Popular ClubTerrible experience

L

I have been a club 'secretary' for popular club for many yrs. Service and variety in the last few years has been less and less. Most recently, I tried to redeem my 'reward credits' (what I've earned selling their merchandise). I called the company after roughly 2 weeks of trying to access the website, to which, I continually got a page that just says, 'temporarily not available'.

I spoke to a service rep to whom I explained that I wanted to redeem reward credit. She responded by saying she couldn't take my order at that time. I asked about the web page and was told, they were getting their new spring catalogs ready and when the catalogs were ready, the website would be back online. I then asked why there were no sale catalogs, to which she got very rude, and told me that they don't do that. Having been a secretary for over 25 yrs on and off, I knew this to be false. I told her that and she got very irate with me. Finally I asked if she could at least give me an idea of when catalogs would come out and the website would again be online. Her reply to this was 'I don't know if it'll be in a couple of days, a couple of weeks or 6 weeks, I have no idea'

I have checked a few times a week every week since then and they are still offline. I worked hard for that money and it looks like now, that I'll never see it. I'm very upset with the company and have filed a formal complaint with the BBB. I would suggest to anyone to not do any business with them.

• Ir
    iratepopularsec May 04, 2009

I too have been a secretary since 1979!! I cannot believe the unprofessionalism of the people manning the phones these days and have just chalked it up to a loss of my rewards. I have a feeling they are going down..I have been trying their website for about 3 months now, at one point i got a 404 web error as if they never existed...set off alarms for me.

• Un
    unhappywitheconomy May 04, 2009

I have been a secretary for over 20 years myself. I used be an office manager for one of their branches. honestly, I think they are going out of business. This is their way of easing out. Sad to say, but you will never see your money/rewards. It's too bad. I was able to furnish my house and many others in a great way. If they found someone to manage it properly, this would not be happening, as this is such an affordable way to shop. Their catalogs have gotten smaller and smaller, their website has been down for months, and their items are always on back order. Such a shame...

• Ca
    call it like it is May 07, 2009

I, too, was a club secretary for over 20 years and got fed up with the back orders, attitudes etc. I'm not saying that everyone I talked to wase rude, there were a couple of nice, helpfuls ones. However, the kicker was when it took 6 months to get a pair of sneakers. I couldn't and wouldn't treat my customers with bad service so I stopped taking orders. I have been trying to get my credits used but can't talk to a real person and phone calls are not being returned. No wonder the business is sinking...if you don't put the customer first there will be no more ybusiness.

Annette May 11, 2009

I too have been shafted by popular club. I've been a secretary for five years and always thought they were great up until this last order. I waited for it and it never came when i called i was told they would be sending out refunds. Now i can't even get them on the phone or web. Just left in the cold like the rest of you!!!

• Da
    DAD May 12, 2009

I have been a secretary for over 25 years and yesterday received a credit for my rewards which goes back more than eight months. I ordered a portable dvd player and kept calling for find out when it would arrive. When I was lucky enough to get to speak to someone I was told me that it was backordered and they didn't know when it would come in. Finally after more than three months I received the dvd player, which turned out to be a cheaper brand but I was being charged the higher price. I sent it back and called many times to find out when my credit was going to go back into my account to no avail. Now I find out the company is in trouble. We work hard for those reward credits and I hope we're going to be compensated for it.

• La
    laurie May 21, 2009

I also have been a club secretary for over 25 years and have been waiting and waiting for a new catalog (which I was told would be coming in early spring). I have reward credits too which I have been waiting to redeem as well as credit slips. They amount to a huge amount of money.

What can we do about this? Does anyone out there have any idea what's going on? Is there a better business bureau that could help us?

Laurie

diane May 26, 2009

I too have been a secretary for over 20 years, and pop club has
    been very unprofessional to me...I can't reach them on the
    phone or website and I too have credits to redeem...what can
    we do about this asap.

diane

• Ge
    Geri May 29, 2009

I have been a seretary since they began.the club I owe them a small amount
    of money, but they owe me more in rewards. I was called today to
    ask when i woud be paying. I asked about my rewards, I was told
    they were just hired to get the infomation about payments to
    which I replied Pop. owed me more than I owed them.I too am dissapointed
    in their policy, Tried for a long time trying to call them to no avail.
    Something should be done.

Geri

• Wi
    williams May 31, 2009

I recieved a call from them too and was asked about a payment and was told that they were only collecting money for popularclub. the rep i spoke to was moreen who she claimed she was hired by popular to collect money but that is a bunch of bull moreen works for popular and i have spoken to her on several occassions when they were in busines i even asked her a while back were they going out of business and was told no. so i called back on yesterday at the number that i recieved a call from and she (moreen) had the nerve to ask me how did i get their number. dahhhh. if some out thier has any other means of what is the next step is in redemming rewards and credits please let me know. they are quick to collect thier money buit can't give us our money or rewards/ credit that is due...very, very disappointed poor business practice...

Anita Jun 03, 2009

I've been a secretary for a numbers of years and my trouble started back in June of 2008 when trying to get an order straight. First they duplicated my order and when I called to have them cancel the duplicate order they canceled the whole order. At one time you use to get your money back, they told me I would get a credit slip and it took up to January of 2009 to get that. Phone calls after phone calls I was told all kinds of noncense. I received a letter in January informing me of the new company name, Popular Club Acqusition LLC. There were no longer brand names on the cite. I finally received my credit slip and used them quickly to be done with them. They need to be investigated. I'am so done with them.

• Da
    dab Jun 03, 2009

I have been trying to access their website too. The same page is showing. I haven't seen a catolog for months. What is going on?

• Am
    amanda Jun 05, 2009

We should all band together & slap them with a lawsuit. How could they treat us this way? My customers are furious. Popular Club would request their money from us, so why shouldnt we request what they owe us? If anyone has any info please let me know. Thanks

jamar86 Jun 08, 2009

As with all you all, I to have been a Club Sect for over twenty some years. I to have about 500.00 in rewards and about 166.00 in dividends saved. They told me back in March 09 that they would be back with a Spring Catalog this June. Today is June 9, 09 and the web sight is still down. Like the rest of us (sectararies) we all worked hard to bank our earnings to spend at a later time.
    What can we do? We can not let Popular Club off the hook. Wish I had printed what was on the screen the last time I was able to view my account. Judy M ( [protected]@aol.com)

DianaLynn Jun 08, 2009

I agree with all of you. I have called several numbers and all I am getting are weird phone responses. The new owner was supposed to make this new and improved. This seems worse to me. My credits and rewards are well over $1000, anyone have any idea for recourse?

• So
    SopranoSteve Jun 08, 2009

I have never been a secratary nor have I ever heard of this club before. I guess I'm just not that popular! LOL.

• Al
    Alice Williams Jun 09, 2009

Sorry to say to all of you, but yes the company is going out of business. They only a few people left...I would stop sending in any further money. I am a former employee and they shafted me big time. I was there for a very long time and walked away with nothing. They are walking away with all the money that you people are sending in and not honoring any of your rewards or member divs. I hope you all can seek some type of legal advise and try to get your money back. Good luck!

DianaLynn Jun 12, 2009

Did anyone else get the email from the BBB that they have filed bankruptcy?

jakma12 Jun 12, 2009

Hi -it is me again...what can we do to get back our earnings? There has got to be something we can do...I live in Florida and they are (were) based in New Jersey. What can be done?

• Wi
    williams Jun 12, 2009

this is the number that i recieved when they tried to contact me about aweek ago in reference to me sending in a payment but i did not respond so here is the number that i have when they answer she will say hello moreen speaking maybe you can gripe with her [protected]...because we need some answers about our earnings and rewards.

• Co
    Connecticut Jun 17, 2009

I also have been a secretaty for over 30 years! I also have unredeemed credits, and have been trying to access the website. I have never received any notification that they were going out of business! I am furious also!

• Wa
    WASRIPPEDOFF63 Jun 17, 2009

i have been a club secretary for several years. as of this month i was still sending payments for stuff they said was in back order. now there 800 number is disconnected, and they owe me hundreds of dollars in rewards and credits. this is horrible because i made alot of money for this company and this is how they treat you. as it looks they are still cashing checks, but it appears out of business. this is misleading and something should be done. even if you owe money to them, don't sent them anything. as a club secretary we should of all received a notice of closing. if we had a rewards and credits we should have been given our funds. if there is anything legal that someone knows about please share it to all .

• Gi
    GinaBayonne Jun 18, 2009

OMG, I am so glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I am so upset that I lost all of my reward money, not to mention all my customers that also had dividends in their accounts to use. How is it that they just cut off all ties with their secretaries and not even tell us what was going on? I also called customer service (before the phones were disconnected) and was told their website was done because they were adding the new catalog to the site. I do not blame the reps because I feel like they weren't told either. They probably came into work one day and was told, "Goodbye".

As for Fingerhut... they are a CREDIT card company based catalog! With Popular Club you knew exactly how much you were paying for something and how long it would take to pay it off (20 payments). With Fingerhut, each month interest is added to your balance just like a credit card... NO THANK YOU!!!

If they bought this company, they should honor the way Popular Club ran it and honor all the work the employees (secretaries) have done and the rewards that are due to us. I will also go on to the B.B.B. website to file a complaint.

• Gi
    GinaBayonne Jun 18, 2009

A message to you all: go to the B.B.B. website and file a complaint. Popular Club seems to be getting off easy but maybe Fingerhut should be responsible now since they bought the company.

Thank you all and Good Luck to us all!!!
    Gina

• Bi
    B in Maryland Jun 19, 2009

I agree, this is so unfair and we should not take this laying down! PC owes us big time and they should pay. If bankruptcy was filed, we should be notified as creditors of this fact. I think filing a complaint with the BBB is a good place to start but we need to find a way to be heard through the bankruptcy proceeding as well. All interested should take time to research how we can do this. Thanks

janet moctezuma Jun 22, 2009

soy una secretaria de popularclub digo era debido a que estoy bien desepcionada por como nos evaden por telefono y no es justo que perdamos nuestros reward y dividendos por una compania que no tiene la dedicadesa d recompensar tanto secretarias como compradores esto a traido muchos problemas con nuestros compradores y no es nuestra culpa como secretaria no es justo muy atentamente janet moctezuma

• Av
    avopop Jun 23, 2009

Here I am another shafted Popular Club Secretary. I too was wondering what is going on. There has to be something we can do!! They hound us when a member doesn't pay. If anyone knows what we can do please clue me in. Evidently we have all been fed the same story about the Spring/Summer Catalogs coming in June. Dah! They treat us like we are stupid. Spring/Summer catalogs come out in April. They are definitely up to something. We should be compensated!

• Ka
    kathy Muscarella Jun 24, 2009

I have been trying to contact popular club to redeem my reward credits that I earned. Phone is always busy and web site says it is temp. down.

• Go
    Goldqueen Jun 27, 2009

As many of you stated, I too have been a secretary for many, many years and PC has been going down hill ever since they took away the service centers which were so easy to make payments, pick up orders and make exchanges. I ordered a pot set that never came. Three months later when I finally reached someone, their suggestions was to cancel the order because now the pot set is not even listed in the system as if I made it up. I wrote a nasty letter stating that a secretary should be informed when an order is on back ordered or no longer available and we should not have to call to check and getting no responses.

I have one more payment to make on my last order, but I think I will wait until they contact me requesting it and then I will tell them to do a switch and take my last payment from my reward credits which I probably will never see.

MaddyB Jul 01, 2009

My mom also has been a club secretary for over 25 yrs and had over $800 in her rewards and a few orders that have been in "BACK ORDER" for 6 months now.
    for which the items have been paid in full. She just filed a complaint with the BBB, but pretty much it look like everyone here is ### out of luck. As on the BBB site under Unpursuable it states " 23 - Company has filed bankruptcy. " Good luck to us all!!

• Kb
    kbrown111 Jul 01, 2009

i have been with them as well for a very long time. one of my member owe them money, however, i am going to see if they would take it from the reward money they owe me and i can get the money from my member. Popular Club sucks and i will never ever do business with them again even they were up and running. This is not how you do business with the public.

MaddyB Jul 01, 2009

Does anyone have a valid phone number to contact them???
    I have tried the 3 numbers below and they are either disconnected or no one answers.

[protected]

If anyone has been able to contact them with a number other than the ones I provided above, please advise.

MaddyB Jul 02, 2009

Here is the response I received regarding my complain with the BBB.

Thank you for contacting BBB about your marketplace experience regarding this company. However, we are unable to pursue this case due to the fact that the company has filed for Bankruptcy.

