Popular ClubTerrible experience

L

I have been a club 'secretary' for popular club for many yrs. Service and variety in the last few years has been less and less. Most recently, I tried to redeem my 'reward credits' (what I've earned selling their merchandise). I called the company after roughly 2 weeks of trying to access the website, to which, I continually got a page that just says, 'temporarily not available'.

I spoke to a service rep to whom I explained that I wanted to redeem reward credit. She responded by saying she couldn't take my order at that time. I asked about the web page and was told, they were getting their new spring catalogs ready and when the catalogs were ready, the website would be back online. I then asked why there were no sale catalogs, to which she got very rude, and told me that they don't do that. Having been a secretary for over 25 yrs on and off, I knew this to be false. I told her that and she got very irate with me. Finally I asked if she could at least give me an idea of when catalogs would come out and the website would again be online. Her reply to this was 'I don't know if it'll be in a couple of days, a couple of weeks or 6 weeks, I have no idea'

I have checked a few times a week every week since then and they are still offline. I worked hard for that money and it looks like now, that I'll never see it. I'm very upset with the company and have filed a formal complaint with the BBB. I would suggest to anyone to not do any business with them.

• Al
    Alberta b. Jun 17, 2016

I've been a secretory of the popular clup for almost 16 years, and for the past 4-5 years i never claimed my dividend, so i decided to claim it last year, but when i called the company, the phone didn't work, and I wasn't able to contact anoyone. I tried the website, but it said "Could not connect to the website", and i tried and tried, but it never showed up. My money i spent was wasted, and up to this day, i still havn't contacted them. I am very upset, and I advise everyone not to do any business with them what-so-ever, because i worked so hard to get the dividends.

• Ju
    Juju11 Sep 22, 2011

Never heard of this company until I got a bill for $ 200.00. They even show a SS#, that isn't mine, nor issued in the state in which I was born. They even got my name wrong, although it could be a nickname that I was called as a child! Anybody know what this "club" is about?

Carol Goodman Aug 10, 2010

I've been a secretary for over 25 years of so. Popular owes me Secreary Rewards and Dividends me and some of my members never cashed in on. I never received anything in the mail about them going out of business. Rest assure if I had owed Popular any money they would have gotten in touch with me. How do i get what is owed to me from Popular. BMN909

• To
    Tonya111 Jul 19, 2010

Hi my name is Tonya have you heard anything on popular club cause they owe me money that i paid and they didn't refund. Please let me know. [email protected] Thank You

• To
    Tonya111 Jul 19, 2010

Hi they owe me money too. What do we do.

• Ir
    Irmgard Jun 27, 2010

Same thing here I have rewards and credits with Popular Club. If anyone can help with this please CONTACT ME at [email protected]

• Ir
    Irmgard Jun 27, 2010

Same thing here I have rewards and credit with them. if anyone can help me with this problem please CONTACT ME at [email protected]

• Am
    AMANDASTRONG03 May 29, 2010

How can this company get away with people's money! This is USA, this should not have happened. We worked for our money and there should be some sort of charges brought against them for stealing from us.

MRS TYLER May 06, 2010

THIS PLACE TURNED TO S...

MRS TYLER May 06, 2010

WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT POPULAR CLUB, FILE A CIVIL SUIT ALL OF US TOGETHER.

• So
    soares Apr 13, 2010

I have been a club secretary for many years... this company filed bankrupt and now what happens to all the money they owe me in dividends and rewards...hundreds of dollars and also all my customers who pays them ... what happens to their money?

• Lo
    lomax Jan 11, 2010

Secretaries for those of you that have just found out about popular club...they have definitely gone out of business but if you look back at some of these comments on this page someone posted information from the better business bureau. you may want to check there. I too was secretary and yes the reps were rude until I told them that they were nit getting anything from me or my members since they filed bankruptcy..haven't heard from them since and that was back in may of last year.

• La
    Laura515 Jan 10, 2010

Has any one gotten anywhere getting rewards or credits back from popular. I was secretary for 30yrs, I have customers still owed money.

Carol L Hunt Nov 22, 2009

My name is Carol Hunt, and I was also a Sectretary for many years for Popular. The owe me more than 800.00 in seller rewards, and I have 400.00+ in certificates. When I called them they were rude to me also. I also asked the Rep if they were going out of business and she told me they weren't. I guess she lied. I have heard that Fingerhut bought them but I can't verify that. Hopefully, someone will see how many people they have taken advantage of and cause whomever is responsible to make it right.

• Th
    threeboys Nov 16, 2009

I was a secretary for a few years and was wondering why it seemed I hadn't gotten a catalog in a while. I have a few people that had dividends to redeem and I was saving mine up. Is anyone looking into a class action lawsuit - or something?...

• Su
    Susan Beaudette Nov 13, 2009

I have been a Popular Club Secretary for years. I was able to earn so much and do so much for my family with my Secretary Reward Credits. Within in the past few years of the company being in business. I would never receive updates on changes. Specials that they were running, Complaints about orders not being shipped - but my members were paying on. The last 6 months of the company in business was the worst. Promised so much by Reps which never materialized. Lost several of my members. These members ALSO lost what they had in dividend certificates Bank, some people had well over $200.00 I myself had over $1300.00 in my Secretary Rewards bank, which was just GONE... no explanation, no letter, no reason as to why, or even them trying to make an attempt to pay each Secretary for what they had built up. This hurt so very much. Some many people still come up to me today 11/13/09 and ask when they are going to reopen Popular Club. I am so willing to give them another chance, I have old members who will do so to, but some type of reimbursement to not only me but to all the other Popular Club Secretaries would be nice... They all worked just as hard as I did if not more.. I definitely feel like I have been screwed over by the company. When it first happened I made call after call to the company always getting a different story, or catalog will be coming soon. That was almost 1 year ago, I am still waiting. Like I said I
    will to give them a 2nd chance, but no lies and no B.S. Stories...
    Susan F. Beaudette #NYY504

• Gy
    gypsie41955 Oct 31, 2009

i also have been a club secratary for 25 yrs...they did not let anybody know
    they was going bankrupt..I have over 500 in reward credits that i can't redeem and also over 200 in dividend...they owe my club members money and won't pay them...well i owe them 200 on a item that i DID receive..they called me and i told them if they want their money that they better get our rewards and dividends so we can use them...that was 5 months ago and i haven't heard from them since...i made them alot of money...i had orders for 2 and 3 thousand dollars a month..and i had a lot of members...i suppose it's going to be our loss their gain...

• Pu
    purplebear Oct 29, 2009

i am trying to turn in my rewards for merchanise they do not answer i worked as a sectery and rewards were payment now i cannot redeem them

• Ve
    VerNessa Austin Oct 19, 2009

I want to know why Popular club has not contacted me about their going out of business a card, or something. I have rewards and credit with them. My customers want thier rewards and credit also, I donot have the monies to pay these people in this ECONOMY if anyone can help me with this problem please CONTACT ME at [email protected]

VERNESSA AUSTIN

• Oc
    OCTAVIA MILLER Oct 09, 2009

I HAVE BEEN A SECREATARY FOR MANY YEARS AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CONTACT THEM AT ALL. WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM. WHAT DO WE DO FROM HERE.

MARISOL DIAZ Oct 01, 2009

I BEEN A POPULAR CLUB SECRETARY FOR MANY YEARS LIKE I LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE I LOST A LOT OF MONEY IN REWARDS AND A LOT OF MY MEMBERS LOST THE MONEY TOO. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT CAN I DO. THANKS

• Be
    Bernardo Restrepo Sep 14, 2009

I have been a Popular Club secretary for many years, I still have alot of money invested in credits received by Popular Club. I tried to contact them by phone and also tried their website however cannot reach at either one. If someone has any information about contacting Popular Club or what has happen to them, I would appreciate it you let me know.

• Pa
    Patti-Jo Cocho Sep 10, 2009

I to have rewards and dividens comeing to me but just get the runaround been waiting for a new cataloge for mounts. Any one out there know what to do?

• Sp
    Spliteeth Sep 02, 2009

I too have been a secretary for years. I am taking the suggestion and filing a complaint!

• Po
    Popular Club Aug 31, 2009

I was a club secreatary for many years, I have been calling Popular Club for the last three months. They told me they were setting up a new web page. Now to find out they are totally gone. What about my members points and also my reward points ?

• Do
    donnach Aug 29, 2009

should popular club be allowed to ignor their obligations to all the secretarys they got to sell their stuff for them, we would like some compensation and a apology for what they have done to us, I heard finger hut bought them, is this true?

joan swain Aug 17, 2009

I along with hundreds of other women were never notifief that Popular Club had filed for bankruptcy. How do we recoup the money they owe us after years of being a Popular Club secretary?

antoinette lamascolo Aug 06, 2009

I have been with popular club for over 20 years .I started having trouble with them about 2 years ago. They gave me the run around for so many things! I kept saying I was going to quit, but they still owed my customers rewards and money.Every time something was returned they me a hard time for months.When the last catolog came out they were selling things they couldn't even get! my customers would be paying for itemes they were never going to recieve. I called them soooo many times trying to straighten things out . All the time they would lie to me, or sit on the phone with nothing to say knowing all the time they would not be refunding anything! The last time I called I was frantic and even had to apologize because I dont normally talk to people that way. They put me on the phone with a manager, she lied just as much!They told me a new catolog would be coming out and everything would be taken care of then.Shouldnt I have been told the truth ? How do I look to all my customers ? if the shoe was on the other foot I would have to pay!

• Tp
    TPF Aug 04, 2009

Has anyone else been receiving collection notices for bogus amounts? When I try to call the number on the notice, I get no answer. Kind of the same when I use to call Poplular Club. The phone would just ring forever. Now nothing happens when I call the Popular Club number.

I never received the products they are trying to charge me for, but I do not need a negative entry on my credit file.

• Gl
    Gladys panuska Aug 03, 2009

wow, I just found out about Popular Club. I have been a secretary for over 15yrs. I also have invested allot of money and time. I would like to get all my reward money back. I'm very upset. Gladys Panuska

carousel Aug 03, 2009

I have been a secretary for over 15 years and can't believe they did this. I did think something funny was going on like the rest of you when we couldn't order anything. I have over $700 I am loosing, I am interested if anyone has any ideas let me know.
    [email protected]
    Donna

• Ti
    Tia O.J Jul 27, 2009

I also have been ording popular club for the las 15 yrs and have been a sales rep for 2 1/2 yrs and I also received problems with them in the last 1 1/2 yrs to include wrong products, shipments taking forever to come months & months for small items. However I do beleive I read some where that Popular Club was going out of business and that Fingerhut was buying them out. I notice now that people are catching on to the website issues they have remove the address from the internet. Hmmm I tell you I have the computer bank funds and about $200-300 worth of reward money coupons. It is a shame, I love being able to buy products receive it, then pay it off later even though they were a little pricey for some of the products but you receive rewards back where you can purchase things later without using your own money exspecially when you have a big clientle that you make rewards off of their purchases... they will be missed dawn recession.
    TIA O.J from Charles county MD

mroback Jul 27, 2009

I too was a Popular Club Plan Secretary and even though I was not very active I still used the plan to furnish things for my apartment.
    I called twice within the past 6 months asking about the catalog and the party said "when they are ready they will be mailed out" I commented back because I was not a very active secretary I felt that I would go unnoticed and miss getting the new catalog. To date I have never received any catalog and just recently called the number in Totowa, NJ and get nothing. I too am left with dividens and rewards and no compensation. If they were in trouble why did they have to hide it they should have reached out to the secretaries and give us what was due us. The way they just vanished is totally unprofessional.

• Vi
    vivian222 Jul 24, 2009

we are all in the same boat. We all have dividends and credits and no one seems to care. Popular got away scott free with claiming chapter 11 bancruptcy. How convinient. If its money that we owed to them, they would call you none stop and send bad reports to your credit history... meanwhile, they OWE US MONEY and that does not matter to anyone. They never refunded me in a check for a order that was cancelled, they kept the money. Theives. Bad business.

• Cy
    Cynthia Capobianco Jul 24, 2009

I have tried myself to redeem my points as a secretary and they told me they were updating their catalog. I have been a club member for several years and want to know what and how to redeem these points.

• Sh
    SheepShop Jul 24, 2009

I can tell you that it is very easy to contact the Attorney General. Just write that office a letter explaining your problem with this company, give them as much information as you can as to how to contact them etc, or at least your last contact information, and they'll get in touch with them and get a response. Believe me. Also, be sure the let the Attorney General's office know that you've already contacted the Better Business Bureau.

• Mm
    M. Marra Jul 18, 2009

I also been a secretary since 1997 and am furious that all my rewards are most likely lost and also those of my members. The last time I spoke to someone back in February I was told new catalogs were coming out in April. How inconsiderate to treat the people who worked hard for them in such deceitful ways. I am only sorry I didn't have any outstanding orders, I would have kept the money for myself to make up for the money I lost on rewards. M. Marra

• Ve
    VERONIA Jul 16, 2009

I think it is totally unfair what popular club did to their club secretaries leavinng us holding limbo, while they are still trying to collect all they can. Something should be dnoe about this here is some information I hope this can help.
    POPULAR CLUB DID FILED BANKRUPTCY ON AUGUST 27TH 2008
    HERE IS THE INFORMATION FROM THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU WEB SITE.

On August 27, 2008, the company filed for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the federal Bankruptcy Act, case number 06-17231-MBK. This permits the company to continue to operate with court supervision while developing a plan of reorganization. Those with monetary claims against the company are advised to obtain a Proof of Claim form by writing to New Jersey Bankruptcy Court CM/ECF, 402 East State Street, Trenton, NJ, 08608 for resubmission to that court. The case number should be entered on the form.

• Ju
    justme419 Jul 16, 2009

I also have been a secretary for years and would like to get my rewards and dividends that are owed. Many of the people who have these rewards due are asking questions that I can not answer. This is outragious.

Angry Secretary Jul 16, 2009

I'm very upset with popular club on the lack of consideration to all of us that have been hard working secretaries for them. One comment memtioned Maureen which I have dealt with her too in the past. I know they are only doing their jobs collecting but they should come on this website ...give a different name if you have to...but give us the secretaries some means of getting in touch with someone. It's not fair that we are losing our money when we have done so much for that company. I had ordered another portable dvd player which the 1st one didn't even last a year. I was paying on it even though I had not received it. Well after a few months I was told the order was cancelled and that I would receive my money back. Than when no check came I called and was told that the company was bought out and that I was no longer getting a check but I should feel lucky that atleast they will allow me to order something and use the credit. When I tried to order something I was told I could not because they were sold out and the new catalog was coming out in June. So I waited and than I got the message when calling that the number doesn't exist and the website was down. Somebody must know something we can do. And I agree we should all get together by phone, email, facebook, myspace whatever means and get a lawsuit going. Because personally I didn't owe them money but they owe me!