Neoset CanadaFurniture never delivered

U

I bought a bed from Neoset Canada on April 2008, and I fully paid for it from the very first day using my credit card; they told me it was going to take 6-8 weeks to get it.
On June 2008 (after 8 weeks from the moment I bought it) nobody had contacted me, so I called the store, and they said there was a delay, they asked me to be patient, and that the bed was going to be delivered by the end of July/08.
At the end of July, same thing happened, so they gave me a small discount to keep me happy. On August/08, being concerned, I called the Head Office, and talked to the President, Mrs. Eleanor Reynolds, who apologized and explained to me that the order was delayed on its way to Toronto, but she gave me "her word" I was getting it on Sept.27/08, and that I was going to receive a new discount (which I never got).
Needless to say, by mid-September nobody had contacted me, I called Mrs. Reynolds back and she told me the bed was discontinued and that I was not going to get it the way I ordered it, so she gave me other bed options different to the one I wanted in the beginning; none of them were satisfying.
With no other choice, she offered a refund (less the small discount they gave me), and I accepted it, but when I asked her who was going to be responsible for those 5 months of interest I had been paying on my credit card, she refused to honour them. She refunded just what I paid on April, less the discount given on July.
It was not my mistake to be informed the bed I wanted had been discontinued after 5 months of buying it, and fully paid for it!
This is just lack of responsibility, lack of commitment, lack of respect and lack of seriousness from Mrs. Reynolds and Neoset Canada.

• Li
    Liz Oct 02, 2008

Neoset have never delivered the furniture I ordered in April. Thank God I got a refund for my deposit in August - I had to do all the calling - they are totally useless. I have been told they are going under - no-one should go near them.

• Je
    Jen Oct 06, 2008

I purchased product in March 2008, and I still have not recieved it. They won't return my calls or give me any answers. I suspect they are going out of business, so be careful people. I went to the store recently to try to get some answers, and they were still selling to people with a six week delivery. The salesperson admitted that it was fraud, because they are unable to deliver at this time. REPORT IT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BEREAU!! It is worth the effort to fill out the form online. Someone needs to make this company accountable for their actions.

• Wi
    Windsor Shopper Feb 05, 2009

I purchased a mirror in July 2008. I never got the mirror, and after much calling (because no one at head office answer the phone or email and the store people are usless) I finally got my refund approved in November 2008. Now in February 2009, I still haven't recieved the my money back. I filled a complaint with the better business bureau. I hope this gets resolved soon, but I doubt it.

Sarah Black Feb 21, 2009

That place is a joke. Attention employers, do not hire Eleanor Reynolds. She never returns a phone call or e-mail. Attention customers, go shop elsewhere. It is not worth the aggravation. I have been spending months trying to track my order.

Anna G Feb 23, 2009

this business is a rip off, they are taking peoples money under pretense, if you buy beware YOU WILL NEVER RECEIVE YOUR PRODUCTS they are going under

• Ca
    Cat Mar 02, 2009

I purchased a kids bedroom in September 2008 and now 6 months later I still haven't received it. Every time a call the store they tell me they will receive a new shipment "in the next two weeks". I called today to cancel my order but not sure if I will receive my money back.

• Ha
    half order Mar 04, 2009

I agree - they are brutal! I purchased a full bedroom set for my daughter in Feb 2008. In Aug 2008, I got the bed and the shelving, but no doors on the shelves, and no unit for under the bed. Its March, and I still don't have the rest of my furniture! I paid for half of the order, and I have half of the furniture. Luckily I didn't pay in full. I guess I am off to Ikea to find a dresser to fit under the bed, and my daughter is going to have to keep her shelves tidy b/c there are no doors on them! Can you believe it?!?!?
    DO NOT SHOP AT NEOSET!

• Ka
    Karl Mar 06, 2009

Neoset - STAY AWAY!

But if it's too late for that, understand that you don't actually need to chase Neoset for a refund. If you paid by credit card (I used a CIBC Visa but the same holds true for Mastercard and AMEX), as most people would for a purchase of this size, the credit card issuer will treat it as a disputed charge and will reimburse your card.

I have done this twice - once when UpCountry went under (for a while) with an item still undelivered and now with Neoset's failure to deliver. It's quite simple to do and sure beats chasing Eleanor Reynolds, the nonexistent customer service at HQ or repeatedly hearing "two more weeks" from the hapless (and largely blameless) sales staff.

The beauty of this is that the credit card company nets it against any receipts owed to Neoset for new sales. As we all know, once Neoset has made the sale and has your cash, they don't care less whether or when you get what you've paid for. Instead, they turn to selling more furniture to a new group of unfortunates. So the great thing is that if they do ignore you and you get the credit card company to reimburse them, it comes directly out of credit card receipts for new sales - thereby hiting them in their pocketbook and punishing them for ignoring you.

Norm Mar 07, 2009

Thanks Karl very much for the tip on disputing the bill with CIBC Visa. CIBC refunded my money.
    Neoset is a scam and as bad as a Ponzi scheme. They ask for high dollar value order deposits and then never deliver.
    They are just thieves.

Alex Mar 07, 2009

I've had the same problem with Neoset. I purchased a bed in early October and was quoted a 6-8 delivery time, but here I am nearly half a year later with still no furniture. I call them like every two weeks and am always told that they're getting a shipment in the next two weeks and I should get my furniture then. This is what they have been saying to me since December. Similarly to other people's experience, Eleanor Reynolds hasn't returned any of my phone calls. I think she should go back to school since clearly she has no idea what it means to be in "sales and marketing". I also e-mailed Greg Pappas, who I supposedly the owner of this scam operation, but again no response. I'm pretty frustrated with the sales staff too, because I'm sure the supervisor of the store in woodbridge (Zainab Ballo) who sold me the bed in October knew very well that there were furniture delivery problems but still told me 6-8 weeks for delivery.

I'm intrigued with this comment by Karl and Norm about getting the refund from Visa. Can I still get this refund even thought the purchase was made so many months ago and I didn't dispute the bill earlier?

• Ka
    Karl Mar 10, 2009

Yes Alex, you can still get a refund (I believe). The credit card companies offer you this protection against non-performance, fraud or a vendor going out of business. I actually found it easier the second time (with Neoset) than I did the first time with UpCountry. It wasn't that VISA was difficult in either instance but I did end up dealing with more people and faxing a written complaint the first time. The second time, it took 5 minutes or so on one phone call.

I suppose that we all pay a little more interest in consequence for this protection but that's not such a bad insurance scheme in my view.

• Ki
    Kings&Queens Mar 12, 2009

We're sorry to hear about the people who were left stranded with paid invoices and no furniture! Neoset makes most of its own furniture but sell also the Mobican line of bedroom furniture. If you are one of those customers who bought Mobican furniture from Neoset and was successful in getting a refund (it sounds as though a phone call to your credit card company will take care of that) and you still wish your furniture, Kings & Queens at 1101 Queen Street West (416-766-8891) will take care of your order and honour Neoset's prices (if you bring in a copy of your invoice) and will make sure you receive your order. Orders will be received within 8 weeks. Call Mobican yourself and they'll assure you Kings & Queens will take care of you properly.

• Ca
    Cat Mar 18, 2009

I tried to call my Mastercard to get a refund for my September 08 order but they told me the dispute needs to be done within three months, otherwise they won't be able to refund me. Did anybody get the refund from Mastercard when their purchase was more than three months old?

• Ne
    Neoset Ponzi Mar 30, 2009

Disgruntled Neoset victims, if you would like to form a class-action lawsuit or even a small claims court proceeding, contact

[email protected]

Rippedoff Apr 01, 2009

If you're owed money by Greg Pappas, here is his cell phone number: 416 817 5803. I am personally owed thousands and have filed a complaint with the BBB.

furious Apr 06, 2009

I am furious with Neoset. I ordered a sectional sofa in October 2008 and I still have not received it. Around December I started to get suspicious and made it a weely habit to go by the store and enquire. Each time I was given the same speech: in two weeks, do not worry, etc. Then in January I asked for a refund. That did not happen, although I was reassured that it would be reflected on my next credit card bill. Back to Neoset in person, fighting for my money. I no longer cared about the couch. Each time I went back to the store, there was a different excuse why the money could not be refunded at the time: the best was: "we have no internet connection today"... I called VISA but they said the dispute should have been resolved within 80 days of purchase. Yes, I understand, but who would have known that after the 80 days the couch would still not be delivered... so the 6-8 week delivery time quoted to us is to make sure that we are running out of time for any VISA disputes. Reading what many of you have written here, I feel less foolish and more hopeful about a VISA refund, which I am going to try again. The worse thing about this experience was to know that they took me for a complete idiot. I am glad I found this site... knowing your own experiences has truly helped. Wishing you all good luck and full refunds!

