Family Dollar Storesemployee

S Nov 09, 2019 Review updated:

Today I went into my neighborhood family dollar where I shop frequently never had issue until today I walk in to get household supplies and an employee by the name nicole Carroll told me I have to leave MY purse upfront I'm confused like why do I have leave my belongings upfront it's not a shopping bag from another store because if it was I usually will sit it upfront with no problem.. so I ask why do I have to leave my purse up front? Her response was because its large so I ask why no other family dollar suggested it?? I'm completely appaulld and embarrass she made it seem like I was a thief which I'm not I came there to spend my hard earn money... I feel like because I was african American and it's a low income neighborhood she assumed that I will steal...that's not how you should treat your customers... oh she has a large bag she gonna steal no I have a large bag because that's what I like it's my style of fashion...is this a new rule assume a customer is gonna steal because their purse size or skin color ??? she also was very rude and nasty .. I did leave out I feel like I'm not gonna spend my money some where if they cant trust me and why would I leave my purse up front with someone I don't know??? I'm highly upset about this situation ..pls retrain your employees..
My email address is [protected]@gmail.com

Nov 09, 2019

I just knew, as I started to read this, I would get to the part where you would play the race card. It's so convenient to blame everything on race. Waaahhh! Someone looked at me wrong so they must be a racist!

Pathetic!

Look, a lot of these crappy stores like Family Dollar don't allow people with large bags to carry them inside the store. Why? Because they have a lot of theft. No one cares that you are black! There is a CVS in my city that doesn't allow people OF ANY COLOR, to carry any kind of bags. This is because their shrinkage loss was forcing them to have to consider shutting down.

• K
      Nov 09, 2019

You could have just ignored them. Stores can not unilaterally decide that you must leave large bags up front. Most customers have no problem leaving them up front, but what is the store going to do if you don't. They can't call the police or anything until you have already stolen something.

Nov 09, 2019

@Kmart 9459 It's private property. They can implement the rule if they like and if someone refuses to follow it, yes they can call the police. Personally, I've been in stores where they wanted large handbags/backpacks left upfront. I'm not willing to comply, so I simply left and shopped elsewhere.

• K
      Nov 09, 2019

@Everywhere It maybe private property, but it is open to the public. It's like that manager of the Starbucks in Philadelphia last year who called the police on those 2 black men and had them removed from the store by police for simply not making a purchase. That manager is now likely homeless and not hire able anywhere, or had to commit suicide. Starbucks had to spend millions of dollars retraining employees to ensure it doesn't happen again on top of the lawsuit settlements. I'd say even that manager still has unpaid settlements that they will never be able pay to those 2 individuals.

Nov 10, 2019

@Kmart 9459 I'm not familiar with the Starbucks situation and based on what you described, it's two entirely different scenarios. There is no comparison.

If you honestly think a store can't implement a policy forbidding customers from shopping with oversized bags, I suggest you just ask an attorney. The store can implement that policy as long as it doesn't single out people based on race, religion, national origin, etc. Customers can choose to shop elsewhere if they don't like it.

•   Nov 10, 2019

IM not even going to touch the ridiculous racism bs because its just pointless...

im with you on the not leaving your pocketbook up front. however, I also understand where the store is coming from. I work in the south Bronx and even with our own pushcarts, we have to leave them up front and take a number. other stores, too. leave your bags upfront and take a number whereas your bags go into a cubby or get clipped with the same number. here I am white in a low income area and I still have to abide by the store rules. it aint your skin, lady!!!

with the pocketbook I would have refused, saying this is your PERSONAL VAULT. you must have this with you at all times to protect its contents and your identity.