National Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburgh, PAHarrassment by phone

A Review updated:

I keep getting phone calls from the National Union Fire Insurance Co. offering a policy that I've already said I'm not interested in. I asked them the first time they called not to call me again.

I've gotten ten more calls since then today, and it's only 3:30 EST!

If anyone can help me, please do. I've already called and spoken to a manager and they say it will take 30 days for them to take me off of their calling list, which is downright unreasonable.

Thanks for reading. *sigh*
Beth ([protected]@Hotmail.com)

More National Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburgh, PA Complaints & Reviews

ezybrezy Jan 16, 2019

PS as for solicitors and telemarketers, I have the perfect solution... unplug your house phone and call back all the people that are relevant in your life. This robo-calling is very annoying.

ezybrezy Jan 16, 2019

I noticed a debit charge from National Union Fire Ins. and called my bank immediately. I never heard of this insurance so they must have gotten my info fraudulently. I've checked my bank accounts daily because years ago, before I used online banking, Bank of America was extracting money for various fees from my account without my permission. They reimbursed the fees and now I check my accounts thoroughly every day. It's hard enough keeping up with life and its responsibilities but we have to also mire through the mud with these fraudulent characters at every corner.

• Ro
    Rob Handy Oct 05, 2015

I'm feeling rather stupid, due to this company and their very questionable business practices. I called to question a charge of $29.46 to my credit card, to be told that it was for an "accident insurance" policy that had been in effect for 45 months! Holy crap! I hate to think that neither my wife or I had noticed such a strange charge for nearly 4 years! That would indicate that these people have fleeced me to a tune of over $1300.00! I called the number that appeared on my statement and my call was answered by a reasonably professional-sounding csr. He promised to have a letter sent to me which will supposedly show my "signature", accepting this plan. Checking online, I find that I must have lots of company on this company's "casualty list"! I'd like to hear whether or not anyone has had any success in receiving any refunded premiums? Thanks!
    Robert

• Or
    orillo Jul 17, 2015

I for one is a victim of this insurance company for almost six years. I discovered that they have been stealing from my bank account since 2009. It was $24.95 monthly deduction that i have overlooked until last month. I immediately notified wells fargo to stop the deductions. Does anybody know how i could get refunded? i don't even have an policy in my hand. [email protected]

• Su
    Suedes Dec 04, 2014

Please be sure you report your experiences with National Union Fire Insurance to your local Attorney General. ESPECIALLY THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK YOU HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH THIS COMPANY AND RECEIVE A LETTER ASKING FOR PAYMENT ON A POLICY THAT HAS LAPSED. You may have been paying on a policy you were unaware of and may be able to get your money (that you didn't know you were sending them) back.

This is long, but please bear with me. It's worth it.

Like some of you above, I received a letter out of the blue telling me that my policy had expired and I needed to pay a premium now in order to keep it active. I had no idea who this company was and was certain that I had NEVER EVER done business with them. I tried to call and find out more about this supposed policy (the letter contained no mention about what type of policy it was, what was covered, etc. -- simply that I owed a premium on it). They were unwilling to share any information unless I confirmed quite a bit of personal information. Certainly more than I was willing to share with a company I had never done business with and who was sending me unsolicited letters asking for money for a supposed policy I had with them. So after getting nowhere with a CSR and a supervisor, I hung up.

My husband took the letter we received and sent a copy of it, along with a letter from us explaining why we thought it might be a scam to our local Attorney General. The AG kept us informed as they made at least two attempts to contact National Union. They then sent us a copy of a reply saying that AIG would look into the matter.

About two weeks later, I came home to an envelope from LOTSOLUTIONS that looked like a check. It was a check. A valid check for about $1500 made out to me and referencing National Union. I was bewildered. As far as I knew, I had never actually paid into this company or had any policy with them. So why were they sending me a check and for that kind of money? How could I not have known I'd paid them close to $1500? I called back in to National Union to try to find out more. This time, since I had an actual check in hand and a supervisor who was willing to trade enough of my personal information with me for me to know that they already had it all (and I was just confirming info they had not divulging information), I was able to "verify" my account and find out the back story.

Apparently, my mortgage company had "partnered" with National Union to offer supplemental accident insurance. Their story is that they called me in 2006 to offer me this policy over the phone and I agreed to a 2-month trial. (By the way, I absolutely did not and I still believe that part is a scam. I seriously had no idea this policy EXISTED until now. If i'd had an accident at my home, I would never have thought to file a claim because I didn't know I had a policy. And I'm not the kind of person who EVER agrees to phone solicitations like these.) Anyway, their story is that I took the trial and never cancelled. So they have been charging me $14.95 a month since 2006 DIRECTLY ON MY MORTGAGE STATEMENT. I pay my mortgage electronically and, except when there's a change in the escrow amount, never pay any attention to the actual statement. So I had never noticed this $14.95 charge. Earlier this year, I did refinance my mortgage, though, which effectively cancelled the host that this parasite had attached itself to. So suddenly, they weren't getting my $14.95 a month anymore. And they wanted it. So that triggered the letter I received (and I received two more after the first one).

The simple act of opening an investigation with my Attorney General led AIG and National Union to reimburse me for every single $14.95 payment I've made since 2006, no questions asked. And no explanations either. The check came without a letter, apologetic, explanatory, or otherwise. I'm guessing their hope is that you'll just cash it, thank your lucky stars, and move on. That you won't question their tactics or how they were able to attach themselves to your mortgage in the first place. Because they know that if you did start digging in, their fraudulent tactics would be exposed.

I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO RECEIVED AN OUT-OF-THE-BLUE LETTER FROM THIS INSURANCE COMPANY ASKING FOR PAYMENT ON A POLICY (THAT YOU DON'T RECOGNIZE) AWARE THAT YOU ARE PROBABLY ALREADY PAYING THIS COMPANY, AND MAY BE ABLE TO GET THE MONEY (THAT YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU WERE LOSING) BACK.

Please report the letter you receive to your local Attorney General and ask them to investigate. And please share this story widely.

And to the Customer Service Reps for National Union who have posted on here, please let me say that they're selling you a bill of goods if they tell you that every one of their customers knowingly entered into a contract (e.g., took a gas card or gift card in exchange for trying out the service, or had the chance to "opt out" of a service that was clearly communicated to them). While I can't verify that I never got a telemarketing solicitation or an "offer" in the mail, I can verify that I NEVER EVER took them up on a trial period and never knowingly didn't respond to something that I was clear required an answer, or were just too lazy to read their mail. I read the paperwork when I started my mortgage. And this policy didn't get added on until year 3, a point at which my mortgage payments were fully on autopilot. And the payee is listed in such a way that it is relatively ambiguous. It would take an eagle eye to notice it, recognize it for what it is, and know enough to call and cancel something that you didn't even know you had been offered. I guarantee you there are thousands of us out there paying for a policy that we can't even BENEFIT FROM because we don't even know we have it. And that's the company you work for. That's the truth.

• Pr
    Preston W. Leonard Nov 23, 2013

- Attorney Advertisement -
    We are investigating the National Union Fire Insurance Company (“NUFIC”) and American International Group, Inc. (“AIG“) for a potential class action lawsuit concerning (1) allegations of billing issues / automatic bank charges not agreed to by consumers (2) calls that may have been placed to cell phones without prior authorization. If you have any information that could be helpful, you are welcome to contact us. See http://wp.me/p1BWsw-1Tz

LEONARD LAW OFFICE, LLP
    www.theleonardlawoffice.com
    [email protected]
    [protected]

• Pi
    pissedoffinpa May 05, 2013

I am a huntington bank customer and just recieved these charges on my account. I did not authorize this, I did not get a gas card or sigh up for some kind of promotion. My bank is adamant that they did not give my account information to them, but admits they do advertize for them. I did fail to notice the 17.85 bill the first two times it appeared on my statement. I filed a dispute with my bank, and now have to wait till tomorrow to contact this bogus insurance agency to cancel as it is sunday. Does anyone have any class action information for this agency? My bank says they sent me information telling me i would be given a year free trial, and if i didnt respond, i was signed up. Then, a year later, i was sent another flyer with my statements telling me my account is going to be upgraded.. again, i did not respond, so they took it as consent, and here I am being billed. It seems to me with the number of complaints about this that i have seen we should be getting together and suing this agency AND our banks. Not reponding to a piece of junk mail they toss in with your statement is NOT authorization to sign me up and bill me. Ignoring an advertizment is not consent by silence, it is a refusal.

• Ru
    run from Nov 03, 2012

Regions bank hooked and crooked me up with this company. After years of premiums they do not pay out when you would expect.
    My recommendation stay away from National Union Fire Insurance Company and Regions Bank

• Un
    unsatisfied customer13 Aug 24, 2012

They are a HORRIBLE insurance copany. File a claim and you will see what Im saying. They first tell you that it will take 14 BUSINESS days to get the claim, then it gets processes. Then here comes the surprise. they wanted police report, copy of estimate for my car then they wanted final hospital bill and discharge paperwork. There reason was I was claiming for hospital stay from a auto accident. Once they get this there is ANOTHER 14 BUSINESS days to process claim. It took me over 4 months from date of filing to get paid. They have the automated machine to call you to tell you that your claims been approved and you think wow Im finally getting paid. Well the check is actually mailed out 11 to 14 more days later and you might get your check in 14 to 21 days. HORRIBLE company, slow as a turtle in paying claims.

• Co
    concerned daughter 2 Jun 30, 2012

My mother has been completely ripped off by this company! Do not do business with them! She is 77, functionally deaf, and has been taken advantage of..I’m at my wit’s end trying to work with National Union Fire Insurance Company my mother's behalf and am getting nowhere. The company has stolen $2, 540.40 over the past 9+ years from my mother; $3, 445.00 with interest. They did it after signing her up for insurance without her consent and auto-withdrawing the monthly premiums from her bank account. They refuse to assist me, and continue to lie to me. My next step is to take the company to court. I think a class action lawsuit, seems like thousands of people have been wronged by these people.
    When my mother retired completely, she started tracking her spending carefully. She noticed some incidental "Key Bank" line item charges ($5.95 and $15.95) on her bank statements which she thought were for overdraft protection or purchase insurance, but she wasn't sure. Because she can't hear over the phone she asked me to investigate these charges. I called Key Bank and was told that these charges were not Key Bank charges, even though they were listed that way on the statement. In fact, they were charges from NUFIS. I was very surprised. The Key Bank employee gave me the phone number for the company, and we contacted them. They told us my mother signed up for two insurance policies, these were the monthly premium charges. We requested a copy of the policies be mailed to my mother right away so we could review them.
    The policies never came. In February, 2012 I called the company again to request a copy of the policies and inquire how and when she signed up for them. I was told my mother signed up for the insurance policies over the phone on September 11, 2002. I told the company representative that my mother did not have any memory of signing up for this insurance, that she is functionally deaf and would never agree to any financial contracts over the phone. They insisted that she had. I asked why the line item on the bank statements says, “Key Bank”, not NUFIC. They said they were partners with Key Bank and offered their insurance through Key Bank. I called Key Bank and they flatly denied the partnership with NUFIC. They also said there had received several customer complaints of fraud against this company. The entire arrangement started to smell fishy.
    When the policies finally came, my mother again said she never signed up for them and had never seen them before. After reading them, the policies appeared to be useless in nearly every scenario, and don't pay out on insured people over 70. On March 6, 2012 I called the company again and told them there is no way my mother signed up for this insurance, that she is a functionally deaf senior citizen who does not enter financial contracts over the phone. I said they needed to refund all the premiums she had paid to date or I would take further action. The representative, Ebony Jordan Woods, told me that she agreed and they would refund all premiums paid within 7-10 business days. The check never came.
    I contacted the company again on June 11, 2012. I was told the policies had been closed on March 6, 2012 and that Ebony Jordan Woods made note on the file: "customer requested policies closed. no refund requested." I told the representative that was a complete lie, that the conversation was on speaker phone in the presence of my sister who would verify what I'd said. I again requested that the premiums be refunded immediately or I would file a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner, that what they had done was illegal. I was told there was nothing the representative could do to help me, that only a Senior Policy Analyst could help me and I would be contacted in 7-10 business days. I filed claims with the Insurance Commissioners for Washington State, New York, and Pennsylvania.
    On June 13, 2012 I contacted the company again. This time I was told by Mike Daly that the original recorded conversation needed to be retrieved from archives. He said nothing could be done until it could be retrieved from archives, and that process would take another 7-10 business days. I told the representative this was the first I'd heard of the archive retrieval and was very frustrated by the continued delay.
    On June 14, 2012 Troy Thomas, Senior Policy Analyst for the company contacted me. He reiterated that the recorded conversation needed to be requested and that process could take 7-10 business days. He told me he would get back to me with a resolution by June 22, 2012.
    June 22 came and I didn’t hear from Mr. Thomas. I called the company and spoke with Anna Wade. She told me the premiums had been refunded back to my mother's account. I said I was surprised because Mr. Thomas said he would let me know what the resolution was and he had never contacted me. (The bank never received a refund.)
    I told the representative I wished Mr. Thomas had contacted me, that I had been directed to seek interest damages in addition to the original premiums. She said they couldn't pay interest, only the premiums paid. I reminded the representative, Anna Wade, that National Union Fire Insurance Company had illegally taken control of my mother’s money for nearly 10 years, and the interest on that sum was substantial. She said there was nothing she could do because the policies were closed. I reminded her that the courts in the State of Washington allowed triple damages in a case where theft such as this occurs. She told me a Senior Policy Analyst would contact me within 7-10 business days to discuss my complaint. I told her this was absolutely not acceptable. June 25 I called again, still no refund to my mother's account and got the same run-around.
    I am completely at my wit’s end with this company. They seem to think they can steal from people, provide no service whatsoever, and not have to pay a price for their bad business practices. I will pursue this in the courts, this needs to stop.

Mad_as_a_wet_hen Jun 22, 2012

Does anyone have the 1-800 number to cancel this stupid policy? I still have yet to receive any information from them and I'm still waiting for the $25 gas card that I am sure will never come.

Maureen Malone Jun 02, 2012

I received a letter from NUIC of Pittsburgh. The letter states that my policy is paid through 5/17/12 and I need to send money either quarterly, semi-annually, annually or other. I have no policy with them. What's the deal with these people.

sandiekc Apr 21, 2012

I am glad I have read all these comments before I sent any payments. I just recently received a letter telling me my policy has lapsed because my payment wasn't received in time. I called the number on the letter and was told I have had this insurance since August 10, 2011. It was supposed to be for 2 million accidental but they couldn't tell me who I was supposed to have put down for my beneficiary. I cannot remember ever agreeing to this as my house burned down on July 17, 2010 therefore I didn't have any phone to agree to anything. They told me not to worry that if I sent $25 in immediately it would stop it from lapsing. I almost sent it until I read all these comments. Thank you everyone for sending in your comments they helped me make my decision.

• My
    MykulG Feb 27, 2012

I also keep getting a "bill" from these people, I have NEVER taken out a policy with them. How do we report these people for scamming?

• Cr
    Cranes Feb 17, 2012

I helped out an elderly man for 3 years. For all the time, friendship, energy, and money I spent on him...he decided he wanted to do something for me. He left a letter for his children that he wanted to leave me some money. We researched policies because I did not want him spending to much. About 2 years ago we were paying one of his Valero bills and saw the NUFIC pamplet for accidental insurance...we filled it out and sent it in. Unfortunately he was in an accident last year on 9/18/11, he passed away about 10 hours from his injuries. I filed for payment and now it has been 5 months and nothing. They keep telling me they are going to call me back and nothing. I've sent them the obituray, accident report and death certificate. I informed me that was all they needed and were processing the claim for payment. After 60 days they sent a letter wanting the medical records for the 10hour stay in the hospital. Well...they know I can't get this because I'm not a family member so now I've had to hire an attorney to get the records. Still no phone calls from them letting me know what's going on and excuse after excuse. This is after I was told that it would pay me in 30 days...then they told me 60...then after that they told me 90. Now they tell me it just takes a long time when there is a payout this big. My lawyer is about to sue this company and make them pay more than the policy...they deserve everything they get for making people go through this mess.

• We
    WendyLew Feb 16, 2012

I too am being harassed by NUFIC/GCS/AIG/ChartisInsurance several times a day, every day, for months.
    They never say anything - just call nonstop. I call back and ask them to put me on the Do Not Call list - option#3, but it doesn't help.
    I have tried everything and can't get them to stop. Called, emailed, etc all of the contact info I have found - for NUFIC, Chartis Ins, etc.
    What can we do? maybe get media coverage ?

• Co
    COST REP Oct 18, 2011

I am a former customer service rep. employee, so any time you have any "DISCREPANCIES, " you will contact one of us representatives which we will get on average 4000 calls a day, . 95% of our calls are complaints about customers getting harassed via telephone. We partner with Banks, AAA, JC pennies, chevron gas and other financial and other companies where they give us your contact number and we offer their customers the supplimental policy asking them to take a look at the policy and in return we will give them a gas voulture( customers pump 25 dollars worth of gas then mails us their receipt and we send customers a check for 25 dollars.) Many customers do not know that agreeing to looking at the policy is a verbal agreement and now your financial institution can give NUFIC your account information. It is not fair but many customers fail to say "no " when companies like NUFIC solicit them and they end up agreeing to the look at the policy and listening to a legal script that insurance reps. recite and the customers have to say yes to 5 questions throughout the script to qualify as an agreement.

when customers file a claim on anything besides THE PHYSCIAN OFFICE VISIT ( an incentive so customers can keep the policy) it is hard to get your pay out and the claim form is to cofusing to follow and a doctor is needed to fill the claim form out and it takes 60 days for the examiners to get ahold of the form. Many customers try to fax the claim form but the fax machine never works in the corporate office in Jacksonville, FL. The coroporate headquarters DO NOT HAVE A PHONE NUMBER ONLY P.O. BOX ADRESSS WHICH MEANS YOU CAN ONLY CONTACT THEM BY MAIL( CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICE IS LOCATED IN SOUTH FLORIDA NOT JACKSONVILLE AND WE HAVE TO CONTACT THEM BY MAIL OR FAX ALSO).CRAZY HUH?

• Gm
    gmh vet Aug 13, 2011

I just rec'd two letters from NUFIC of Pittsburgh, PA stating that my polices had elapsed and I could get them reinstated if they received payment within 10 days. I have never had any dealings with this company or even knew they existed until today. I tried to call the cust. svc center at [protected] to ask questions about what these letters refrerred to, but they said call back on Monday. I then checked the internet for info on this company: National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA. Glad I did because there are complaints that are 3 or 4 years old about this situation. It also says Wells Fargo Bank, Bank of America, and various other insurance companies are envolved. AIG was also mentioned. I have had accounts and dealt with the companies I have just mentioned and have never had any problems until now. I am 70 and in the past several years have been scammed numerous times by different companies. THIS JUST PROVES THAT THE ATTORNEY GENERALS OF THE STATES AND OUR NATION ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOBS TO PORTECT THE BABY BOOMERS FROM MASSIVE FRAUD TACTOCS!!! LETS GET MASSIVE CHANGES IN WASHINGTON THAT WILL PROTECT US FROM THIS TYPE OF MODERN SOCIETY THINKING. VOTE ALL THE INCUMBENTS OUT AND GET SOME RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE THAT ARE FOR THE PEOPLE, NOT FOR HARRESSMENT AND FRAUD AGAINST US.

• Ti
    Timothy N.D. Aug 06, 2011

They did not cancel when I called the cancellation number. Their customer service number never picked up after I waited an hour.

• Ki
    Kimisue Hipp Jul 19, 2011

I have to agree with Mr. Chambers in Alabama. Did they ask you if the accreditations of Birmingham hospital. I used to live in Alabama and I know that is a huge hospital and very well equipped to care for people. So, far they have not told me no...but, getting an answer out of these folks is ludicrous. They are dragging this out over 3 months now.
    They sent me a letter stating " Faxed eligibility form to verify hospital's accreditation status" I was in a head on car wreck on April 9th 2011...I suffer from 9 broken bones and 2 surgeries that were 5+ hours long. These people are crazy. First they tell me to fill out the form they sent me in the mail and send it back with itemized bills from the Hospitals I was at. OK, did that. Then I get a letter asking for bills in a UB-04 form and Doctorsadmission and dischage notes. I sent that in now the file is 1 1/2" thick. Then I get a letter asking for Nurses notes while i was at the hospital...HUH? The other stuff was not clear enough...I have copies and this stuff included lab reports for every time theytook my blood, OMG, what next? I call them and ask what else they needed?
    I was told my cliam is being processed and they have everything they need. Then I get recorded message saying there was a problem with my claim and to call them. I called them ask what wrong now? I told then and ( this backed up with a letter ) want the accreditation status of the hospital...UAMS in LIttle Rock Ar. I was told by a Senior Claims Anylsist that they do not have this Hospital in their system...HUH? You would think the a company that sells hospitalization benefits would have a all The trauma centers in the U.S. in their system. Come on give me a break. I have read my policy and I qualify for the hospitalization benefits at 2, 740.00 a day. have had no income since this accident. I spent most of my leave from work on my Husband whom has had numerous back surgeries and been hospitalized. I only have had enough leave to keep my medical benefits going while I have been out of work. I still have a lot of bills to pay. I have medical bills sending letters about collection. Hmmm, if they'd pay up I would not be in this boat. I have worked very hard over the last 4 years to repair our credit...now for this to happen. I'm getting pretty torked about this. If I don't get any solid answers from them this week. I will knocking it up a notch and continue in that direction till they either pay me or I have to get an attorney. Their choice...we'll see...*sigh*

• Ad
    admiral May 31, 2011

customer service phone number is [protected]

• Ad
    admiral May 31, 2011

I paid one month but after reading these reviews I decided to cancel my policy with them! so i called and at first I changed the phone number in my account cause I read that they will call you many times! so if they call, they will call a wrong number and they can't bother me! and then I called and canceled my policy they said it's canceled right away and you will not be charge any more, and I got a confirmation number as well. so lets see!

• La
    Law8903 Apr 11, 2011

FYI, I tried to get the Comptroller of the Currency to take action but like the SEC just got the run around.

Excerpt for my mothers request for help from our Federal Government.

Comptroller of the Currency
    Customer Assistant Group
    1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
    Houston, Texas 77010

Date: February 10, 2011
    Subject: OCC Case Number [protected], Reference: Bank of America letter dated February 4, 2011
    Dear Sir/Madam,
    This letter serves to challenge Bank of America’s claim that my Mother, --------------- authorized National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburg, PA to deduct $24.95 from her checking account each month. My mother is in her eighties and receives Medicare and Champus under my deceased father’s total disability following World War II. She has no need for a supplemental health care insurance and would not have authorized this alleged health care policy. Moreover, my mother possesses a second grade education and does not have the faculty to recite her Bank of America account number to a phone solicitor. Therefore, Bank of America must have provided this information to the National Union Fire Insurance Company. If the Bank provided this information it entered into a conspiracy with National Union to defraud my mother.
    My mother vehemently denies authorizing these charges. She discovered these charges because Bank of America charged her an overdraft fee to cover the cost of the alleged insurance policy. A policy she never authorized or received. This is a fraud and we are asking the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency to take the following actions:
    • Demand that Bank of America and National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA produce an audio copy of her alleged “recorded enrollment process” as claimed by Ryan German, AVP, Operation Consultant, Officer of the CEO and President, Bank of America.

• Upon finding of fraud my mother should be entitled to damages exceeding the amount deducted from her account to include reimbursement of all her over draft fees levied by the Bank. Furthermore, my mother is old and in poor health and this despicable act by the Bank and the National Union Fire Insurance Company should be punished by awarding monetary damages for the Intentional or Negligent Infliction of Emotional Harm.

The Bank nor the Union Fire Insurance Co. never provided any recorded statement or document with my mothers signature authorizing this transaction. Ironically, the Office of the Currency upon receiving the complaint responded by saying in part: "where a clearly defined factual dispute develops, we would be going beyond our authority in acting as a tier of fact or adjudicator of civil disputers". They declined to help and signed the letter "Customer Assistance Group" Our Government no accountability or common sense.

• Pe
    peony0825 Feb 27, 2011

I am so sorry to write these words in rage. Can you believe Bank of American sold customer information? If I have not suffered this bad thing, I won’t believe. But, it is true; Bank of American has sold my information to National Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburgh, PA!!! I never use my card on the internet, how can this bad company got my information and charges my money? When I report the fraud of National Union Fire Insurance Co. to bank of American, I still think BOA is innocent! But, unfortunately, today when I search on the website, I find that I am not the only person suffer this scam! And I recalled that there is an insurance company, named himself as bank of American insurance company, called me several times in 2010. Oh, Bank of American, you not only sold my information but also your own “fame”.
    As one of biggest bank in US, please cherish your reputation!

• Ra
    Ray G. Feb 16, 2011

We got a "bill" from this company in January, 2011 telling us we were past due on our insurance payment that was due December 8, 2010. Since I never spoke with these people and they are not the company that carries my mortgage insurance, we did not pay the bill. I called them today and spoke to a pleasant man that told me I had two policies with them. One started in 2007, the other in 2008. I told him that was great becaust I had surgeries at the end of 2008 that qualified me for some benefit payments from his company. He politely told me that he would send me a "large white envelope" in 7-10 business days with my policy information as well as information on how to obtain benefits.

He then asked me for my birthdate. I asked him if he didn't already have it, and he said he didn't. Have you ever heard of an insurance company that is at risk of having to pay a benefit to you that doesn't have at least that most basic piece of information? I obviously declined to give him my birthdate.

BEWARE. DON'T GIVE THESE PEOPLE ANY INFORMATION, DON'T SEND THEM ANY MONEY UNLESS YOU CAN VERIFY THEIR EXISTENCE AS A BONAFIDE INSURANCE COMPANY IN GOOD STANDING.

I called my mortgage company, which he told me had been paying the premiums on these policies. They had never paid anything to them. They have only been paying my standard homewoner's insurance premium like I set up when we took out our mortgage.

I will be contacting the BBB with this information as well.

• Nr
    nrinaker Feb 16, 2011

So what most of their agents are saying is: " we don't know how we got you, but, we got you!" It apparently doesn't bother them that they are taking advantage of the person in the dark. Or for that matter, the elderly who aren't familair with how banks like AIG and Wells make up a majority of their operating costs. It also makes you wonder who approves of this and what board of directors really have in mind when they steal from the people who make an honest living.

Annonymous in GA Feb 16, 2011

I used to work for this company, and I do hear similar complaints. But its a 2 way street.
    I work FOR the company. I am NOT the company itself. I dont personally take money from your account.
    These are payments for a policy you agreed to review and then either lost track of the time or forgot about the review period and then want to complain about being charged.

But understand one thing, calling us and screaming cussing yelling etc will not help you any. And we have rules to follow. No we cannot just simply give you whatever you ask for. Our computers only allow us to do certain things and screaming/cussing will not make us work any faster or put forth any extra effort. And those of you who complain that we try to pursuade you to keep your policies, THAT IS OUR JOB. We dont call your job to make it more difficult for you. we have a script we have to follow. when you attitude prevents me from doing that, you are LITERALLY costing me my paycheck. if we dont follow script, even if it isnt out fault, we lose our incentives which on some checks can be nearly 200 dollars weekly. So when you call to cancel listen to what we have to say, dont interrupt, get your cancelation number, and have a good day. if you shut up for 2-3 minutes you can get what your asking for it, or as close as i can get to that, and be done with it. and again, there is a limit to what we can especially concerning refunds.

Now what I see the MOST, is people calling in saying that they didnt authorize the policy after many months and sometimes years of billing. Now these policys are not the result of a telemarketer calling them or a bank. These are DIRECTLY MAILED APPLICATIONS for complementary periods and usually a gas voucher or giftcard.
    These people basically only sign up for the free period and gift and then cancel. Which to me is tacky. Why are people always out for something that is free. and again these people are hurting out call scores and costing us money. Now if you must be one of these kind of people, instead of calling to cancel, (as long as you dont need a refund) just request to be switched to a direct bill, ignore said bill and let the damn policy lapse. Its win win, you dont get charged and your not affecting our call scores.

And how the heck can you have something directly debiting your account for more that 3 months without knowing it. I know anytime money is taken from my account. And for the love of god, of the damn policy isnt in your name, dont cuss me out when I wont cancel the policy. we are bound by the laws, and ONLY the primary can cancel. And I am not about to lose me job because you cant get your way, Wives let your husbands call an cancel their own policy, Husband, we dont care if your the bread winner, its the wifes policy let her call us.

And since some policys are offered as an upsale when you call in to order something offline, or from an infomercial or out of a magazine, Parents do NOT let your kids use your credit cards, All they hear is "blah blah blah 25$ free gas blah blah blah" and then wham bam you have a policy.

we have numerous marketing partners and policies are offered in many different ways. Now heres the tic. THIS IS SUPPLEMENTAL INSURANCE, meaning its paid in addition to any other insurance you have EXCEPT medicare/VA which if you have either you know why. So sure it doesnt seem that great if your trying to use this as primary insurance. Which is why its NOT primary insurance. These mostly cheap policies are designed to supplement your primary policy and fill in its gaps, to cover for copays lost wages precriptions etc. But thats only if you use it for that purpose. Because these benefits are paid to the primary insured. If you have full coverage insurance and one of NUFICS policies such as the 1000$ ER benefits. guess whos getting 1000 bucks to spend on whatever they want. Exactly, these policies are great policies. The issue is the [some/most] customers not reading the policies and understanding what an accident is and what the exclusions mean.

And no I am not sorry for those of you who think NUFIC is a scam. Because most this is the result in people not checking their bank statements, reading all their mail, fully listening to the soliciters when they call you and people that are only in it for the free stuff...

Thanks for reading. And trust me I could go on.

• Os
    osi-hb3 Feb 04, 2011

Even though I don't allow myself to overdraw my account with everyday debit card transactions. My bank "will authorize and pay overdrafts for checks and OTHER TRANSACTIONS made using my checking account number." This is called "standard overdraft practices". I find it partcular that NUF withdrawals funds between the 27th & 30th. I live paycheck to paycheck. My bank is well aware of my banking habits... The Electronic Fund Transfer Act needs to be re-written.

• Os
    osi-hb3 Feb 04, 2011

This is domestic terrorism at its best!

• Ho
    Honest Mu Jan 15, 2011

Thank you for publishing this. I see that some people's reactions to these complaints is to blame the victim. What a sorry state of affairs! I came to this site because I was thinking of doing business with National Union. I certainly won't now!

• Sm
    SMFRITSCH Jan 10, 2011

I have received 10 calls a day for the pass 2 weeks from this company saying they are calling about my wells fargo account ...I DO NOT NOR HAVE I EVER HAD A WELLS FARGO ACCOUNT...I have told them they have the wrong number do not call me again I am on the national do not call list...I have had this number for over a yr. and it is a business number and my voice mail is a business message that they have also received a number of times. I do not have the option of not answering my phone since this is a business phone and I pay the phone bill. I should not be harrassed by these people...When I called the company to file a complaint I received another call from them while I was on the phone with the NY office. They call as early as 8:30 on Saturday mornings and as late as 9:23 at night which is not legal to call people after 9:00. I am also going to file a complaint with the BBB and with the national do not call list and the OHio att. generals office. SORRY IT DOES NOT TAKE 30 DAYS TO REMOVE A NUMBER FROM THEIR DATABASE...THE NATIONAL DO NOT CALL LIST EVEN AGREES WITH ME ON THAT.

Non-profit Dec 14, 2010

I found an unauthorized ACH corporate charge that was discovered during monthly account reconciliation at my non-profit organization. I had 3 separate phone calls with Bank of America while they tried to locate the correct merchant for the charge; it says “Bank of America Admin Fees” on the statement. After trying several phone numbers, it appeared to be a charge originating with the National Union Fire Insurance Company. When Bank of America connected me with this company to try to determine what the charge was for, they had an incorrect mailing address and said the charge was for an Individual Accident and Disability Plan Plus Policy for myself and my spouse—which was not ordered or authorized; in fact, I am not even married! And I have never heard of this company. They gave me a confirmation number and said they would investigate the charge and get back to me. They never got back to me, and when I called again, they had no record of my name or my company name on file and therefore could not locate the charge. I have filed fraud charges and am waiting to see if Bank of America will credit our account or not.

anon220020203 Oct 28, 2010

what is the 800 number to call and cancel a plan?

anonymous two Oct 23, 2010

Just received a bill in the mail for an insurance policy we've never had from National Union Fire Insurance. Who are this people?? Seems to me they need to go to jail!!!

• Ai
    Ainonymous Oct 19, 2010

Hello all of you out there in complaint land. I am sure glad that I googled and found all this out about NUFIC, I got a letter in the mail from Regions Bank, one of my banking establishments which I will be canceling shortly. The letter is like the 5th or 6th I have received in regards to accident and hospitalization insurance. Sure it sounds like a good deal but when you think about it, they want me to pay 36.00 a month for insurance reimbursement which does not pay a dime if you are sick. so how is it that this insurance will be used, after reading all the exclusions, you have to be injured at no fault of your own, in a motor vehicle or by a motor vehicle, which would be paid by auto insurance anyways, and they will probably not pay anyway. No thanks, I will keep my money and just pay my own deductible. There was also a portion talking about doctor/dentist deductible reimbursement for a max of 100.00 a month, limited to one visit per month, I have 3 young children, when one gets sick they all get sick, so that is not a winner to me. paying out 100.00 a month when you get a premium of 36.00 a month, and you will only pay out for one person per month. I am not trying to get something for nothing here, just trying to stay above water. My employee insurance sucks balls and since my employer provides crap insurance, I have to use it because of OBAMA and all his wisdom, even if it costs me 230.00 a visit to a doctor and I have to pay all my medical bills up to the 3000.00 deductible limit for family coverage. this does not sound like insurance to me.. not at all.

********* By what I have read on this site alone, it seems all BANKS are affiliated with NUFIC. and they do receive financial compensation for referrals. *********
    Back to the credit unions for me.

• Mi
    Milosbuddy Oct 18, 2010

National Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburgh, PA - Fraudlent Activities for Supplementa Insurance; Identify Theft, Accessing Accounts without permission.. etc. etc.. DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE IDIOTS EVER! They apparently can send your mortgage company false information stating that you enrolled in some bogus supplemental insurance rewards program. Then your mortgage company bills you. Not sure who gets a cut, but I can tell you that the banks that have been liked to these slimballs are: BOA, CHASE, CITI, Wells Fargo, and many others.. This company is often listed as an "optional services" vendor who may have a legit relationship with the bank, but is either mis-using that relationship, or is in league with the bank if that bank gets a cut of the premium the charge.

“ This activity is sometimes described as “Pre-acquired account marketing”

Pre-Acquired account marketing is a sales practice that allows companies to charge consumers for services they do not know they ordered and do not use. The practice depends on a seller’s ability to charge a consumer’s financial account without the consumer providing the account number to that seller. This is possible because the seller has paid a financial institution, or another seller who retains consumer account numbers, for the right to charge those accounts. Almost all of the consumers paying for the services sold through pre-acquired account marketing are unaware their accounts have been charged and unaware they have “purchased” the service.

1. Many of these consumers are charged because they have diminished mental capacity or struggle with the English language.

2. Pre-acquired account marketing works only because it allows the sorting out of vulnerable consumers who do not understand the solicitation or who do not notice the account charge. Data from public enforcement actions against banks and sellers using pre-acquired account marketing demonstrate this result occurs in all different formats of pre-acquired account marketing.

3. The number of consumers affected by this questionable practice runs into the tens of millions, which is enough to support numerous sizeable companies.

4 Many of the nation’s largest financial institutions are substantially involved in the practice.”

I am definately considering a class action law-suit and formal notification to any Anti-Fraud organizations I can contact to include the SEC because AIG, and most banks are publicly traded entities who must certify the valididy of their financal and operational internal controls annually persuant to the Sarbanes -Oxley ACT of 2002 Section 404. I am an internal auditor and they just messed with the wrong person. If anyone knows of any existing or pending cases against this subsidiary of AIG, please contact me at [email protected]

• To
    Totechnical Oct 09, 2010

Simple - if it sounds too good to be true - it is! That's the difference between Baby Boomers and the Gen X'ers and Gen Yers. I guess this lesson wasn't handed down to them like it was to us. How is it that as soon as I received this and as a Baby Boomer, I knew enough to look them up just to find this posting site? Why even give in to them? Why even talk to them. News Flash! I haven't answered my phone in over 20 years. I don't even let it ring! It's called an answering machine and if it's important enough, someone will leave a message.

ezybrezy Jan 16, 2019

@Totechnical I have my phone unplugged and call back the important numbers.

• By
    Byronc Sep 21, 2010

I started receiving numerous calls every day, but I don't answer unless they talk to my answering machine. I was getting so many calls that I ordered caller-id from the phone company so I could see who was calling. Within a 3 day period I got 4 calls from a caller ID of NUFIC. I called the number back and it was National Union Fire Insurance Co of Pittsburgh. I reported them to the Do Not Call complaint web site. When they called this morning I saw it was the same number so I answered it and they said they were from US Bank. I said that I didn't believe my bank would do such a thing and that I had reported them for a do not call violation.

I then called a US Bank local number and the gal I talked to hadn't heard of any association between NUFIC and their bank, but gave me the corporate number to call. When I called them, I found out that YES, the bank had an arrangement with NUFIC. I told the manager that I thought that was a lousy thing for the bank to do and that I would be moving my accounts out of US Bank to a bank that would not do this to their customers.

I still have trouble believing my bank allowed this to happen. The bank must get some reward from the insurance company when insurance is sold in association with their bank name. This really stinks since the bank is giving out customer information to this company.

• Ec
    eclipse_908 Sep 17, 2010

and they cannot or will not charge you without them talking to you on the phone and getting your verbal consent otherwise it would be literally impossible to bill you. and for the record i work at this 3rd party calling center which sells these products. yes the insurance sucks. yes some of the people are dicks. but just dont say yes then its that simple. also say "DO NOT CALL LISt" otherwise they can put you as a call back legally

• Ec
    eclipse_908 Sep 17, 2010

if thats this much trouble... just dont answer the phone. i mean you people talking about suing just because of a phone calls are the one who are the [censor] of the earth. cant get a job so you need to just sue someone to live off your lazy welfare [censor].