Ragalong Ragdolls/Briar Glen Farmsragdolls/sooke, b. c.

J

Ragalong ragdolls breeder warning!!!

I got a kitten from marilyn (Ragalong ragdolls), which I was in complete and utter love with. I had asked to see photos of her mom and dad (Numerous times) as they were not updated on her website. Marilyn kept giving excuses and only ever provided one of her dad (Which took a while) I still don't have one of her mom. Just before my kitten turned 6 months of age she died a very very sudden and tragic death from a heart attack. We tried to help her and were on our way to emergency but she passed away in the car as her heart was just not strong enough. I told marilyn what had happened, she said this never happens, that all her adult cats are very healthy and get checked routinely/get ultrasounds to ensure they don't have any defects. I was never provided with these records nor the names of the vet hospitals she takes them to. She said shes only ever lost one cat to a heart attack.

She said she would get me a replacement kitten asap. I waited for months and months. My kitten died mid oct 2016 and I finally called marilyn and asked her how much longer I would have to wait in january 2017 as I was seeing her posts on her page of people thanking her for their kittens.
My friend who also ordered a kitten from her after mine died was offered a kitten before me. She said I was at the bottom of the list. My husband called and she finally offered us one. I absolutely adore our new kitten (We also don't have a photo of his mom either) but I found out that he has a grade 2 heart murmur. Something she should have disclosed to me as she had him neutered and vets normally do a quick check/listen of the heart before putting an animal under general anesthetic. Now I worry everyday that something could happen to him as well. Today I met a woman whos parents got two radgolls from marilyn and both kittens died before the age of 1. She did not go into detail as this was still obviously a very delicate subject.

Do not trust this breeder. I believe she's only init for the money and not for the love of the cats.

• Sn
    Snowwhite007 Jun 20, 2017

I have also had nothing but problems with kittens from marylin. Our first kitten died at 4 months old while on our way to the emergency vet. We didn't get an autopsy done but the vet suspected stomach cancer. I contacted marylin and she said they had never had this issue before. We also had to constantly ask for a new kitten for almost a year while we could see other kittens being advertised but not offered to us. Finally we got our new kitten who we were not allowed to pick but was just told this was the one we could have. I took him to the vet 2 days after pick up to be told he was malnourished and was close to needing to be kept at the vet on IV. We were able to get the kitten healthy again with help from the vet however he was the worst cat I have ever come across. He was vicious and would eat EVERYTHING and anything he could find. This resulted in a $3000 surgery when he was 6 months old to clean out his intestines. The vet warned us that our cat did not have normal cat tendencies, most likely from being imbread. We continued to have issues with the cat attacking us and our kids until he needed surgery again to clear his intestines. Unfortunately we had to surrender the cat at that point as it was only 6 months after the first surgery. I will never again deal with marylin. She has only brought heart break to my family. I hope your kitten is ok :(

JoC8 Jun 20, 2017

@Snowwhite007 I am so so sorry for your loss. 4 months is too young! I'm sure Marilyn doesn't spend any real time socializing them properly. I've been to her house and she wouldn't let us see where she keeps the cats she only brought us to a room and brought a few cats up, covered in baby powder, to us. Have you found yourselves another kitten to love?

My kitten is ok for now. I worry about him everyday. Especially as the summer starts and the hot weather comes and be open mouth breaths but I just take it day by day.

• Sh
    shanshady Aug 08, 2017

I am so sorry to read these reviews as almost the exact same thing has happened to me. I got a kitten from Marilyn (Ragalong Ragdolls, Briarglen Farms), a few years ago, and he was breathing rapidly at age 2 so the vet diagnosed him with congestive heart failure(due to HCM). He died of a massive blood clot a few months later. I contacted MArilyn and she said she was shocked and this never happens to her cattery. I got a replacement kitten a year later(it took forever and she would not give me the type of kitten I wanted). Now 2 weeks ago, my kitten who is 1, has been diagnosed with an enlarged heart and congestive heart failure which is from HCM almost certainly. Marilyn had promised me that my kittens parents were both tested for HCM, but this is only a heredity gene so this was untrue. For me to have 2 cats with the same condition shows that her cattery is running rampant with HCM and she is not testing the breeding cats at all. I am so sad for my cat and the death sentence he now has and for her breeding practices. SHe should not be allowed to breed animals in this way. HAs anyone tried to report her cattery, I am just curious to know as I am looking into this.

JoC8 Aug 08, 2017

@shanshady Hi, I'm currently dealing with Bad Cat Breeders on Facebook as I still haven't gotten a simple photo of my cats parents from her. My kitten (just over 10months) the replacement for the one that died still has his heart murmur as well and I will be getting him checked out again soon as he has just recently been very rapidly breathing - although it's also been extremely hot! But I always worry about him now considering his heart murmur.
    I would also contact Bad Cat Breeders on facebook as they have been a helping hand for me so far.

• Da
    Dale-Anne LaLiberte Jun 17, 2018

@shanshady Go to her site and count the girls and the boys. She has 75 cats. That is where people start to lose the reason they are in it to start with. I have 3 cats from them and am happy though the first one had a hernia from just below the ribs to the lower belly. Wide open, she didn't know because the cats are outside in a Catery I imagine. I got him home and when I noticed, I emailed and said I wanted to know what she would do for me. She said she had a male that she could replace him with. I told her I wanted to keep Merlin so we met at her vet and she got the surgery to get everything put back to where it was suppose to be. I left with him and my new sealpoint boy beautiful boy. They are now 4 years old and last year I bought a girl from her. She was going to show her because she is so pretty but there was a spot on her leg that shouldn't be there so got her spayed and sold her to me. I am satisfied. But count her cats. I noticed that not that long ago.

• Co
    Concernedandlearned Aug 13, 2017

I got two cats from Ragalong. One of the cats was actually the wrong kitten. I had several emails that said I wanted a seal point kitten, NOT a bi-colour because the older cat I was getting was a bi-colour. She met me at the ferries to pick up the cats and sign the contract. The seal kitten was a bi-colour. When I said he was supposed to be a seal point, not a bi-colour, she said "He is a seal point bi-colour". Because I had to get right back on the ferry, I didn't argue but did look back at my email records to confirm I was specific, which I was. The seal bi-colour kitten passed at three years old from a urinary tract infection, which I caught and treated right away. The vet said he had a very small urethra, which was causing his problem. My older cat I got, was supposed to be a breeder but she sold her because she was too small to breed. Well it turned out that she really had a heart murmur that wasn't disclosed. She is 15 years old now and is still okay but has suffered from chronic respiratory infection and conjunctivitis her whole life. I would not get another cat from this breeder.

JoC8 Aug 14, 2017

@Concernedandlearned I'm so sorry you went through this! What exactly happened to your 3 year old cat? Was a necropsy ever done? UTI's don't usually cause death even if they have a smaller urethra... maybe there was another underlying cause. Either way I'm so so sorry you had to go through this. And to be put in a position to be worried everyday for your other cats health - this I can fully understand as I'm put in the same position with my 10.5month ragdoll from Marilyn. He has a heart murmur. I'm currently talking with the people from Bad Cat Breeders on Facebook and they have been so so amazing, understanding and sweet and above all very helpful.

• Lt
    ltc424 Oct 04, 2017

I would advise anyone who plans on getting a ragdoll from Ragalong/Briar Glen Farms to consider their options carefully. I got mine from this cattery and he lived to the age of 5 until his heart failed. It was absolutely heartbreaking as it came out of nowhere. I had my arms wrapped around him on the way to the vet as his life slipped away. I don't regret getting my cat as he has brought so much love and happiness in my life. However, if you have the option of starting your life with a new kitten, be very selective with who you're dealing with. My experience with this particular breeder, as well as the experiences of others, may very well be the exception. But it pains me to think that there are kittens, like mine, who are doomed from the start due to questionable breeding practices. These lovely creatures deserve better; you, as an owner, deserve better.

• Em
    Emilyblue Feb 27, 2018

I also got a kitten from Marylin 10 years ago. She neutered him at 9 weeks old before we got him. I just had him euthanized yesterday from kidney disease and he only weighed 12 pounds as an adult which I found odd. We discovered his kidney disease when he was 6 but could have had it for longer. Im saddened by these comments because I had no idea she was this bad until right now when I clicked on this page. I want another Rag doll but not from her now.

• Br
    Brooke Baird Jul 24, 2018

Something smells rotten in Denmark, and it's not the breeder. I just put my 14 and a half year old seal bi-colour from Ragalong to sleep after a good and healthy life, but guess what? Ragdolls are one of the short-lived breeds. I never had any trouble with Marilyn and I HIGHLY doubt she has 75 cats! I went to her property and all the cats were well cared for and the cattery was clean.

I think these reviews are a smear campaign.

JoC8 Aug 01, 2018

@Brooke Baird Most certainly not a “smear campaign” Brooke Baird. As I have also been to her home and saw some lovely young adult cats. But she never showed me where the moms were kept, she brought the babies up to us covered in baby powder, she didn’t show me the conditions of the nesting area. She refused to let us go to where she kept the moms and babies. And my baby died 2 days before she turned 6 months old. My friend who got a ragdoll from Marilyn, her cat died of FIP at 10 months old. Other ragdoll owners that we are in contact with, who bought from Marilyn, have cancerous cysts by the eye, have gastro problems that have needed surgery. The list goes on. Yes, of course there will be cats that live a long and very healthy life. My friends aunt has 2 that are quite old and very healthy that came from Marilyn, however, there is something wrong with her breeding practice. There is no doubt about that.

• Ro
    Robin Duke Oct 04, 2018

@Brooke Baird Brooke, I think you need to read these messages very carefully. If you have a healthy cat from Marilyn, you are in the minority

• Lt
    ltc424 Nov 05, 2018

@Brooke Baird So your cat lived to a ripe old age of 14? Good for you! Some us were not afforded that blessing.

I've read the other reviews on this board and just like mine, they are coming from a place that's still hurting. I can't speak for anyone else, but I shared my experiences because I do not want anyone to go through what I went through.

It is downright insensitive and ignorant to dismiss other people's experiences and intentions as a "smear campaign, " just because they do not conform to your own.

• Pa
    Panslab Oct 27, 2019

@Brooke Baird I used to live there and she most certainly has that many cats

• Ro
    Robin Duke Oct 04, 2018

I have also had two cats from Marilyn., The first one died 2 weeks after his first birthday after being at the vet for 7 days. He had FIV, something that Marilyn had NEVER had in her kennel. She challenged me on the diagnosis because you can't properly diagnose until death with a necropsy and then it's too late.
    She, like may others of you, replaced my beautiful cat, with a cat that had never been out of her house, so no danger of disease. OMG, when she showed up at the vet clinic with my new 6 month old cat, he was the size that my one year old had been when he died. So, this cat I don't think, had ever been out of a room in her house. He was scared of anything that moved or made noise. The TV, the telephone, the hair dyer, car noise, being handled, and the list goes on and on. He has also skittish, and not loving the way a ragdoll should be. He had health problems after a year old with cysts in his urinary tract, but he died at 5 of stomach cancer. Again, something that she had NEVER seen. And guess what, she offered to replace him!!! How many FREE cats has this woman given away??
    I contacted TICA and wrote a scathing letter of complaint about her, and I never did hear back from them but about 4 months later I got an email from Marilyn threatened to sue me if I continued to slander her!!! At this point, I just felt that to continue to badmouth her was probably going to do more damage, so that's what I have done. This woman needs to be shut down, and the more letters of complaint to TICA and complaints to Erika Paul at the Victoria SPCA, the better.
    I might also add, that I too, never saw the parents, just generic photos, and I picked up my kitten at the then Shell gas station just outside of Victoria. I have never spoken to anyone who has had a cat from her that hasn't had either physical or behavioral issues.
    I patronized a vet clinic that used to do her spays for her, but when she kept bringing them in with heart murmers, and they refused to spay them, she stopped going to them. And if you wonder about the neuters. She does her own!!!
    So beware people. This has been going on for years. My last cat dies 4 years ago.

JoC8 Oct 04, 2018

@Robin Duke Omg! Please email me at [protected]@gmail.com
    My 2 year old “the replacement” is having really bad UTI issues that are not getting better!
    How do you know she does her own neuters?? This is VERY concerning for me and my little guy!

• Pa
    Panslab Oct 27, 2019

@Robin Duke I used to live on the property and watch it while she was away. I was horrified with the condition of the cats and how many there were. It was horrible. I’m so sorry for all of you. I remember she would just throw away dead kittens

• Dr
    drob357 Nov 05, 2018

I purchased my Ragdoll boy from Marilyn. Within days he was diagnosed with a UTI, The vet said that the surgical site was not what he expected. Also the vet said that 8 weeks is too young to be neutered as it can lead to health issues later in life. Within one year my poor boy was diagnosed with asthma and a heart murmur. I called Marilyn and she told me that her cats have no history of heart disease and that this has never happened with any of her litters.

Sadly my boy passed away last week from complications from the heart murmur, i.e. a massive blood clot, edema in the lungs and sudden onset of acute blindness! It happened at 6 am and he was in excruciating pain. I drove 40 minutes to the closest veterinary hospital. I am heart broken.

JoC8 Nov 05, 2018

@drob357 I am so incredibly sorry for your loss! Please please email TICA and contact the Victoria SPCA. They need to shut her down!

• Dr
    drob357 Nov 05, 2018

Thank you for your kind condolences. It has a devastating emotional and physical toll on a pet owner. We consider our pets our loved ones. I am traumatized by what I went through seeing my beloved boy struggling for his life and howling in excruciating pain. Hopefully by reporting these incidents, Ragdolls and their owners won't have to endure what we went through.

• Bl
    Blondeminx77 Jan 19, 2019

Hello everyone,

To be honest I have had two cats from two different parents and the cats I have had been nothing but healthy and no real issues other than my 4 year old one has a smaller nose passage so she breathes deeper. Marilyn was great with us and showed us one of the parents as well as provided documentation. My mother also has two other cats from her with no issues. I’m sorry for your loss and what happened but I’ve heard way more good things and seen many people locally with cats that are healthy then not.

JoC8 Jun 19, 2020

@Blondeminx77 Let me guess, the parent she showed you was the male? I asked her for over a year, constantly emailing to see photos of my cats moms. She couldn’t provide a single photo. Sketchy. My one cat died before 6 months of age from a heart attack and she likely had FIP as her health was quite poor and the “replacement” was given to me with a heart murmur that she did not disclose in any email (or otherwise) conversations we had. There will always be a couple of sick kitties when breeding over the years but this many? It certainly raises concern. A lot of concern.

Maureen Hann Apr 07, 2019

I too got a problem cat from Briar Glen. Like one of the previous posters my cat was super aggressive (would attack my kids when they were just sitting down playing nowhere near the cat) and attacked my mother in the night when she was sleeping to the point that she had blood pouring from her arm. I eventually had to start shutting him in a room if my kids had friends over because he would stalk them and attack them. Ours also ate EVERYTHING. Lampshades, blinds, toys, fabric - you name it this cat ate it. He was well fed so it wasn't from hunger. After 3 surgeries to remove foreign bodies from his stomach from the stuff he ate he finally got sick with something he was supposedly vaccinated against (she does her own vaccines) which the vet found odd as he was an indoor cat. He spent 11 days in the ICU and finally was put down. He only lived 18 months total. When I contacted her she offered to replace but never followed through and just denied that there was any problem with him. She said that we must have caused him to eat stuff from being a 'stressful' family. I later got a ragdoll from a different breeder and he has been fantastic!

• Ka
    KariLynn75 Aug 07, 2019

I am shocked by these comments and so sad for all of you. Our Behn (Mr. Behn Whiskers in Ragalong Gallery) is from Ragalong and he turned 14 in February. No health issues and he has been an amazing addition to our family. He is everything you read a ragdoll should be. We are considering another and I just googled her kennel and found these alarming comments. Has me worried of course but our experience has been all good. This is Behn this morning being his typical floppy self. We love him so much and even at 14 he is still healthy, cuddly, playful and of course adorable.

• Bs
    B.sulli Jan 07, 2020

In 2005, I to got 2 kittens from Marilyn, within 6 months my male died of FIP, I did have an autopsy done which concluded cause of death FIP. Marilyn swore she never had that issue in her cattery. She claimed to have reviewed the autopsy with her vet and claimed the autopsy had to be wrong, I did make sure I had an unbias autopsy performed.
    I did receive a replacement kitten, appeared to be the runt of the litter. Marilyn charged me an additional 75.00 USD, said it was for the neutering, additional fee was not part of the contract... within a month we almost lost him, he had a parisite attach to his intestine 1, 500.00 USD surgery and I still have him today.
    My female was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, and kidney failure, she just passed away December 30, 2019 my heart is broken!
    Prior to these 2 kittens, I had a ragdoll purchased from a different breeder which was soft and cuddly, loved to be held, thus the reason for wanting another ragdoll. Neither one of the cats I got from Marilyn, allowed us to hold them. VERY CLEAR they had not been held or (imprinted) as describe on their website. I loved my babies as children, they are part of my life - however, not as described on the website.

JoC8 Jun 19, 2020

@B.sulli Please please take this to the Victoria BCSPCA and let them know what happened. They need to look into this breeder ASAP!

Sabrina766 Jan 12, 2020

Hi
    I am disappointed to see such negative reviews as I have owned 4 of Marilyn's cats and all have been extremely healthy as well as my mother in law who owns 2 of Marilyn's cats and my daughter who has another kitten from her.When we picked up each kitten, we knew from advanced research that Ragalong is a closed cattery and we couldn't go into the cattery as we could carry disease to her cats from outside sources.Its a biosecurity protocol and any decent farm or buisness adheres to this protocol. I wanted to see the parents but understood once I researched this.
    Marilyn has been a great whenever we went to pick up a new family member and was always very informative.When we were there the last time, she had a woman and man from China (repeat customer)picking up a kitten who was to be show cat. They seemed to be quite happy with their new kitten as well as their older cat who was apparently a grand champion.
    I understand there can be health issues in all animal's but I was shown the kittens parents test results for many of these genetic diseases you are all claiming to have.They were all tested as negative so I find many of these complaints a bit odd.Just my 2 cents.

• Bs
    B.sulli Jan 19, 2020

@Sabrina766 As odd as it may sound it happened, I have the paperwork to backup my heart break. Take it or leave it, a friend of mine bought 2 ragdolls from Marilyn, her kittens didn't want to be held either. I have no reason to post information that is not true. Hopefully the next person does their research, and they are able to hold the kittens longer than 20 minutes, as the ferry pulls away from the dock.

• Th
    ThePibber Jun 19, 2020

About 5 years ago I purchased a radgoll kitten from a family in Calgary. He came with paperwork from Ragalong (parents Cloud 9 & Chocolate Chip). The family selling said he was too skiddish for their three children and two dogs. As a couple with no kids, we were sure our calm environment would be ideal. It took him over 6 months to not hide or freak out over any noise in the house, including having the tap running or the tv on. At age two, he developed urinary tract issues and would get crystals very often. One severe blockage resulted in a couple day stay at the vets. The vet also commented on his unusually small urethra. This issue came and went for the next year which accumulated a couple thousand dollars in vet bills. After fine tuning his diet and maintaining an expensive array of urinary health meal options, he has been ok since (albeit a supreme primadonna). We love him dearly and our experience with the urinary problems were horrific. Reading the stories above makes me worry about his longevity. I don't have much to contribute on the breeder themselves, however, it seems to me that severe health issues are clearly trending unfavourably for this cattery.

• Br
    Brody's Mom Aug 05, 2020

Reading your comments are freaking me out. I am getting a kitten from Marilyn at the end of August. I already have a 7 year old male (from Marilyn) who (so far) is in perfect health. He is not a lap cat but loves to be carried around and talked to. He loves to play fetch and plays like a kitten. He did come with a URI but that was fixed and I sprinkle Lysine on his food everyday which works great at keeping his immune system working well. I walk my baby boy outside and he is such a character. He has never been a cozy kitten, but the older he gets, the more love he wants. He's a sweet boy.
    When I get my baby girl from Marilyn, I will (as always) take the kitten to the vet for a full check up. This time however, I will include an ultrasound of all her body parts.
    Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted. I am so very sorry to all of you who have lost a kitty child. I lost my baby girl (not from Marilyn) on April 15 due to a heart attack and understand how devastating the loss is.