Shaun HampBeware

J

Hired Shaun Hamp (Oak Hill, VA) to do a deck and a fence for my home. He did the demolition on 6/23, and we got approval from the HOA on 7/15. Since then, he has not showed up 5 times when he specifically said he was going to. One of his men started digging the footers, but he never pulled the permits, and he left the footers incomplete, leaving dirt piled up on my lawn. He left it this way for three weeks and never came back. He then said he'd give me my deposit back (which he had since end of May, to order the materials which never came) and he would come by on Saturday 8/30 with a check. He never showed. Emails and phone calls later - no response.

Talked to him on the phone (finally) the Thursday after, he said he'd come for sure on Friday. Didn't show up on Friday, said he'd be there on Saturday. Didn't show up on Saturday at all, although he did come by on Sunday (finally!) and took away some of the wood debris after being there for 3 months.

However, he didn't have my money, and said he'd call the next day. He did call the next day, and said he'd have the money to me by Wednesday, latest by Friday. No call Wednesday. Emailed Friday, no response until Sunday where he said he's going to mail me a partial payment by registered mail, and would have the entire money to me by Friday.

• Valerie Sep 11, 2008

BEWARE Of this guy! He's a scammer. He advertises on craiglist daily. His listed phone number on his advertisements is [protected], in case he doesn't post his name.

• Mw
    MW Sep 15, 2008

New Phone number: [protected]

doctorwho2 Dec 08, 2008

From original poster:

It's now December, and he still hasn't paid me money. He gave me a partial payment in cash, but he still owes me $2500.00 which he hasn't paid. He wrote me post-dated checks and it turns out that he didn't even have a dollar in those checking accounts. We were supposed to meet several times, he even had me waiting by the cell phone one afternoon so he could tell me where to go, but he never called.

He's shrewd, since he sent me post dated checks, which means he can't be charged criminally for check fraud. He has several cases against him in Fairfax County civil court (and some criminal). Do your homework before hiring anyone, and stay away from him.

doctorwho2 May 12, 2010

From original poster: Shaun made good with the refund. Repeatedly asked to have original complaint deleted, no response from this site.

doctorwho2 May 12, 2010

Shaun made good on the refund, asked to have complaint removed repeatedly, no response from this site.