Ladd Hill Labradoodlespoor customer service

N May 23, 2016 Review updated:

I have had a deposit in on a puppy for over a year. I chose to be on a floating list so that when the particular color and sex of the dog I wanted showed up, I would have right of first refusal. She ignored that. I signed up for a litter. She changed the colors that the dogs were expected to be. I signed up for yet another litter. This dog was due to be bred in the next few days when the breeder pulled the dog from her program. There was no communication with me about "what next" and when I contacted her to discuss this problem, she would not speak on the phone, but only email me a note that said I was the bad customer and she had tried everything she could to help me and basically fired me as a customer. She is running an expensive puppy mill — cranking them out as fast as she can and not tolerating someone who would actually want what they want for the price. Stay away — she's a bully.

•   Jun 01, 2016

I had the exact opposite experience at Ladd Hill Labradoodles. I had nothing but accurate, clear communication from Josie. I also have 2 friends who have puppies from her and have had great experiences. I purchased my dog Max from her last year. She was very upfront from the beginning that my requests for dog sex, size, color, and specific litter would be met as possible but that they don't know the exact specifics about the puppies until they are actually born. I was always given the option to wait for the next litter if I wanted to. What I was most impressed with was her always putting the puppies well being first. She made an effort to learn about my family and our lifestyles so she could make the best match possible between puppy and family. When I went to pick up my puppy from her home (she raised the litter herself at her home) I could see the great environment that he spent the first 2 months of his life in and that she truly loved all of those puppies. I would not hesitate to recommend Ladd Hill to my family and friends. Max is the best dog and we absolutely love him.

• E
      Jun 10, 2016

I totally disagree! I have had my puppy for almost a year now and he is an absolute doll. Josie was great throughout the buying experience and afterword if I had any follow up about the puppy. She produces VERY high quality dogs that are 100% worth the money. She gave me a dog that is not just a dog but truly a part of my family. I wouldn't want any other dog as a companion.

• C
      Jun 10, 2016

I have found Josie to be patient, kind, and very willing to co-operate with me in finding the right puppy color I will be happy with.I have drivin this women CRAZY for months changing my litter's due to traveling. I'm coming across the country to pick up my Ladd Hill puppy, and can't wait to meet Josie and my new "love"! If there ever was a client to fire it would have been me!! Conscientious yes, bully... no way.

Jul 06, 2016

I've had the exact opposite experience with Ladd Hill! FIrst off, they are NOT a puppy mill! I've been to Josie's many times, and I only wish my dogs could live in an environment, like her dogs! She runs a very professional business. She has the right to change the litter color based on the stud she uses. She also can remove a dog from her program at any time! Keep up the good work LADD HILL!

Aug 24, 2016

I couldn't disagree with the complaint more. I have purchased two labradoodles from Ladd Hill and both experiences have been nothing but friendly and professional. Both pups are happy, healthy, and adjusted easily into our homes. I fell in love with our first puppy at first sight and Josie was kind enough to let us adopt him. With the second pup, she asked us to choose our top three favorites after describing their personalities and viewing their pictures. We were lucky enough to get our first choice and she's just as affectionate as Josie had told us she was. We are even thinking of a third doodle and wouldn't consider getting him/her from anyone else.

• 7
      Sep 12, 2016

I sure do not know what this person is talking about! Josie at Ladd Hill is the best breeder that we have encountered. We have adopted dogs (not labradoddles but labradors) from other breeders for over 45 years and we have never had a breeder who was more considerate of our needs and more importantly finding the right dog for our situation. We have adopted two dogs from Josie and would not consider going to anyone else. As to a being a "bully", Josie is absolutely at the opposite end of that spectrum! She wants what is best for her puppies and is firm about that but "bully" she is NOT! Best experience in adopting a puppy that you could have when you choose Ladd Hill!!

• D
      Oct 04, 2016

I am 55 and have had dogs, cats, horses etc all my life. Pound puppies, purebreds, 25 lbs to 80 lbs... you name it. I have two Ladd Hill labradoodles and they are the most loving, calm, intuitive, easy to train and endearing dogs I've ever owned. They have different personalities; one is a loving, dorky goofball and the other is the calm perfect lady. I found LaddHill when my teenage son was pet-sitting a one-year old puppy - it was the calmest year-old-dog I'd ever seen. I asked the owner and she told be about LaddHill and her experience. I called e-mailed Josie the next day. Here's what I'll say about Josie. She is the opposite of a puppy mill. Her breeding dogs are in loving homes enjoying life. Her #1 goal is to make sure that her puppies go to caring homes where buyers understand dogs, what to expect and how to raise a well-adjusted dog. She matches shyer, calmer pups with less active buyers and rambunctious, energetic pups with experienced dog-owners with active children. Over the 15 years of a dog's life the personality fit is 1000% more important than the color or sex. New Runner sounds like she wanted to buy a dog the way I buy a car - a certain color, a certain interior off an assembly line delivered on a certain day. That's not how ethical breeding works! For example, if an ethical breeder isn't happy with the temperament of recent puppies produced by a newer stud she's planning to use to prevent in-breeding, she SHOULD decide not to breed to him and pick a different stud. And yes, the puppies that arrive 60 days later may not be the same colors as were originally hoped for when the breeding was originally anticipated, but the puppies will be better pets. No breeder can know until those pups are born what sex they'll be - or guarantee the litter size. Labradoodles come in many colors - that's half the fun. A LaddHill buyer can wait until next litter if they are adamant with a certain color or sex - but Josie's #1 concern is putting loving puppies in loving homes where there is a good fit... and she can be pretty adamant about it! New Runner doesn't sound like a dog lover as much as a consumer unhappy with a product. Knowing Josie's commitment to right-homing her puppies, I'd bet $100, she refunded the non-refundable deposit because she knew she might never make New Runner happy, and that a different breeder might be a better fit for her needs. The irony? Sounds like a puppy mill production line is exactly what New Runner wants!

• 7
      Oct 05, 2016

Let's face it, there are some people who are never happy. They seem to have problems with brothers, sisters, teachers, parents, friends, neighbors, stores, contractors, etc. we all have encountered them. Too bad for this lady, I hope she finds what she needs.

Apr 07, 2017

Hello,
    I completely disagree with the above complaint! We received our puppy from Josie and Ladd Hill Labradoodles 3 weeks ago. He is AMAZING, and we could not love him more. As it turns out, he is exactly the color we were looking for (we chose our litter based on the parents' colors and previous puppies), but Josie was very clear when I first reached out to her that she cannot guarantee puppy color or sex. We knew that puppy allocation takes place around 7 weeks of age going in. Josie was so patient and kind during the allocation process. She was very ill at the time, but she still spoke with me for over an hour (on multiple calls) to make sure that I was happy and comfortable with the puppy that would be joining our family! She was even concerned about the temperament of our older dog--wanting to make sure our new puppy's temperament complemented that of our older dog. Since bringing home the puppy, I have had a few questions that Josie has answered right away, and I feel certain that she will always be there to assist if any issues arise.
    As for the puppy, he is incredible! So smart, so loving, so much fun!!! He fits right in to our family! He has seen our vet twice, and both times our vet and his staff have commented on what a great looking puppy he is! I did EXTENSIVE research on breeders of Australian Labradoodles prior to selecting Ladd Hill. I looked at every website I could find, looked at every picture of breeding dogs and past litters of puppies, read all the reviews. I firmly believe that Ladd Hill offers the best Australian Labradoodles available, and I am completely satisfied with my choice! I read this complaint prior to choosing Ladd Hill, but I also read the responses and did the research--so happy we ended up with our amazing puppy from Josie and Ladd Hill!

• A
      Apr 12, 2017

I have known Josie for over 6 years, I believe she is the most responsible dog breeder out there, I currently have three of her beautiful dogs, I was a guardian to all three Pegg Sue 6 years, Gunnar & Ozzie 4 years old, Peggy Sue's son's, all retired from her breeding program.

All of the testing she does before any dog gets bred is intense and time consuming, she is through and a perfectionist making sure she does right by the dogs she brings into this world, her character is of the highest I know.

I'm shocked and saddened when someone treats getting a dog like buying a car, these dogs are part of our family and are treated as such.
    Especially when people return dogs to her saying they changed their minds, sometimes after 3 years or more, how can you do?
    Ann Gunnin

• T
      Jul 19, 2017

I also could not disagree more with this review. I have a Ladd Hill guardian dog. I have found Josie to be kind, very responsive to any correspondence, and she’s always willing to answer any questions. Josie is a very conscientious breeder, who spent a lot of time getting to know me and my family so she could pick the perfect dog for us, which she did. We could not love our Ladd Hill Labradoodle more. I would give Josie the highest of recommendations to anyone looking for a dog.

Jul 21, 2017

I have one too! Best dog ever, from the best most ethical breeding program around. Highly recommend Josie and her very special pups.

• W
      Nov 30, 2017

Ladd Hill came very highly recommended from a personal friend so I endured what I felt was a disappointing and impersonal buying experience. I would expect a lot more when paying such a premium price for a puppy.

That being said, I am extremely happy with the dog. He is awesome. Our family loves him.

I would absolutely buy another Australian labradoodle, and probably will in a few years. But I Will NOT be buying that puppy from Ladd Hill. I would also encourage anyone else to think twice or even ten times before buying from Ladd Hill.

Once we had our puppy home, the customer service is substandard at best. My emails have gone unanswered for weeks at a time. A neuter refund was promised and once I had my dog neutered, the amount of paperwork and hoops they want you to jump through are just silly. All over 100$, when I spent nearly 4000$ for the dog. Disappointing!

Mar 17, 2018

@wilbur97 The first time I sent Ladd Hill my vet certificate proof of neuter, I had all sorts of required information missing. Ladd Hill sent me an email explaining what was needed, and a phone call to our vet’s secretary resulted in a new certificate within 15 minutes which I then forwarded to Ladd Hill. I had the refund check immediately thereafter. It really wasn’t a big deal in my experience!

Dec 16, 2017

I’m sorry you are dissapointed with your Ladd Hill experience. However, after reviewing the email chain, I can assure you your emails were answered within several days. I’m happy to send you copies of our emails. I advised you before and after your dog was neutered that I needed the microchip number on the vets neuter certificate. So far, you have refused to provide this information. I would be happy to send your refund as soon as you provide the chip number.

• S
      Mar 22, 2018

After reading some of the recent posts concerning buying experiences through Ladd Hill, we felt the need to make comment as well.

We felt that the experience was quite impersonal. Even though we spoke to Josie on a couple of occasions, phone messages and emails were not answered in what we considered a timely fashion. If often took multiple messages and/or calls to get a response. In addition, we found it odd that we never met Josie. We assumed that if we were dealing with a high quality breeder, that we would have had the opportunity to meet her personally. That was the case with two other dogs that have been part of our lives.

On the day that we picked up our puppy from the "guardian home" it would have been a huge positive to have had Josie there to add a truly personal touch. On the 21st of September, there was only one litter of puppies being sent home with their new families. The guardian home was also in Sherwood...and couldn't have been that far from Josie's home. The woman we met at the guardian home was warm and friendly and had obviously taken good care of the litter.

We're also wondering if any puppies from recent litters have had dental issues. To date, our puppy has had two dental procedures (one from our local vet and another from a veterinary dental specialist) to correct a significant dental malocclusion. We're fully aware that it is our responsibility as pet owners to make sure our dog receives needed health care at all times, and is something that we will always continue to provide. We weren't expecting something like this and of such expense so early in our puppy's life.

As a sideline, we asked for our puppy's pedigree once we'd submitted the spay/neuter certificate. When we asked, we were told that those weren't sent out unless requested. So...we made the request. What we expected to receive was a good quality printed Pedigree sent through the mail and signed by Josie. We received an emailed copy which doesn't print well and was difficult to read. Once again, impersonal in nature.

We love our dog! She's a beautiful, intelligent and loving little creature and definitely couldn't imagine life without her! We're looking forward to many years of fun and laughs at her antics!

Sandy and Ralph Woodward
    Olympia, Washington

May 08, 2018

Sandy, I’m sorry your experience with us was not to your expectations. We do our best to provide fast service and reply to emails and calls promptly. We are a small family business with over 700 clients that we offer a lifetime of support to and we try to answer emergency situations first. On your pickup day, I was at the airport delivering 2 dogs to other buyers. We try hard to meet everyone’s expectations but sometimes we are unable to do this due to the timing of things.

I think the pedigree situation was a misunderstanding. Rarely do I have a buyer wanting a copy of pedigree, let alone a paper one. Most everyone wants an email. As soon as I knew you wanted a paper copy, I sent it to you UPS. My apologies for not meeting your expections!

May 20, 2018

I too have to comment on the types of complaints I am seeing here. I have 2 Ladd Hill dogs and have worked with Josie for more than 2 years. I think the missing note here is that the complaining people are forgetting that they have fantastic dogs due to the diligence and attention to breeding that Josie provides at Ladd Hill. These are not puppy mill dogs but are bred with the most outstanding attention to detail of any breeder I have ever met and I am 65 and never been without a dog. You people have the best dogs of this type anywhere and your petty complaints about paper copies of pedigrees (you might want to jump into the 21st century of paperless, green living) and not having Josie available to hand you over your dog are putting aside the years and years of hard work and commitment that Josie has brought to this breed. These dogs will not end up in shelters or living on the street if we are careful to neuter and spay and leave the breeding to professionals like Josie, who of course need proof that they won't be bred outside of the network. And, that requirement is in your contract. I am sorry that some of you think Josie is not doing her job but come on folks, look at your dogs. They didn't get that personality and great look from anyone but her. Hard to work with? No. But as with any great breeder, Josie puts her dogs first and people second. Personally, I would rather have the fantastic, amazing animals that she produces than all the mushy warm and fuzzy that you people seem to be missing from her. Enjoy your dogs and be glad you have this wonderful opportunity rather than complaining because your feelings are hurt. You are the lucky few who have Ladd Hill dogs.

May 21, 2018

Jul 01, 2018

I have four Ladd Hill doodles. They are all smart, loving, adorable pups. Josie has always responded quickly to any of our questions and encourages us to chat with other Ladd Hill owners. We travel everywhere with our pack and they are always welcomed back because they're such great pups. Who cares about a paper pedigree? We cared about temperament and buying from a reputable breeder... and we couldn't be more pleased. Proof? We started wanting just one ... and now we have four ALL from Ladd Hill. Josie can't guarantee colors or sex ... that's ridiculous ... but she does allow you to transfer your deposit to another liter. She can't be any fairer than that. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Ladd Hill to anyone looking to add a new best friend to their family.

Nov 16, 2019

I would like to add to this discussion about my experience with Josie and LaddHill Labradoodles. We have been working with Josie for four years now. My experience with Josie as a quality breeder was so wonderful that I have now referred two friends who have gotten two labradoodles each from her. All of their pups, including mine, are the friendliest, sweetest, smartest dogs I have ever known! The temperament of these ALDs is amazing, even with my two year old grandson. I am teaching him to respect and love our dogs, and they are loving him back. The folks I referred to Josie were so pleased they have gone back for another puppy. Whenever I have questions about my pup, Josie continues to be very good about getting back with me to answer all of my questions. I have actually visited Portland, Oregon to meet Josie and learn more about LaddHill Labradoodles. Her operation is top notch, only the best for her dogs. Her dogs come first without a doubt. Josie worked closely with us to meet as much of our puppy request as possible, even though we knew going in she couldn't guarantee sex or color. Nevertheless, she matched us with a puppy that could not have been more perfect for our family. I continue to recommend LaddHill Labradoodles to everyone I know who is interested in added a new furry member to their family.