EyeMasters Complaints & Reviews

EyeMastersSubstandard Lenses

I ordered two pairs of eye glasses & the total cost was nearly $600. I ordered the glare-proof & scratch resistant lenses. It is impossible to keep the lenses clean!! Just barely touching them leaves fingerprint marks on them. Wiping them off with a tissue only makes the lenses get a film on them. Eyemaster's ought to be ashamed of their lenses product. I've been wearing glasses for over 30 years & have never experienced a problem like this with any of the lenses I've worn previously. I am very disappointed & feel like I was ripped off because I cannot believe with today's technology that a product can be so substandard & for such a high price! I'll never give them my business ever again!

• Km
    kmo967 Nov 16, 2011

I have been a licensed optician for 30 years and you do not want to use a tissue to clean your glasses! The place that sold you your eyewear should have educated you on cleaning them. Or perhaps they did but because, like so many other people, you think you know everything because you have worn glasses for thirty years, you didn't listen. The coating is usually 6-10 layers and oil based. Use lens cleaner for AR coating and a special lens cloth you can get at any optical shop. The coating can eliminate all but .5%of reflection so for most, it is worth it.

EyeMastersRuined my glasses

I purchased glass at another business in July, 2008 for close to $300. They were transition lenses and lined bifocals. I was with my husband in Eyemasters while he waited on two pair of glasses he had purchased and was talking to the man, who seemed to run the store, and asked what I could do to cut the glare. The lenses darkened properly, but didn't cut glare. He suggested tinting them, which he would do at no cost since we had just spent a considerable about of money there. He assured me he could put the glasses in a solution to remove the tint if I didn't like it.

Needless to say, the glasses were worthless for reading in the house! I finally asked other shops about removing the tint and was told it couldn't be done with damaging the transitions lens. I want back to Eyemaster and was basically told the same thing but they said they would try. After about an house they asked me to come back in a couple of hours. Finally a man came out and said it was all he could do. He had been soaking the lens ina solution of Dawn dish detergent and water! Excuse me, but I could have done that at home. The transitions lenses are ruined. Some of the tint is gone, but the lens won't lighten inside.

I am wearing three year old glasses right now and feel Eyemaster owes me a pair of glasses. I talked to three different people at the store and was told different things by all three. Same thing about my husbands glasses. He finally just gave up on trying to get his right.

I hope to hear from you soon, because I really don't won't to have to go back to that store, but this isn't right. I appreciate your help.

EyeMasters — Try working there!

In my reading of these comments, It is sad to admit this, but for the most part each one is true. Seriously...

EyeMastersRefused to make lenses unless I take new exam

My last 3 pairs of glasses came from this Eyemasters at Lakeline Mall in Austin, TX. Two of the frames with flex frames have broken at the same place-the nose bridge-without cause & in a fairly short timeframe. The frames which broke were really comfortable & lightweight & while I will not buy another pair of those frames, that is not the issue. The issue is that the eyeglass frame is broken & I want to buy a new pair of glasses at my expense. My prescription, which they have on found & is on file, is more than 2 years old. Even though I have no problem with my lenses/ prescription, Eyemasters will not sell/ make a new pair of glasses for me unless I pay to have a new eye exam. Eyemasters is forcing me to pay for an eye exam which I do not want and which I feel is totally unnecessary.

Chubbyknob Jun 18, 2011

Dear Child who Got Hold of a Computer,

Your eyewear prescription is just like a drug prescription and, by LAW, no one can use it if it's over one year old and written by an optometrist (ophthalmologists in Texas are governed by a different body and can, if wanted, make their prescription valid for a lifetime!). Face it: in many subjects, other people are smarter than you and are advising you to do things for your own good. YOU may think you see good enough, but compared to what? Not wearing glasses? How about making sure you are 20/20 with a current prescription for...lets say... all of us who drive with you on the road?!! You went three years without a new prescription. You won. You kicked Father Time in the taint and got away with not buying glasses for two more years. Now quit crying and take care of your business. F'n cry baby.

• Da
    Dan Alsup Sep 12, 2011

Amen. You beat me to it.

• Mo
    monurp Feb 24, 2012

I purchased lenses from the Eyemasters in Brownsville, Texas. I used my insurance for the first pair and could not purchase another pair with insurance so I had to pay out of pocket for the second pair. I had just purchased my insurance (never had vision insurance before); so I was not aware that I could of had a 50% off the second pair. When I was made aware, I was promised to be refunded and then was denied by the manager. She decided to go back on her word and offer that I buy a third pair (that i do not need) and give me 50% off that one (GREED). She stated she could not go back and change a previous transaction as per the in-network insurance agreement --she imposed a new rule that does not exist . Why is it she can make an exception on a third pair (paid out of pocket) and not make it right with the second pair (still out of pocket)?
    Do not go to Eyemasters!! You cannot trust a business that does have integrity and treat their customers with respect. If their only goal is to steal from their customers, then how can you trust the workmanship of their product? GREED is their only motivation.
    I plan to contact the media from my hometown and have them do a segment on my experience. The media has been very successful showing the public of businesses that steal with no shame. I want everyone to know.

EyeMastersBad Service

I'VE BEEN BUYING GLASSES FROM EYEMASTERS FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS. I'VE HAD SOM PROBLEMS IN THE PAST BUT THE PROBLEMS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN WORKED OUT. NOT THIS TIME. ON 05/21/09 I WENT IN TO GET GLASSES. I PICKED OUT FRAMES AND LENSES TOTAL COST WAS $329.00. IN 10 DAYS I WENT TO PICK UP MY GLASSES. I WORE THEM FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS BUT I WAS HAVING TROUBLE READING. I WENT BAK TO THE EYE DOCTOR AT EYEMASTERS AND HE SAID I HAD BEEN GIVEN THE WRONG SCRIPT AND HE CHAGED THE BIFOCALS TO HELP ME READ. TOOK THE NEW SCRIPT TO EYEMASTERS THEY AGREED TO REMAKE THE LENSES FOR FREE ACCORDING TO THEIR POLICY. IN A FEW WEEKS I WENT IN TO PICK UP MY NEW GLASSES AND THE LENSES WERE SCRATCHED. THE CLERK TOLD ME THEY WOULD REMAKE THE BAD LENSE. IN TWO WEEKS I WENT BACK TO HAVE THE NEW LENSE INSTALLED. I WAS TOLD THEIR LENSE CUTTING MACHINE WAS GOING TO BE DOWN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS BUT THAT THEY WOULD CALL ME WHEN THE GLASSES WERE READY. YESTERDAY ON 07/22/09 I WAS CALLED SAYING MY GLASSES WERE READY. I WENT TO PICK THEM UP THE BIFOCALS WERE NOT STRIGHT ACROSS. AND WHILE FURTHER EXAMINING THE GLASSES I NOTICED THAT THE LENSES WERE STILL SCRATCHED. I WAS REALL UPSET BUT KEEP MY COOL AND CALMLY ASKED FOR A REFUND. I GUESS THEY WERE TIRED OF ME BECAUSE THEY REFUNDED MY MONEY QUICKLY WITHOUT HESITATION AND DIDN'T ASK TO LET THEM FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY HAVE LOST A CUSTOMER OF 10 YEARS THAT HAS THREE FAMILY MEMBERS WHO ALSO WERE GLASSES.

• Ca
    c.alires Jun 02, 2010

I reported a second incident of an error on the eye glasses I ordered on 5/15/10 to the national Eye Master Customer Service. I ordered a pair of glasses to work on my computer (intermediate lens) and the bottom section of the lens for reading (near vision) 12/12/09.
    The manager at Eye Masters could only offer me a replacement pair of eye glasses for $92.98 since my warranty from 12/12/10 had expired. I paid the required amount, and the order was placed on 5/15/10 and I received the pair of eye glasses on 5/25/10. Unfortunately the new pair of eye glasses was identical to those ordered on 12/12/09, however, without the Bifocal line. I still cannot see my computer screen.
    On June 1st I went into the Sugar house Store # 4287 and spoke with a sales tech, Melissa R. She explained that I needed a "Short Corridor Design" with an "Intermediate lense on top and a "Near Vision" on the bottom. I explained that was what I thought had been ordered both times. I asked for a refund and for them to return the lenses I paid $232.92 for in Dec. 2009. She stated that he lenses had been thrown away. I was not informed of this or given the opportunity to keep my lenses. I was required to return the eye glasses and they would take out the current lenses and return to me my empty frame if I wanted them to approve a refund of the $92.98. Who is going to pay me the $232.92 for the lenses they threw away? What a rip off!!! I have been a customer since 1999 and I will never purchase another pair of eyeglasses from Eyemasters. I am extremely unsatisfied with the service I have received at Eyemasters #287 in Sugarhouse. The national hot line "Customer Service" office is a joke!

• Ti
    Tiffany W Sep 04, 2010

I went into the Eye Masters in Murray for one of their promotions. I had to wait like 30 minutes to see Dr. H*$$, he was just rude and slightly disconnected, and just generally not interested. He just wanted me in and out I could tell. I asked about bifocal lenses (because having a lazy eye as a child I have always had them) his general demeanor was "why bother?" And if I wasn't sensitive to it already he just bluntly said there's no point in even getting a separate Rx for my other eye and wrote on the Rx that my right was the same as my left. And after being rushed through the whole process (like 10 minutes, 75% of the eye exam was just on the 'normal eye') he gave my paper to the girl to ring me up. The total was astronomically higher than I originally thought! I said 'no thanks', walked out after paying for my 'exam'.

I later attempted to use the Rx online with a very great eyeglass service (custom made, super awesome frames) only to find my Rx was incomplete! only the left eye Rx, no mm in measurements, nothing else!

Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had as a customer, and being from a family of people who wear glasses, I highly recommend staying away from this place! I have worked retail and customer service and can tell that this business is set on trying to get people in and out and quickly as possible, irregardless of whether or not any of their service is done properly.

ABSOLUTELY THE WORST! Been into Lenscrafters and realize that they're 100x more helpful and friendly (even though I haven't bought anything from them!) If your in the Murray area avoid Eye Masters and go to Lenscrafters or one of the other near-by eyeglass stores.

EyeMastersOptical

Purchased two pair of glasses on 3/19/2009 in the amount of 224.00.
by June 1st one paid had formed a gooy substance on the nose pad and not being able to clean the lens because of smeary goo. I switched to second pair and they did the same thing in less than three weeks. I called Texas because I was home in Il. 1400 miles away and they sent me some nose pieces that wouldn't work and a bottle of lens cleaner that wouldn't clean to goo off. I then took them to Memphis, Tn. while when on vacation and ask that my money be returned for a substandard product they flatly refused because they only give a thirty day return policy, and accused me of using some chemical agent to them while I did not do. I told them it was on my nose all the time. They also told me that if anything was to be done I would have to contact South Texas in which I did by phone. After talking to South Texas the store manager reminded me of the 30 day store policy again and said he would check with his supervisor and that call has never been returned. How can you go through two pair of glasses in three months if they are not defective in some way.

Mardin E. Betty
e-mail [protected]@frontiernet.net

• Ba
    barbaraann Sep 01, 2009

If the nose pads were silicone there may be a possibility that you are allergic to the pads. The allergy and resulting skin secretions could have caused the gooey substance. If you still have the glasses, you could take them into an Eyemasters and ask for vinyl or PVC nosepads. Rubbing alcohol may remove the goo off the lens. Just a suggestion.

• Ra
    rathsmarkt Oct 02, 2010

"Why pay more?" I guess that's why. :)

EyeMastersBad experience

EyeMasters - www.eyemasters.com

On [protected] went to eyemasters for eye exam and new glasses. Took two hours to make them and when I went to try them on I told them something was wrong with them. That when I looked at a piece of paper the paper looked like it was short on top and longer on bottom. They said everything was ok I just had to get used to wearing them. I went back on 07-21-2007 and told them the same thing they did there little adjustment told me to go home and that I just needed to get used to them. I had my family and friends try them on they see the same thing I see so on 10-21-2007 I went back again. I told them I whated new lenses made they checked them said they were fine. I told them to look in them and they would see what I was seeing they would not told me my warranty was out and it would cost me to make the new lenses. I live 100 miles from Independence Center. I then asked for my money back and they would not give to me. Can someone help me with this problem I cant afford new glasses.

• Co
    Concerned Citizen Mar 19, 2008

I went in yesterday for an eye exam. I have no problems with the contacts they set me up with, but it took nearly two hours to get them! It's not like they had to do anything but pick up a box and hand it to me. They sat me in a dark boring room for like half an hour all alone before I even got to see anyone. When the doctor finally came in he was a jerk. he sent me out to pay and get my trial lenses and while the assistant was picking them out he started arguing with her. then I get sent back to that stupid room for another 10 minutes so he could check the fit. This was by far the WORST experience that I have ever had at an eye appointment.

• Jm
    JM Apr 03, 2008

My email to EyeMasters today: I will start my email saying that you lost my business. Here is why: on 03/15 I ordered a pair of glasses at your Katy, TX location (I-10 and Fry Rd). 2 weeks later I called to check if it was ready for pick up. First flaw: it was "ready" and nobody had called me. When I got there and tried it it was completely off. I could not see well through it. All blurred. The attendant kept saying that they had did exactly what the prescription said. I insisted and offered them to compare it to my old glasses. They then went back to "check something". A few minutes later he came back saying that the person had read it wrong, that the doctor used a strange convention, that they interpreted it 180 degrees wrong, etc. They were nice though apologizing and saying that they would rush it. One week later I called to check and they told me it should be at the store on Wednesday afternoon. I could not come that day. The day after (today) I went there. They were "finishing" it.When they brought it to me one of the lenses seemed ok. The other one was still completely off. I also noticed that that one of the lenses was not well-finished. The cut was grossly done.The person went to check it and came back with an apology. When I mentioned that I was considering asking for a refund, the person told me "ok", without hesitation and without trying to keep my business. No efforts to offer me some kind of compensation for the grief I was going through. Come on guys! This is basic good business practice. You have to at least try keeping the business of an unsatisfied customer! That was a pathetic and deceiving situation! My last pair of glasses was done at Sam's club, seven years ago. Done right in time, excellent service, good price and done right the first time.And I am still wearing those glasses! Can you imagine I will come back to one of your stores? Or that I will recommend you to friends and relatives? You should review your employees' and technicians' skills and your business practices.

• Ta
    Tatjana Oct 18, 2008

I bought two pairs of eye glasses during March of 2008 from EyeMasters. It is now October, and one of my pairs have broken. I don't remember if I bought a replacement warranty, so I don't know if this breakage will be covered. Basically all I need them to do is replace one of the sides. But I could swear that they told me that if they broke I could just bring them back and that they would fix them for no charge. I was just wondering if I remembered correctly or not?

• Ms
    msrozz Jul 07, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

I purchased a pair of glasses from your Eyemasters #65 store in Arlington Texas on June 26, 2009 with CASH, no insurance. The person that helped me took some time and helped me find the perfect frames. I told her and showed her the glasses I would be replacing. The lens are Nikon with Progressives and Transitions, AR, Scratch Resistance. I can see all around with no problems. The new ones I got at Eyemasters were awful! I could not see in them and they gave me headaches and ill. When I picked up these new glasses, the person that dispensed them, looked at me old ones and stated that these new ones will be hard to get used to and are not near as good a lens as my old ones. He was right! I've tried to wear them, but I can't without getting headaches and ill. I called this morning and spoke with Brian in the lab. I explained the situation and he advised me to speak with the GM Brad. I understood that lunch would be between 12 noon and 1pm so I arrived at 1:45pm. Both were at lunch so I didn't get to see them until around 3:35 - $4:00. Brad was very nice and did the paperwork for the refund. He stated that the progressives were aligned wrong for one thing and a lens that would work better for me, your company does not offer. I wanted my money back then, but was told that it had to be issued by check from corporate. That is ridiculous! I paid in cash and wanted my money back right then! I can't replace my glasses until I get my money back! It is bad enough that I had to wait to get these in, they weren't correct, now I have to order them through somewhere else and wait another 10 days AFTER I get my money back from your company! So, I get to run around without glasses since my old ones are broken, hence why I got another exam and wanted to buy new glasses from you. I NEED MY MONEY BACK NOW! I understand that you don't want your stores to have too much cash on-hand, but they didn't deny taking my $279.99 in cash. Suppose I would have used a credit card and then told my credit card company I was disputing this because of the error? They would have refunded the money back to me and I still would have your glasses! Someone really needs to review this policy! I didn't use insurance, so there really should not be an issue. I need my new glasses NOW. Please contact me asap and advise where I can pick up my check. I should not have to drive down to San Antonio to get it nor have to wait to receive my money. Your company would not have ordered my glasses without me paying for them first, because you didn't trust me to purchase them. Now, I'm suppose to trust you to the point that I will receive my check/cash in a timely manner? I want to pick up my check/cash from your store in Arlington Texas at The Parks at Arlington Mall Tuesday, July 7, 2009. I'll expect a call from you all in the morning. I tried calling your customer service from 4:15p until 5pm Monday with only receiving voice mail. Brad had also tried to call you all. He also tried faxing the refund but the lines were busy. I even spoke to someone in another department there and she spoke to the person at 210-524-6540 and that person said to transfer me to her. When she did, I got her voice mail too! Then, I called 210-524-6538 and spoke with John. He personally went over to customer service to find someone and everyone but 1 person was gone! He said she was on a call and he knew that when she got off that call, she was leaving. As I stated, no one answered the phone even prior to closing time! Ridiculous! I need to pick up my refund tomorrow.

Rosalyn L. Newman
    817-477-1747
    Refund Number 270134
    Orig. RX Number 269695

UPDATE:
    I received a call today from Julie at 210-524-6540. She was very rude and the only reason why she called me back was because I left a message on her voice mail and since another employee transferred me directly to her line, there is a record. She gave me a BS story that by paying cash, it isn't as safe as paying with a credit card and that the stores don't like having a lot of cash there. They accepted the cash gleefully! They didn't state that they would prefer another form of payment. She stated that it would be at least 14 days before I would receive my refund even though the cut off date for checks is tomorrow (Wednesday). She stated that tomorrow's cut off is for refunds that were processed 2 weeks ago. This company really lacks customer service and for them, it is the bottom line...getting to keep your money as long as possible or completely. For all of the voice mail messages I've left, I've only received 1 call back. I was told that a manual check can be issued by the Territory Director and Brad, the GM is trying to contact him for verification of that. But, so far, nothing has been really accomplished other than my blood pressure rising and my very ugly view of this company and it's policies. They were quick to tell me when I paid for the glasses that I could get a refund within 30 days of purchase as well as when I picked up the glasses. At no time did they mention that a check would have to be issued...even though I paid them with cash in their store. I am posting this letter to all online complaint boards so others will know exactly what kind of company Eye Care Centers of America aka Eyemasters and their other subsidiaries are and how they operate.

• Cu
    CustomerUnhappy Jul 31, 2009

I purchased two pair of eyeglasses from eyemasters in November. About two months later, one of my lenses fell out. About three months later I started to notice cracks in my glasses. I took my glasses back and the manager stated that is was due to the heat. Then he stated it was scratch. Then he had to admit that he did not know what happened. I told him that it was not due to the heat and could he explain why my second pair had lines on them as well. I explained that I was told if I purchased some protective covering that the glasses will last longer. I then explained that the gashes/cracks in the glasses were not due to any fault of mine. He proceeded to tell me that I could purchase another pair of glasses...WHY would I want to do that? If I already purchased two pair of glasses from Eyemasters and I am already having problems, do you really expect me to buy another? I called corporate and they stated that was their policy. If I did not purchase a warranty then they will not fix them. I understand the warranty for my negligence, but for something that I was not a fault for, let’s am reasonable.

• Ms
    msrozz Aug 28, 2009

UPDATE:
    I did receive my refund pronto AFTER speaking with a district manager.

• Oz
    ozzmosis Dec 10, 2010

Hi, I bought a pair of transition glasses at Willowbrook Mall in Houston, TX. These glasses are so scratched up I can barely see out of them...They give you this little rag and some fluid to clean your glasses with, but lets get real, who;s able to carry this with them at all times..The only thing i use to wipe my glasses is cotton..But they still scratch..I love the idea of Transitions but won;t pay the over $300.00 it costs for cheaply made glasses...BEWARE of the transitions..I guess its back to switching from reg.glasses to sun glasses again..Plus I;ll use another store..I don;t care for the attitudes and the service either..They don;t seem to care if you ever come back or not..Thanks, Barbara..

• Bl
    Blind Dude Jul 05, 2011

The Ft Worth Eye Masters at Ridgemar Mall has completly gone to pot. Got a pair of glasses from a person that just did not want to be there. Poor attitude|. Ordered my glasses and was supposed to be called when they arrived". No call, had to call them, . When I picked them up they were not fitted, rather just handed to me/. The temple broke two weeks later and I had to pay $20".00 to get them replaced.. New type of warrenty???? The bifocals are way off and it's hard to see straight so I will have to go and get a new pair somplace else as they have lost a customer and his family?. What has happened to "customer servive"???

• Da
    Dan Alsup Sep 12, 2011

It is a well-known scam, dopey. Run like the wind away from this attempt to scam you out of money.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices