Katskits — Purchase of a maine coon kitten who has been sick since purchase
I purchased my Maine Coon Kitten from Katskits, a Minnesota cattery. She was the nearest location to my home. I waited 18 months to bring home my kitten. I paid $900.00 for him. Upon picking him up I was told he had ring worm that was another name for athlete's foot. The breeder would not allow me to hold the kitten until after I signed two papers, a purchase agreement and a health agreement. It stated that the kitten to my knowledge was a well kitten. I was given a baggie of pills for the ringworm.
I took video's of a sampling of the cats living in the home. I looked at the kennel for the male cats. After inquiring how many cats lived in the house at the time, I was told "too many." My query of how many is too many brought an answer of 32.
Both of my other cats, an 18 year old tabby and a full breed Birman contracted ringworm from the kitten. I also contracted ringworm on my lymphatic arm and received treatment from my doctor at Allina Clinic in Anoka. ( This is very dangerous for a cancer survivor to experience.)
Most of the cats I visited with had runny eyes and matted fur. I suggested we have a 'dematting party.' I was told that the mats just fall off by themselves. All the cats were matted and most had runny eyes.
The owner of the cattery also ran a child-care. The home was large and prepared for child care. 'Kat' is a nice person but a bit secretive.
My kitten has been plagued with several diseases; serious ringworm on many different places on his body, fur loss that was concealed due to long fur and a runny nose with following cough.
At 7 months I took my kitten to my vet to be neutered and examined a second time. His teeth were badly infected, red and swollen. The ringworm was healed because I treated the kitten* and my other cats. My vet examined my kitten, did blood work and sent samples into a lab to check for internal ringworm. My kitten was prescribed antibiotics and a return visit. A second round of antibiotics was prescribed at a following visit. The cough and nasal drainage continues six weeks hence. On the 6th my kitten will have an xray to determine the condition of his lungs and head.
How do I proceed in order to report this incident, receive a purchase refund and follow the two recommendations from my well known and highly respected vet who himself has taught veterinarian medicine at the University of Minnesota.
After carefully talking with me Dr. Hedges suggested that I consider moving in the direction of contacting the breeder to receive a return on my payment and pursue the thought of doing what I could to 'stop the outgoing animals' from the cattery.