Menu

Panera Bread review: terrible experience

Author of the complaint
7:26 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

A couple of month's ago my teen-age son was hired by Panera Bread. He was very excited and told me often how much he enjoyed the job. I read their handbook and they claimed they were a good place to work because of the respect they showed for their employees. Soon enough we found out that they have no respect for their employees.

Female employees were referred to as 'the ###' by one of the managers. Then, things got worse. My son was working in the sandwich line in front of customers. It was a hot day, and he asked the female worker next to him what was wrong with the manager. She told him (my son) that she didn't know what was wrong with him(the manager). She then told my son that the manager was probably upset because she had told the manager that he should suck my son's dick! This female employee thought that making that statement to the manager was funny. My son left the store stunned and later called one of the other managers to explain why he had left work.

Now, logically, you would think that the female employee would get in trouble for making such a remark at work and that the manager she said it to would have done something about the trash mouth female employee. No way! This same manager was the one that referred to the female employees as '###' and he did nothing about it. My son registered a complaint with management and Panera started their 'trash the victim' nonsense.

My son was immediately suspended from work (that's what happens when you file a complaint at Panera's) and he was told there would be an investigation. The manager who was supposed to run the investigation then took three sick days off. To make a long sickening, story short they ended up firing my son after a week and a half of asking for written and signed reports from him.

Instead of cleaning up their house, they decided to pick on a teen-age boy. Wow! I think they deserve a place in the corporate Hall of Shame. I have told all of my friends, relatives and acquaintances the story (there are many) and I personally will trash them every chance I get.

More Panera Bread complaints & reviews

Panera Bread - unsanitary/disgusting/unhealthy
Panera Bread - discrimination
Panera Bread - working experience
Panera Bread - managers
206 comments
E
Aug 11, 2022 6:39 am EDT

Hello on 08/03/22 we ordered a lunch for our office of 7 people. Once the order delivered and we dispersed all the food we were missing two mac n cheese bowls. We are now left with two people without a lunch.

Sep 27, 2021 10:00 pm EDT

The worst restaurant ever. They can’t keep it clean enough to stop ants and roaches. I believe they hire cleaning people who don’t do their job right. These people who they call bussers, I doubt they can be housekeepers.

It’s insulting that I can’t work at a job, but why would I work at a job where they asked me what my disability was?

I don’t know what to do. I feel gaslighted. When I deal with rude customers, I worry that I would get blamed. Now I understand that I owe no apologies. No customer needs to point at my food. Panera makes me angry. I spend less time there now.

Sep 27, 2021 9:41 pm EDT

Panera lets customers be rude to me. An olive complected man yelled loudly in an irritated way, “Thank you for holding the door open for me!” I apologized and he was still rude. I explained that I was hot and I didn’t have a car. He walked to his car with his daughter who was around eight. I should have told him to apologize for being rude to me. I would call it a hate crime. Anyways, my arms were full. I wonder if this man yells at light complected women often with his family around him. This is bigotry. Panera needs a sign on the door saying, “Don’t scream at other customers.”

Another complaint. A woman was getting ready to touch my food. I did kind of lose it because I was fearful of getting hepatitis. I thought she was disrespectful too. I wish that she knew that her name wasn’t my name. Maybe she has poor listening skills. I told her not to touch my food. Her finger was really close. I don’t know this woman. If she is dumb enough to not know her name, she’s dumb enough to not wash her hands after using the toilet. That is why I yelled, “Don’t touch my food!”

The customers are allowed to be mean to me, but I have to be nice to everyone. It has to do with gaslighting. I tried to get civil rights for myself and was denied. The civil rights people are agreeable with the disrespect that I get for my disability and I really mostly believe they can’t stand me for being pale. I am extra pale.

It is illegal to ask a person being interviewed the nature of their disability. Because I was ashamed of my disability, I didn’t get the job. But after reading about how Panera disrespected their employees, I am glad that I don’t work their.

The manager is rude. Sometimes I worry that I will be banned because a racist who can’t stand fair complected people will complain about me not holding the door open.

I don’t like the employees at all. I am angry because the loud man was so loud, I think that the cashier lied about the screaming customer.

I noticed that the crew is nicer to people who don’t look like me. If I worked there, I would be the fairest colored employee and my hair is kind of red. But they will never say or admit that it was wrong to ask about my disability . I bet they ask about race too.

N
Mar 07, 2020 6:31 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I placed an order online for delivery. Order number [protected]. I ordered a small chicken and rice soup and that was not included with my delivery. I would like a refund please. I ordered today, 2/28/2020 at 6:27 pm EST

Jan 08, 2020 3:33 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

There was no broccoli cheddar soup or potato soup available to order the wild rice soup was not good at all the pastry was stale- very disappointing
- 2 pm lunch
Store # 4631
Date of Service: 1/2/2020

Nov 09, 2019 3:12 pm EST

11/03/2019. Request a coupon. As per the picture, there was more broth and chicken or vegetables and I hadn't even taken a spoonful yet. Large bowl and small portion of soup.

L
Oct 21, 2019 4:13 pm EDT

I recently purchased a Panera Bread Black Iced tea in its plastic bottle. I did not see any mark on the plastic bottle indicating that the bottle is recyclable. Why aren't Panera Bread's bottled drinks in plastic bottles that are recyclable?

S
Oct 12, 2019 6:41 am EDT

I order Mediterranean Veggie Bowl for Togo and it had chicken pieces in it.
Also the order copy was not emailed to me.
The copy of my dine in order number is [protected].

Cafe Address

Dine In 21 New Boston Rd
Date: 10/04/2019 Sturbridge, MA 01566
[protected]
Time Ready: 08:00 PM

Shekhar Mandlik

Oct 07, 2019 8:59 pm EDT

Order# 407934 . 9.29.2019. Ordered togo steak & white cheddar sandwich. Almost no steak on s sandwich. The cuban panini had very little meat and was tasteless. Both sandwiches were like eating bread sandwiches. The frontega chicken was just ok. NOT WORTH the price. We will not be returning.

Sep 22, 2019 4:00 am EDT

I just received a delivery from Panera bread that I ordered. I ordered the Tortellini and received a container with less then half of an order. I feel like I already pay a lot but when you don't even receive a complete order it is very disappointing. This seems to happen quite often when ordering for a delivery.

Sep 04, 2019 3:27 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

There was a sharp piece of plastic in the sandwich that cut the inside of my mouth. This is unacceptable. Thank God I didnt swallow it.

Jun 29, 2019 8:31 am EDT

Bought my staff lunch today spent $40 I special ordered my sandwich and everything on it was wrong two out of the three soups were wrong and one out of the three sandwiches were wrong so then when I called the store to complain they told me basically that I was lying and everything was correct on the order cannot even believe this right now

Z
Jun 30, 2019 3:59 am EDT

To whom is may concern:

Purchased 4 breakfast sandwiches for my Family. Cafe Order 103940 in Glen Ellyn, IL. 3/4 sandwiches came without meat, when 2 bacons & 1 sausage were ordered. Love Panera, we are regulars, disappointed in service this time as we are traveling and on the go, only to not get what we wanted. Your attention is appreciated!

Jun 23, 2019 1:07 pm EDT

In regards to a Panera Bread compliant posted years ago: This board does not remove complaints, even when it has been requested multiple times. If you post to this site you do not have the right to request removal of the post even several years after the complaint has been made.

-M. Woods

K
Jun 15, 2019 8:03 pm EDT

My meal was packaged in what appears to be a dirty container. I can be reached at Kelsey.mclaurin@yahoo.com

L
May 12, 2019 11:04 pm EDT

Maybe it is the fact I have only eaten this in the restaurant but I got the lentil bowl to go and it didn't even go half way up the bowl. I know for sure there is way more because I love this bowl and how filling it is when I sit down to eat. Disappointed Panera Bread in Idaho Falls, Idaho

Apr 30, 2019 1:12 pm EDT

Always Very slow pay line at Naples F l Tarpon Bay Blvd & Immokalee Rd.
Too many tasks
Slow service
Line is long
Training issue possibly

Been a customer there for two years twice a week.

Mar 27, 2019 5:17 am EDT

I highly enjoy Panera's quality of food hence the reason I don't mind paying almost $20 for my lunch, but is super annoying when you only receive half of the portion you ordered, and unfortunately don't notice once your back to work. I have provided a photo of what I received as I was not to impressed and still hungry after spending $20 on food.

Feb 12, 2019 12:32 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I purchased Panera Bread Poppy Seed Dressing at a Wynn Dixie in Florida a couple of months ago and just used it. It is dreadful. Nothing like in the restaurant. Can I get any type of reimbursement even with a few dollars at your restaurant? HELP.. Number on the bottle is [protected]

Jan 05, 2019 10:47 am EST

When is black bean soup coming back? Then I'll visit more often.

Jan 05, 2019 8:54 am EST

My husband and I were trying to order our lunch at the drive through in Spring Hill TN. We are from Boston and when my husband started to order the boy and a girl in the background started laughing at us. I thought the south was supposed to be known for good manners? This happened on December 16 @ 1:30 pm. We will not be returning there!

Jan 05, 2019 10:01 pm EST

This is the fourth time we have issues with this location. We want corporate to review the location located by Walmart Bellway 8, Houston, Texas 77049. They don't serve the same quality as others Panera locations and we have talked to the manager about it but things don't improve. We brought people from other country and they were so disappointed.

Dec 12, 2018 3:19 am EST

I'm very concerned about the flies and gnats I see flying around the baked goods. Leads me to believe that the care they take for the rest of the food is also a danger to it's patrons. And why doesn't the salads look as fresh as the advertised version?

U
Dec 09, 2018 8:34 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Arrived at the Panera at 144/Delaware, Denver, CO at 10:32AM. They refused to provide breakfast - really?!? Two minutes! What does one then eat, a salad at 10:30 in the morning? Ridiculous- breakfast should run until at least 11AM, or, why not all day? We are very disappointed in Panera!

Nov 20, 2018 4:08 am EST

Very rude managment at 201 s.college st.

K
Nov 19, 2018 5:46 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I placed and order for rapid pickup and it was 2 soups and 1 sandwich. I got an email that the order will be ready at 8:20. When I got to Panera Bread my order was not ready and I waited and waited. I waited for about 45 minutes for a rapid pickup order. I find that unbelievable and I feel that the Panera Bread Workers need much more training.

V
Nov 15, 2018 2:20 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I ordered a half Ancient Grain, Arugula & Chicken Salad. It came with no lettuce and literally didn't look like a salad. I paid $7.39 and please see the photo for what I got.

G
Nov 14, 2018 1:06 am EST

I ordered a cup of Theo baked potato soup and I have a 2nd degree burn and a blister on my tongue. Eating and drinking has become very difficult. The pain is sometimes unbearable.

Nov 13, 2018 3:16 pm EST

Asked for just cheese on the steak and white cheddar panini and yet they gave us everything on it. My girlfriend isn't slightly allergic to red onions after a few nights her face became red and itchy, very disappointed in service, More than likely won't be going back.

Nov 12, 2018 12:46 pm EST

January 9, 2017

The bathroom has absolutely no toilet paper in the only two stalls. The garbage is over flowing! I mentioned to two different clerks and nothing was done after two hours. Gross!

Nov 12, 2018 4:30 pm EST

I came into Panera one morning for a coffee and a bagel. The bagel was extremely undercooked. When I asked the manager if I could have it a little more toasted, she rolled her eyes and gave me so much attitude. I could hear the way she talked/ cussed about other employees. I could hear her perfectly. I believe her name was Jen

A
Nov 12, 2018 8:18 am EST

This is regarding my visit today 20th Feb at Panera Bread, El Dorado. I ordered a bread bowl of creamy tomato soup and my experience was worst. I asked them bread for the side and it was so hard that even animals can chew it. One of my friend suggested me to visit this place but it was not at all worth. I wasted some 17$ for 3 bread bowls of soup.

B
Nov 11, 2018 3:51 pm EST

One of the workers, James, he is unreasonably loud and obnoxious and it ruins the atmosphere of this establishment.

Nov 11, 2018 9:19 am EST

I got this pastry and it was completely unedible I'm so disappointed considering I'm a loyal customer, I wasn't expecting this from a company I enjoyed buying food from

E
Nov 05, 2018 7:15 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

It seems you have changed the egg white formula to a watered down version that falls apart on your sandwich. When I order egg whites, I would like to get egg whites. Does that look appetizing to you.

A
Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I ordered a Candy Cookie from the Middletown, NJ store and it was missing a lot of candy. See attached picture.

I had utilized rapid pickup so didn't notice until I got home. What a rip-off! Would like my money refunded.

Panera Bread
Date 3/31/17
Middletown, NJ 07748 store location.

Nov 04, 2018 7:39 pm EST

Employee was very rude . Lack of customer service. Description/ African American male, glasses

Nov 05, 2018 5:52 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Worst lunch I have had at Panera.

Nov 04, 2018 8:03 pm EST

Took way too long to get food. Frozen turkey on sandwhich, sandwhich was a mess. Almost $5 for a smoothie is ridiculous. Smoothie was super watered down. Would rather spend an extra 20 minutes at the gym burning off the calories from tacobell than ever go here again.

Nov 04, 2018 4:26 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Stopped at your Perrysburg OH location for a breakfast sandwich, and discovered that you choose not to provide catsup packets to your customers. This was confirmed by the food prep staff...they too feel corporate is missing and opportunity to satisfy your customers.
You should listen.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

1415 complaints