American Shingle Complaints & Reviews

American Shingleno roof

American shingle came to my 85 year old mother home and she and my 67 year old brother signed a contract to have a roof installed this summer. Unfortunately they gave these crooks an insurance check from Hartford for $2, 190.01 on 8/6/10. About 2 weeks later we received a telephone call to inform her that the materials would not be delivered until 10/31/10 and the roof would be installed on 11/1/10. About 2 weeks after that we received a undated letter in the mail stating that she would be receiving a full refund. I have contacted the Attorney General of North Carolina, but from when I have been reading because of the bankruptcy they have total protection and no assets. This company knew full well what there financial situation was before. I work for a bank who requested a bail out. Executive officers and other management were possibly aware for quite so time. I also spoke to one of there salesperson and he also told me that he was till owed thousands of dollars in back pay. This company should more definitely be investigated. My mother is also deaf and elderly, if the take advantage of someone like that I not surprise by what I'm reading on some of the other sites.

Afkap Dec 15, 2010

They took your check on 8/6, and they shut their doors on 8/12 and filed BK shortly thereafter. So they took your money KNOWING they were not going to install your roof. That is criminal intent and fraud. File a police report against the sales rep or the person who took the check, or both. Also consult an attorney to see if you can sue the sales rep, the project coordinator and the production manager as individuals...everyone who told you your roof would be installed when they knew it would not be installed. They are just as culpable in the crimes as the owners. All their names and phone numbers are listed elsewhere on this site under Southern Armor since most of the American Shingle sales and production people are now with that company.

American Shinglewhat now after we all know we were stolen from

Here it is November...most of us posted the scam dealings in August when it became apparent...we had all been screwed..please post any updates...here's mine.

I'm out 5, 000.00, I contacted my Allstate Rep. to get the balance of funds out. I got approved and put a local roofer in touch with my Agent only to find out..(per agent quote) I can't have the Arch. Shingle or the new vent on the top of my roof..well, why the hell not..Allstate told me clearly when I caontacted them in August toalert them of the rip off that that was my money and i could have gone to Spain for all theuy cared. This is what I was promised by A.S. in my original quote/contract, why should I settle for less.

Aslo..I have had no word from our SC Atty general, no more news from the media. What are they doing about this. It involved a lot of citizens across the US...I want to know what's the deal...do we need Attorney's, what!

I'm contacting the news channel that ran my story in August to try and stir it up again.

Come on FBI...where you at...where's my elected offical's ..Am I gonna have to start my own campaign to located victims across the US and build a class action suit?????

Fed UP!

zildjian Nov 04, 2010

OOppsss..I should have checked my spelling and sentence structure...that's how damn MAD I AM !!!

Afkap Dec 15, 2010

Please do contact the media, an attorney, other victims, etc. Be sure to add your name as a creditor on the bankruptcy filing and encourage other victims to do the same. The four owners of American Shingle ripped off thousands of homeowners as well as vendors and even their own employees. They were living large off all that stolen money and still are while the authorities drag their feet. When are arrests going to be made, assets seized? The authorities took the ill-gotten assets of Richard Scrushy and sold them to make partial restitution to those he ripped off. The same should happen to these crooks.

• Go
    gottobekiddingme Dec 21, 2010

HERE's HOW IT WORKS PEOPLE!!!...They sub-sontract the roofing installation to a local roofer; usually the lowest bidder, for a set price around $150-180 per square. They in in turn tell you they will do it for what the insurance company pays; between $190-230 per square. They put the roof on, collect the checks from the homeowner given to them from the insurance company, pay their sub-contractor his set amount and THEY KEEP THE DIFFERENCE! And for what? For calling your insurance company to file a claim for you. That's it, nothing else. Making a phone call. They send a "ladder assist" to meet with your adjuster and wait for him to either pay or deny the claim. If the claim is denyed, you are still hit up by your insurance company for filing a claim. Call a local roofer who will verify damages before filing a claim.

