White Oak Press Complaints & Reviews

White Oak PressExpressions Book paid for never recieved

I had purchased in the past poetry books through another complany, which lead me to believe that White Oak Press was ligitimate. Since May 2008, I had paid for the book "Expressions", and still haven't recieved it. The bank check was cashed June 2008. I tried calling the contact given name Sheryl Howell, Senior Editor numerous times & no one answered during business hours. Twice I got to leave a voice message, but never did I get a return call. Today 1/21/09 I tried calling again only to find the phone number has been disconnected. I also, sent letters & will send another one today. I need to know if this address still exists as well.
This book was purchased with my niece's peom which I had planned to surprise her with as a gift. Being she lives on a very remote island & has scholard herself into a good college. This was so very disappointing.
I would like a reimbursement, so I can purchase it through the previous publisher I had used. Times are very hard & taking people's trust for granted just doesn't sit right with me. If anyone hears of what else can be done, please let me know. Thank you.

• Gl
    gloria Feb 28, 2009

My son gave me his poem, sent it in with check, back in January 08 never received book. These people need to be stopped!!

White Oak Presspoetry

Fool me once-shame on you-fool me twice-shame on me. This company has lied lied lied from the beginning of our transaction. They are nothing but low lifes who take advantage of poor souls who want to see their work in print. In July I wrote a poem entitled "Joel". In August I got an e-mail from then saying they wanted to print it and offered to sell me a book at a price and extra books for less. Since the poem was for my pastor and wife...I thought it would be nice to give them a book with the poem in it. In September I moved from AR (where I was when tranasaction took place) to FL. In October I still hadn't received my books and couldn't find a link to them on web. I immediately thought they were a fraudulent company. However, my son found a link with the phone number, so I called them. The claimed they had mailed the books but had sent them to a wrong zip code(first lie), but they would get them too me right away. In the October I also wrote another poem entitled "Afterlife". I received another e mail from same company telling me the same old stuff. I copied that email, but never contacted them about it. I did not get the books they promised and so I called them again Nov 11. They told me they were on the truck to go out, but would not go out till the next day as P.O. was closed for holiday. At the end of that week, I got 6 books, but when I opened them the poem "Afterlife" was printed in it, NOT the poem "Joel" which I had originally purchased. I had put a complaint on line earlier when I was sure they were a fraudulent company. When I called them about the poem they told me they had lost it, but promised to refund my money if I took my complaint off line, as they were losing a lot of business. I told them I would do that( and I did it that afternoon. That was on the 17th of Nov. and THEY DID NOT SEND MY MONEY BACK, They did send me two more books with the poem "Afterlife" printed, which they did not have permission to print. I took off my original complaint, but they did not send money back and when I tried to call I just got an answer machine.
PLEASE DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE NOT HONEST OR PROFESSIONAL.

White Oak PressFraud and cheating

I was taking an english class in school and one of the assignments was to write a poem. I did and read it to the class. the teacher and students were stunned. I was surprised. I figured, hey, if they liked it wouldn't someone else? I submitted it to white oak press, poetry.com, and famous poets. I got a letter from white oak press that said my poem was so great and blah blah blah. It said i would be published in an anthology so i was pretty excited. I was on the internet today and saw them in a list of poetry scams and i deflated like a balloon. All i can say is not to be sucked in. I had enough time to get the payment stopped on the credit card but i was lucky. Don't let these ### ruin your dreams. research before you submit.

White Oak PressComplete Fruad

I almost sent them the money too because i was so happy to find out that i was heard and that my poem was going to be published which I want to do. But them iI came across this site with loads of complaints about this company and then i do a little research and i found out that the company White Oak Press is actually a printing service and not a publishing company. So the people who are using the name White oak press under poetry of america is a fraud...If you need proff then go to their site site whiteoakpress.com and see that in bold red lettering that it says that they are not a publishing service but a printing service. These people need to be stopped because they are using an actual company name and they are tricking people out of their money!

White Oak Pressmy poem submitted

My poem "My Heart" was supposed to be featured, in a book titled something other "Expressions" which was the title of book sent to me, it created erroneous information on my webpage which, gives a bio and other special info about my accomplishments. To help further my soon to be released book in Nov. 2008. My poem was butchered with typo's. Unable to get anyone to answer phone at any given time, to voice my complaint. Can not get thru via (411) as well.

• Su
    Susie Perales Apr 09, 2016

I got the same email. I've been through this type of thing before. Most of these places that ask for your money are frauds. There was a special on 20/20 I believe, exposing these crooks. If they ask for your money, run!

White Oak PressNever received book

My daughter wrote a poem and submitted it. We didn't hear anything for a long while, than she received an e-mail stating that her's was picked to be published into a book. We printed off the form they sent us and mailed in a check, for the required 24.95 way back in January. Never heard a thing from them since the check was cashed. No book no nothing. I also did the phone call before I sent them the check and I was so assured all was on the up and up. I feel like a fool. Now all I get is the run around or no answer when I try and phone them. Why can't anyone do anything to stop them??? I still see there site up and my daughter got yet another e-mail last week, asking her to submit another poem for review. I'm like you have to be kidding? I can't imagine the amount of dollars this company has gotten from parents, excited to have something their child wrote be published in a book. I'm truly wondering, why if this has been going on years and years, that Consumer Fraud, isn't shutting them down.

• De
    Devangi Sep 14, 2009

Its the same thing here. I received an email from White Oak Press on 15 May 2008 saying that my poem was selected to be published in an anthology. I immediately placed an order for 1 book. However, it has been more than an year and I haven't received any information nor any book. I've emailed them twice asking more information about this, but I've received no reply. My parents have questioned me several times about the anthology. They were so excited in showing the book to their friends. However, there's still no book. Many people are in the same situation as me. This is consumer fraud and I wonder how much money this company has earned by this. This situation requires immediate attention.

White Oak PressPoetry America defrauded me

I ordered an anthology from Poetry America and never received it. Just received cynical slick excuses. This organization is committing internet fraud and they had the gall to come up with a new website design. I suppose a way to track them down would be through the postal inspector and through the bank that cashed the check you send them. The bank could be told to reveal the identity of the payee that endorsed the check or it could be held liable for complicity with mail fraud. Also, if the signature of the payee is not legible on the check the bank could be held liable for cashing a check without properly identifying the payee. When the faceless vermin behind Poetry America are identified, then charges must be brought with the prosecuting attorney's office with jurisdiction.

White Oak Press — Do not send them money

I received a letter from White Oak Press saying that they want to publish my poem in an anthology and if I...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices