Ragnarok CatterySells cats that die on you at age 3

I'm considering this post a case of "yellow journalism" against my cattery. I have not had anyone voice any complaint about their cat dying from HCM. I offer a 3 year warranty against any cat dying from a genetic cause, in writing. The most common case of HCM, is called familial HCM, which has a likely root cause from excessive inbreeding, which is not done at my cattery. Familial HCM results in cats that die generallly between 6-9 months of age. HCM is cats over a year of age is not normally considered genetic in nature, but due to some other health issues major health challenges created by trauma--like having major injuries from a fight with another cat or dog. There is no reference to a necropsy verifying cause of death either. I belong to the Better Business Bureau and have not had case filed against me by anyone in reference to a cat dying from HCM either. Ragnarok Cattery owner

• De
    dementedfurballs Sep 23, 2013

My oldest cat's paternal grandfather was a Ragnarok cat. My breeder neutered grandpa when over half of the kittens were born with or ultimately diagnosed with HCM. Grandpa died before he was five. My boy has mild HCM and is on many medications daily. But I cannot help but think that his dementia and general lack of intellectual ability are due to unoxygenated red blood cells from the HCM. I love him dearly, though.

• Ra
    ragdolldude Mar 20, 2013

3 year warranty says that a necropsy is required to validate cause of death. A replacement is what the warranty guarantees. A blood clot would not be covered by warranty, but HCM validated through a necropsy would, provided I received the necropsy report within the 3 year warranty period. I've been breeding since late 1977, and am aware of exactly 1 HCM diagnosis. This particular cat was diagnosed at 4 years of age. His owner stated he showed signs of shortness of breath when playing. Cardio testing indicated a mild case of HCM. He has 3 more annual tests, with no further increase HCM signs. The cardio vet declared his condition "static". This cat lived to be 10 1/2, receiving mild medication daily. Owner did not complain--I heard about this through another breeder in San Francisco. I contacted the owner and was in communication with their cardio vet. As of this date, 3-20-13, I've had exactly one reported case of HCM, the one I just noted.

• Ru
    run like a girl Oct 18, 2012

What can you do to resolve my cats death Dave? I do not want another cat from you .. I want you to know how awful it is to see something you love die on you!!! Can you imagine how much my poor lil kitty suffered before he died????? Does that bother you!!! How will you ever know how scared my baby was ... he had a blood clot and HCM ... there is nothing you can do to ever resolve this. My cat is dead and my heart breaks that my baby suffered !!! Nothing can ever take that pain away! Do you want to donate the money that I paid you for my cat to HCM research for other breeds? Cuz as you know there are tests for the Ragdoll breed that you failed to have done!

• Be
    Bengal mother Aug 11, 2012

OMG!, my beautiful Tiger LIlly has HCM to I am heart broken. She is ok now! but i do not know how long that she will live for. This is a dreadful disease.
    Heart broken