Afkap Feb 17, 2011

American Shinglesubcontracted installs and did not pay for the work

American Shingle subcontracted the roofing installs with my company and did not pay for the work they agreed to pay us. We signed a contract with them and never breached that contract, but they did with us and as it appears the whole world!!! I know that our company is not the only company out there going through this situation and our hearts truly go out to them and all of the victims of this situation. We were installing and tarping roofs up until the day before they closed their doors on 8/10/10. We tried to deliver our invoices for the prior week to the Charlotte office, as was required, on Wednesday, 8/11/10, only to find that the door was locked and that there was no longer a company. They currently owe us over $18, 000 and we are very concerned that we will never see that money. We were left not being able to pay our personnel for the work that they did for Shingle. All of this has left us in a sickening situation to say the least?!?!? The really sad thing is that we are now having to also field telephone calls from customer’s of American Shingle whom are desperate and upset about their roofs not being installed, leaks in their houses, repairs, etc., etc. These customers have no where to go and no one to help them, just like us. How on earth could the managers in the individual branches have not known something was up and how could they have consciously taken people's money and hired out work to companies like ours when they knew the company would not be around to fulfill their contracts to their customers and to their hired help? The more we learn the more it becomes apparent that they not only did not appreciate their customer's nor did they appreciate their employees, their subcontractors and whoever else worked with them. They claimed that the money they collected was insurance money and not the customer's, so why are the people upset!?!?! I mean, COME ON!!! That is a bunch of nonsense, if I ever heard it. The customer's have paid into those insurance companies every month; some probably for more years than you can imagine and never had a claim until now. Then to have something like this happen to them is just unforgivable. What a big spiraling mess! If anyone is aware of a central place where customers, employees and subcontractors can all file complaints and claims please email that information to [protected]@gmail.com. Everyone needs to pull together to make the owner and his or hers accomplices pay for their actions.

Afkap Aug 25, 2010

File a complaint with your State attorney general's office. A.S. has stolen money from customers in 11 states apparently. The secret service in Memphis is investigating to see if federal laws were broken. Surely there were. I'm surprised the FBI hasn't gotten involved yet...or maybe they have and it just hasn't been reported in the press yet. But some agency should be coordinating the investigations in all those states A.S. did business...or rather, did the stealing. I can't believe the 4 owners haven't been arrested yet. I have do doubt they are running around hiding assets and cash from their crimes.

American ShingleMISINFORMATION

I feel the need to correct all the people PASSING MISINFORMATION!!! I, too, unfortunately was a customer of American Shingle. And yes, they are a very bad company!! And yes, alot of people are going to end up getting hurt by this. HOWEVER, the people responsible ARE THE PRESIDENT AND HIS ASSOCIATES...NOT THE POOR SALESPEOPLE IN CHARLOTTE (OR ANY OTHER CITY) WHO WERE NOT AWARE OF WHAT THIS COMPANY WOULD DO!!! You are very unfairly targetting HONEST people who, in my case anyway, have gone above and beyond what they had to do. Not only are you wrong about the RENAMING OF THE COMPANY TO SOUTHERN ARMOR, YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT MOST OF WHAT YOU SAID...EXCEPT THAT AMERICAN SHINGLE IS BAD!!!
My salesman has taken a job with Southern Armor, a very reputable company headquartered in Pelham, AL. Do you not expect these people to have a JOB?? Its not like they ran the company OR made BUSINESS DECISIONS..such as opening too many offices too fast. Not only has my salesman changed me over to Southern Armor, my roof has already been installed. (I chose to work with him instead of posting negative comments to every website available to man!!)
With a little research you could ve found out that the Pres of Amer Shingle resigned when, in fact, the company started to move in a direction he did not agree with. The current President, who was on local Fox news with a typical "no comment" is responsible for the current state of affairs at American Shingle; not the past president whom you are all berating! He may have helped with the business plan/practices of Southern Armor...but again, did you not expect him to EVER work again?? You people are not making any sense. Instead of complaining, why dont you try to work with your original sales person (not many of whom actually went with Southern Armor) and get a favorable result?

It is my understanding that Southern Armor only chose a handful of sales people from Charlotte - the cream of the crop. Give them a break!! As I stated above, THEY DID NOT CREATE THIS NIGHTMARE WE ARE ALL EXPERIENCING. BUT GIVEN TIME & PATIENCE, YOU TOO CAN HAVE A FAVORABLE RESULT!!!

Afkap Aug 20, 2010

I mostly agree with your assessment. A former officer of A.S. didn't like the direction the company was moving in so he left to start his own company, Southern Armor. Some A.S. employees also went to the new company, not just sales people but production people, the cream of the crop as you said. S.A. got the best employees which further hampered the ability of A.S. to complete quality roofs.

• My
    myers71 Aug 22, 2010

Wrong. The entity that became Southern Armor was formed in January 2010 by Andrew Moncrief, of American Shingle. The entity name was KCAA. In May 2010 Hank Smith (one of the principals of AS) joined KCAA and the name was changed to Southern Armor. A few points:

1. If the business that Moncrief formed was intended to be a roofing company, why the generic name?
    2. If Hank Smith didn't like the direction that AS was going, why did he wait until May to leave? That coincided with the time to money dried up at AS. It seems to me he rode it until it was broke then he jumped ship to a previously organized scam company.
    3. If Hank is a standup guy and an innocent participant, then why doesn't he step up and give the details of what happened at AS? I'm sure therenare plenty of people in the media that would love the story and if spun correctly Hank and Southern Armor could come out looking like heroes.

The posters above are part of the scam. IGNORE.

nomorescamsplease Aug 23, 2010

"myersphotog" You got some good info :) thanks for putting the truth out there for all to read. Many of these people who post this crap i believe are the same people under different names. Mad cause someone knows about southern armor. That info is things they can't answer :) better get back to the drawing board to defend it.

nomorescamsplease Sep 07, 2010

I need someone who is reputable to let me know if southern armor is under investigation as of now. I have all my paper work complete and my brother will turn it to SS covering the alabama area to start the investigation, if not started yet. Please do not repsond if you have been defending this company or as your first comment. I need to make sure it has started or I will have it started this week. We see the lies coming from the company now, American shingle is our competitor. I got a strong enough case to have it started, If I do not hear from a reputable person on here, than I will assume no one knows and will proceed.

• Go
    gottobekiddingme Dec 21, 2010

How's Southern Armor working out in Charlotte now? OH, they pulled out and are not there anymore, are they? That's because they are the same people as American Shingle and the word got out! HANK SMITH is still friends with the same old crowd pulling the same old stunt, just under differnent names, like: Southern Armor, Alabama Roofing, Georgia Roofing, United Roofing Advocates, etc...

Afkap Feb 17, 2011

American ShingleFRAUD/BANKRUPTCY

AS OF LAST THURSDAY 8/12/10 I BECAME AWARE THAT THIS COMPANY WAS GONE AND HAD MY 5, 000.00.

YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR STATES ATTORNEY'S OFFICE TO WAGE A COMPLAINT, ALSO YOUR STATES DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE ALL UNDER FRAUD!!!

ANY NAMES OF REPRESENTATIVES, CELL NUMBER'S WILL BE APPRECIATED.

FEEL FREE TO CONTACT YOUR LOCAL NEWS MEDIA..THIS IS WIDE SPREAD FRAUD...AND I'M JUST GETTING STARTED

ZILDJIAN
TAKE NO PRISONERS

neverfooledbyinfomercials Aug 17, 2010

You are all a bunch of fools listening to snake oil salesmen knocking on your doors... I would NEVER allow a company that utilizes salesmen to solicit for roofing. Why not do the smart thing and look in your local yellow pages for REPUTABLE roofing companies that have been in your area for years and will be there down the road? Instead, you listen to some guy scare you as he spouts off about the terrible damage in your area and that he can ensure you get a FREE roof. Sounds too good to be true? Yep...look where you are now.

zildjian Aug 18, 2010

well la te dah to you neverfooled...I did do the smart thing at the frickn time, BBB said no problem here locally in March, Allstate said they have worked with them for years with a continued relationship up till recently and as far as local yahoo's, I felt a Nat'l company was the right thing ..at the time.

People like you always showing up after things have gone wrong sounding all self rightous and insulting ..know it all.
    Good for you, with that kind of cocky attitude you will get yours...lolol

In fact you probably are one of those roofing yahoo's

• Lp
    lpsunshine Sep 06, 2010

Zildjian - I have the same story!! Checked with BBB first, then Allstate ... I even had two neighbors that recommended them when their roofs were finished on my cul-de-sac. Little did any of us know that those two were the ONLY ones the company completed in the most of Charlotte. That's how they get going ...

Of course, now that they've filed Chapter 7 we're all out of the money they've stolen.

nomorescamsplease Sep 07, 2010

• Ha
    Handlin_School Nov 20, 2010

All homeowner's should ask themselves as simple set of questions: 1. Are these guys knocking door too door, 2.leaving door knob hangers, 3.using the same memorized scripted language at every home 4.asking homeowner's to sign contigency agreements before the adjuster even inspects the roof, 5. salesmen in vehicles with out of state plates, and out of area cellular phones and office phone numbers on the "contract agreement" the coack roach sales people try and get you too sign without even doing a proper inspection on your roof. Are they using one tooth -5th grade educated rednecks that tell homeowner's that they can see the damages from the ground and they have BOTH wind and hail damage before the adjuster even comes out? Are they using the same bull crap door to door sales schemes as "American Liars that steal money from honest tax payers and widows" -aka American Shingle-, and "Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina Association of stealing money from widow women". All they all are is a bunch of greedy, storm chasing, hail gypsy, on the couch in their momma's house one day, and then see a hail storm on the news and then-oh yeah we've been in business here 20 years! . They go and hire your idiot salesman that last with them all of a cup of coffee and go door to door with their little memorized scripts telling widow women and people that dont know any better that they have CATASTROPHIC wind and hail damage without even teaching the one tooth coack roaches what hail and wind damage looks like.

PEOPLE WAKE UP!!! Call someone that has been doing business in the town YOU LIVE IN for more than a year. Make sure they have references and call your insurance agents, or claims dept and come out and ask them about the company they claim to be representing. What a farce

nomorescamsplease Nov 20, 2010

Um, This company/thread is done. It is not a fraud to file BK, but filing a creditor's claim is a waste of time. Company had 10 million with only 300, 000 in bank. The lineup was listed by
    1-pay back the lenders/ shingle suppliers
    2- pay employees(never made it this far)
    3- Pay back the insurance checks that were stolen from customers. Well they could not finish paying number one so #2 an #3 are hopeless.

The FRAUD part is they knowingly collecting checks and not putting up roofs. How many roofs did they install the past 6-8 months before BK? how many checks did they collect? Sorry, but creditors claim would never work for repayment of the customer. This was/is not the normal BK. Pre-planned BK maybe.

Well for whatever resone the two posts were posted, good luck. The roof and money is gone, only hope for a sweep of the guilty parties involved.

zildjian Feb 17, 2011

Well...here we are almost a year later and we still manage to have some folk's that seem to get some satisfaction for basically calling us IDIOT's. To all those "better and smarter" than us we say UP YOURS!!!
    At the time we (the majority of the US) checked with the BBB, guess what...it had not caught up with AS yet...and guess what else...AS was local, they set up offices in every frickn damn state they could and quickly pulled a hit and run. They actually sent out clean cut local folk's, some we even knew their familes from their local business's in town..some from playing baseball...what a great plan AS had to rip honest people off. I went straight to my SC Atty Gen, ...and never heard another word..no returned phone calls..etc...
    Going with a Nationally known company appealed to us, it had a secure feeling to us..LOLOL..oh well..lesson learned. Anyway..regardless of all of our circumstances..some being young home owners, ..some elderly..some trustworthy..I guess what I'm saying is...it's a bit late to tell us how stupid we were. I guess the saying..if you can't say anything nice...shut your yap. How easy for you "know it all's" to crawl out of the woodwork and look like GENIUSES..and WHAT are you doing on this site. The only way you'd know about this site would be if you were a VICTIM of AS or Worked with AS. Heard Dunkle got caught..65, 000.00 bond which he paid...lolol..hell yeah...wonder how many roofs paid that bond.
    Well...Karma is a ###...just wish I had a front row seat when she comes around...lolol Here's to all you "smarter than a fifth grader"
    We salute you with one finger..get it?????

nomorescamsplease Feb 18, 2011

:) only 65, 000 bond? crazy. What's he max sentence he could face? Well hopefully it is a wake up call and they make examples out of them, seems there a select few that have yet to feel the backlash--- Still Got Hope though.

Another Sales Scam Mar 28, 2011

Yes, three of the four owners turned themselves in and posted bond. The bond amount for the other two was less than Dunko's. Unfortunately Hank Smith, the 4th owner, was not arrested but it is unclear if there was a warrant issued or not. He is now doing business as Southern Armor and Magic City Construction in AL and TN, and as Countrywide Shingle and Roof Masters Plus of Phoenix in Arizona. BEWARE of all of these companies and do not do business with them.

American Shingle — Scam

This is to let everyone know that American shingles is/was a scam. As i have heard they have closed down and...

American Shinglemadness

This company has indeed picked up homeowners checks without doing the work. They have not paid their sub contractors for the past two and a half months and are not paying their employees.They told all employees they were closes offices Weds. and to have their things gone that they have filed bankruptcy. This money is going in the pockets of someone, and the same companies with the same EXACT business model as American Shingle, are now popping up in the same areas, or have been established there for just a couple months. Just speculation, but I believe that's where the money is going. I am an ex employee of American Shingle and was not at the bottom of the company ladder, and these have been the rumors circulating. To confirm this even more the companies are trying to hire the ex American Shingle staff, (obviously the stupid ones), to transition straight into their companies.The roofing industry is getting a bad name because of this. All the ex employees are now trying to open the own roofing companies. More than 95% are not licensed or insured and have no clue how to roof a house.They were a sales and marketing company that sub contracted, these are sales people. CUSTOMERS BEWARE!!! If anyone has just sent their checks in or had them picked up, call your insurance agent IMMEDIATELY to put a stop payment on the check. Furthermore if a contractor cannot show their license and insurance and wants your check up front, run the other way and call a real contractor. There are plenty of reputable contractors that American Shingle owe out millions of dollars to, that would love to have some work.Hope this might put into perspective what is going on for some disgruntled customers. The checks American Shingle already has, cross your fingers and pray you get them back is all the advice I can give.

nomorescamsplease Aug 14, 2010

Well if you were not on the bottom of the american shingle ladder can you explain their new company WWW.SOUTHERNARMOR.COM for me. How many people got scammed-now they file b/k and open up under new name- answer that one Mr. not at bottom american shingle guy

• Pl
    please no lies Aug 19, 2010

Southern Armor HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AMERICAN SHINGLE ###S!!! Any one who was truly not at the bottom knows there was a big fall out and a buy out and people went their separate ways. At the time American Shingle was a strong company. Let me tell you ALL what happened and its really this simple. They grew to fast to markets they shouldn't have been, they spent way to much money fixing screw ups and most important and the main reason they went under is they got millions in a credit line jerked from them and that's what sent them in a nose dive 6 weeks ago. They went from profitable and running strong to out of business in 45 days. Plane and simple, very very unfortunate for a lot of people. But if you really worked for ASSI then you should know they installed thousands and thousands of roofs. The money from their accounts is very easy to track and c where it all went.. And its NOT to Southern Armor. Anyone with brains would realize that they wont be a loud to continue to do roofs if that was true. Timing is everything and its just bad timing and that's it. For every roof that didn't go on there is hundreds of people that got roofs and that are very happy. Everyone in America loves to feed off of this kind of misery and why? I feel sorry for them, bad things happen to good people and a lot of the employees that lost jobs are just that "GOOD PEOPLE".
    nomorescamsplease if we are counting on you to save the world we are all doomed. Had southern Armor been created 5 years ago no one would have said anything but since it formed in January everyone wants some where to push the blame but Southern Armor puts roofs in 7 to 14 days has never had a complaints with the BBB and does business the way it should be done. Their only fault is that they let some of the ex employees come to work for them. When Health South went down did you blame every company that those people went to work for also? I think not, its plan out ###ic if you ask me. I hope most are smart enough to check reputable places like the BBB and customer references from people that the company did business with and did work for. Use educated decisions based on info not a message board created by a ### with a agenda of ignorance.

nomorescamsplease Aug 19, 2010

Well let me tell you Mr. Ceo or who ever you seem to be- This is the shell company plain and simple- not plane like you type. PLAIN and SIMPLE. YES one of your dumb employees busted them up. Plus another one of your dumb employees tried to sign me up with this shell company. The contracts. MIRROR IMAGE OF AMERICAN SHINGLE. when i say mirror i mean mirror. You are mad cause someone is putting the truth out there. Trust me i know the game, how to swindle money- I GAURENTEE YOU SOUTHERN ARMOR WAS/IS FINACED BY AMERICAN SHINGLE. how did they pull it off, could have been as easy as paying a close friend extra big paychecks for the past 6 months than putting company in there name. WOW they got a BBB rating of B that says nothing. American shingle might of had an F but notice with them most were RESOLVED COMPLAINTS. As now i'm sure they will have 100, 000 unsolved complaints. Why get so mad if your an Americant Shingle ex-employee/ probably ceo that i'm talking about a company you have no dealings with? Why even post on something if you had no dealings with? I know the truth. YES THIS IS AMERICAN SHINGLE. Why don't you mention your shingle supplier- you know the one you give all your sales rep to show potential clients. Tell them how they cut you off many months ago behind the debt you owed them? Waiting- suprised i knew that? TRUST ME WHEN I SAY YOU BETTER THANK GOD YOU NEVER SCAMMED ME. This is me mad for those that you did scam. Me being so close to being scammed only to find out by people you scammed months prior. So my happiness comes from other peoples misery. YOU SAY "ITS JUST INSURANCE MONEY, ITS NOT LIKE WE WERE STEALING PEOPLES HARD EARNED PAYCHECKS" your pathetic thats plain and simple. Watch this new shell company expand with new offices just as AMERICANT SHINGLE. When i got wind of them there was only 1- now there is 2. How many will open by the end of the year Mr. CEO? Basically, what was built was a ponzi scheme, you tried to use new insurance money to pay off old claims. USE YOUR MIND WISELY PEOPLE BEFORE EVER TRUSTING SOUTHERN ARMOR. yes americant shingle did put up tons of roofs, But also took a bunch of roofs. How much did you even pay the sub-contractors to put the roof up? 30% of total check? You never even had a roofer work for you- All were sub-contractors that now haven't been paid- now they have the LEGAL right to place LIENS on the house they worked on even though the customer paid in full- sucks don't it. To pay for a job in full, Only to have a crappy sub-contractor to install the roof than turn around to place a lien on your house- The LEGAL LOOPHOLES NEED TO BE FIXED. That will never be right plain and simple.So now for the homeowner who might have a lien on their house, can't sell it or nothing untill that scandalous roofing company sorry sub-contractors lien is paid in full. Cause thats the law. Those LEGAL LOOPHOLES that need to be fixed.

Than you say no one from American shingle could ever do roofs again? They never did roofs, they were a sales team- plus thats a LIE right there. It's part of Bankruptcy protection for companies. Do you think i just woke up one morning and came up with the name SOUTHERN ARMOR is the new AMERICANT SHINGLE shell company- HELL NO i would never slander anyone or any company that wasn't true- Go ahead, talk to your lawyers about slander- you might be able to get some more money. I would love that day and would be able to expose your stinking SCAM to everyone. Hurry-go talk to your lawyer about my slanderous comments than let me know where the court meeting will be as i will be there. I SLANDERED SOUTHERN ARMOR AS A SCAM COMPANY WHICH IS THE SHELL COMPANY OF AMERICAN SHINGLE. let your legal team review that and let me know :)

American ShingleRoof

I've posted my complaint before, it doesn't show up under their complaint board, so I'm trying again. When you call to get in touch with them, American Shingle, you hear there moving to new location to better serve us and will reopen on Monday, 08/16/10. I believe that to be a lie. Contact homeowners. News going around is they have closed their doors and filing a 24 million bankruptcy . I know that if the customers this is happened to will file complaints with BBB out of Nashville, # [protected] . File with the Department of Insurance TN # [protected]. File with Attorney General of TN # [protected]. Send letters to your news channels, radio and newspapers. The more we the people who were wronged file complaints and speak out, the better chance we'll have in our government offices doing something and maybe get our money back to us where it belongs, so we can get our roofs. Which ever state you live in, contact and file with these offices in your state. To those people who were a part of what this company, American Shingle, has done to us, remember this, what comes around goes around and then there's God !!! Like I stated before just for the recorded, this is the story going around. Thanks American Shingle for the stress and headache, Karen Grammer

• Bl
    blkiron Aug 14, 2010

American Shingle is a piece of ### in Charlotte, NC; they went out of business Friday the 13 of August 2010; how would I know; I worked with them for 1 week long enough to find out that they are a group of crooks. The name of their new company is called Southern Armour; same thieves and the same liars. Do Not Do Business With Them!

• Ex
    ex sales team as of wed Aug 14, 2010

This is the same in Chattanooga. The sales team which is about 20 people are all trying to start their own things and have no license or insurance. I feel sorry for the whole roofing industry because these jokers are hiring the same people and have opened different companies. If anyone contacts you, I would ask for business licenses and insurances and not pay a penny until your materials are out there and your roof is put on. This will keep all the sales people from becoming overnight roofers and the customers having quality work done. American Shingle has filed for bankruptcy, and all of their 26 offices are moving at the same time- sorry for all the people that believe this. American Shingle is not a company and will probably never make restitution to it's customers, employees, or sub contractors.

Jasmine99 Aug 14, 2010

the oods of getting our down payment back keep getting slimmer each day.

• Li
    lifesurrendered Aug 16, 2010

I agree they have done we wrong, they broke into my house you use my stuff to put the roof on with and left the dumpster out in my yard for 3 wks. I had 2 flat tires from where they left roofing nails all over the yard. I was pissed but I found a company that was true to there word and picked up American Shigles mess and did a much better job and was in and out in less than a week. Roof Doctos of Alabama they did a fantastic job and left no roofing nails behind and they picked up what American Shigles left behind. I was truely impressed and will keep them in mind for my family and friend you need a roof and a fix from what American Shingles did!!!

• Ba
    BarbaraB50 Sep 17, 2010

I do not know what to do I gave American Shingle over $3, 000 to repair my roof and now they are out of bussiness. They will not answer any phone calls. And the email address that was on the letter they sent me is not valid. Iknow I've been ripped off but I don't Know what to do

American Shingle — gave the money and no roof after 5 months

Grady Miller, Jr a rep from A/S and a local boy in this area, came out in March 2010 got the Allstate...

American ShingleTook Money, No Work Done

This company may work with you and your insurance to get a roof replacement but how long are you willing to wait to get a new roof?

We signed the contract and everything sounded great. They met with my insurance and my roof was approved for replacement. The insurance person wrote me a check when he was at my house for the inspection. 2 days later the American Shingle guy was there to pick up the check and for us to pick out the new roof. That was on April 22, 2010.

We still have no roof and all the calls I make to the American Shingle "customer service" line are either disconnected or they have no information. My sales person is no longer employed by the company. They have moved my installation date 3 times now.

In the time I have been waiting the Better Business Bureau rating for American Shingle has gone from a C to a F.

I am afraid that we will never get our money back to replace our roof. I have asked for the money back but they want to charge me a 10% refund fee. That is not acceptable.

Stay away from this company. In our neighborhood 3 homes had roofs approved by insurance and none of the 3 of us have new roofs yet, almost 4 months later.

• Gr
    Graphicworx Aug 11, 2010

I agree, we had the same thing happen, and it seems the forged the mortgage companies rep signature on the insurance check that had the mortgage company as one of the payees on the check. I gave them the check on 7-20-10 and the check cleared the insurance companies bank on the 23rd...and the mortgage company has no record of them sending in or contacting them about the check.

• Lp
    lpsunshine Aug 16, 2010

We are in Charlotte, NC, and in our 5th month waiting right now. Received a letter today that said it will now be OCT! Well, they've already closed their Charlotte office, and the ATL office (as well as multiple other locations) now has a recording answering the phone, so I think they've finally shut down.

• Wa
    wakesurfer Aug 19, 2010

I spoke with All State who assured me American Shingle was a reputable company and that they had dealt with them many times. All State sent me a check and I foolishly gave it to American Shingle. I spoke with them 2 weeks ago and they assured me my date for the roof replacement was still on for August 30th but today I get a notice that they have shut their doors and that a refund is is to be given in the future. I do not think I will ever see a refund. I hope All State will do something about this scam instead of me having to hire an attorney and spend more $$. Yes I should have known better but didn't.

• Sh
    SheaBud Sep 08, 2010

I, too, spoke with Allstate who agreed that American Shingle was a reputable company. American Shingle came to my door but I did my own investigation with my own insurance ajduster with Allstate and they agreed that there was significant roof damage. I was issued a check that I was made to sign over to American Shingle before work could be done. Yes, this was foolish on my part. This was in April 2010. We were given an installation date that was moved 3 times...last being mid September. We asked for a refund 2 weeks prior to the shut down of the company. We sent certified letters to American Shingle that came back unsigned. We were also advised by Allstate and the North Carolina Board of Insurance to obtain a lawyer. The time and funds involved with this process will most likely exceed the funds from our insurance company. Allstate is not willing to assist because they did what they needed to do. The fight is between the consumers and American Shingle. Best advice...contact the Attorney General's office and get in on the civil claim.

American Shinglecrooks and liars

Johnny g is johnny giddens who is a manger for macon office american shingle...he is such a good liar and crook they made him a sales manger. his cell # is [protected] he lives at 155 Alton Rd
Macon, GA [protected]
home phone([protected]
funny how a sales mgr got good work from his crooked company

• Ko
    kodiak21 Aug 30, 2010

Thay got mt sistr that is on SS and is poor Here is the name of the guy that came to her house His name is Tim Hogan Phone # is 423-839_2143 He need to be rip apart he in with the rest of them I hope he get jeal time all of them no good S O Bs

American Shingle — Failure to make restituation for damages/ late or no payment of for furniced leads

Six months after the job was completed, they were 5 months repairing gutters. I have still not been...

American ShingleTOtal Scam

This company is a complete Scam and a snow job. They clain damage without even getting on the roof. There is a sucker born every second and that is what keeps a crooked company like american shingle in business. This company gives legitimate roofing companies a VERY BAD NAME!

• Co
    Cowboy78 Apr 17, 2010

it is not the sales persons job to determine if there is damage, it is the insurance adjusters job to determine that. the sales person is not trained in that respect. if the sales person got on the roof to look for hail damage, which you can only see from the roof, then he might be accused of fabricating damage. his job is just to assist the homeowner with filing for an inspection based on possible damage, then the insurance adjuster makes the determination, not American Shingle.

• Mi
    midwest roofer Apr 21, 2010

i agree with cowboy78

american shingle came out to my house to inform me of possible damage to my roof
    they were very clear that the roof may not have damage but that there was damage in the area
    we filed a claim and my roof was fine however i did have some issues i didn't know about on my roof
    that i was not aware of and if not for american shingle i would have alot of issue in the near future.

• ID10T Jun 09, 2010

midwest roofer and Cowboy78 seem to both be employees of American Shingle. How can you be a roofer and not be aware of issues on your own roof?

Ana S Aug 24, 2010

I American shingles I agree with everyone. That have a complaint. With this people they came to my house telling me with the storm that. We have on july 12. 2010 my roof was damaged and they will help. Me to get. A new roof we make the claim my insurance give me a check 5.000 they told. Me they. Will come to do the roof on aug 16. 2010 didn't show up I try to call them more them 30 times no one call me. Back and here I am no check and. No roof . Independence. Mo

American Shinglesales associate arrested

I WAS A NEW HIRE FOR AMERICAN SHINGLE AND WAS THROWN IN JAIL FOR SOLICITING WITHOUT A PERMIT .AMERICAN SHINGLE ATTORNEY STATED NO PROBLEM WE WILL HANDLE IT SINCE I WAS UNDER THEIR PERVIEW.NO SHOW FROM ATTORNEY ON FIRST APPEARANCE NOW I HAVE TO GO TO TRIAL A TRIAL I SAY I WILL SEEK AN ATTORNEY AND TAKE THESE PEOPLE TO COURT MYSELF NOW FOR NOT HAVEING THE DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO EVEN BE IN BUISNESS

• Ba
    Banks236 Mar 23, 2010

Let us know the outcome... I might have to get with you, cause I might have to file a suit myself against them

• Sc
    SC214 Apr 17, 2010

I completely disagree. To begin with Federal and State law protects you from being rated for claims that are considered an act of God. Please do more legitimate research before you trash someone.

• Sc
    SC214 Apr 17, 2010

you should have done a little more research - haha - I assume you are from the Macon/Warner Robbins area. Since Warner Robbins is a military base I am sure that they are strict. In any case you should know your local laws. Ignorance is no excuse!

• Mi
    midwest roofer Apr 21, 2010

sounds like to me someone just stepped somewhere they should not have
    why would you blame a company for something you did
    i have checked out American shingle and they have every legal right to do business

• Mb
    MBG2010 May 21, 2010

Be careful is all I can say. They are now in SC and are being pursued as of today for more than just practicing business without the correct documentation. Seems like the employees and customers are being scammed.

• ID10T Jun 09, 2010

What captured my interest is the plethora of anonymous people there are that so vehemently defend this company. They must have exemperlary service to induce such fierce loyalty. What is also interesting is these defenders of American Shingle ONLY defend American Shingle: They only comment on issues about American Shingle on this forum. What I suspect is somebody at their corporate office is taking the time and energy to counter complaints on the internet to keep their reputation unsullied.

• Tk
    TK Remodeling & Renovations Jul 23, 2010

I just want to know why there are 40 American Shingle signs in the neighborhoods that I'm working in, but theirs not one house that I have seen yet that has a new roof. The BBB rating explains it all. This company needs to get out of our hometown. I plan on challanging every single AS house, and knocking on every one of their doors, and asking the homeowner if they would like an honest contractor with a good rating on the BBB. They won't be in business for too much longer I can promise you that. They already have a bad name in the neighborhoods that I have worked.

manel Jul 29, 2010

I know that within the past 6 months in Charlotte, they've gone from B+ to F ...

American Shingle — Sales Methods

A salesman showed up at my door and said I had hail damage to my roof. They said they could get my homeowner...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices