She did test negative for worms. Once I told her that my puppy did have parvo i have heard nothing more from her

• Jc
    J_Christensen Aug 27, 2012

Kerry I she sold you the pup with AKC papers, make sure you report her to AKC, be course she was suspended when she sold you the pup.

vannerlady Jun 08, 2012

J_Christensen,
    Thank you for that information about the AKC suspending her for 6 months. I have filed my complaint along with copies of all the medical bills I have paid to take care of "Belle" I am hoping that my complaint will be the nail in the coffin that has her permenatly suspended from the AKC. She can't make lots of money on dogs that she can't register.

• Jc
    J_Christensen Jun 08, 2012

Tammie was suspended by AKC on [protected] for 6 month.

vannerlady Jun 07, 2012

Jon, I have filed a complaint with the AKC as well on this breeder to try and get her shut down. I am not just griping on line to hear myself. The dog I bought from her is a 5 year old not a puppy, I did not want a puppy and according to her website she was a Reputable breeder. I am not the bad person here for looking for a breeder of quality dogs and ending up with her and I am sure that even in the "clubs" there are bad breeders. I was hoping that the complaint I filed here would save someone else from dealing with her. If I made even one person change their mind then it was effective. By the way, Belle has become a very nice dog under MY good care and medical treatment.

Comment Guidelines