MLP Media LtdTerrible experience

M

I am a self employed plumber specialising in bathroom installation. On 3 February 2009 I had a meeting with a representative from MLP Media in relation to purchasing advertising space. The Rep told me that all pharmacies had to produce a leaflet informing their customers the services they offered. It was a requirement for the leaflet to be handed out with every prescription dispensed, be it the first or a repeat prescription. The pharmacy in question (which I was to advertise in) is my local pharmacy. The Rep quoted a figure in thousands as being the number of prescriptions dispensed by the outlet. Knowing the pharmacy, it's location and the population using it I had no reason to disbelieve the Rep. I purchased advertising space in the leaflet at a cost of £460, payable in 3 installments (taken in advance before the leaflet was printed). After printing I was able to ascertain from friends, relatives and customers using the pharmacy that the leaflet was NOT being distributed to customers with their prescriptions. The leaflet was merely available 'behind the counter' for anyone who requested one. This was NOT what I had been told would happen. Had this been the case I would NOT have advertised there. I spoke to the pharmacist personally and he told me 'the leaflets are there if the customer wants one'. Many phone calls to resolve the issue have been made to MLP Media by myself. On each occasion I have been told MLP Media would contact the pharmacy and request the leaflet be given out with prescriptions. I know this had NOT happened. I have not had one call as a result of advertising in this leaflet. I contacted MLP Media recently by letter requesting a refund of my money as they had not fulfilled their part of the contract, they refused. I am a sole trader whose advertising budget is very limited and I feel very aggrieved that I have been mis sold advertising space.

Senior Paper Monitor Dec 01, 2009

Based on our experience I am surprised that there is so little follow up comment - 2 months after the promised production/distribution date (and full payment) there is no sign of the brochures at our local doctor's surgery. Their stance ... we can publish as and when we wish / we don't do refunds !! Off to to court with this one.

• De
    deepbluesky Jan 15, 2010

same experience

• De
    deepbluesky Jan 15, 2010

Despite a really bad feeling about the offer I paid the same amount because the pharmacy called me and told me they will distribute leaflets... so far nothing has happened. I was told the same crap by the rep: they will do the artwork within 1 week. Now 4 weeks have past and NOTHING had been done.

Will see what will happen in the future

• Bo
    bowdidds123 Feb 23, 2010

Yes i took out 2 adverts one for my buissness one for my husbands after 3 mns the doctors cards were distibuted to 2 surgeries that were not the ones promised (2 really quiet village ones )not the big clinics agreed, and i was told i was on every card they printed, now i have seen diffrent cards i am not on, i said to them i would not be interested if i was on 1 in 3 or 4 cards and they said i would be on every card the surgeries put out.another standing order installment is soon approching, if i dont pay they will take me to court as i signed a contract.these ads have cost me £500 in total for probably 50 appiontment cards!!!

• On
    only taken in once Mar 29, 2010

I pruchased advertising by MLP Media in our local doctor surgery card. I paid in installments, over £600. I was promised proof of the advertisment none has come. When I commented I was going to stop payment until I had a proof advert I was told I was tied in to the contract. I am not happy! I have just read the contract terms & conditions again, " the company reserves the right to change the size, shape, title and LOCALE of the advertisment or the MEDIA used to display the advertising matter." So even though I signed up specifically for the local surgery & verbally promised a copy of the card I have not seen anything yet & I do not think I will. I have contacted Trading Standards to find out where I stand. I will not be caught out again!

• Ml
    MLP Media wrong Aug 17, 2010

I have also purchased advertising space from MLP Media to go on a two page appointment card but 12 months on the add still wasn't printed, so i wrote to MLP and also phoned them to say i no longer wanted the add to go to print as i had a special offer on the add that i no longer wanted to have on offer. I then proceeded to county court MLP, one week after the count court was sent they printed the add on the local doctors appointment card which is now more like an advetising three page brochour with hardly any space to put appointments on. If you ask for an appointment card at the coctors you are given a photo copied peice of paper not the cards that have the advetisments on them! Totaly wrong and i also feel that the doctors surgery is to be held accountable. DO NOT USE MLP MEDIA !!!

