GameStopreturn policy

My sister, who is not tech savvy, purchased an Xbox from Gamestop yesterday 7/7/09. She walked in and basically just said she wanted an Xbox, she didn't know the difference in console models and asked for the cheapest one. When I found out about it today 7/8/09, I told her to take it back and get the upgraded model. I asked her if she bought the extended warranty for the console she did purchase and she said "I didn't know they had warranties for them". Gamestop would not return the console - even though she bought it less than 24 hours ago, told me on the phone that it was a new Microsoft policy that they do not accept returns on new consoles that have been opened - I've heard about this for games but never for the console itself. I contacted other stores (walmart, bestbuy, etc) and they told me that there was no such policy and that they would gladly accept a return provided everything was in the box and I had a receipt. I tried to talk the manager into at the very least letting us purchase the warranty for the xbox we had given the fact that she wasn't told about it at purchase, this is what he said "Your out of luck sir, she should have asked for one". I was so mad I was shaking. This company obviously takes advantage of a persons ignorance to their policies and makes no effort to inform their customers of such policies. I've contacted GameStop customer service, and the regional managers office. I've also contacted my local news and will go to the BBB if this is not taken care of.

On another note, just from personal experience with GameStop when I go shopping. Their trade in policy is ludicris, they prey on young kids who want the newest game and so they trade in their entire collection of games to scrape up a few bucks return in order to pay for it. I once witnessed a kid trade in Final Fantasy VII a while back (before they stopped taking PS1 games), they gave him like $6 for it, and they were selling it on the shelf for $50 or more. I've seen it for $80 or more online and in pawn shops. And alot of their other products are so astronomically high, I don't understand why any shops there. They have used Guitar Hero controllers for $39.99 (Toy's R Us is selling the same model - BRAND NEW for $9.99). I've seen many times where they will have a used game on the shelf for only $5 less than the new one on the next shelf over - or they will be selling a used game for more than a new copy at another store.

I know this sounds like I'm just angry about my problem, but it really isn't in general I've never been a fan of GameStop or any of their affiliate companies (Babbages, EBGames, etc) Their employees are often rude and spend most of the time chatting with their friends who are hanging out in the store playing video games.

I've only actually had 1 good experience with gamestop they had a game I wanted at another location - the current manager pulled strings and had the game shipped to that location so I wouldn't have to drive the distance - that manager no longer works there and the customer service declined.

Thanks

• Ro
    Rofllmao Jul 18, 2016

About a week ago I went into a Gamestop to pick up a pre-ordered game, expecting the usual stuff; the disc, case, and a little code that allows you to download some special costume for the game on the PS3. After eagerly sitting down and playing the game for a bit, I realized there was no code to be found. After discussing this with a friend who got the same game under the same conditions from the same Gamestop, he told me that the code should be on the receipt. After scanning it for god knows how long there was none to be found. So naturally I went to the store to ask if I could simply get one.

The employee denied ANY claims that the code was for the PS3, and I spent around 10 minutes arguing with him, even showing a print out of the pre-order offer from their website that promised a code for the costume. Deciding that I didn't want to make a big scene I calmly told him that I would settle this with a DA or manager at a later date. Hearing this, he laughed at me while I left the store and told me to "Go to hell".

Thankfully I received the code from a much nicer employee that a friend of mine knew, but SERIOUSLY? This service isn't something I should expect because Im a courteous customer.

• St
    Stopthebs Jul 18, 2016

Why didn't you call the police? Game stop didn't steal your card. Why should they play detective for an idiot who lets their credit card get stolen? Where do all these ###s come from????

• Li
    lizadarlin Jul 18, 2016

My credit card was stolen. While I was talking to the fraud department, they told me the card was being used at that moment at the Game Stop. I called the store shortly after this hoping to get a description of the person using my card but given no information. The person I talked to gave me some speech about fraud prevention, etc. etc. I then called another store where the person also tried to used my card and was given a good description of the thief. This manager also checked with several other store managers and reported which stores the thief tried to use my card. How hard was that???? I will definitely do business with this other store again but will try to buy games somewhere besides Game Stop which is my kids store of choice. Whatever happened to customer service?

• Ha
    hachi1 Jul 18, 2016

Regarding store #6133 of Butte, MT GameStop store:

I was in this whole week to get just one game, and it never happened. About two weeks ago, I went in to pre-order "Phantom Brave: We Meet Again" for the Wii, and everything was set up. I waited patiently to receive my game until then. Well when I came in on release date August 11, they told me it wasn't going to be in until the next day. I asked them why wasn't my game here on the day it was suppose to come out, and they simply replied that since its a lesser game, they don't have to have it the day it was launched. They also started talking down to me, and it got very annoying. So, I went to to a local game store to see if they had it. Apparently what GameStop foolishly was unaware of was that the game was pushed back until the 14. So, out of curiosity, I wanted to see how long before they got the same info. They never once told me that it was pushed back, so they kept telling me "come back tomorrow." So, the 14 came, and I expected it THAT day. They told me they haven't and said "come back tomorrow." So today, I came in, and much to my surprise, they didn't have it. Only this time they told me "come back in a few days, maybe a week, and we should have it." My blood couldn't have boiled much more, and I demanded a refund. So, after wards, I call customer service to file a complaint, and they hung up on me. So now, any buissness with them is completely gone from me, because I am smarter than that to be shoved around like a damn monkey. Anyone I know of that shops there have lost their respect from me.

• Bo
    bobtheman Jul 18, 2016

Why didn't you jsut cancel your order and go somewhere else?

• little running beer Jul 18, 2016

go take your meds

• 4c
    4cats1dog Jul 18, 2016

I placed a 100 dollar order which contained 4 wii controllers. After the order was place I saw it only contained 2 controllers. So I tried to go back in and change the order which the web site said I could so, but it kept saying the site was having computer soft ware problems. I tried like 20 times to get it to through. I tried calling only to be told the phone volume was to large and I would have to call back later...call back later...what???? Then I get a page that says order is cancelled and then like 3 hours later they send an email that says the order has been processed. Yes...I used store credit and not my credit card so I am guessing that is why they did not want to help me:( I will be doing NO MORE business with this company:(

• JIMMY Doberson Jul 18, 2016

The GameStop @ the Augusta Mall on 3450 Wrightsboro Road: The Guy who manages the place, is a certified idiot, he keeps hiring convicts, degenerates, and immature clowns to run this crappy establishment, that only does a good job ripping off customers on their overpriced games, and does a poor job getting the latest games available. The customer service is ALWAYS lousy, and I discovered that the GameStop managers enforce a discrimination policy against customers, and hiring african-americans. The manager had recently turned down another black male (who was qualified & had no record)- FOR NO REASON, only to hire; yet again, another white punk street dealer, who was just let out of prison- For Robbery!! I hate what this incompetent racist manager is doing to the image of GameStop.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Jul 18, 2016

Maybe your friend met with a different set of employees?

• Po
    pobarjenkins Jul 18, 2016

Also, couldn't what your friend perceives as courteous be different than what you perceive as courteous?

• Ad
    AdamOlympia Jul 18, 2016

I am a member subscribed to Gamestop. Being a member allows me to get a magazine called the "Gameinformer" every month or so. When i got the recent issue i flipped through the pages and saw an article called "Jak and Daxter Collection". The game was said to be on PS3&360. Seeing how it was released on February 7th i rushed to the nearest Gamestop and asked if they had it. They said it would be in stock within the next few days. After some small talk I brought up how I had a Xbox and the employee stated "The game is only for PS3" I showed him the article and he saw how it said "PS3 360" He said that it was a typo from the magazine and i was very mad. I drove all the way to the store to just be disappointed. I feel like something should be done about this. I went through this trouble because of an error on a huge corporation.

Comments

• Es
    Estidama Jul 18, 2016

Separately and in different times, A friend of mine and I went to the two Gamestop/EB stores here in west Mississauga to trade in some used games for the new.
    With the same conditions my friend completed his transactions and was telling how nice the storekeepers were, however, when I arrived and approached the storekeeper it was a completely different treatment. The storekeeper put up a straight face and wouldn't respond to my friendly conversation starter.
    I had actually got bumped around three times between the two stores and was offered some blurry explanations and flashed some 'internal use only' binders.

It seems to me that the storekeepers are much more accommodating, courteous and lenient to my friend than myself. Why is this difference? Racial?

Anyone with this franchise should look into this and look for immediate rectification before any further and more serious complaints are made and published to the public, the consumer protection agencies and the NARCC.

This also goes out to all other retail store owners and keepers.

• Al
    Albert lamell Jul 18, 2016

Sony and Game informer are to blame for the deceit to all 360 owners and should be held accountable for it.

• Fa
    fakedeathpill Jul 18, 2016

After complaining or attempting to complain about their Impulse server and their so called 'direct' downloading links as fake or corrupted downloading or dangerous support site which is downloading spyware or corrupted product license resulting in my not being able to use the product in the package, I was informed that the company would not allow me to use part of the package and that Stardock would profile me as a troublemaker. Several times over the decade long troubles I have been experiencing with this company they have sent me replies to wait untill a period of hours have gone before they would reply and then they would accept any other comments in order of receipt however within the time limit they would reply telling me that since I haven't replied then the issue would be closed. This problem among authorization issues has existed throughout my association with this company.

Comments

John R. Capuano Jul 18, 2016

I just bought 6 DVD movies, and paid $50.00 for all of them at Game Stop. But when I got home to play them, all 6 were completely all scratched up, and kept freezing in my DVD player. I got so mad, that I just threw all 6 in my trash-can. I tried bring them back, but the cashier was extreamly cocky, and wouldnt give me my money back, or 6 new non-defective DVDs. I wasted all my $50.00 for nothing ! So im hoping maybe you could please help me out here. I always go to Game Stop, and NEVER had any problems, until now. Im really a good customer there for sure ! Please write me back.

THANKS!
    John R. Capuano

jay027 Jul 18, 2016

I bought a computer game on 04/03/10 and upon trying to upload it to my computer I was told that it only supports windows Vista, I have windows XP. there's no clearly marked label stating that windows vista is only supported and when I tried to return it to get my money back they refused. the game has never been played and is still new in the box. I will never go to gamestop again. I will start going to bestbuy or walmart.

AnnoCus Jul 18, 2016

I had been a gamestop customers for many years and let me said, I finally decide to stop shopping at gamestop because not only they rip their customers off, they had rude sale associate that only think what they said are right and what ever the customer (me) wrong. Will, that how they run their store in Bell Gardens.

What piss me out the most, is that one of their associate is very un-professional when it's come customer services. Now, I can provide proof but that like I want this associate to get fired. One thing, his appearance is like a homeless person, second he alway make offense remark each time I step in the school, asking simple question, and theird; once I file an complaint "using the tellgamestop.com", the manager promote this person just to piss me off even more.

Now I understead their marketing and way of running their business, but keeping this kind of sale associates even after a customer files a complaint, it will just make it's clear that GameStop Inc. is a big fake in the retail business, and I am not talking about hos they run their business. This is foucus on this one sale associate. Of course, I can stop going to this school, but I still two games reserve at the store and the sale associate won't even let me cancel, even I have the orginal recept. Like un-professional sale associates make the company seem more un legit.

• Oh
    OhWowReally Jul 18, 2016

Wow. I really want to say what I'm thinking right now, but I just can't. It would be like beating up a wheelchair bound 90 year old.

• Ca
    CallMeV Jul 18, 2016

1.) They don't seal used games in plastic at GameStop.
    2.) Make up your mind, was it the same store or not?
    3.) Judging a game in only 30 seconds is probably a bad idea, or very efficient. But considering the rest of your post, I'm leaning towards bad idea.
    4.) It's not their game anymore, it's yours. But you probably shouldn't play it, you might hurt yourself.

• IronGrudge89 Jul 18, 2016

"I went to the closest gamestop (not the one i bought it from)"
    ...
    "The manager at gamestop opened the case, saw the cd was scratched, and wouldn’t take it back. I had just bought the game that day from THAT gamestop location."

Not sure if ###ed or lying.

• Di
    dicek Jul 18, 2016

I bought a game from gamestop awhile back that looked pretty cool. Got home took the plastic off carefully and saved it. Popped it in and within 30 seconds i realized it sucked so i took it out, and put it back in the plastic wrap they put it in when they sold it to me. I went to the closest gamestop (not the one i bought it from) i was like hey i dont want this game can i get a different one. The manager at gamestop opened the case, saw the cd was scratched, and wouldn’t take it back. I had just bought the game that day from THAT gamestop location. It was used so of course it was scratched, wtf am I supposed to do gamestop, play your crappy game instead?

• Wine Is Good Jun 16, 2016

It is up to the consumer to now the Anti-Piracy law. No store has to accept returns at all. However, it is up to you, the consumer, to know your computer before buying games for it. The law states that no media items that have been opened can be returned. No policy or signs are needed. All they have to do is say no. This is not a new policy or law.

annfw Jun 16, 2016

My son bought a $60 PC game on 6/9/16 and our computer was not updated enough to play the game. Five days later on 6/14/16, I go to return it and they won't because of licensing. I understand that, but they did not inform my son of this policy BEFORE he bought it. Now my son is out $65 (warranty & tax). I'm steaming mad that this company does not make it a policy in all their store to disclose information like this to their customers. I never would have let my son buy this game if I had known this.

• Sp
    Spanaway mom Jan 29, 2012

The people that work in this store apparently hold themselves above anyone else that comes in that store - unless may if you are a gamer. I buy things for my teenage boys in the store. Maybe because they aren't adults and I'm not a gamer we are not worthy of their time to answer any questions about products they sell - or their policies.
    I had a question on a system I bought 33 days ago. They would not answer my question. They simply wanted to know when I purchased it. If I bought the warrenty.
    Apparently I didn't answer them with the right info because they said they can't help me, or answer any questions I have because it was over 30days. So I asked should I contact Xbox direct? And was told that would be the logical thing to do since they cannot answer anything for me. All I had was a question!!! You can't even listen???
    For the money I have spent over the last month there - I will find another retailer that is happy to have my business.

• Su
    super mad man Nov 04, 2011

I went with my son to this store so he could this new game. We found it used and it was the extended version. We end up purchasing it and when we get home it is the normal copy. They then refused to exchange the discs. I am FURIOUS!!!

• Sc
    Screw You Wal-Mart & Telecheck May 15, 2011

Check out estarland.com, they give much better trade in values than Gamestop.

• Tr
    Trelloz May 15, 2011

I have a few Nintendo Wii games that have been barely used. I went to the Game Stop website to see what they were selling them for USED and then I called my nearest store to get trade in values and below is the result. As of 5/9/09 at 12 Noon EST, the website listed the used games at: Mario Party 8 $44.99. They said trade in value was 16.00 Super Paper Mario $39.99 They said trade in value was 13.00 When I called the store and got the trade in values and told the girl that was ridiculous and listed the online used prices all the store employee could say was 'I know'!!! So they know that we are being ripped off! Avoid this store at all costs. No Customers, means no more store to rip us off! There are other places to sell your games yourself. Use them!

• Me
    Megamoku Mar 19, 2011

Never said what used baught or sold. I'm guessing it was a newer game you baught and a bunch of crappy older games that you sold. Customer payback on games can be anywhere from 10-50% depending on how valuable the game is. A classic game like Persona 4 will always get the seller a much higher percent because it's a noted valuable game that will be easy to sell. A old crappy soccor game from 6 years ago will get you a far less percentage because really, no one is going to buy it. Want more for your games? Sell them on craigslist or ebay. The reason why gamestop gets away with giving you less is because:
    1. They save you the hastle of having to ship the game or try to contact various people with hope that they will buy your game.
    2. They have to pay some one to to talk to whinners like you who think they should be getting $20 for your copy of Too Human. News flash, now one is going to buy that game for more than $13 so yeah, I'd give you $4 for it.
    3. Where else are you gonna sell your used games at a store and get a better deal for them? Seriously tell me.
    FWY I don't nor have I ever worked for gamestop. I'm just a person with an average intelligence who understands economics.

• Df
    dfunke21012 Jan 08, 2011

They're just in it for their own profit and they won't give you a "fair" resale price for your goods. If you want that figure it out and go on Amazon or Ebay you always set your own price and get what you want. Besides I've had more fun finding these games there for my older systems then from any store. Brick and mortar stores suck any ways they've lost the human touch the I give a damned more about pleasing my customers then myself and making a buck. Sheesh. Go back to customer is always right no matter what school ya'll at Game Stop and other stores you flunked customer service 101 again. FYI all their HQ is in the Dallas area just west of the D FW INT airport and I've been there in person. So if you really want to [censor] them out forget calling some 8OO number just go there in person and [censor] em out.

Abalone Dec 22, 2010

Don't rub you hands too quickly out of greed : THIS link IS definitely NOT a good publicity .
    It might seem NOW ; BUT wait and see...

Poetic justice is on its way.

This is my last message to you so that you won't accuse me of spamming anymore.

Go on, people abhor you for what you do to them and for what you are: a hater with too much time on his hands.

But we would not like to be in your boots.

Abalone Dec 21, 2010

Hi Audreylucero!!!

Abalone Dec 21, 2010

As Valyrian Steel, perhaps ????

Please, take your medecine pouch and get lost on a remote ilot.

• Ev
    Evolus Dec 13, 2010

The Gamestop associate who sold you this new game should have sealed it, so they knew if it had been opened or not. Next time this store attempts to sell you a new copy that has been removed from its shrinkwrap (this should only happen if it's the absolute LAST copy in stock), you should request to have it sealed. This is the corporate policy. Sorry you had a bad experience.

• Ev
    Evolus Dec 06, 2010

Um. All DSs have Wifi, by the way.

• Al
    Al_1977 Jul 23, 2010

Stealth Pilot, G. Harrison, and Dan87 are all idiots / the same person / GameStop employee(s). Shut the hell up with your bullsh!t, you jackhole(s)! In this case, GameStop should've verified the console serial no. and ensured that all acessories, components, and documentation for the Xbox 360 system are there. They could even test the console to verify that it is indeed in good working order, and if everything checks out... they should absolutely take the unit back, just as all other retailers do!
    Also, GS does infact use predatory tactics on trade-ins to profit off of dumb little kids who are desperate to get the latest game or console. 30% of their standard trade in rate for a game that they give only $5 for, just gets you $1.50 more, which is crap! You can take that game and post it on ebay, and will likely get $20 or even more for it. So you GameStop [censor]-kissers can take your 30% extra BS trade offers, and stuff it back up your sh!tholes, you [censor]s!
    People should get together in large riot sized gangs and invade their local GameStops all wearing ski masks and other disguises, and go on a free for all looting spree! That is the righteous justice that GameStop deserves! GRR..!!

• Gh
    G.Harrison May 28, 2010

Gamestop does not take advantage of people ignorance your sister should have known what she was buying if she was putting down 200 or more dollars on a console. You should have been there since she wasn't tech savvy and they do not return brand new games or consoles i hear people complain about opened "new" games and now your complaining about not returning a brand new item? you people should have not opened it if it was still seal then they would gladly returned it so your victims of your own stupidity have a nice life.

• At
    A .Tirado Mar 27, 2010

My wife bought a new nintendo ds lite from gamestop for $129.99 for herself on her birthday .She thought she was getting the new nintendo ds lite (i) .big difference right ? but one has wifi . she tried to return it the next day with reciept for cash back or exchange to get the correct one .A young disrespectful manger informed us that alll we could do is sell it used for $40 trade in value we were outraged the manager did tell us the return policy is on the back of the reciept which you obviously get after you purchase a item and small cardboard standup on th counter (the manager had to move other standups that were blocking it).The box was open because my wife checks to make sure that whatever she bought is in there, stranger things have happened.But the way we were treated and the hard earned money spent on these expensive items justify a fair policy or be made aware of gamestops shady and mostly unordinary return policy on large electronic purchases(post a big sign like most reputable franchises.In the end gamestop gave her $32 for it and we paid about $100 to never shop there again and I would advise you too ! Walmart, Bestbuy, Kmart anywhere but gamestop .GAMESTOP YORK PA GALLERIA MALL AND EAST MARKET ST from MR and MS TIRADO [email protected]

Jahad1 Dec 07, 2009

gamestop is a rip you go to trade in games to them they do everything quick and give $15 dollars and when your like oh h!!! no i want them back they "sorry can't do that agaist policy" wtf you got it in your hand still i want my s!!! back but they still took it now i go on ebay for everything love it never been happier

Charlied72 Oct 25, 2009

Really game stop should take it back BUT your sister should not buy something and open it if she has no clue. Your sisters ignorance is at fault not gamestop.

Charlied72 Oct 25, 2009

No your wrong. Game stop runs a business not a charity. It's your right not to shop there but that is how game stop makes its money. Great Great business if you ask me. They won't close anytime soon they are posting some pretty good numbers. The person traded in your games did his job right and that's a bad experience? Sell your games on ebay or amazon. Ignorance