Penn State World CampusTransfer Credit scam

I made the major decision to transfer to this school under the pretense that 70 credits of my previous coursework was transferring to the school (though I'd had more credits than that completed) and that I would have approximately 50 credits to complete the degree. After I already withdrew from my previous university and began coursework at Penn State I was told that 45 (!!!) credits only transferred into my program and I would actually have to complete 25 more credits than I originally was mislead to believe transferred. They transferred to the school, yes, but surprise surprise, it was not clear that they did not fit into my degree. I then continued on anyway, not wanting to deal with transferring back to a previous school, wasting more time and effort and tried to continue on at Penn State. Well after my second semester, I was told I'd have to provide syllabi from 3 former schools for courses to apply for exceptions to accept these into my degree. This was for approximately 8 MORE courses that were said to transfer in. I have yet to hear if they are accepted courses but I am finishing up my third semester and still am not sure what courses are transferable or not. I have the equivalent now of near 120 semester credits under my belt, yet am so far required at least 3 more full time semesters at Penn State to obtain a Bachelors degree. I cannot believe I haven't seen other similar compaints but I have NEVER come across a situation like this and have attended 3 other institutions. I am extremely unmotivated now and feel like I was completely ripped off!!! I have wasted about a year of my time, working and taking classes as a single mother, and the extra money I've spent as well is disheartening. Hopefully I can transfer back to a former school but this was a real detour and waste of time and money. Complete bait and switch scam. Do NOT go here unless you have something in writing, though I think I did, just without important DETAILS, regarding transfer classes. I am sick to my stomach every time I think about it.

BMWTaxes Jul 03, 2017

Thank you for writing this. They did the exact same thing to me regarding my transfer credits after I had been enrolled for 8 months. This will be my last semester there and I will be taking further action against them.

• Ka
    Kat27527 May 21, 2014

I am hoping you see this post I am going through the same thing I am hoping I can find enough people to start a class action suite against them. My email [email protected] please contact me.

• Kn
    Knowyourenemy Oct 01, 2013

Penn State knows exactly what they are doing. Maximizing online enrollment to boost profit. Now they are just another big business enterprise sucking the life's blood from hard working adults who want to further their education. Anyone who says different is not familiar with them, currently being duped by them, or working for them performing reputation control. Penn State Disappointment's post is correct. However, a note to the author, just keep on trucking along and roll with the punches. Do not let the con men get the best of you. You started on the path to your education so make sure you finish and reach your goal. Only then can you wash your hands of these sneak thieves.

• Fl
    flare_ztx May 20, 2013

Penn State University's World Campus is definitely not some bait and switch scam. Your classes probably did not meet the requirements of the curriculum. For example, I know that they are very particular about transferring foreign language classes from community colleges. They usually count 2 semesters as 1. It's a tier one school so it's understandable.

BMWTaxes Jul 03, 2017

@flare_ztx I doubt this highly. They may have high standards, but this would be done before a student enrolled not after they have invested their time and money.

BMWTaxes Jul 03, 2017

@BMWTaxes Additionally, one of the courses that I had to"repeat" was an entry level type course. I have real world experience. I have surpassed freshman year coursework.

• N3
    n3rdyg1rl Jun 24, 2012

To be honest, this may not be a mistake on their part. It could easily be something that happened because of your previous universities. Just saying