• Pg
    pgtri Sep 16, 2010

I too purchased advertising from MLP Media - KEEP AWAY FROM THEM - Their customer service is appalling and they lie - how they can sleep at night I do not know. They said that my advert (for my small business) would be advertised at my clinic where thousands of people would be exposed to my advert. After taking months for them to get round to issuing the appointment cards, my advert was not on it despite having paid in full for my space. Later I found that another company also provides my clinic with appointment cards with different business advertising - so my market had now halved. But the icing on the cake was when i went to my clinic to book an appointment - expecting to be given my appointment on one of those fancy cards with (hopefully my advert on) I found that they printed my appointment on one of those dymo machines. when I asked them if they used the appointment cards with our adverts on they said that this system was much easier as it was generated by the computer. Fuming I contacted MLP Media who said that they would talk to the clinic as they had a contract with them. To date the clinic are not using the MLP Media advertising cards and still using the electronic dymo appointment cards.
    How this company can still trade is beyond me, their ethics are despicable. All they are interested in is a quick way to make money out of those of us who work hard to try and run ethical businesses, they have done nothing to ensure that our paid for advertising is used in the manner it was sold to us.

• Hu
    hughsy Nov 10, 2010

I also purchased advertising from MLP. There Director 'Martin' promised me a slot on the appointment cards of the local doctors surgery which were to be given out to all patients. (quoted thousands!!). This was in Feb 2010 when I started my small country restaurant business. Two months later I went to the surgery to have a look at what was being given out and was unhappy to see that my logo an information wasn't even on the card. After learning from the practice manager that they were in dispute with MLP as they have taken advertising with companies inappropriate to the card. I have made over 10 calls spanning 6 months to try and get my money back. Everytime I am palmed off and told that its not their fault and the cards will be printed soon. I'm also told that they ar not breaking the terms of the contract as I paid for two years advertising, and that is what I will still get. DO NOT USE THEM if you have any sense. Hopefully people reading this are a bit more careful than I was when parting with their hard earned, as I would have been better burning it.

Senior Paper Monitor Jan 26, 2011

It appears that all contributors here can now look forward to being taken to court by MLP Media !!! Bring it on I say - and has reminded me that I haven't processed our own claim (viewing it as a time consuming interruption to our more important business) and since, somewhat to my surprise, they are apparently still trading I must get round to doing so.

Senior Paper Monitor Jan 26, 2011

Ah yes - in response to Briony's request to "advise when they will be removed" ...

When hell freezes over !

b&m Mersea Feb 09, 2011

I cannot believe it !!! We are so furious... here back at Mersea Island, near Colchester, Essex. just checking about MPL Media, out of cheer frustration, and found out their scam... Beware !!! We are a family run Taxi business, based on the Island, and they have done the same to us. ONLY THEY ARE SELLING US ADVERTISING SPACE FOR AN APPOINTMENT CARD for our local SURGERY! Needless to say... that was August 2010... it is not a card but a flyer that is now supposed to be produced (as we know, people will put it straight in the bin! )We did not agree to flyer but to a small dedicated card to be given to each patient for each appointment. Money collected by them already, of course. By the way, it is February 2011... and nothing has been done yet.
    Shall get together and expose this scam?

abacuslettings May 03, 2011

Check out the facebook page by googling MLP and get behind this, you will have this guy running scared.

• Ml
    MLP Media wrong May 03, 2011

Just to let everyone know that i took MLP media to court and got all my money back, MLP media even faield to attend the hearing!!! IF ONLY EVERYBODY COULD BE BOTHERED TO TAKE COURT ACTION THEN MAYBE THE SCAMS WOULD END!!! Go on do it, you know you want to.

b&m Mersea May 07, 2011

Good to hear of your success... which reminds me I need to go and check what is happening at my local surgery! August 2010 to May 2011... I bet nothing has been printed ! Another local business has contacted us, totally angry at "having been cheated by MLP" (what is new?)... and an other has exposed them to a Welsh watchdog Television channel "The Ferret"... MLP Media has been chased before for the same and it seems carry on now under a different name... Bring on the rogue traders! Or yes... invite them to court, if they care to come!!! Well done. Right, off I go and check !

abacuslettings May 07, 2011

The prvious name was Medi Leisure Plus which went Bankrupt on the Friday and started trading from the same office with the same staff on Monday morning with Martin England's Father as a Director!!!

b&m Mersea May 10, 2011

Thanks for that ! Unbelievable that they are still trading...

camolangambo Jun 19, 2011

This is one of the worst companies I have ever had the misfortune to deal with and should be closed down by some authority! I know that not only do they treat customers as cattle, they also treat their employees with the same disdain. I know this because I have a friend who works in the 'graphics department' there. Hasten to say they are working illegally without a contract, freezed pay and at a monsterously outdated pc! Not to mention the shared toilets and terrible working conditions in the office! I was even told that the ceiling was leeking in an office full of electrical equpment! Someone needs to check this place out asap! Hopefully shut them down too!

charliegal Jun 23, 2011

Hi, i have (through my own niaveness) just signed up with mlp media, and the sales man told me i would pay £360 + VAT for 2 years of advertising on appointment cards of the dr surgery... i have just had a phone call saying my 1st instalment is due, which is £172, she then inormed me i will have another 4 payments the same 1 each month for the next 4 months. i questioned this and said the salesman did not explain this to me, she just informed me it was in the contract, which having now read it it is. i know i have been very stupid and should of read the paper through thoroughly and there is no excuse for not doing so. i was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to where i could go from here as my business doesn't even make that much money each month... Please help... i am prepared to lose the £172, i just can't afford the other payments...

b&m Mersea Jun 23, 2011

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING...! I know somebody else who has stopped payments. They have send her reminders. She has ignored them and has put them in the bins where they belong... just as well since we all signed the "contract" last year in August 2010 and nothing has been printing yet... euh! June 2011?. So do not pay... They have done nothing. The are a con company and they know it.
    Phone Trading and Standards [protected]). They have a file on them. They will help. Keep in touch. We are all behind you.

b&m Mersea Jun 23, 2011

I meant... DO NOT PAY A THING! My old teacher's voice came back to me and I could hear him correcting me.

jaxs2210 Jul 14, 2011

I am also in the process of filng complaints. I am just about to pay my last payment to them, totalling £720 for 2 years of advertising! was told cards would be printed by easter, still nothing!! i will not let this one go. trading Standards tomorrow, local papers etc etc. They are definately conning people and being allowed to do so, we should all stick together and stop this from happening. I am at present compiling a list of all complaints i can find on the internet about them, any help greatly recieved, [email protected]

• Hg
    hgc Jul 26, 2011

I have had a visit from a MLP Media salesman today. At first instance everything seemed to stack up as this was the local surgery which I actually used. Once I had signed all the forms and standing order and the salesman left I decided to google them and ring the surgery. They confirmed that they were using MLP Media but were not aware of all the bad press. Im not in the habit of was £480 so I have just cancelled the initial deposit cheque and intend to cancel any standing orders they attempt to set up. I have writen by recorded delivery my intention to cancel the contract and I believe under the door step selling act I have a statutory seven day cooling off period. Fingers crossed this is the last I hear from them! I am going to be more careful in the future and only take advertising when I have contacted for it not from cold calling!

b&m Mersea Jul 28, 2011

Hi hgc !... Bavo... Brilliant... I am so pleased to hear that at least one person is getting the benefit of all our complaint.
    MLP Media is like an iceberg. Does not look dangerous on top but deadly underneath. The depth of their deception is unbelievable!
    The FHT (Federation of Holistic Therapists)advises its members not to enter into pharmacy and surgery appointment card advertising with CAS Media, Leisure Medical, lPL Media or MLP Media following complaints made by members.
    The Consumer Direct have a file on them... phone them and add to the list.
    Do not let them bully you... with their 100% proof contract... they will never take you to court. They could not risk it! Well done.

• St
    Stedy 57 Aug 06, 2011

I too recently had a visit from an MLP media Rep. Like a fool I signed up for two years advertising in a drs appointment card total cost £300 plus VAT. The contract was not explained in full; the salesman was not open and did not explain the small print hidden on the rear of the agreement form ; the price upon reflection seemed excessive for a sole trader and my advert could be changed at anytime plus the position was not guarenteed, the salesman had told me different; he also diverted our attention by talking about other subjects
    Shortly afterwards I realised the error of my ways and cancelled the contract two days after signing it via email and special delivery letter. MLP media have ignored my instructions to date as they presented my cheque (fortunately I had stopped it) and also my STO mandate I signed; this I had cancelled; they also have sent an ad for approval a week after I told them the contract was cancelled.
    I have told them that I cancelled under the doorstep selling regulations (as contract signed at my house) which gives me seven days to cancel and offers protection.
    I have also said if they persist I will advise my local MP, trading standards and the doctors surgery

Please, please try not to use this company the sales methods leave a lot to be desired you get a phone call out of the blue followed by a visit on the same day, rates seem excessive, the contract is explained and then any attempt to cancel is ignored
    I do not intend to pay them a penny, especially as the doctors card has not been published yet so I cancelled before the advert went out; if they want to take me to court so be it.

• St
    Stedy 57 Aug 06, 2011

sorry last post should have read at end " the contract is NOT explained"

abacuslettings Aug 09, 2011

The person behind this company went bankrupt in 2001 for £124000 and then again in 2007 for £114000. They will keep on doing this scam whilst poor hardworking businesses are sold on non existent or poor advertising. They need stopping, try using Facebook to get the word out. If anyone needs any info on these people leave your email on here and I will get in touch.

Chevin Trek Oct 11, 2011

Also in dispute with MLP Media. Agreed advertising for the local Nuffield Health Centre, and they have failed to deliver citing that Nuffield withdrew the contract. They have emailed Nuffield saying they are willing to refund sponsors - but have sent a letter to us saying they are placing our (un approved) advert at a local doctor's surgery. The Doctor's surgery is in dispute with them too I find, and no advertising is going to appear. We are pursuing to Small Claims Court this week.

abacuslettings Nov 08, 2011

MLP media have closed/ moved from their present office on Pall Mall in Chorley, Martin England is setting up another business now, dont sign any contracts or send them any cheques!!!

Call me for legal advice Nov 29, 2011

I have also been swept up in all this. I entered into the contract back in November 2010 and wish I had seen these posts sooner. I work as a lawyer myself and intend to bring an action against MLP in the County Court (small claims) for the balance of the contract and possibly consequencial losses.

If anyone wants to speak with me about bringing a claim against MLP for their lost hard earned money then give me a call on [protected].

I just hope everyone gets their money back, unfortunately I imagine the directors have been skimming the company accounts and there will only be a limited pool of money to pay out form, my thoughts, get in there quick!

Colin

abacuslettings Nov 29, 2011

The business has moved office now, Mr England is setting up yet another company 200m away, doing exactly the same thing. Colin if you want his details email me at [email protected] I have plenty of information for you.

• I have also been ripped off by this company to the tune of £470. Promised advising in local vet appointment cards in Sept 2010, paid in instalments. Kept chasing them over 8 months as no cards were printed - lied to and told cards were at the printers, all the usual stories it seems. Finally got a copy of the card and visited the vet in question. Turns out the vet does not have a contract with MLP, and are not using their appointment cards. We have reported to Trading Standards and have done what they advised, and we are now about to issue a CCC.

Colin do you have an email address that we could correspondence regarding this? We are prepared to take them to court.

• Ok
    okidoki Dec 02, 2011

ALL I CAN SAY IS I FEEL SO SORRY FOR YOU ALL. I USED TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY, THE FIRST BANKRUPCY WAS WITH THE NAME JME MARKETING, THAT WAS WHEN THE TWO CO OWNERS, JOANNE AND MARTIN ENGLAND SET UP AND THEN WENT BUST, FORMED MEDI LESIURE PLUS, WAS INVESTIGATED BY THE WELSH SHOW THE FERRIT, FOR VERY DODGY SCAMS, THEY LIVED THE HIGH LIFE, MARTIN ENGLAND TO THIS DAY IS STILL A VALUED MEMBER OF SHAW HILL GOLF CLUB, GOOGLE THERE PRICES!!! EXPENSIVE HOLIDAYS, TOP DESIGNER CLOTHES, TOWIE HAS NOTHING ON THIS GUY!!! SO ON FILED FOR BANKRUPCY AGAIN, IN STEPS FATHER TOM, TOM ENGLAND THAT IS, A MARTIN NOW REP ING FOR THE COMP, NOT BAD EH. AND NOW MOVED AGAIN TO THE OTHER SIDE OF CHORLEY. THEY ARE CALLED DOCTORS FOR YOU, EVERYONE HERE GET IN TOUCH WITH
    dont get done get dom... looking for stories... think this will be a good one how many people have they ripped off? the web page is [email protected] or call [protected]

baby shop Dec 05, 2011

where a small buisness and have been ripped off by mlp we have payed nearly £500 every time we rang them they fob us off with a different excuse now we cant get hold of them :(

abacuslettings Dec 18, 2011

If anyone is still paying or has paid monies to MLP Media in the last 2 months please let me know by email at [email protected] we are in court with this guy in Jan and any info will be a massive help on stopping him. Thanks

abacuslettings Jan 09, 2012

For everyone out there who has been ripped off by MLP, Martin Englands new company is called D4YOU services, tel [protected] fax [protected] email [email protected] or [email protected] The address is Unit 2 Clarence St Ind Est Chorley PR7 2AT, its the unit with his brand new merc outside.

CAS Media, bite me! Jan 16, 2012

My wife has just had a visit today from Antony Read of CAS Media, who signed her up for a... wait for it... 2 year contract for advertising on the back of doctors appointment cards, for a total of £600. On the face of it sounded ok, but she's not good with contracts etc, English only being her second language, and I was a bit annoyed with her for not saying she would think it over and let them know giving me a chance to read the contract first. But I read the contract anyway, and what an aggressive contract it is too! No cancellation allowed, any missed payments will be slapped with large interest amounts, CAS Media can change what they like, when they like, how they like, the advertiser has no rights. Alarm bells? You betcha!

Google is your friend people! The first page of results are all from CAS Media themselves, must have taken some doing to bury the complaints and scam warnings, but go a little further back and there they all are. I can only thank everyone for posting the warnings on this site and others, thanks to you my wife is not about to lose £600 that she really cant afford to throw away. Because she had given them card details, one call to her bank and a quick explanation of the scam we had discovered she had fallen victim to this afternoon and they have confirmed that no money has been taken yet. On the banks suggestion they have reported her card lost, no further payments can be taken against it, and a new card will be with her in around 3 days.

I'm looking forward now to the phone call tomorrow morning advising them that the contract she has signed is not worth the paper that it is (badly) written on, despite it's statement that it is not subject to cancellation by the advertiser, due to the statutory 7 day doorstep selling cancellation period.

I hope if anyone else caught by them reads this in time can do something similar, or if it is too late and they have your money then please read back to some of the other comments and discover that if you take them to court you should hopefully get at least some of your money back. DONT LET ### LIKE THIS GET AWAY WITH IT!

• As
    ASCCOT LTD - CAS MEDIA Jan 26, 2012

CAS Media bite me!
    This post is completely untrue. Antony Reed visited this customer who agreed to advertise with CAS Media then realised he could not afford to pay it. His wife spoke perfect English and understood every word. If he had had the decency to call us then we would have arranged something for him. We have since spoken to him and he has denied all knowledge of this post!
    Every company has occasional issues with their customers and we are no different, we have sold over 12, 000 adverts in 5 years and have a complaint % of less than .01.

• Vi
    Vitale Mar 05, 2012

As a previous poster has stated Martin England is indeed a member of the supposedly prestigious Shaw Hill Golf Club. Any club that accepts Martin England as a member can hardly claim to be "exclusive" unless of course they cater exclusively to con men. I suggest an additional strategy against Mr England which is to interfere with his pleasure pursuits which are after all undertaken at our expense as we essentially paid for his membership. I think everyone should contact Shaw Hill Golf Club and demand that Martin England be blackballed. A nuisance campaign such as this will hopefully ensure that Mr England is ostrasized by his golfing chums as they certainly won't want the hassle or their name being associated with his in media exposure. Shaw Hill Golf club can be contacted on [protected] or emailed at [email protected] Ask them why they accept con men into their club house. We could possibly organise a high profile day of action against Martin England at the golf course if they continue to accept him as a member.

Call me for legal advice Apr 16, 2012

Firstly I should say that I am a civil litigator and have experience with recovering damages for breach of contract. I should also say that I myself have suffered at the hand of MLP, it';s a horrible thing to happen and I sympathise will everyone here that has shared the same fate. If i can help you I will!

Poppadom, the reason your proceedings have not been accepted is because you are issuing/serving against the wrong legal entity. Company law 101: a limited company is a legal entity and retains its own liabilities. You should have served against the company with which you engaged a contract. This limited liability, retained by the company is known as the corporate veil and is intended to encourage investment and business. It can be lifted where fraud, sham or facade are proven however these have to be exceptional circumstances. The issue with this is that MLP Media Ltd, although still active on companies house may not have any money with which to pay us out, even if you have a County Court Judgement against them for the debt.

I have posted on here before and until now haven't been able to help anyone because my costs outweighing the amount being claimed; these are small claims cases. If enough people need my help and we can push the value up into the fast track (over 5, 000) then I may be able to recover costs and help everyone in a group action without charging anything more than i recover from MLP, again this is subjct to confirmation that they have enough money to pay me out! I will have to look into this so no promises but if everyone who is owed money from MLP within the last 6 years (limitation for breach of contract) then I will try and put something together.

Call me and I will advise you without asking for a penny (although I would reserve the right to charge if I win the case against MLP whereby I will recover the money from them and not from you).

I hate this sort of fraudulent trading that damages the little guys, if I can stick it to them for you I will!

I will shamelessly plug that I also do personal injury and indutrial disease work so I would ask, if you appreciate my kindess to you, that you repay me with a reccomendation to anyone you know that has been injured and would like legal advice (again at no charge).

Good luck everyone, call me!

Colin Goldring
    Civil Litigator
    Broadgate Legal Solicitors
    Tel: [protected]
    Fax: [protected]
    e-mail: [email protected]

• Es
    estuary mersea Nov 05, 2012

I agree DO NOT USE this company, Mersea island is a small island in essex, we got targeted by these people to do with doctors surgery appointment cards, a lot of people lost a lot of money, but no one seems to do anything and they keep getting ways with it. its about time the law was changed to put a stop to them once and for all. Sadly i now view all media advertising companies with dread, and will not go there.