Super 8 Hoteldeposit scam

L Jun 04, 2019

On May 16th, 2019 I took a lady that works for us to the Super 8 hotel in Metropolis, Illinois. She was a victim of domestic violence in her home, and I got her 3 night to stay. When checking in the clerk at the desk told me if I go through Expedia I could get the room cheaper. So I did. I was also told since the guest was a resident of Metropolis, that I would have to put down a $100 cash only deposit. It would be returned after check out. I agreed. After two weeks I went back to the Super 8 to inquire about my deposit. I assumed it would be put on my credit card that I used to pay for the room. After talking with the clerk, I was told that the deposit was returned to the guest. He stated that they are not allowed to keep the cash at the hotel or they would be fired. I called the lady I put up and she stated she did not know anything about the deposit, which I did not tell her, and that she checked out leaving her keys in the room with housekeeping. She did not go to the front desk and just left. After telling the clerk she would not lie about getting the deposit he said he would talk to the manager. I waited on the manager to return. The "owner" returned and I told him the story and that I assumed it would be returned to my card. He stated that deposit is held for 24 hours after check out and it not picked up it is forfeited to the hotel. I told him that was not a way to do business with other business owners of the community. I also told him that he had a copy of my drivers license, by credit card, and knew the business I own and could of called, mailed or reached out in any other way regarding my deposit. He refused to return it and said very rudely that is the rules. I was not informed at check in that I had 24 hours to retrieve my deposit or that it would not be put on my card. In a small community it is very wrong to do business this way but a great way for him to pocket money that I know did not go towards the hotel. As a small community I will let EVERYONE know how business is handled there and will NOT recommend the Super 8 to anyone who visits our town. As a member of the Chamber of Commerce I WILL make sure all Chamber Members are aware of this and will do my best to have them removed from any business pages in our town. Below I am attaching a picture of the clerk that was adamant that the deposit was picked up by the guest I put up.

deposit scam