furious Apr 06, 2009

Sorry, just to clarify my previous comment. Today, it is April 6th, and the couch I ordered in October is still not here. That is why I am furious. No calls, no e-mails, no refund and no couch... no one ever returned my calls, my e-mails and the salesperson on Jarvis, Mia, was even rolling her eyes when I discussed my problems with her... they are all thieves and scammers. DO NOT EVER EVER BUY ANYTHING THERE!!! YOU WILL NEVER SEE YOUR PURCHASE!

ali Apr 07, 2009

Another victim here! Purchased furniture back in November 08 and never received anything, It looks like the stores are closed now. I went to the Mississauga location today. There is no note on the door - just closed. I then went to the head office - same situation. Closed!
    Anybody knows what is going on? Any way we can get our money back? I tried to dispute charges with Visa, but I'm passed the 75 days mark! Help!

• Dw
    dw8992 Apr 07, 2009

Unfortunately i am joining the list of scammed consumers posting on this site. Neoset got me too. Same lie about '6-8 weeks'. Ordered my stuff on january 3rd. Nothing but lies and obfuscation. Stay away from these ###. Looks like AMEX may return my $1000 as a good will gesture even though i was 4 days past the refund period. Don't bother trying to contact anyone from this company as they are all in on the scam. Met one of their importers yesterday at the head office and he is running the plates through a friend in the police department. Good luck to him. My lawyer is returning my call tomorrow and if i hear anything about the legalities or the plates i will post here again.

• Us
    user Apr 09, 2009

Bad news everybody!

I tried to contact Neoset Head office, using the phone number shown on their webpage and I got the message: "We're sorry, the number dialed is not in service"

I hope Eleanor Reynolds (and Neoset in general) doesn't get away with this huge scam she pulled off.

There are currently 28 complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau of Canada against Neoset, and 20 of them were closed because Neoset never responded (what a surprise!).

BEWARE: Also, avoid at all costs buying in a place called ABODE... it's the same Neoset with a different name (as shown on the BBB webpage)

There must be something that can be done to bring these scammers to justice, and to make them pay back the money they stole.

• Cu
    customer Apr 09, 2009

my money..$767.56 i paid for my furniture...watched global and greg pappas is the owner i went to the store on bloor today and itwas closed.. went to the headoffice closed too... called visa and yes thanks karl i got my refund.

ripped Apr 09, 2009

me too! called visa an d got refund. happy that i did .

• Er
    eroseman Apr 09, 2009

i wasnt so lucky but i think i iwill pursue with my Amex and claim for my charge with them. any ideas on how best to do this? maybe ellen roseman can help me??

• Su
    suko ozaka Apr 10, 2009

Purchased in August called the head office every week spoke with their scheduling dept - heather who told me next week every time I called. Now its April and I cant reach anybody.

not happy Apr 15, 2009

IMPORTANT!!! Does anybody know how to contact Eleanor Reynolds, or anybody else resposible in Neoset??

She promised to return my call last week, but now all phone numbers have been disconnected, all stores are closed, and they're nowhere to be found.

She seemed like a nice person, and gave me her word of honour (which now I believe is not even worth a really bad rusted penny) that I was going to get my $5, 000 in furniture I ordered back in January.

My condo is now empty, I'm sleeping on a mattress on the floor, I'm paying both of my credit cards for furniture I never received, and these people are allowed to go on the street without taking any responsibility for their actions!!!

Neoset Canada was nothing but a scam lead by Eleanor Reynolds; and God knows where she is now!!, probably on an island, going to a spa, using our money.

I hope they get her, and make her pay every penny she took from all of us!!!

• Dr
    Dre Apr 16, 2009

Neoset gave me showroom furniture and promised me new pieces when the shipment arrived from Greece. I am trying to get my money back; I will start a class action suit

• Ne
    neoset robbed me Apr 16, 2009

I bought my furniture on Feb 3rd and I was told 6-8 weeks..April 15th called the store voicemail full...went to the store it's CLOSED called head office number out of service..I paid cash full...I'm going to go throw up now...

• Tj
    T. Javaid Apr 16, 2009

Looks like I am screwed!!! I paid 320$ which is half of the amount for the order of my son's bed. Since I didn't want to pay the interest, here is the outcome. No one is claiming that they are bankcrupt so what's the next option? how can we sue them? are there stores empty?

ali Apr 16, 2009

The store in Mississauga is empty. They moved all furnitures on Tuesday. There are still some pieces at the Bloor West location. The store of course is closed and there is a note from the landlord on the window.

• Mr
    mr jj jones Apr 17, 2009

affected customers iwent to all of the stores yesterday they are all closed down some notices that landlord has locked them out i went to visit the head office yesterday met with greg pappas he confirmed the stores are closed down there are no staff working there at the warehouse it looks like its closing down but he was able to give me pieces for my order so atleast i didnt loose my deposit, here is his email cause all other emails dont work cause i have tried them all from stores and ones at their office they came back undelivered, same for head office extensions i tried eleanor reynolds 2 weeks ago and her extension was not working was not even available greg pappas confirmed she has not been working there for over a month here is his email [email protected]

Ripped off Apr 17, 2009

To Not Happy,

The same thing happened to me. If you paid by credit card, call your credit card company and dispute the charges. You will get your money back - but I think you have to do it within 6 months of the purchase.

Good luck

• Fr
    Freespirit Apr 19, 2009

Funnily I never met the Greg all the time I worked there, Eleanor was the one who acted like she was the owner, she's one of the best story-tellers I've ever met! I guess that once one begins to tell lies, it becomes second nature, and only when one's caught in the headlights, then the squirming begins.

majorlyscammed09 Apr 20, 2009

Another victim here. I ordered my wall unit in October 2008 from the Mississauga store. After a few visits and phonecalls throughout the past months, I am out $1000 for my deposit. The store is gone completely, and so are all the others as I can tell from this website. Will going emailing Greg Pappas get me my deposit back? Or am I better off contacting Visa to get my money back?

• El
    eleanor hater Apr 20, 2009

majorlyscammed09, go to visa right away!!, i am sure they're quite aware of the situation and you have a zero liability protection on what you bought

if greg pappas is as customer service oriented as eleanor reynolds... you're in deep sh*t, man

they will never get back to you or answer your e-mails... they never did when everything started about a year ago... and they will certainly won't do it right now

beware of their promises, they're just trying to buy time, and in the mean time use your money to pay old debts... what i don't understand is how where they allowed to operate like this, specially if the BBB knew about the situation since middle last year

majorlyscammed09 Apr 20, 2009

Thanks eleanor hater. I contacted Visa and they should be able to help. The ridiculous thing is that Neoset still hasn't filed for bankruptcy.

You're right, I don't understand how they were able to operate either. That's probably the worst part about this situation - people were being cheated from the get go since June 2008, there was no truth in anything the sales person told me during my transaction.

• Vl
    Vlad Apr 21, 2009

Another victim. I bought in April 2008. Nothing delivered, after many phone calls and promises nothing.
    Plus Visa can not help, TD Elite they said can resolve dispute only within 90 days.
    So what we are doing now, company is gone?

• Gr
    Gregory pappas Apr 21, 2009

My name is Greg Pappas and as President of the company I would request that you contact me directly so that we may try to find a resolution to each of your concerns. I can be reached by email at [email protected] We've been working closely with our past customers, staff and suppliers to try and find an amicable solution to their concerns.

• Du
    duped Apr 23, 2009

Amicable solutions! What exactly is the problem? And how the hell are we supposed to be amicable when we were never contacted by your company that our orders would not be delivered. I have been emailing you for days with no response, not even an amicable "set a time and date to discuss". I have been left hi and dry with no furniture and out of all my money!! This is a ### way to run a business Mr. Pappas. And your method of handling the "problem" which I still don't understand is legally corrupt. You had better get some people answering phones, and emails or your actions will be front page news.

• Dw
    dw4457 Apr 23, 2009

hey>>who doesn't agree wuth DUPED..pappas' ### email was no compensation for the repeated lies that he and his representatives told for months. only a low-life like these neoset ### would knowingly steal your money and them hide like the cowards they are. they know nothing of responsibility or decency. they are criminals. can anyone out there tell me one good reason that these ### shouldn't be charged and summarily prosecuted for their repulsive and contemptous actions?

furious Apr 23, 2009

hihihihhihiiiii! Very very funny GP!! Hilarious! Where the hell were you when we needed answers? Not to mention furniture we paid for? Not to mention when we begged not to be taken for a fool? When we called and left endless messages? When we wrote hundreds of e-mails? Not to mention when we asked and then later, demanded, our money back? Working very closely with us, my a**... more like hiding, hoping for the gig not to be up so soon, runing through trapdoors and secret passageways, ... GP, stick up your fake collaborative manners now... Where was the emotionally interactive opportunity you are providing now when we would have needed you? You knowingly scammed us... so don't piss on our shoes and tell us it is raining...
    DUPED and DE4457, my sentiments exactly!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices