PeopleLookup.com Complaints & Reviews

PeopleLookup.commonthly subscription I did not order

I ordered one $7 report to find and old high school friend in June. In October I got an email saying that I had additional lookups that I could use. In January I got another one, and read it more closely.

It mentioned that my credit card would be charged. Did it mean if I used the service, or was it charging whether I used it or not. I logged in an found that they had been charging me $19.95 a month ever since June! I am sure that I did not sign up for this.

I canceled my account on line, then I called [protected]. After several minutes of waiting, I talked to a friendly person, who finally agreed to reverse a month of charges, but no more than that. She sent me a copy of the screen that I theoretically clicked on, but I am sure that I would not have done that.

I think their screen is designed to confuse you into selecting a subscription. They said that they have been sending me two emails a month, but I can not find them. (Did they design them to get blocked byspam filters?) They said that the charges were clearly indicated, but I missed them. I should have been smart enough to see them in my credit card bill.

monthly subscription I did not order

PeopleLookup.com

PeopleLookup.comDon't use

As a paralegal, I was trying to locate a former client. After exhausting my resources, I came across the www.PeopleLookup.com aka PeopleSearch.com. They had an offer to try their one-time search look-up for $2.95. I thought I would give it a try. During the "order" process, they ask you for your information for their membership. So, like any other "order" you place, I entered my name, address, phone, email, etc. And entered my own credit card to pay for the $2.95 one-time look-up trial. (As an aside, the information received from the search was invalid out of date, and worthless; but, oh well, it was only $2.95, right?)

Well, this is my own stupidity. I just now noticed, on my September 2010 credit card statement, a charge for $19.95 to People Search Membership. Huh? So, I look up the company, log-in, and discover I've been charger $19.95 per month since April!

Apparently, in entering my order information, when you click "Authorize, " you are authorizing their $19.95 "membership, " not just the one-time Public Records Report, as it appears. Yes, I did get monthly newsletters (ie, junk mail) "Thank you for being a People Search Member...Our services are great...yada-yada." Well, I did give them my info, so why should I think twice about being called a "member." What I did not notice, however, in what appears to be your ordinary e-mail from an "I really need to take the time to opt-out of their junk e-mail" company, is the one line statement towards the bottom of the e-mail stating: "Your credit card statement will reflect a charge from Intelius People Svc."

After calling and arguing with them for a half an hour, they claim they will refund the monthly charges. We'll see.

Kudos to People Search/People Lookup for skirting the edge of "slimey-scammer" by the thinnest thread possible... I hope you sleep well at night.

PeopleLookup.comDo Not Use!!!

PeopleLookup.comaccoun charging

There was an emergency in my family and we needed to contact a family member but, didn't know where to find her. I used people lookup.com to locate her and was charged $19.95 for their service;which is fine since they did find my family member. I no longer needed their service so I canceled the subscription this was in June of 2010 up til this month they are still taking the $19.95 out of my bank account! I've spent June, July and August trying to contact them but they have no phone number and sent them e-mails through customer service; and they still will not respond to my request.

PeopleLookup.comUnauthorized charges

I used peoplelookup.com to look up a former classmate from culinary school First the phone numbers on the report were bogus. It was the same 7 digit number with three different area codes. All three numbers were bogus.

A few days later I get a charge for 14.95 for 24protect plus. I never ordered anything like this. I called once to cancel and the customer service rep did cancel and said it would take one to two billings cycles to get a refund.

I said I never ordered this. Of course he told me I clicked on a banner to order the service. My reply was that I never ordered a rebate and would never order something like this.

I called twice and in each case the customer service reps could use some customer service training.

• Ge
    Geneva Finney May 30, 2008

I also was charged for a "membership" that I did not have.I paid the $1.99 fee for 24-hour acess, but then they drafted $19.95 out of my account for three months.When i realized what was happening I called them to get my money back.The man said that I subscribed by clicking on the appropriate box approving this in an e-mail.All I got back was $20 they told me that is all they could give back.The information in thier search was all bogus anyways, just to check it while i had access i ran searches on people that I already had current phone and address' for and all that showed up on their search was really old usless info

• Je
    Jennifer Jul 14, 2008

I got charged double than what they said and the name was wrong and the numbers were fake. I tried to call and no one would answer. This company needs to be closed down.

• Sh
    Shico Sep 12, 2008

I had the same experience as Geneva had.
    I paid the $4.99 fee once, but then they charged $19.95 under the name of "PMIdentity" every month until I realized the unauthorized charges. (4 months later)
    It turned out that Peoplelookup and PMIdentity are the same companies. I was able to cancel this "membership" of PMIdentity which I did never sing up and got my money back.
    However, since I contacted Peoplelookup, I have been receiving phone calls from strangers from various states in the U.S.
    They never leave a message and generally hung up very quickly.
    I realized that Peoplelookup/PM Identity were behind of this.
    They have been trying to get me use Peoplelookup again by making these phone calls from strangers. I don't even remember I gave Peoplelookup my phone #!

PeopleLookup.com — Extremely dissatisfied with the service!

I am extremely dissatisfied with the "QUALITY" of people lookup services currently on the internet. I used...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices