Gardner White Waterford MIbad mattress/terrible service

S

Last July my wife and I purchase a new king size mattress during the king for queen sale at the Gardner White on Dixie Highway in Waterford Michigan. Everything started off perfect. It was delivered a day or two later and great until after only 7 months it was sagging quite a bit. We called and someone came out very soon and said we would be able to get a new mattress. I was happy, for now. I went into the store to set up the new mattress delivery. While in the store I suggested that I would be happier with a different mattress because of how quickly this one started to sag. I was informed that I'd have to come back because the person who had to make that decision was not there. I waited and never heard back so after 3 or 4 days I went back and they had never got an answer but were able to get an approval after about a 30 minute wait. I got to choose from one other mattress. It was firmer but felt okay so we went with it. It was delivered quickly again. The first few mornings we woke up and our backs were slightly sore but I just figured it was an adjustment going to a firmer mattress. Its now been a few weeks and we are sleeping in the spare bedroom on our old mattress because our backs hurt so bad.

Last Thursday I went in and spoke with someone at the service desk about my problems. I just explained how uncomfortable the bed was and it was causing so much pain we were sleeping on our old mattress. I asked what our options were and if they could please help me out. I also stated that if it required upgrading to a more expensive mattress we would be willing to spend more if needed. I was told there was no one in the store that could make the decision and they had to call Jeff at the main distribution center. She did let me know it was 6:00 and he was probably gone but she would email him right away. I said okay and thought I would here back soon. By Monday evening I still had not heard anything so stopped in again after work. Unfortunately the lady I had talked to on Thursday was not there nore did she put any notes in my file. So I explained everything again to the lady that was there she informed me of the same information and said she'd call Jeff. I politely asked if anyone in the store could help because I had been told Jeff would contact me once before. She said there is a manager but he can't do anything(seems kind of pointless). I asked if I could get Jeff's number to call myself but before she could get it for me a salesperson, I think TJ, rudely interrupted and told her to ring someone and then she could finish with me. I was being patient. But then they started arguing because she said she couldn't because there were no prices and he said just take a deposit but she said she couldn't and shes been there a year and must be stupid! I was just thinking WOW! This is crazy. They gave me the number and I left. When I got home I was so bothered I called back and asked for a manager and explained the situation and poor service. His response was "I will talk to them about it." That was it.

There are few things that are really bothering me. First, not one of the several people I has spoken with has said "I'm sorry" when I've told them how bad my back hurts and I'm sleeping on my old bed. Second, I am being ignored and can't get help from anyone. Jeff was supposedly emailed last Thursday and called by me yesterday and today. All I want is a bed I can sleep on! Lastly, is how uncomfortable and unappreciated I have felt through this entire process, especially during the last visit in the store with the associates arguing in front of me.

If I don't here back soon I think my next step is either contacting the Better Business Bureau or having my brother-in-law who is an attorney write a letter to their legal department. I am really hoping it doesn't get to that because I just want a mattress I can sleep on even if I have to pay a little more. Seems pretty reasonable to me

• Sn
    snrennie Mar 27, 2012

I agree with Sherwood. Terrible company! Terrible furniture and poor service. Mrs Preston is extremely unhelpful. Reaching out on all consumer sites, social networking, and media sources to get help, because apparently the distract manager has no boss and she is the be all and end all. Well, we will see.

• Sh
    Sherwood Mar 14, 2012

so what you are saying is we are stuck with a mattress that they basically forced on us and can not use? And everyone is still ignoring the terrible service that has been provided. It looks like I will have to take the next step and contact an attorney or the better business bureau and maybe someone will respond to them.

• Gw
    GWFurniture Mar 14, 2012

Gardner White Furniture offers a 1-year warranty against defects. The bedding manufacturer provides you with an extended warranty, 10 years in many cases. If your mattress is deemed defective the manufacturer will provide you with the same mattress, if it is still available. If it is no longer in the line up, they will give you the comparable that is in the current line up. Comfort varies from person to person, however, it is not considered a manufacturer's defect. Your new mattress has a warranty. If you feel it is defective we can send a service technician to the home to inspect the product. Comfort is not considered a defect.

Ms. Preston