For additional information, you may contact the Bankruptcy Court at [protected], [protected], or online at www.njb.uscourts.gov.

JoZ Jul 06, 2009

I have been a Popular Club Secretary for over 20 years. I agree with the Secretary who stated that we started having problems with out orders, etc, ever since they closed the redemption centers. I ordered a computer and waited and waited. Finally they told me that they were no longer dealing with that particular company, so the computer was no longer available. I asked about a new catalog offering a computer and was told they were working on it. A month later I ordered a George Foreman Grill and was told it was out of stock. I made a habit of going on the web site often, so when I did the website was shut down. I called and phones were disconnected. So I finally wrote them and asked what was going on and that my members wanted to order, and I wanted to used up my rewards ($2, 000.00). This was over a month ago, and still have not received a response. I will also go on BBB. If anyone wants to start a petition and needs signatures, please feel free to contact me [protected]@aol.com

• Ha
    hazesgal Jul 07, 2009

I have been a secretary for popular club for yrs, and never had as many problems and even complaints from my memebers as I have had in the last yr.. I have been ripped off by popular for memeber dividends and rewards. A memeber of mine was credited over a hundred dollars for merchantdise she payed into and never received I still have the credit slips.. I call nothing no web site .. they just seemed to vanish no responses.. I myself as a secretary of popular club was given junk a surround sound not worth the powder to blow it up.. sent it all back and they sent it back to me even in worse shape than I received it the first time it was nicked up scratched and she told me I am stuck with it... now I cannot get a hold of any one as there are payments still although it is not worth it... I could have went to target and got better for my money even without the so called low weekly payments... I am not sure if popular club will ever be in business again but if they are I am sure they lost a lot of good secretarys and cutomers due to their negligence and poor communication and carelessness!!

• Si
    silva Jul 09, 2009

I filed a complaint with the BBB because I got the same thing and was told that Popular Club has filed bankruptcy and BBB couldn't do anything because of this. So everyone is going to lose what ever credit slips or rewards they are owed.

• Ne
    Nelba Bonilla Jul 10, 2009

I was also a secretary for more than 10 years and everytime, I had problems with the orders and rewards. They were very punctual in charging one, but very irresponsible in paying my rewards. I have more than 6 weeks trying to contact them trying to redeem my rewards that were approximately $1, 000 !! Can any member inform me where I can issue a formal complaint against popular club ? my e-mail is [protected]@hotmail.com, thank you. N.B.

• Tl
    TlRiley Jul 12, 2009

Riley from Philadelphia writes - I am also a Club Secretary and have been unsuccessful in reaching anyone at the company. In June a lady named Maureen called my home saying she was collecting the balance of my club members money for Poplar Club. Maureen couldn't tell me anything else about what was happening with the company. I figured then that they were trying to collect all their outstanding monies before they filed bankruptcy. I also lost over $500.00 in Secretary awards, and my members are furious because they lost their dividends.
    I hope someone will be filing a class action suit against them so that we maybe able to gain some restitution.

• El
    Elfriede Jul 13, 2009

I have been a club secretary for them for 40 year's. I do tried to reach them. On there web site and Phone you can not reach them,

• Tp
    TPF Jul 13, 2009

I just received a collection letter from Popular Club for merchandise I never received. I called and was told I would be issued a credit, yet they continued to send me letters about a balance due. The letters stated if I did not pay my account would be frozen. That is hilarious, since they will not even answer their phones.

Now I am getting collection letters. I do not want to pay this bogus amount yet at the same time I do not want it to go on my credit report causing me further aggravation.

What to do, what to do.

mad secretary Jul 14, 2009

I too am a secretary for many many years. The last time I was able to get on-line with the company was in february. I had ordered a comforter set. It never arrived so I called the company and was told that the item was no longer available (even though it was a recent item in the catalog) and they would be adding my credits back to my account. That I would be receaving a notice of the cancellations. About a month goes by and I received a bill for the item and was told it would be going to the collection agency. So I called again and was told it was an error on their part and it had already been corrected and that my account was credited. Now I have tried several times to redeem my credits and get the same response as everyone else. Called and got the same response the new spring catalog will be coming out soon. Still nothing her summer is pushing fast to fall. I also am mad.