Goodlife FitnessPT and membership

F Dec 01, 2020

I've been charged of a biweekly payment of CAD$ 440.92 on November 23 2020. However, it was announced on November 20th that Toronto would enter into lockdown on November 23th, and since then I'mnot receiving any services.

Because I didn't have enough funds on my checking account, my bank charged me a NSF of CAD$48 due to GoodLife Fitness' intend of charging. I didn't imagine Goodlife Fitness would charge me for a service that I'mnot receiving or that we don't even know when we are able to resume activities at the gym.

I received an email on November 28th, telling me that they will charged me an additional CAD$25 because the payment didn't go through, and that they will be charging (CAD$ 440.92) once again on December 3rd.

I called to [protected] to ask them for a solution. However, the guy told me that (i) they sent to the bank the order to charge payments on November 20, when the lockdown was announced. But, It was known in advance that Toronto migh be entering into lockdown that week, thus, GoodLife could have stopped the order; (ii) my payment was due and they will withdraw it form my checking account on December 3rd.

How can a payment is due if I haven't received any service? cancelation of the sessions are not my fault!. Gyms have been closed in Toronto and they should be flexible at that.

My Desired Outcome is:
(1) to freeze that payment (CAD$ 440.92 - November 23) until that gyms at Toronto are able to open and I'm able to use the GoodLife Fitness'services.
Why I have to pay almost CAD$500 for a service that I don't know when I'm going to receive.
(2) Do not charge the CAD$25. It is not my fault that gyms are closed and that they want to charge payments over a service that Imnot receiving.
(3) Pay the CAD$48 that I've been charged from my bank due to GoodLife Fitness' intend of charging on November 23rd.

• La
    Larry Ladines Apr 26, 2021

Since the Pandemic and Toronto lockdown started March 2020, I stopped going to the gym since then.
    I tried calling them so many times to cancel my membership but cant get thru or no one is answering their phone. They also shutdown their On-line access from their website and cannot reply to their email.
    Thru March 2020 until December 2020 they keep taking monthly deduction from my bank account UNTIL I requested my bank to stop them from withdrawing money from my account. For the month of January and February this year they are still trying to withdraw money from my account and received a letter of warning from them. I was able to contact Goodlife in March and had an argument with Customer Service BUT I was able to cancel my membership with them. Unfortunately now, they sent me a letter and asking for payment for the month of January and February 2021 of about $54 and threatening me that they will sue me for it.
    Instead of getting a refund for the 2020 payments I made while the city is on Pandemic Lockdown, they want to charge me for the months of 2021 too which they are now threatening for legal or collection fees.

maabu Dec 08, 2020

My advice to you is to cancel your personal training contract immediately, and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for the money that was wrongfully withdrawn. Unfortunately, GoodLife will ask you to pay their "cancellation fee" and will likely not reimburse your money. You are not the first. GoodLife is known for this. As someone who was in your shoes trapped in a GoodLife contract the best decision I did was to cancel and leave GoodLife indefinitely. I, unfortunately, also lost $393.24 that I never got back.

If personal training is something you're interested in please look elsewhere. You mentioned you are from Toronto. There are many great gyms (local and private) and even many more great trainers, with the added bonus of no unfair contracts. Far beyond that of the quality of GoodLife. Once you leave GoodLife you will understand this. This company is truly a disgrace to the fitness industry.

Good luck.

• Si
    SidSpeaks Dec 04, 2020

goodlife is notorious for this. It the only reason why it hasn't closed down