Sofa Express Complaints & Reviews

Resolved Sofa ExpressNeed repair

I too am a victim of Sofa Express! I have the reclining sofa and loveseat with cables that keep breaking. I get a recorded message saying the mailbox is not monitored and not to leave a message.

If someone could just tell me who or where I can buy the cables so we can use the recliners, I will replace them myself.

If the company had sent letters notifying there customers of their pending Chapter 11, I could have just asked them where we could call to get service or the parts needed to fix the problem ourselves. I don't think that is too much to ask for!!

Sofa ExpressWill never buy from there again!

I had an awful experience with Sofa Express. I purchased a sofa, chair, 2 end tables & coffee table on Nov. 1. I was told that the sofa & chair would be delivered in 21 days or less & the tables within 4 weeks. I was also told that someone would contact me within 7-10 days to set up delivery. After 2 weeks I had not heard anything so I called to find out about delivery. I was told that my items were not in, but they set up a delivery for Nov. 28... 4 weeks after I had placed the order. I was told that the tables would not be in by then, but they would call me at a later time to set up delivery for them. My sofa & chair arrived on the 28th. However, on 11/29 I was called about the tables which still were not in, but was told that as soon as they came in I would receive a call to set up delivery. On 12/5 I received my credit card statement with a credit from Sofa Express for my tables. When I called them they told me that the table order could not be filled & so it had been canceled on 11/30. No one had called me to tell me my order had been canceled. I had also received a discount off my sofa that the company had put towards my table order. I asked that the discount be placed towards the chair I purchased & they refused to credit my account. I could only use the credit towards more furniture. The entire experience with Sofa Express has been disappointing & the customer service I have received appalling. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Jan Reb Dec 09, 2007

I have no issue with sofa express. I just wanted to inform you that I recently (yesterday, perhaps?) found an article about Sofa Express Going Out Of Business! Here it is, posted on December 9th. Sofa Express and More is closing its 41 stores and two distribution centers ''in the near future.''

The company gave notice of the upcoming layoffs this week. The full-line furniture retailer has two area stores, one in Akron at 1739 Brittain Road and the other in Fairlawn at 3737 W. Market St. The company filed for bankruptcy Thursday in Nashville. There are 14 stores in Ohio, and the company headquarters is in Groveport, near Columbus. About 430 employees will be laid off in Ohio. ''There is no specific timeline yet on when the stores will close,'' said Janet Smith, a com
    pany spokesperson. Alisa Schueneman, human resources director for the company, said there are 900 employees company wide. Schueneman said she mailed a notice to all store locations and the company headquarters on Dec. 4, stating layoffs could begin as early as Tuesday and could continue over the next few months. Besides Ohio, the company has stores in Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana and Florida. There are two distribution centers for Sofa Express, one near Columbus and the other in Lawrence, S.C.

The company's worker notice, following guidelines of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, provides written advance notice of mass layoffs or closings. Schueneman said she also sent a letter to the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services. Sofa Express was originally founded as Westgate Furniture in Columbus in 1959. Other names have included The Living Room and then Sofa Express in 1989.

Marilyn Miller can be reached at 330-996-3098 or 800-777-7232 or [email protected]

Sofa ExpressNo way i will do business there again!

Sofa Express , Polaris Store in Columbus Ohio.

I bought the MOCOA entertainment center with a right and left wind. I told them I was having a house built and that the furniture would have to be in storage for a couple months but I loved it and they told me I should buy it now so I did.

Well 2 months later Im ready to move into my new home and due to a my grandfather recently passing away I inherited a table and hutch that will not go with the MOCOA. I decided to use it in the bedroom instead and found out that Sofa Express no longer carries the matching metal frame bed that goes with this set. The manager and the store called me and said they would not take the furniture back, even though it is still in its original box and never opened. She also told be that she would give me no credit towards another purchase... in other words... sorry about your luck was it. She told me she was going to check and see about getting the metal bed for me. She has never called me back. I was planning on furnishing my new home with the OPTIONS couch and living room coffee table (around $4,000.00), but there is NO WAY I will do business there again.

• Sh
    shar washington Nov 27, 2007

I placed an order for a bedroom set and when they came to deliver they didn't have my dresser. They never told me about that until the truck pulled up. Then they said that they wouldn't have it until July and it was May when they delivered the bed. I had clothes all over the floor for two months. Then I called the store they always said that they were going to call me back and they never did. Instead they didn't try to make it better all they said is that they would give me my money back. I didn't want my money back I wanted the dresser. They just didn't care. They wouldn't let me speak with a higher up and they was just rude. Finally they set up the delivery day for July. Then my husband called off of work and they said that we were not scheduled on there delivery, and we had to wait 3 weeks. Then I called and complained and they came out the following week.

Jay Anzanarelli Jan 05, 2008

The lady with the MOCOA set is an idiot. It is not the company's fault that you inherited something else from your grandfather and changed your mind on where or what you wanted to furnish specific rooms of your new home with. What does their return policy say? I bet it doesn't say....buy some stuff from us, store it for months, change your mind, and then oh ya - return it for a refund or store credit because you changed your mind. Take responsibility for your actions and decisions and try to be an adult. In addition, if the company decides to discontinue an item or line, it is not their responsibility to try and make customers happy who purchased product months prior. That is just the way it goes - new stuff comes into the market every month and stores can not continue to carry every style or model. Not to mention, it is not good business sense to carry too many products or ones that are not selling. Any business has to keep their product offering fresh and inovative - otherwise they are not profitable and will soon be out of business. Get a life, and suck it up. Post your MOCOA stuff on eBay or in the local paper.

Jacalyn Howard Mar 30, 2008

I went to Arlington Expressway to purcase a sofa "Going Out Of Business".. I found it to be worse than a car lot and have never been treated so crude by a business. I would not purchase anything from these people.

• As
    Ashley Jun 06, 2008

I purchased a KING sleigh bed from these people at what I thought was a good price. We didnt have money yet to buy a king matress so our bed lay in storage until today. Just so you know, I am so livid!!! I went to set up the bed (beautiful Cherry wood) and the Side Slats DONT FIT! They wont hinge onto the footboard. They made the bed wrong and now that they are closed, i am stuck with a bed that I cannot use!!! Im so pissed! Sorry to hear everyones heartaches! I feel ya!

Sofa ExpressNo assembly, damages, and an incorrect item!

We purchased multiple items from Sofa Express store in Tri-County on December 16, 2006 and were told by the sales representative that we could expect delivery in about 21 days. On January 4th we were given a delivery date by voicemail of the 20th. I called to inquire about an earlier date and was rescheduled for the 11th. Several days later, I received a voicemail to reschedule the delivery for the 19th because all of my items were not in. On the 19th your deliveryman came and just dumped the furniture into the house and told my wife “sign here.” No assembly, damages, and an incorrect item. I called the sales representative and he said someone would contact me. I was contacted by voicemail by the service department and given a number to call to set up an appointment for a technician to come out to cut the shipping straps and do the assembly; however the number [protected]) I was given is not to Sofa Express service department. I have place calls (January 21-27) to the store manager Mike Ernst, he never seems to be there. I have left messages with the store staff and on his voicemail. He has yet to contact me!!!

• Ka
    kathy fuller Oct 25, 2007

The furniture at sofa express is terrible, my furniture looked old after two months, and these chairs were adult used, no children. I had ten year old furniture in my house that looks newer. poor fabric quality, poor filler, and poor construction. I can not find anything good about this company including there customer service, and repair service. all lip service and no solution. However when all they have is poor quality product it is unlikely that they are going to be able to make anything better, other than to give your money back. I would think it will be bankrupt in the near future as people learn about the quality of the product. my chairs were 2200 dollars, that is for four chairs, I am not sure about two of the chairs as no one has sat in them yet, they are more for decoration, but the two chairs that we try to use are uncomfortable, and look like junk, no one would believe that they are less than six months old. look like something we would normally put at the curb.

• Er
    Eric Nov 30, 2007

I agree! I bought my couch 3 years ago and it looks awful. I have never had furniture fall apart like this before. The batting that supports your back has fallen out numerous times. I had them out to my house so many times to fix their crap they knew me by name. The parachute pulls that activate the leg rests are fraying and won't retract. I will never buy another piece of furniture there again. Their warranty is awful and they do not stand behind their furniture. Personally I feel sorry for the repair guys, having to put up with the griping from customers. What I thought was classic was the repair guy that came to my house from Sofa Express said himself they have had numerous problems with quality. He would go to Columbus once a month for their problems in the field meeting. He explained to upper management that quality was suffering and they told him to hush up and do your job. This place needs closed up for selling junk.