Strathmore Who's WhoScam

G

The other day I got a letter in the mail from Strathmore's Who's Who, which I'd never really heard of except the "Who's Who" part of the title. I thought, what the heck, my name for free in a book, why not? Even if it's not that big of deal, meaning no one really looks at it, it can't really hurt. I googled it quickly, read about 2 seconds of stuff on their website, then filled out the card and sent it in forgetting quickly.

Today I got a call from a representative there, Deb. She (I think) said that they got my "application" and they need to do an interview to see if I'm eligible, but from what they saw on the "application", she was pretty sure I'd be accepted. Huh, on that single piece of paper all I put was what I did, software engineer, and where I worked, Mentor Graphics... That makes me almost eligible? Anyway, she said it would take about 7 or 8 minutes, fastest interview ever. She basically asked what I did everyday and what my achievements were, then repeated different things I said with an "I understand" afterwards. It was pretty funny honestly, she really sounded interested and impressed with my normal job, which made me feel great, but curious as to why I'd be included in such a "prestigious" book.

After about 5 minutes of talking, she said that I'm in! WhooHoo! Then said I had the choice between a lifetime or 5 year membership, which cost $600 and $300 respectively... Whoa. There was no mention in the letter of a fee or anything, and I'm not about to shell out $600 for my name in a book I've never heard of. So, I asked if I had time to think about it, meaning I want to get out of this politely and easily, and she said, no, there are too many applications, you need to decide now. That made me laugh, oh, it's really a scam, OK, all fears confirmed. I then asked again, "Are you serious, I have to choose now and if I don't I'm out?" She then said something else about how it's not impossible, but that it's better if I figure it out now. She gave me more options, a 2 year membership for $200 with no book sent to me, but I still get the plaque, and a 1 year membership with no book or plaque for $100... I said I'll need to discuss this with my wife, it's a purchase over $50, which was a great excuse for me to really google about this place. She said fine, she'll call back tomorrow (very disappointed) and we'll go over it again and gave me her phone number then hung up.

More Strathmore Who's Who Complaints & Reviews

• Ke
    Ken Denney May 12, 2015

I got the same email and subsequent phone call. It was all very interesting until the woman started listing the outrageous prices. $899 for lifetime membership and $499 for a five year. That is when I very politely told her that there was no way I would pay such a price for inclusion in a book that I have not found necessary in my 40 years of experience. The woman was very realistic in her seeming interest in my career and future plans. Anyone that is contacted needs to delete the emails and not accept the calls.

• Ri
    Richy Vilari Oct 29, 2014

Yeah I saw the same thing. Who the hell does she think she is by not giving this business man his money back???? Not only did she destroy future business from anyone with half a brain she's also ruined her company by getting negative national exposure to what a fake and fraud her and her company actually are. WAKE UP WHO'S WHO IS A SCAM AND RIP OFF. Just read all the negative info on them and stop accepting their Spam mail invites and their high pressure phone calls.

Comments

• Ri
    Richy Vilari Oct 29, 2014

I cannot believe what I just saw on The People's Court... The Owner... The President of a Who's Who who was what I consider a self righteous over anxious under medicated nasty women that refused to just give back the money to a member who was in total disbelief of what he was originally promised for the $800 that he was pressured into spending (under her obvious extreme training practices) in comparison to what he actually received... a $12 wall plaque that fell apart like a cheap puzzle when he tried to take it out of the package! What a joke. And all she could do was say "He called me an idiot"... she should consider herself lucky that's he called her. Who's Who is a rip of scam and if you didn't believe it before believe it now. What a joke, she even tried playing the gender card by crying to the judge like the rat faced weasel by saying "He was calling me names... To bad lady you are!!! And you & you along with your company are a joke as seen on national TV. And although I feel sorry for the poor guy you ripped off, I can only imagine how bad you rip your employees off. You Are Pathetic