F.R.C.Scam advertising!

I got the same yellow postcard, but mine has an 877 number and then the control number under it. I went online to yellowpages.com and it came up with no results for F.R.C. in Clearwater, FL. So then I went to Google and typed in the name and address of the company and found this site. I figured it was a scam because I have never sent anything to Clearwater, FL ever and I don't know any Michell Barbaa. Not only that 877 numbers aren't always free.

• La
    ladym Oct 07, 2009

i got the same card today, i new there was something wrong. thanks everyone. did anybody call bbb about this?

• Ro
    RoyceFM Jul 21, 2009

I do not have Capital One but just recently joined FaceBook, and got a card today.

• Ab
    [email protected] Jun 19, 2009

[redacted] Verified Safe
    I received a yellow post card in the mail from Clearwater, Fl. It was addressed to me and it said 'We are trying to reach you with Good News! It is really important that you call us. Call toll free [protected]. Control #[protected] Thanks Michelle Barbaa Call 10 am to 8:30 pm EST Monday thru Friday'

The first thing that I wanted to know was what the company wanted with me and what kind of company that it was, so I searched for it and found this web site. I wouldn't have called the number anyway due to the fact that if it seems too good to be true it usually is. I found that other people have gotten yellow post cards and reported the company as scam artists. This company used the name F.R.C. and the address 1381 S Missouri Ave, Clearwater, Fl. Apparently this company has been doing this for a long time because the address on my post card and the name did not match any of the other reports that I read so they must change their names and addresses frequently. I decided to post this so other people could see that the name and address is different and that the company was trying to scam people by changing their information on a regular basis.

Received 06 19 2009
    Greenville SC
    joe

• By
    Byron Potter Jun 03, 2009

Like meny of you, I got that very same YELLOW CARD from Clearwater Fl. It is nothing but a SCAM. Rip it up and throw it away. IT IS TRASH!!!

• Rl
    RLK Jun 02, 2009

I received this same yellow card in the mail yesterday 6/1/09. I live in Austin, Texas. This is a scam. I wish they would stop sending this junk mail to me. When I never gave any of my information to anyone. How did they get this information unless they went to a mailing list that they purchase. I don't know any Michelle Barbaa in Clearwater, FL..
    and I have never heard of F.R.C. until on went onto this online. Our local news here in Austin has been mentioning alot about this scam and how these people trying to get our money and our Social Security and bank accounts and stealing our idenity and money from our bank accounts. Don't ever give out this information to anyone. I suggest you file this with the Better Business Beureau and if you have a news channel like Austin does 7 on yourside will investigate this scam. Good luck! This is just another scam. DON'T DO IT.
    Austin, TX -BZ

• Tr
    Tracy May 19, 2009

My husband and i use to have a capital one card and we canceled it and have moved twice since having it and we received this yellow card in the mail. I receive scams in the mail at least once a month, so i check everything out that i don't recognize. Our residence was built just two or three years ago. Sounds like they target new addresses and capital one customers. I think any organization can get a public mailing list from the U.S. postal service for mail advertisement. I read that some companies lose privilages due to false advertisement, the postal service has a code ethics. Capital one is a very dishonest company and they have lawsuits against them all the time. google Capital one settlements or lawsuits. I met someone years after we canceled our Capital one card and they had a class action lawsuit against them with a group of friends.

johnrecover May 12, 2009

Here it is 5/12/09 and the scam is back in the mail again. It is the exact same card posted and it is going around at least in California almost 2 years later.

• Lo
    Lorraine Apr 27, 2009

I am glad io checked this out it seems a lot of these types of things are getting out. I decided to check this out first because a while back i had gotten an email from someone saying their client has left me $5 million but she would tell me who it was and that it needed to be kept a secrect...lets just say i never responeded to that one either.

• Ve
    Veronica Apr 14, 2009

I just got that yellow card yesterday in the mail. I got a Best Buy credit card about a month ago, could that have anything to do with why I received this card? Has anyone actually called this Michelle Barbaa?

• Ca
    Cassie Apr 13, 2009

I just got one of these stupid cards today and knew better than to call but decided to look it up to see if I could find who gave up my info... I've had a Capitol One card for less than three months.
    Lovely.

• Sc
    scam profiler Apr 09, 2009

We just got a new credit card through bank of america and that is about only flag that could have set them off, How can the law enforcement in this country allow scam artists such as this to exist? Their info is obviously coming from recently updated credit reports, therefore, using that as a pool of clients to pilfer and take advantage of. In this economy, actions like this should be prosecuted the same as a drug dealer or liquor store that sells to an intoxicated individual. Praying on recent cardholders only begs struggling families to be taken advantage of and furthering this bad economy and loss of homes and breakups of families. Death to such practices I say!!

Jordan Mar 31, 2009

I just want everyone to know that unfortunately, everyone's address is public knowledge. Though many of you have capital one credit cards, that has nothing to do with it. I do not have one, and still got the letter. What it really comes down to is the fact that in the 1960's the free reporting act was passed, which means, unless you are on the national scrub list, which I assume that none of us are, it is completely legal for any scam company or individual to contact you with any number of bogus offers...Your banks can all put you on the national scrub list. It is a free service. Have a nice day.

• Cu
    curiouscat Mar 30, 2009

I'm sorry, I just can't take this company seriously when the "manager" doesn't know enough grammar rules to type sentences properly or spell words correctly. There is no way you could have been through enough education to be the manager of a legitimate company if you don't know the different uses of "then" and "than" or how to spell "referring" properly.

I have taken the advice of those who have called the number on the yellow postcard and thrown mine away. I do not agree with companies that attempt to trick people out of their money, and whether or not this company's manager agrees, I believe that the people who take the time to research their mail before blindly accepting offers as legitimate are being much less "lazy" than (that's the proper use of "than" by the way) the people this company is trying to target.

I also don't believe that a legitimate company would resort to backlash on a website such as this. I would imagine a company having consumer trouble would rather publicly deny such "false accusations" via a major news source, not only allowing them to refute the accusations but also gaining their company a little bit of free advertising in the process. I understand, though, that a company such as this would rather attempt to gain customers through insults on a message board than through more acceptable methods.

All I am curious about is how the company had my mailing address in the first place. If Kevin could answer this question instead of telling me why I should listen to him over my gut feeling, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Marla Singer Mar 29, 2009

I have also just received the post card. I have no credit history aside from student loans, so I assume the information is coming from those bank holders.

And, while I agree with some of the details above, good news does not come from the middle of nowhere on a mysterious postcard written by someone I've never heard of. No, I don't believe everything I read on the internet. I also don't believe everything I read in the mail. If this business truly is legitimate, I feel that they could represent themselves much better.

• Te
    teresa newman Mar 17, 2009

hi i just got the same post card with it's important that you call me toll free and it had a control number on it also and it was signed thank you michelle barbaa i think something should be do about this i was going to call them but i looked it up on the internet and i found a bunch of thing listed on this company it also said the time to call please dont answer to this post card
    thnk you
    teresa newman

• Ke
    Kevin Stoffel Mar 11, 2009

Look guys. I know you are all concerned about your info. It is NOT a scam. Do your research. We have a website. You avid Googlers should have no problem finding that too.
    Feel free to actually read it instead of only reading what you see on boards like this one.
    Our company does marketing for several other companies. The call, and information is FREE.

We do sell some different programs, and if you wanted to purchase one of those program, obviously we would need a credit card, debit card, or checking account to make a purchase of one of those programs, however there is no obligation for you to take advantage of any of those offers. Just like when you see an advertisement on TV. If you wanted to hear info about the "Ab-flex" for example (which by the way is not affiliated with us, I'm using it as a example since it's a well known product) then you would call them, and they would try to sell you on that product. IF you decided that you wanted to purchase it, then you would have to provide them with billing information. Same thing with us. Anyone who posted that we asked about their credit card FORGOT to mention that prior to that, they had opted to take advantage of, and had said "yes" to receiveing one of our offers.

A lot of people get scared these days when being asked for credit/debit information, which is completely understandable, and it is a good thing to be a cautious consumer, since there are a lot of people out there who simply want to steal your information, but our company is not one of them. We are affiliates of several multi-million dollar corporations, and we, like any other company, have to follow all federal and state guidelines for marketing, mailing, and billing. No laws are being broken by our company, and no harm will fall upon you, or your information from dealing with us. Customer satisfaction and security are top priorities, and all customer information is put into secured files, and all verification calls are recorded for both ours and your protection.

We are aware of what is being said about us out there, and most of it is not true. Unfortunately though, thanks to the internet, people have become lazy and are more inclined to believe what they see on the internet, rather then calling and listening for themselves. Just like when we were kids, and our parents told us not to believe anything we saw on TV, the internet has now become the new information media. So let me take that warning a step further, and say "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

I suppose it doesn't really matter what we say here, since the type of person who comes to boards like this one and posts incorrect information without calling the company first, usually aren't the kind of person who can make correct decisions for themselves anyhow. So my advice is, if you are truly interested in finding out for yourself why we sent you a postcard, then call us up, listen, and make up your own mind. If you don't plan on making a purchase, don't say YES when we ask you if you want to buy one of those programs.
    Also, don't let maudova, or Steve-Jenkins, or complaints-board make your mind for you. If you make decisions solely by what you read on the web, then you probably shouldn't have a credit card anyways.

As a side note, if you DO find yourself getting caught by someone who is misrepresenting them-self in order to steal your information, still try to relax. Your credit companies and banks are required to back you up %100 against fraud, and in the event that someone did scam you into charges that you really did not agree to, call the number on the back of your card, and they will help you resolve the problem.

Also, there IS another company out there with the same initials, FRC (Family READERS Club), and a lot of posts on the web that are replies to posts about our company, FRC (Family READING Club), are actually reffering to their company, which is in no way affiliated with us.

Thanks.
    Kevin M. Stoffel - trainer/manager - F.R.C Clearwater.

• Pa
    paul Mar 06, 2009

I rec'd one of these yellow "Good news" (?) cards from frc addressed to my wife. Like a sap, I called the [protected] # on the card and got some lady with a sweet voice speaking in a southern accent stringing me along from the $100, 000 sweepstakes asking me to visualize what I'd do with the $ (as a tease) then she went to the car, vacation, whatever. Then offering me 3 free issues each of 4 popular culture oriented mags, then I would have to agree to a "reduced" rate of $3.97/mag. Told her I don't want any more bills and don't have time to read all the mags I have. She bore down reiterating what a "good deal" this is. I was adamant. Then she blurted "Good luck" sarcastically, and hung up abruptly. I had asked her how she got my wifes name and address. She said this was because my wife had bought something on line. This is a lie, because my wife is computer illiterate. Once before, I rec'd a similar solicitation, and without my approval or even knowledge of, they then subscribed me to 24 different magazines to be billed later. They repeated back my ph # to me, so they have caller display block override, like the 911 #s. Took lots of time to look up all the 1-800-... customer service #s to cancel 24 unwanted unsolicited subscriptions. Anyway, I got 24 "free" mags out of it, but only one was worth reading (The Economist). Like a sap, I had given them my E-mail address, and immediately, I started getting 10-15 scam spams (give us your bank acct #, and we will make you rich...) a day. Had to close that E-mail acct and open another.

• Ne
    neko512 Feb 25, 2009

Oh no, I just signed up for Capital One (A month ago) and have been living at this address for over 10 years and never received anything like this before. Capital One sucks (which I already knew) but they were also the only people that would give me a credit card since I have absolutely no credit history.
    I think I'll call and scam them a bit...

• Ca
    Cassie Feb 23, 2009

I just got this postcard in the mail today. I too just moved here and have a capital one credit card. This is incredible. I'm going to pay off that stupid credit card and give them a piece of my mind. Thanks everyone for posting about this.

• Ka
    kawazaki Feb 21, 2009

hello! i am X from Dallas TX, I received a little yellow card in the mail yesterday, i was in France for 17 years, it means i don't have any credit history, i had received a capital one credit card just in the last 2 months, and i discovered something, that the toll free number is not a (phone number) it is YOUR NAME IN THEIR COMPUTER, if you call them they will know that X is calling, cos we have different toll free numbers. 02/21/09

• Al
    alli Feb 10, 2009

thats really scary, i got the same thing. im really careful about my personal info, is there anyway these people can get ahold of my SSN or credit card info?

• Al
    allie Feb 10, 2009

The way they get your information (I received a postcard too) is either your credit card company is selling your information (which should be illegal, but is not. Request from your bank your information be kept private) or they are buying it from dmv/various websites that sell your information. (there are websites out there that have your address, birthdate, etc and will give them to anyone who pays)

I suggest reporting them, getting the word out it's a scam, or everybody just keep calling them until their phone lines or service get too expensive with prank phonecalls.

• Bo
    bond007 Jan 28, 2009

I got this Yellow Post Card in mail too yesterday.

It said in the exact same wordings that they are trying to reach with some Good News. I would anyways wouldn't have called them, but wanted to know more about them and hence my first reaction was to Google them. Nothing but complaints about them turned up on the web.

what bugs me is, how did they get my information ? What other private information do they have about me ?
    How do I get off their list, I see no point in calling them.

• Sh
    Shelly Dec 03, 2008

I received this card as well and I do NOT have a capital one card but also moved within the last couple months and I've barely given out my new address, only to change it with my bank and phone company etc...

Jon Kurt Dec 01, 2008

I have received a yellow card in the mail from some "Michell Barbaa" from "F.R.C" 1381 S Missouri Ave, Clearwater, FL [protected] .The phone # [protected] .
    This is a "scam".
    "Don't call or send your personal information to anyone!"
    Also, if you received a lettel from Amerecord from Hollywood, it's a Scam!
    ----"DO NOT SEND YOR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE"----

Anonymous Nov 23, 2008

JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO ALL WHO POSTED... OF COURSE, I GOT THE YELLOW CARD TOO AND IN TODAY'S WORLD, I KNOW BETTER THAN TO BE BLINDED BY SOMETHING LIKE THIS. Question ------> Has anyone contacted the company "familyreadingclub.com" and voiced a complaint/concern?

• Gi
    gianni Nov 21, 2008

gianni here, (not my real name) Just got the same yellow card in the mail, F.R.C. Clearwater FL etc.

I DO NOT have a Capital One card, I have however, a Bank Of America Visa, and Chase Visa cards that I recently applied for. I think all the credit card companies would gladly sell out your info because "Wowie! it makes them more money$$"

• Le
    Leslie Nov 14, 2008

I just recently got a capitol one card and I got this yellow paper too. I'm glad I looked it up online before calling.

• We
    Wes Nov 10, 2008

I too have just received my new yellow card from Michelle Barbaa via FRC, I've also been receiving a ton of "pre-approved!" letters from capitol one ever since I had to get a Capitol One business card in my name for the company I work for. I also have just moved to this house less than four months ago... from another country! How do these ### get away with this ###?!? I'm filing a complaint with capitol one and the company I work for, this can't be legal since I never signed for the card or even received a disclosure agreement. The company put me in for one without my knowledge by the way.

• Mu
    Muhammad Ali Malik Nov 07, 2008

Me too have a Capitol One Banking account and I also have received the same Yellow card with every thing same on it. So that's it it means. Our information is leaking from capitol One Bank, damn.

• Mi
    Mic Oct 30, 2008

i got one today in the mail from a michelle barbaa F.R.C. 1381 missouri ave clearwater, fl so i guess they are changing the name up, i have a capital one and bank of america card but i have moved to two diff. states in the past 2months and havent changed my adress from any of the three to the one im presently in now... besides a best buy credit card i applied for here and recieved. So im sure these scam artists are getting there information from plenty of companinies.. so i recommend just throwing the card away

• Ni
    NINA Oct 22, 2008

oh my gosh, , I just got that yellow postcard with so called good new..which from what I see its just a scam I am so glad i googled it before calling. I dont have a capital credit card, and I have only been living in this address for a month.. so I wonder how my information was retrieved, its kind of scary to know how easily ones' info can be retrieved...

• Ly
    Lyle Oct 15, 2008

Just got one of these yesterday. I was wondering how someone could have gotten my new address, seeing as how I had just moved out for college. I figure it may have something to do with the fact that I just signed up for a card with Bank of America.

chris Oct 14, 2008

yea i received a yellow card saying good news clearwater, fl Danielle Craft yea i thought it was ### thats why i googled it thanks

• Sy
    sykr Oct 10, 2008

I read some of the comment that was posted by some of u saying that they got the our info from Capital One. This seems strange then cos i don't even own a Capial one credit card. But about a year a ago they kept sending me the preapprove to get their credit card. So is it true that Capital One is the one who get our info out to this scam company.

The card i card is not from Michelle Babaraa but from Daielle Craft. So if someone got this this kind of card w/different name keep others posted, please. Do not the scam cheat any of us.

What should i do if the Capital One share my info w/the company?

• Sk
    Sky Oct 06, 2008

I found the website for F.R.C.

HAve FUn ; )

• Sk
    Sky Oct 06, 2008

I think the common thread is indeed Student Loans. I just applied for finacial aid through my school and I got this BS yellow post card a week later.

Mario Sep 29, 2008

I got the famous yellow post card today. Right off the bat it looks suspicious, I have never sent anything to Clearwater, FL and it doesn't say what it is all about. The only difference is that someone named "Danielle Craft" is the person trying to rip me off. Another interesting thing is that I also have a Capital One card like some of you do. I've had it for about a year and a half and I hadn't received anything suspicious like this until today. Pretty pathetic scam by the way.

• St
    Steve Sep 26, 2008

Taaa Daaaaa. After reading though this. I do believe this is from student loans. I have had a Capital One card for a long time. I have never had a yellow card. Until my College changed how we did our student loans and then it showed up.

Maybe this is how the government is coming up with money for the bail out. lol!

Throw it away. Not much can be done about this. People's information can be found through public documents very easily. I'm a skip tracer for a living. All I need is a name and any number or address or association or even email and I am able to find all of your past addresses, phone numbers, and family information. Damn internet. I only find the evil doers though. (delinquent customers for banks)

jose Sep 25, 2008

i got the same yellow post card and i was like wtf i dont recall me sending any info to such company...
    i went to the internet and googled "f.r.c and the mailing adress and i found out it was a scam... the good thing i didnt give any info the weird thing wass the 877 toll free nuber i knew there was some fishy about all this yellow card...so if yall get one dnt pay attention to it jst through it away adn dnt give any info ..