San Antonio Pets Alive Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] San Antonio Pets AliveDonation fraud alert!

Addy and Roo caught the eye of my husband and little girls while at an adoption clinic during the Summer of 2016. Addy was the companion that seemingly stood by to help get Roo through her lengthy recovery after major surgery was necessary to reconstruct her badly broken shoulders in the days leading up to that fateful day. They had been living in the same foster home at the time. No one really seemed to know much about Roo's history other than she was in very rough shape and on the verge of being euthanized due to the extent of her injuries upon arriving at their facility. At the time we adopted Roo, she was still recovering and heavily sedated on medication. We actually had to get special permission just to take her home. We were encouraged to adopt the two together since they shared a bond and almost relied on one another. We could see that they had an obvious connection. Though we had no intention of adopting at all that day, the kids and husband won and I went along with it.

I took Roo under my wing from day one. She spent many nights in my room on my bed as I nursed her back to health. She was very low on the front end, but she managed it well. Before we knew it she was running in her own special little way and was eventually keeping up with all of the other dogs.

The two dogs were the perfect addition to our family. That is, until all hell broke lose.
One night as we were serving dinner, the two dogs were in the kitchen. Roo was drinking her water minding her own business. Just as I was about to put the milk back in the refrigerator I felt a big whoosh from behind me. It was Addy leaping through me to get to Roo. She attacked her!!! It took a minute or two for it to register with me. I didn't realize what was happening. I had to grab Addy between my legs and practically sit on top of her as she snarled and snared viciously like Cujo. Joe grabbed Roo and she was cut and had bite marks. At the time we didn't know who was to blame believe it or not. We were confused and didn't think it would happen again... then it did. One night Joe had to break up another one of their fights outside. I was not there, but from what he tells me it was vicious. I saw the blood all over the door of his office. It looked like someone was murdered there. So we decided to quarantine them. Joe realized that they were in heat. I said, how? They are both spayed per the San Antonio Pets Alive. We have the records to prove it. Complete with sedation times, suture information...etc. dates of each procedure. It didn't make sense. I didn't believe it.

We kept them apart, then took Addy to get spayed. $273 with confirmation that she was in fact in heat! we took her home to recover. She moped around for a day or two, but she was back to her normal self not long after. We had several slip ups where we accidentally got our lines crossed and forget one was out and vice versa. Addy's hormones were still raging and she was still in attack mode and it was becoming too much responsibility. Joe would be in his office with Addy and the other dogs, while I was inside with Roo. Both would need to go out. It was very hard to communicate as Joe recently got promoted to senior manager and has a bunch of new hires overseas. He has been pretty much working day and night. The timing for all of this to happen was not at all good. Of course It never really is.

But then Sunday...
We were each enjoying our day. Joe was cleaning out the office while I was inside making crafts with the little girls. The girls went back inside and accidentally left the door open where Roo was resting in the kitchen. Addy bolted past everyone, jumped over the kitchen gate, knocking Savannah on her behind and attacked Roo without warning. I ran after her. By the time I got into the kitchen I could not get between them. I was kicking and hitting them. Using the rubbermade bin in my hands because I was so afraid of getting attacked myself. It was worse than a dogfight. But then it occurred to me that it was Addy who was attacking Roo. Roo was defending herself. Joe came running in not long after me and he took over trying to separate them too, but couldn't get them to release one another and it was impossible to assess who had who by this time. Who was injured... the severity of the injuries. Joe yelled, get a bucket of water and throw it at them now!!! The little girls were standing witness to the entire thing and were screaming hysterically in the background. I got the water and doused them both and it worked! I got a hold of Roo, straddled her and put her into her cage. Joe got Addy, but she was just snapping and snarling like some psycho. It was vicious and he had blood on him. We left Roo inside, thinking it was Addy who was injured because last we saw Roo had Addy by the throat. But as it turned out, Addy didn't have a mark on her. And if Roo really wanted to kill her, she could have but didn't! She was just trying to defend herself. She didn't do anything to Addy. Addy was 100% fine. Then I went to Roo. Took her out of her cage. She had a massive chunk of flesh missing from one of her arms.

That's when we realized just how out of control the situation really was. It became more than we could handle and it NEVER should have happened. We were lied to. Had these dogs been spayed properly, this never would have happened at all. We were unsuspecting pet owners who hadn't the foggiest clue about what was going on with our pets because going into heat never once crossed our minds. Then when we caught on, we thought spaying them would just magically fix the problem. Apparently not. Once two females get to this point, it's generally impossible to pair them up ever again. They will forever be enemies now. Addy is older and doesn't want the competition. She wants 100% leadership and another female means competition with the males in the pack, neutered or not. I never knew this and never felt the need to educate myself because these dogs were spayed as far as I was concerned.

Long story short, someone had to go. At first we wanted them both gone and I pretty much demanded it. I couldn't get a hold of anyone from San Antonio Pets Alive to save MY LIFE! I ended up leaving messages on their voicemail, going on to their Facebook, leaving countless messages there, on to their Twitter, I even applied to FOSTER and in the comment section blasted them there. I finally got them to take Addy back. That happened today. I drove her back to San Antonio myself this morning and dropped her off. They apologized, then proceeded to suggest that I take the dog back once the other dog was properly spayed. I assume that will be on our dime as well since no suggestion was made back to have her fees handled. Again, you cannot reintroduce females that are so far gone and hate each other like this. It's already too late for that. So I just handed over my dog that just last week we paid $273 to spay and now I am left with another one of their dogs, also not spayed. She is badly injured and her medical bills are mounting thanks to this outfit. Someone is responsible for forging those medical reports. Addy never had a scar on her abdomen and was in heat when she was spayed last week. Yet her report said she was sedated and spayed last June. They even noted the sutures and glue used to close up her wound. This organization functions on donations. Someone is pocketing those donations and not using them for the purpose it is intended. As a result, THIS is the kind of thing that happens. Perhaps the next time a person or child will get attacked. Then maybe they will have a lawsuit on their hands and realize how important it is to ensure that they are not releasing dogs into the public that are not spayed or neutered resulting in serious aggression issues. You hear about dog attacks every day. People dying from them. We were lucky.

San Antonio Pets Alive is not stepping up and fixing Roo. They are not doing a damn thing now. They took Addy back. A dog that we spayed and hand delivered to them just today.

They will have no trouble placing her with a family that has no other dogs. They will receive another adoption fee. They lose absolutely NOTHING while WE LOST big time. Our family is permanently scarred from the entire experience, we are out serious money and I blame them entirely across the boards. I had to raise such a racket just to get them to respond to us. Then yesterday, they were on the news for giving away a veteran's 2 dogs after only a few days of them missing from his backyard. They lied to him, saying they weren't at their facility when he went there searching for them. Micro chipped and all, they adopted the two dogs out within days and that poor man is not getting his dogs back now. How the hell does that even happen in this day and age?! They claim to be saving dogs, but they are seriously effecting peoples lives!

Think twice before making a donation to this organization! Go to another rescue or kill shelter! This is NOT THE ONE TO FUND!!! They are dishonest from start to finish!!!

  • Resolution Statement

    San Antonio Pets Alive has worked with us to resolve the issue. Has taken Addy back to pursue a new home for her. Also, they are planning on verifying Roo's spay and if she does so require it, will have it at no cost to us. They have discontinued services with the vet used in Addy's case and there should be no issues going forward. I feel that they have addressed the issue amicably and fairly.

San Antonio Pets AliveDo not volunteer here

I was drawn in by sapa pulling animals off of EBI. I enjoyed actually treating the sick animals that no one wanted or neglected and giving them a chance to get adopted and not killed. One thing is that the supervisors Holly, Joul and Rob are very mean and drive away volunteers. I use to volunteer at the sapa acs location and was treated very VERY badly by them that I just left. Not many people volunteered and I can understand why.
I signed up to come in at 7am because they needed help and were always shorthanded at the ACS location. I use to volunteer at other animal shelters, no kills and clinics for several years and had much experience.
But I could honesty tell you why they were short handed. Rob, Holly and Joul treat volunteers like CRAP!!
You basically have to see where you are needed or ask around when you get there. My first day volunteering was very exciting but right when I walked into the door at 10 till 7am, I had just walked to sign in and Rob shoved dirty dishes in my face. They were covered in dry dog food and feces and he shoved it in my face and demanded, "WHY ARE THESE DISHES DIRTY?! I was shocked by the treatment on the first day. "I just got here and no one was here..." Only to have them shoved in my arms and told to move my @$$. So I washed dishes only to have Joul ask me why the cages weren't clean yet. *note the sink was in the back*"I was told to wash the dishes." "Cages need to be clean. I'm not having my customers come in to see dirty cages because of you." They had kennel techs btw. This went on for a several months because I came in every other day.
The kennel techs were real nice and had me help them in cleaning and feeding. Still, most of the time it would be just me because the kennel techs called in sick. We didn't get much volunteers till later in the day. They had kittens that needed to be bottle fed and you guessed it, Just me. A volunteer had come in to bottle feed some kittens and taken a few outside to feed. They were placed in a crate. I was washing dishes only to have a acs staff member announce that the volunteer had left and the cage was sitting outside in the sun. The kittens died of heat stroke.
Before the move to marbach, the kitten ward was in the same building as the dogs. The techs needed help bottle feeding so I'd go and feed the kittens 7am sharp. It was a break from Holly's nonstop yanking me around and scolding me and Rob shoving things in my face because I was there for the animals. I had SO many kittens to bottle feed and just one bottle. Even if I was allergic, I came in to help them because it was just 2 cat techs and 4 dog techs no volunteers at 7am, only afternoons. I'd be making the kittens food only to have Joul come in and ask me why the floor hadn't been mopped up or something in that nature. I was ask to bottle feed only to be scolded by him.
Rob, Joul and Holly had a very bad habit of telling the techs to not do something and let me do it but never told me. I'd be either bottle feeding kittens, picking up dog poop, cleaning cages only to feel Rob jab his finger in my back demanding why something wasn't done. I'd be confused because I was not told only to be yelled at. The techs got yelled at and they said "don't worry, they are like that, he should of told you. You can't read his mind." I felt bad for the staff.
The final straw was when the parvo outbreak that happened at sapa. I didn't like that the general cleaning was a quick rinse and leave the poop on the cage bars and put a new puppy in it. I asked that they should at least disinfect it but was told, 'WE need these dogs in the cages and have to time to be messing around." I was shocked when Rob would use the same dishes that the parvo puppies had, rinse them lightly and gave them to another that wasn't sick. I was taught by a nokill shelter not to do that and would soak them in hot water and disinfect them. It took to long that Rob would just rinse and give them to another dog hense why the parvo outbreak lasted so long. *The puppies who didn't eat or had bloody stool were marked with a clip on the cage.*So that cage had a clip and no healthy puppy should go in there.
I'd leave in the after noon and come back 2 days later and guess what happened?
You guess it. I'd walk in at 7am and be pulled aside by Rob or Joul and be yelled at, WHY? Because the day I wasn't there, someone had made that switch that a healthy puppy was in a parvo dogs cage and since I volunteer to help clean cages, I was blamed by the kennel techs. The sign in sheet proved I wasn't there for two days but I got the blame for it. I was sent to not work with the dogs only unloading food and I kinda got fed up that I left the truck open and walked off.
During that time, I never saw 1 volunteer that did the work I did, maybe bottle fee but thats about it.
I got tired of being treated so badly by the supervisor Rob/Holly and Joul that I just left one day because I'm a volunteer and I came in to help. I'm not being paid but wanted to help these EBI animals but not with these three. They are horrible.I think they are singing a different tune after this aired about them
As for the kittens in this story, most come in sick and are treated on the spot. Some come in too late but the kitten ward is the place with the nicest staff. STAY AWAY FROM THE ACS SAPA LOCATION.

  • Ge
    g elaine Apr 26, 2014

    This happened over 2 yrs ago. The kittens are in a separate facility. Parvo pups are in a different facility now and under constant care. There are now 2 new adoption centers for well puppies that need volunteers and one is across from the SA Zoo. A start up always has problems and stress. Give them a chance.

    -1 Votes
  • Sa
    SanAntonio Aug 27, 2014

    There is no excuse for what happened and there never will be. SA Pets Alive pulls animals, throws them to anyone will take them, and does not follow up. They regularly release animals without ANY vet check, without ANY behavioral check, and without being spayed and neutered or with a REGISTERED chip. I have personally found 3 dogs, each not fixed, running loose with an UNREGISTERED microchip which came from SAPA. They need to be stopped immediately. The problems continue and EVERYONE in the rescue community knows it's a racket. Hopefully they will leave San Antonio for good shortly.

    1 Votes
  • Na
    Nancy Crandall Jan 11, 2016

    If the animals were being abused in any way why didn't those seeing it report them to authorities, and the IRS who approves their 501(c)3 nonprofit organization status?? I read the information above from the volunteer talking about the abusive treatment see received and that against the poor animals, and wondered why she, as a volunteer, remained in that situation for months. Why in the world would 1) a VOLUNTEER put up with that? 2) why stand by and allow the abusive treatment of the animals? Makes no sense to complain here and all this.

    0 Votes
  • Th
    The Real Gem Jun 14, 2017

    @Nancy Crandall Because maybe she feels personally responsible for the welfare of the animals. Unfortunately, many of these situations are seen as "acceptable" or go unreported because SAPA and many other animal facilities are not governed appropriately. In the state of Texas, and with SAPA in particular, they have no oversight by the Texas Veterinary Medical Board. Animals in a rescue are seen as property. The ASPCA doesn't cover here. Do you complain to the police, the city, the BBB? How? You're fighting a giant and there will always be those that argue the sacrifice of a few for the greater majority. In addition, the IRS strictly looks at funding and nothing else.

    I can also attest that not a single tech in the clinic actually has a license. A vet visits only once a week at the most. Therefore, there are a lot of underpaid and under skilled workers providing medical care to defenseless animals and as a volunteer you just accept it because you don't know better and you trust that the organization is safe.

    0 Votes