Gerdt Furniture Complaints & Reviews

Gerdt Furniture — Failure to honor warranty!

I paid $1440+ for my plush pillow top crescent restonic mattress. I loved it more than anything for the first...

Gerdt FurnitureChair and Ottoman!

I purchased a Chair and Ottoman in August of 09 from Gerdt Furniture. The items were manufactured by Best Furniture. Immediately upon receiving the items, I called Gerdt because of a problem with the chair. It is a retro sort of stripe. The side seam on the cushion was running along the top of the cushion. The stripes are also running at an angle. It is obvious by those 2 problems and bunching inside of the cushion upholstery that the core is too large for the cover, but the core is the right size for the chair. Other problems are the stripe is running at an angle on the back of the chair, the fabric is not centered on the chair, the list goes on. I sent it back once for repairs. One problem was fixed (not mentioned above). When I received the chair back the first time, I called again with the other problems. I was told to ONLY bring the cushion in to the store, by customer service. They argued about the other problems. I hung up and took the ENTIRE chair to Gerdt. A salesman for Gerdt total pointed out problems before I mentioned them and some I hadn't noticed! The main one being the upholstery was bunched on the back near one arm. I mean there are so many problems with this chair I couldn't find them all. It totally appears the chair is leaning due to the upholstery being placed incorrectly.

Okay, so I took the chair the last time on 11/6 to Gerdt. I never heard a word from them (customer service dept ) and called them on December 9. They told me my chair was at the Castleton store for pickup. on 12/15 I went to get my chair and NOTHING, I mean NOTHING had been done. The repair order was taped to the chair stating all the problems...mind you the salesman pointed many of these out and listed them on the order. 3 associates including the manager ganged up and said ALL that was going to be done was done! Hello, you didn't do anything. I took pics of the chair before taking it back to them. I told them I wanted a refund, and the manager said NO, we aren't refunding. Then she asked if I wanted to go ahead and take the chair today. I told her I was never taking that chair and I was going home and would be back with camera in hand to take pics of the chair after the repairs. Yes, she claimed the repairs had been made. Funny thing is, the arm covers were still in the very same spot I put them folded in the very same manner in which I folded them. That chair NEVER left the Castleton store, no way no how. When I returned with the camera, I asked who could take me to the backroom. One SA yells out, who wants to take her? (it was snowy and icy and no customers, lucky them). One man volunteered and stood and watched me take the pictures.

I have printed the pictures showing all defects, I took the repair order OFF the chair and have it, and I am writing a letter to the CEO and giving him 7 days to give me a full refund, or I am taking them to small claims court.

My SA at Kittles looked at the pictures and the repair order, PREPARED by Gerdt in Castleton, and said it is a no brainier. Gerdt has the money, and the chair, and I have the acknowledged repairs prepared by them. How bad can service get? I call this as bad as it gets. Do they really think I am going to let them have my $1200?

Oh and the manager said to me that I needed to take the chair because they couldn't sell it and they didn't want it. Hello! I told her who would want it, and walked out. The salesman who wrote up the repair order was there today but totally kept his mouth shut and far from me. I guess he is worried about his job. I didn't mention what he pointed out and how he said the chair was unbelievable but it will come to that. I am not wanting to cause him problems, but I am not going to lose $1200 or accept this crazy looking chair.

I know for sure, the chair was not sent to Smith Brothers either time, and thought about contacting them. I am not doing that because they let this chair leave their factory. Why would I expect anything better next time?

And yes, I sooo badly wanted this chair. I purchased a large and quite expensive area rug from Capael rugs, totally based on this chair. My other furniture is a brown leather... now I have this area rug (positively beautiful with the chair) that I must find something else, from another retailer to match up with it!

Debbie Dec 27, 2007

That would be purchased ON August 9, 2007.

Debbie Dec 27, 2007

update...I was called by Frank Schumacher. He claims to have looked at the chair and it is EXCELLENT. I have pictures to prove him wrong. The rep from Smith bros has also called me and offered no resolutions to date.

I was so angry when I submitted my first post that I called Smith Bros, Best! I keep saying Best because I was told they were one of the best furniture mfgrs. The chair WAS made by SMITH BROS..NOT Best

• Br
    Brent Neufelder Dec 28, 2007

I had a similar problem with Gerdt Furniture and Frank Schumacher and was forced to sue them in small claims. This seems to be their standard business practice.

Debbie Dec 29, 2007

I am going to sue them as well.

• Fr
    FreedomofSpeech May 08, 2008

You have such issues Debbie. I wish this was more recent so this would bring more attention. Do you think anyone feels sorry for your troubles when you stalk people on the internet for a living? Someone should start a board with all complaints about you alone.

S&S Brown May 09, 2008

The above person posting as Freedom of Speech is a known online stalker, and convicted criminal in Maryland, Heather Linette Sinclair.

She has a known history of criminal charges and mentally disturbed behavior. Local authorities are very familiar with her and an investigation into her behavior and the potential danger her child is in has been started with the Department of Child Services in Salibury, Maryland. Anyone with any information or documentary evidence of her stalking, threats and criminal actitivies are encouraged to report it directly to:

Wicomico County
    TEL (410) 713-3900 or (410) 713-3497
    (After hours: 410-548-4891) Sheriff's Ofc.
    FAX (410) 677-4830

201 Baptist Street
    Salisbury, Maryland 21802-2298

Her son's name is Ferdinand (Howard) Sinclair, they are familiar with the name and have an open case file.

Others here in her area have filed complaints, and we encourage everyone else to do so. We've tried to get a mental competency hearing regarding her, and we will continue to do so.

You should also let her ex-husband, Howard Sinclair, know what has been this woman's continuing behavior. He has an attorney that knows what to do with the information.

• He
    Heather Sinclair Jun 06, 2008

The above post is libel and defamation. You do not have my son's correct name nor do you have my correct location. You have posted that I am a criminal and this is libel and defamation, I have no criminal record. Please educate yourself on the proper legal definitions.

I believe the person who posted that you are a stalker is right. Only such a person would post information like it's true. You may think that you can post whatever you want about a person and you can hide behind different names but your IP tells everything.

You are a very sick lady. Please get some help. They shouldn't allow people with mental disorders such as yourself to even have access to the internet.

Such a shame!

Stalking tactics like this are being taken care of and have already hit the media. I can't wait to see how this sick lady defends herself with the media camped out on her lawn.

Debbie Jun 22, 2008

Hey, I only posted about a chair and ottoman. If you are saying I posted about you, then you are incorrect. Since we are on the subject why would you call me an internet stalker?

Gerdt FurniturePoor Service

My mother and I went to Gerdt in Avon just a few days ago. My mother is in a neck brace because of recent spinal surgery so we went there to try and find her a comfortable recliner to sit in. I opened the door for her for the first set of doors, and while we were approaching the second set of doors (which have windows) I could see two staff slouched in their chairs just looking at us. I opened the second set of doors for my mom and we walked inside. The staff still sat in their chairs staring at us, no "Hello" no, "Hi, can I help you" not a word, they just stared blank at us. My mother was offened, and made the comment " they obviously dont want any of my money" just then a sales man came up to help. When my mom told him what she was interested in, he walked very fast towards the product (keep in mind she just had surgery..so she tried to keep up) and when we got to the aisle, he POINTED towards what they had available. Eventually he helped her out a bit, but he seemed very disinterested. My mom decided not to buy anything from Gerdt for the very poor customer service. Why would she drop $1,000. or more at a store that treated her that way? They weren't even busy at all, so why wasnt customer service better???

Debbie Dec 27, 2007

If you think customer service was bad while looking for a chair, wait until you buy one! You better hope there are no problems after the sale.

• Be
    Beverly May 10, 2008

Why hasn't anyone elevated their complaints? Use the chain of command and if necessary contact the owners. This their bread and butter, remind them if necessary. You have to be your own consumer advocate.

• Ly
    Lynn Nov 16, 2008

John Gerdt lives in my neighborhood in Martinsville. You should contact him - he would be very interested in speaking with anyone who has a complaint.

Gerdt FurnitureDelivery charge nearly three times bigger than agreed amount

My complaint is about a furniture store in Indianapolis, Indiana. I ordered a few pieces of furniture from Gerdt Furniture in July 2006. When it arrived I was going to drive to Indy and pick it up to avoid any additional charges for delivery. However, after talking to the warehouse on 2 occasions I was told that the delivery charge would only be $35. We discussed this at some length as I was skeptical that this would be the total charge, but I was reassured three times during the conversation that $35 was the charge. Based on this information I had the furniture delivered to my home. Unfortunately, when it arrived the delivery charge was nearly three times that amount. I accepted delivery because a significant down payment had already been made which I was told would not be refunded. I then called Gerdt Furniture and was not able to speak to anyone about my concerns. I then e-mailed customer service and sales at Gerdt Furniture but received no response after 3 weeks of waiting. I called the warehouse to speak to the person who had provided the information to me earlier but she simply said, "I didn't say that". What I have requested is quite reasonable. I want to be charged the amount that was quoted to me. It is quite possible she made an error in her quote but I made my decision to have the furniture delivered based on the information she repeated to me three times. The additional money is less disturbing to me than the total lack of response or concern demonstrated by Gerdt Furniture. I definitely would not recommend shopping or making purchases at Gerdt Furniture as they clearly have no interest in retaining customers.

• Fr
    Frank Schumacher Apr 13, 2007

This complaint is completely without merit.

Our minimum delivery charge has been 49.95 for years. The area where she lives has been posted at our secondary delivery ring for 79.95. As to the complaint that we were not responsive to her complaint, I must disagree again. I spoke with her, and her only valid point is that we would not lower the delivery charge to 35.00.

I might also point out that our sales orders are preprinted with the "Local Delivery 49.95" charge since we adopted that as our rate some years past. I don't know where or if she heard a quote of 35.00, but it certainly was not from one of our employees.
    I might also point out that this was a delivery in excess of 70 miles from our warehouse.

• Ga
    Gary Folck Nov 01, 2007

My wife and I have visited the Gerdt furniture store on numerous occasions in the past. Your furniture is far superior to any of your competitors, in quality, appearance and your Sales Staff. I applaud you for this.

We have purchased furniture from your competitors and the floor model was great, when we received a new one out of the warehouse it wasn't the same, sat uncomfortable, something didn't work properly, etc.

On 6/4/07 my wife and I had the opportunity to visit and purchase a Sectional from the Store in Avon, Indiana. It was a flex steel P 4061 Series. We were and still are extremely satisfied with it. It looks good and is very comfortable. At the advice of the Sales Associate we purchased the Guardsman Protection plan control number FP5Rd JUP 77232312.

The Sectional we purchased apparently has one or more flaws in it as far as the sewing is concerned. The fabric has pulled and separated in at least three different areas. Needless to say we ae unhappy about the problem.

My wife contacted Guardsman and was referred to Gerdt, and than passed off to repair service and talked with a lady by the name of Sheila.

My wife was informed that the sectional we purchased was not covered under any warranty, we both reviewed the literature that was available to us and was not aware or informed of no warranty on this furniture.

My wife was told that since we purchased the Sectional on the floor was because we were sure that we would be unhappy with a new piece from the warehouse, only because of our unfortunate experience. I might add this particular piece was not discounted.

We have purchased Gerdt Furniture in the past and will convince to do so.

But this unfortunate circumstance has most definitely made us think. HAVE WE DONE THE RIGHT THING.

Sheila informed my wife that we had to pay for a Service call and repair because we purchased the Sectional from the Show room floor.

She scheduled an appointment to have the Sectional repaired, unfortunately at our cost. The question we ask of ourselves this morning was?

WE HAVE ONLY HAD THIS SECTIONAL APPX 4 MONTHS, AND THIS FLAW WAS OCCURRED. WHAT IF SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENS.

Please respond.

Ann & Gary Folck
    Phone: 765-352-1255
    ne-mail [email protected]

P.S. The service man was reviewed our furniture and has taken two pieces with him to have repaired.

Debbie Dec 29, 2007

Oh my gawd, I can't believe the President of this company has nothing better to do than post here? And post over what, an amount of money equal to less than $50?

WAKE UP Frank, your employees do not always tell the truth. One of your store managers told me the most idiotic lie you can imagine. I'm sure the mfgr of my furniture, who is also being named in my small claims case, will get a kick of out. This so obvious/ridiculous lie includes their company too. I was speechless and could NOT respond to it. It was just that crazy sounding...childish.

• Of
    offlineswat May 08, 2010

Please check out buyorstayaway.com to post your comment about Gerdt Furniture.

I purchased an $890 mattress from Gerdt furniture out of Southport Indiana in July of 2009. I purchased the mattress box springs, and frame from Gerdt and was told I would get a one year warranty. I am from Romania and believe I have been taken advantage of by Gerdt Furniture but we will see. I just moved from downtown to fishers and I had a professional moving company come and make the move. Before leaving the old apartment the moving company showed me a broken boxspring that was purchased from Gerdt Furniture; the broken wood looks as if it has been done before delivery as there where no splinters on the floor and missing pieces. Before moving I noticed the bed had started to sink and now it just keeps getting worse.

I wasn’t going to say anything about the box spring but now the mattress just keeps sinking to where I can’t get a good night sleep I had no choice but to call. I called at 12:30 and was ask if I wanted services voicemail. I called but was not called back so I had to call Gerdt furniture service department again. I was told there had to be 1.5 inch difference before they would replace the mattress. I was not told this when I purchased the mattress but I measured it today and it is over 1.5 inch dip in the middle. I was spoken to very rudely as if I was trying to take advantage of the company. The service crew from Gerdt Furniture is coming on Saturday 4 days after my call stating I cannot sleep on my mattress I purchased from Gerdt Furniture. I have the pictures of before the move, I have the pictures of the bed dip and I will post with the results, the attitude of the employees and how Gerdt fixes the problem they assured me they would fix.

The service tech just left my house and said he may be able to do something. The box spring they sold me is broken within the year warranty and they stated, they may be able to do something they have to talk with their boss. He said he may be sent back to repair it but when I set the bed on the floor their was a big U in the middle still so that won't get the job done, it needs replaced as the warranty states.

• Of