uBid.com Complaints & Reviews

uBid.comTheir shipping charges are absurd - way over the top

UBID started as a great alternative to Ebay. When they would list multiple numbers of the same product (like 25 cameras available) you stood a great chance of getting one reasonably. And when you were the lowest of the 15 winning bidders you felt damn good about it. But listings now are generally for one item just like every other bidding site. And today when you do win there is a transaction fee - WHAT, where did this come from? On Ebay the seller pays that not the buyer. Lastly, their shipping charges are absurd - way over the top. Once I was so high on UBID they sent me a T-shirt - I bought everything from them. But now I'm disappointed in what used to be a respectable site. Its time for a divorce and I'm sticking with Newegg - great pricing, no buried fees, and generally free shipping.

uBid.com Sep 14, 2012

The transaction fee was instituted to cover costs of investments that we've made to ensure that you get the best deals possible. Because the fee is a small percentage of your purchase, it is displayed on the bidding page as a notice but can't be calculated until the end. Your MyPage and your packing slip also display the fee. The fee is a relatively small percentage of your order and capped at $9.99. It is also per order, not per item.

Shipping costs are an inherent feature in any mail-order service. Our shipping costs not only include the cost for shipment of your product, but also order processing. Order processing includes insurance, assembly and packaging of each order, as well as credit card processing. We understand that sometimes, the shipping costs may represent a large percentage of the overall price of an item but when you look at overall cost, uBid.com still provides a great value. The format for calculating the shipping and handling charge is based on a combination of the shipment method and the total weight of the product selected. Please note that the shipping and handling is per item. Therefore, if 5 items are purchased the first item has a set price and the additional 4 items have a set price. The shipping and handling information is presented on the bid page for your convenience.

uBid.com continuously re-evaluates the policies and your feedback is an important part in that practice. In addition, we continually review other e-tailers and retailers to insure that we remain competitive and continue to provide our customers with exceptional values and services.

Resolved uBid.comunsearched coins

ubid.com is or someone connected to them are screwing people over on selling unsearched roll of coins. Rolls that have been searched. First roll of coins I received, I was led to believe, that it was a roll of indian head pennies, the picture at bidding time showed the indian head at the end. When I received the roll it showed the rear of indian head penny at both ends. To my surprise the roll only had 49 pennies in it in which only three were indian head pennies. On second roll of pennies, I bid on what I was led to believe were a roll of unsearched wheat pennies. My surprise, some of the pennies in the middle of the roll looked new, and were not wheat pennies, but were newer pennies. On third roll, I was led to believe another unsearched roll of wheat pennies that had one wheat penny, that u can barely see the date on it. So, I paid six dollars for the roll, $8.95 for shipping, $1.99 transaction fee. So it cost me $16.94 for a roll of pennies valued at 50 cents. Their confirmation stated, how I won such a valuable treasure. I have removed myself from their web site.

uBid.comRefund

On 08-25-11 I purchased a monitor from Ubid.com, after 2 weeks I received my merchandise, after opening the package, there was no power cord included.
On 09-09-11 I contacted ubid.com per telephone and advised the rep. that I need a RMA# and a mailing ticket for FED EX to send the merchandise back.
I was e-mailed all the information and the same day I send the merchandise back to ubid.com
My package was received by ubid.com on 09-15-11 at 1:47 pm sign by E ***** .I was told by a rep from ubid.com that my refund will be issued within 10 days.
Today is 10-04-11 and after several e-mails and phone calls to ubid, I received no answer about my refund or a date when I'm suppose to receive my refund.
I tried one more time this morning to speak to a rep. and after being on hold for 75 Min which is an average hold time for ubid.com, I was told there having technical issues and can't access my account and I would be called back within 1 hour.
Needless to say, I never received a call back, nor have I heard anything about my refund via e-mail.
At this point I strongly believe, that ubid.com is not issuing a refund, even though my return was exactly as described in ubids.com returns policy and procedures.
I'm at the end of my possibilities and that's why I'm posting this here to warn every one else to be extremely careful when dealing with ubid.com.

uBid.comAccount Deactivated after Winning; won't honor winning bid an Item

I've been bidding in uBid.com for several years now and finally got my 1st win last week, an XBOX 360 Arcade that me and my kids bid on. Naturally, my kids were ecstatic for the win as they will add this console to their PS3 and Wii. A day after getting an email confirmation that I won in the bid, uBid deactivated my account and cancelled my order.

I sent an email to customer service to ask what happened and this is the reply that I got:

----------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting uBid.com. Please be aware that this order was canceled due to your IP address being out of the USA thanks.

If you have any further questions, simply reply to this email. In order to assist you properly, please do not change the subject line of your reply.

Sincerely,
-----------------------------------------------------

I went back to the user agreement to see if I have to be physically located the United States during the time of the bid in order to use the website but read nothing. I used my US-issued credit card and is shipping the item that I won to the same billing address (shipping and billing address is the same). I will understand their explanation if I was shipping the item to another address but I'm not.

I've pointed this out with the customer service agent (LaShonda M) that handled my complaint but I have not heard from her the past 3 days.

I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of goods and services the past 10-12 years on other online merchants like Amazon, eBay, Travelocity, Expedia, Cruise.com and many others but I have never encountered a problem like what I just experienced with uBid.com.

I had warned my friends not to use uBid whether they're travelling overseas or not. You'll never know what crazy excuse they will use next to justify the cancellation of orders or accounts. STAY AWAY FROM WWW.UBID.COM.

uBidAmanda May 24, 2010

This customer's order for the xBox is processing and he should receive it within the next week. The order was inadvertently canceled by our system. Any questions can be submitted to our Customer Care department. We are available by phone Monday – Friday from 9am – 4pm CST at 866-946-8243.

Amanda McDonald
    Customer Care Supervisor

• Lu
    luckyfella1 Jul 26, 2010

I recently bid on a hair cutting kit. I started bidding at the announced bid price of $9 dollars.
    Right after clicking on that bid, did I get an error message that I had a double order pending.
    Since I didn't I decided to try and bid again, . This time the price was $10. I did the Bid process again, and got this error msg again, and the price jumped to 11 bucks. Each time I got a error message saying my bid HAD NOT GONE THROUGH. I decided it was a lost cause, and exited the websight.

To my horror, the next day I received one email saying I had bid successfully at $11 bucks, and the shipping and handling, with a total of $19.52...
    Then, another email and another, three emails in total congratulating me on 3 separate bids.
    I immediately contacted UBID, and told them of the incident.
    They cam back with a statement " you have no orders pending", and there are no bids pending.
    I wrote back that they were wrong., and that I had been charged for one order. They didn't write back.

It's apparent to me they really know what's going on, and know the problems, but will NOT ACKNOWLEDGE their problems with the website., costing bidders like me the burden of their errors.
    They did send me an email saying that if I had bought anything, that it was UNRETURNABLE. In other words tough luck Charlie Chan..you bought the farm.. hahhahahahahaha..
    Thats the impression I get from this company.
    Now to the good part. This hair cutting kit had a comb, scissors, little brush that worked.
    The electrical part was worse than a toy. It not only didn't work. It was hazardous. Most of the screws holding this hair cutting device were loose. I think some of the executives at UBID have a few screws loose also, because I am contacting the regulatory forces and will file complaint forms with everyone I can.

In this day and age, to be treated by a website like this is criminal.

Resolved uBid.comWon't honor auctions

I have been a long time customer of uBid, spending a couple thousand dollars over a 10-12 year period.

Recently, I decided to buy some mp3 players as gifts, and found some at uBid.com with low opening bid prices. I won four of these units, in separate auctions, all at the opening bid price, because nobody bid against me.

uBid confirmed I had won, and later sent me USPS tracking numbers. But, it turns out they never mailed the items, they just issued the tracking numbers. When I complained that I had not received them, they just ignored me. It took many repeated attempts before they would even respond, and then they said they would just issue a credit.

This is NOT acceptable. They cannot cancel a contract just because I won at the opening bid price.

They obviously have more in stock, as they put several of these units up for auction every single day.

As I see it, the only option I have left is to file four complaints with the Federal Trade Commission. At least I will have the satisfaction of knowing it will cost them hundreds of times as much in legal fees to respond to those complaints, as what they are trying to cheat me - a long-time loyal customer - out of.

Obviously, I will NEVER buy from them again, and would advise others to STAY AWAY FROM UBID.COM. They are NOT honest, and do not even respond to customer complaints!

• Th
    thomasmc Feb 20, 2010

uBidAmanda Feb 23, 2010

There was an issue with the vendors items being stolen from a Postal Service truck which is why the customer was going to be refund; however, they were able to get another shipment of these into their location and have since shipped all 4 units out to this customer. He should be receiving them within the next few days.

Amanda M.
    Customer Care Manager
    Enable Holdings/uBid.com & RedTag.com

Resolved uBid.comCancelled Purchases and Deactivated Account

First Ubid.com canceled two of my successful purchases. They did this without notification, either by email or using their online systems. I notified them using their online help form. Apparently their customer service ends early in the day so you cannot call after work.

I had no idea why the purchases were canceled until I researched my account and found a minor credit card discrepancy (the CC number on the back of the card) was blank in their database. I corrected their error using their form and everything saved successfully. Then they deactivated my account.

Now I am out two gifts and no reply to my online help submissions more than 48 hours later.

Resolved uBid.comRip off

Bid, won and received a 'Sterling Silver Diamond Tennis Bracelet' After receiving the bracelet, I got out the magnifying glass and located 1 pin head sized diamond (alleged). Sure it was a cheap auction, however they had the good ol 'compare to' price of $600.00. LOL, its not worth more than costume jewelry. Auction said to click on thumbnail to get close up, tried that, it was a dead link. Shipping was in the vicinity of $18.00, it arrived in a tiny little zip lock bag in a 20 cent padded envelope with $1.33 postage.

This isn't the first time they scalped me, I won an auction for a gents Wohler Unger Watch for 72.00, MSRP - 3495.00. Manufacturers website also states same MSRP. The most popular auction site we all know has same watches being sold by other suckers for around $80.00. One customer allegedly had a Wohler skeleton watch appraised, came in at $120 - $180. a far cry from these fake MSRP's.

I warn you all, stay well clear unless it's known brand names for sale. I have since requested full refunds including shipping or it's off to the small claims court, well worth every dime of the filing fee.

Ubid also offers a fraud protection guarantee, we'll see how they stand by this, I'm sure there will be lot's aof side stepping, arguing and quoting putting all the blame back onto me

Forwarned is forarmed my fellow online shoppers, beware!!!

• jamesisajeweler Apr 02, 2009

Hello to you i'm James The Jeweler in Atlanta, Ga and i have my own jewelry discussion group under "JEWELRY & WATCHES" i read your complaint and i have to ask you what would make you think a diamond tennis bracelet set in STERLING SILVER would have a retail value of $600?

The only way that bracelet would have a RETAIL VALUE of that much is if there far more diamonds that what you've stated you saw with your loupe, and then the bracelet would have to atleast be 1ct total weight in diamonds that have a quality of no less than G - H color, SI1 to SI2 clarity. Sterling silver is not going to command any real value in a diamond tennis bracelet, the value must be in the size and quality of diamonds set in that bracelet.

I'm also going to suggest you STOP SPENDING YOUR MONEY WITH UBID.COM because how can you tell anyone here not to do business with this online retailer, and you keep going back to them spending your own money, losing it in the process?

I'm going to say this again here: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A DEAL ON "QUALITY" LOOSE DIAMONDS, GEMSTONES, or DIAMOND JEWELRY. You get what you pay for that's why i'm here to educate some of you on what you should be buying over what you SHOULDN'T be buying when it comes to jewelry.

If you have any jewelry questions feel free to contact me here.

• Dr
    Dr ismael verijas Aug 26, 2009

MSRP are manufactured by them, here`s the game.

the seller sets up a fake website, with product priced horrendously out of reason, so at that point they have a reference to their advertised savings .

the product is available somewhere else for 50 to 70 dollars, while the MSRP varies from 1000-3900 us dollars..

shipping is 18 bucks (as stated by some one that paid that) and shipped for around ONE DOLLAR FIFTY..

before you are given the privilage of bidding you have to furnish them with all your info, CC numbers and all..

it all smells like a death rat in the sun...BAD BAD BAD...

i for one will stay away from such crappy sites..

Dr Chuck Moleskin.

• St
    Steven Ski Sep 05, 2009

Ubid is a complete rip off. I was looking at a SD chip the other and found a 32gb chip for $1.00. I jumped on it like a fat kid on cake only to find that they were trying to charge $59.95 for shipping and handling. Now mind you this item is approximately 1 inch by 1inch and weighs less than a pound.
    So out of curiosity I wrote to them to inquire about it and here is the tap dancing reply that I received:

Thank you for contacting uBid.com regarding our shipping and handling charges. Our goal is to consistently provide exceptional value and service when you are shopping at uBid.com.

Thank you again for your feedback.

If you have any further questions or comments, simply reply to this email. In order to assist you properly, please do not change the subject in your reply.

Sincerely,

Molly Lamb
    Seller Solutions Representative
    uBid.com

• Po
    poppy10189 Nov 26, 2009

uBid auctions brass coins as gold coins. Mini gold coins are soild brass. Worthless!

• Sg
    sgtsa63 May 12, 2011

Ubid is a horrible website. I ordered Mac Pro and it didnt even have all the right keys on the keyboard. What a joke. A sticky hair covered box, no manual, and a computer that was scratched to h***! proceed at your own risk but don't use this website. The don't ship for a week and they charge you hidden sales fees. Good luck with their "customer services"... you have been warned!

• La
    Lavir Nov 25, 2011

Awful customer service. Unwilling to helP. Rude onphone when you finally get a person. DONT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM U WILL GET SCREWED!

Resolved uBid.comNot honoring a winning bid

Watch out if you are bidding on uBid.com. I had a bad experience with them recently. I bid on an HP laptop. When the auction closed (in this case it did not went to overtime), uBid.com web site showed me as the winner. However, more than an hour later I received an outbid notice. I went back to uBid.com web site and it showed a new winner with a bid of $200+ higher. I complained to uBid.com. Their response is that there was a glitch in their system and they are not responsible for the mistake. I went to BBB (Better Business Bureau) and filed a complaint. uBid.com gave the same answer. One month after I sent in my rebuttal, uBid.com did not care to respond at all. BBB (Better Business Bureau) then closed my case with this conclusion “the BBB determined the company addressed all the complaint issues and made a good faith and reasonable effort to resolve them, although it appears you were not satisfied with the outcome. Therefore, your complaint is being closed at our Bureau as administratively resolved, and will be reflected as such in the company's reliability report for 36 months, the Bureau's reporting period”, which is funny for me (in particular, “administratively resolved”). So, I just want to share my experience. You can see my original complaint, uBid.com’s response, and my rebuttal below. BTW, I learned one more thing from this experience. That is, now I know who BBB (Better Business Bureau) is protecting: their company members that pay the bureau or consumers. Make your conclusion …

Consumer's Original Complaint :
I was bidding an HP Pavilion dv5t laptop on UBid.com. The auction closed at 2:00pm PST on 11/30. About 15 minutes after the auction closed, I logged into UBid.com web site and saw that I won the bid (print-out in PDF format can be provided if requested). However, at night when I checked my email, I saw an email sent by UBid.com at 3:05pm PST which says that I was outbid (email can be provided if requested). I felt very strange and logged back into UBid.com. Indeed the web site showed a new winner (print-out in PDF format can be provided if requested). I called UBid.com on 12/1. Jessica T. told me that their system had a problem and the bid went into overtime (so I lose the bid). I questioned her that if their system failed to update the web site, why it showed me as the winner about 15 minutes after the auction was closed and showed another winner a few hours later when I saw the outbid email from Ubid.com? Also I questioned her that if the auction went into overtime, the number of extra bids in overtime did not match the time frame according to UBid.com's bidding rule (auction continues if some one makes a new bid within 3 minutes). Jessica could not answer my questions and transferred my call to her supervisor Brianna N. Brianna then changed the explanation that the auction did not go into overtime. I did not win within the regular auction close time. Then I asked her why UBid.com web site showed that the auction is close and I am the winner. The answer is their system had a problem. This is an unacceptable explanation and treatment to me who followed UBid.com rules to do business with UBid.com. I asked Brianna that if I won a bid, then I would not be able to cancel my winning bid and I would be asked to carry out the contract to pay for the auction I won. I would not be able to break the contract. Why can UBid.com walk away from a contract easily by just saying "Sorry, our system had a problem" when their explanation does not make any sense??!! In addition, a vendor should be responsible for the mistake they made. But, the answer I got from Brianna is that "No, we are not responsible for any mistakes we made". I said I will complain in other places in order to get a reasonable response or treatment. She replied "Go ahead. All complaints come to me anyway." When a company is doing business in such an arrogant, dishonest, and irresponsible way, they should be banned from doing any business before they improve their behavior.

Receive Business Response :
We apologize for the experience that Mr. Ku has had. The system did have a glitch where the auction page was not updating properly but his My Page was showing the correct and current information. The customer put in a bid on 11/29/2008 at 4:16:45 PM in the amount of $513.00. There were 28 bids after Mr. Ku had put his bid in and the auction ended on 11/30/2008 at 1:58:42 PM in the amount of $712.00. The auction format goes by price then quantity and then original bid time. We have apologized to Mr. Ku and even offered a coupon due to the problems he was having. However, he has declined. Since we are a liqidator and quantity is limited we are unable to give the item to Mr. Ku as the item simply is not there. Mr. Ku was not supposed to win the auction and did not according to his My Page. Thanks Brianna

Received Consumer Rebuttal :
The explanation does not make sense and is not acceptable.
1) Attachment #1 is the print-out from uBid.com web site about 15 minutes after the auction closed. If their system was not updating properly, why did it show that the auction is closed and I am the winner?!
2) Attachment #2 is the email sent by uBid.com that notified me I am outbid. The email was sent out at 3:05:17 PM PST by uBid.com (in the body of the email and Gmail shows that it received the email at 6:05 EST), one hour and 5 minutes after the auction was closed (at 2:00PM PST). This is not right at all and does not match the explanation!!
3) After I saw the outbid email, I logged into uBid.com again. It then showed another winner!! Attachment #3 is the print-out that I saw from uBid.com web site at that time. Note that the page shows that the total number of bid is 22 ("22 Total Bids Starting Bid: $1").
With my experience and what I saw (evidenced by the attached print-outs), it is not hard to understand that the explanation does not make sense at all. A system glitch that caused "the auction page was not updating properly" does not explain any of the items (1) ~ (3) above. Therefore, it is easy to reach a conclusion that uBid.com was not following the rules they set up for the auction and was playing tricks to grab additional $200+ profit in their pocket.
As for the coupon, a $5 coupon from a company that does not do business honestly and responsibly is of no use for me.
Note that the 3 attachments #1, #2, and #3 are included in the WinZip file attachment.