Equitable Acceptanceill informed information

I attended a bridal show in Evansville, IN and registered for all kinds of give-aways and prizes. I was phoned about two weeks after the event stating that I had been selected as a winner of a "free" trip, all I had to do was attend a cooking display show with my fiancé and pay for airfare, everything else was free. We attended the show and decided to purchase the beginner set of pots and pans from the show. Don't get me wrong, I still have the pots and pans and we use them everyday to cook with. I know that they are healthier and better to cook with. I really do enjoy the product. The problem is with the information Simplicity Bridals gave us. Their representative told us that the bridal promotion was 0% interest for one year, and after that one-year the payments would go up due to interest starting to accumulate. I take notes on everything, and did so that night, I know with everything in me that is what we were told at the showing. It is the only reason that we decided to purchase the set. When the bills from Equitable Acceptance began arriving every month in the mailbox there was a 24% interest being charged from day one. I quickly phoned both Simplicity Bride and Equitable Acceptance to report the issue. Both said, "Their representative would never promote such a deal, because they do not offer anything like that." I spent weeks phoning back and forth from both companies, offered to send the pots and pans back (they were still in the box) and even offered to pay them a re-stock fee just to not have that kind of interest on something. I was livid, and still get upset when I think about it. It has been almost 2 years since then, and I still am paying for the pots and pans. It has been next to impossible to catch up that kind of interest and it was not enough money to try to get a lawyer involved. I don’t believe that Simplicity should be allowed to be involved in such an industry. Brides and grooms both have high stress and wild emotions during the planning process and Simplicity is taking advantage of such an influential industry.

• Ga
    ga-newlywed Apr 27, 2010

I feel like my wife and I were duped as well. I wish there had been more information on the company online prior to us going to the demonstration.

We were sucked in by the free stuff. What did we have to lose was our attitude. We had no intention of buying anything. I felt very strongly about that going in.

2. Their sales pitch is slick. We had a "young struggling sales guy and his girlfriend who had come along for the ride". Easy to connect to and you feel like you want to help them out. I wonder how many other people saw a similar demonstration with similar characters. This company knows how to sell and who will connect with the young couples they target.

3. They talk extensively about how much better the food is when cooked in these pans both from a taste perspective and a health perspective. Magically, the food even cooks faster. When they start scaring people with all the bad toxic elements that are in all other pans (except theirs), that should have been a huge red flag. It's guilt - what am I doing to my body? They make you feel like an insider. Don't abuse your body, buy these pans.

I am not a scientist. Maybe their claims are true. Now outside of their sales environment I am more than skeptical.

4. There's no time to waste. You can't just leave this demonstration and do some digging and see if all their claims are true. They want you to commit now or you will lose the opportunity and special pricing along with the useless free trips, etc. There is a big push at the end to get you to commit. They must know that once people are out of their sales haze that there is no way someone would spend $2000 on these pots.

5. Can't afford to spend $2000 on pots? That's OK. No credit, we'll work to try to get you some. And you can put the pots on your wedding registry and just have your wedding guests pay for them. So a couple things at play here. First of all, people with no credit tend to jump at the chance when offered some. It's just human nature. What? I qualify? Second, if I can put it on my registry and have others pay for them, great.

NOT GREAT. Whether you pay for them or someone else does, you are still paying $2000 for pots and pans that I just don't feel are worth $2000. And if they were, why couldn't you walk out of that high pressure sales environment, done some research and then purchased them at the same deal?

6. FINANCING - Equitable Acceptance will be happy to extend financing to anyone that applies. No credit, no problem. In my case, I had no US credit having recently moved to the US from Canada. They accepted me. I am also assuming that they would accept someone with bad credit but don't know this for sure.

So we sign up and the payments are 50% off for the first year. Our wedding is a couple months away and our guests will be buying them so why not? Here's why not. First of all, the 50% payments do nothing to pay down the principal. It barely covers the 18 to 30% interest you will pay. At the end of the year and $600 in payments we actually owed more on our pots than when we started. So now we're talking $2600 pots and pans. And no, while we got a lot of great gifts, nobody went to the link and put money towards our pots and pans.

Equitable Acceptance is the worst financing company I have ever dealt with and I assume it is because they are into high risk lending. They will diligently ding your credit for being 1 day late. So don't ever be late. And if you are late by a day or more you'll pay a $10 late fee. And most important and most annoying, they charge you for the privilege of making a payment over the phone. Check the contract but I think it was $6 to $15. So basically, DO NOT sign up with this company if there is ANY chance you might ever be a day or more late on a payment. They will very quickly destroy your credit. And understand that unless you like paying extra fees on top of the high interest they charge, make sure that check is in the mail long before your due date.

I am not 100% sure but did read online that Equitable the finance company and New Era and Simplicity Gourmet all have the same owners. If not, they share a close relationship obviously. Equitable being just the finance company will not take responsibility for problems with the pots and New Era and Simplicity Gourmet get their money as soon as you sign on the dotted line.

7. Most important, the Pots. How are they? The very first time we used these pots food immediately began sticking to them. And as things were sticking, things burned. After an hour of cleaning I got the pot clean but it has forever been stained - a wonderful memory of our first time using them. They are hard to clean, food sticks to them. A real pain to work with.

I am really not too sure if these pots are any healthier than all the other pots out there. That was the main reason we bought them.

In closing - take my advice and save yourselves thousands of dollars. Learn from my very big mistake and temporary stupidity. Do not attend these cooking class / seminars. If you do, do not waste thousands of dollars on this product. Do some research and find your pots and pans elsewhere.

Another Sucker Born May 04, 2010

My wife and I were also duped into buying pots and pans from a slick selling coward in Massachusettes. Besides having the same issues that everyone else has already mentioned, the screws keep coming out of the handles on our pots and pans. I called the company and they told me that is very unlikely and they were not going to do anything about it to help me. They told me I had to pay to ship them back to them to get the screws tightened. I'm not paying to ship them so they can simply tighten the screws I can do that myself. I can not afford to hire a lawyer nor would it really be worth it. So I guess I am stuck with them. I suggest people look into this company before going to get their free stuff at shows. Good luck to everyone.
    Eric
    NH

ashling3351 Jun 23, 2010

HEY HERES AN IDEA READ YOUR CONTRACT, I BET EACH ONE OF YOU WERE TOO STUID TO READ YOUR CONTRACT. EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW IS IN THE CONTRACT. OH AND HERE'S ANOTHER IDEA IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND ASK. I HAVE READ THEIR CONTRACT AND EVERYTHING IS LAID OUT IN BLACK AND WHITE FOR SOMEONE WHO IS ACTUALLY SMART ENOUGH TO READ IT. AND BY THE WAY. SIMPLICITY GOURMET AND EQUITABLE ARE 2 COMPLETELY SEPERATE COMPANIES. EVERYONE NEEDS TO GROW UP AND ACT LIKE ADULTS AND READ THINGS BEFORE YOU SIGN THEM!!!

ashling3351 Jun 23, 2010

IN REPLY TO :Last point about Equitable - they will report you to the credit bureaus the second that you are late. They will phone your relatives and phone your work. They are extremely agressive in their collections - so again, do not buy these pots and pans if you think you will ever be late on a payment.

DAMN RIGHT THEY DO YOU SIGNED A SECURED CONTRACT LIKE A HOME LOAN PAY YOUR [censor]ING BILLS AND YOU WONT GET CALLED. DUH! ALSO GUESS WHAT? IF YOU PAY YOUR [censor]ING BILLS ON TIME IT WONT BE REPORTED ON YOUR CREDIT. R U REALLY ALL THAT STUPID?

ashling3351 Jun 23, 2010

AND ANYONE WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH TO PAY 3, 000$ FOR COOKWARE SHOULD GET WHAT IS COMING TO THEM.

ashling3351 Jun 23, 2010

IN REPLY TO : Equitable Acceptance is the worst financing company I have ever dealt with and I assume it is because they are into high risk lending. They will diligently ding your credit for being 1 day late.

STUPID YOU HAVE TO BE 30 DAYS LATE. DO MORE "RESEARCH" AND DONT BUY [censor] YOU CANT AFFORD.

ashling3351 Jun 23, 2010

LATE FEES ARE BASED ON THE STATE YOU LIVE IN AND THE FEE TO BE A PYMT BY PHONE IS ALWAYS $5 AND A CARD DEPENDS ON STATE AND HOW MUCH YOUR PAYMENT IS GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE DO [censor]ING STUPID!!!

ashling3351 Jun 23, 2010

IN REPLY TO 1. Free Stuff - they get you there with offers of all kinds of free things. Travel deals mainly. The thing is, to claim your free prizes you have to pay fees, be able to travel on specific dates and often times pay your airfare. There really was nothing free about anything that was offered.

NO ONE GIVES ANYTHING AWAY FOR FREE? WOULD YOU? GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE SO NAIEVE

• Me
    memaw01 Aug 19, 2010

ashling works for them..she is on the other complaint site to...[censor] OFF SUIT..who goes on complaint boars to stick up for the compamy... a worker thats who...LOSER

mandijoe2 Oct 14, 2011

Harrassing phone calls

At all hours of the day

Has even contacting my family and friends with the same harrassing phone calls

• Is
    Isabel Rodriguez Dec 22, 2014

Equitable is the worst company ever!! My family recently bought a rainbow vacuum from there and the ###ing sales person was really nice and everything but he knew how to take advantage of my family since my parents don't speak english so he was smart enough to sell them the ###ing rainbow without telling them to read the contract or anything i was there and i was translating for them but the smart guy told us that we would pay directly to his ###ing company not to a finance corporation and he never said that the ###ing interest rate would be so high, 18%. so after two months that my parents started to pay for that ###, they noticed that the amount was not being lowered and they called Equitable to see what was going on and the guy at the costumer service was rude as hell and he just said "You should have read the contract because the sales person has no obligation to read it to you" and I reply "but he should explain everything before saying that we would pay to his store instead of this corporation. If we knew it was a loan directly from a company we would never get that vacuum" and he replied "Well read the contract" and I couldn't get another answer. so i just ended the called and yeah was treated so irrespecutful and rude. Seriously Equitable Corporation if you are going to have such rude employees don't even ###ing waste you time saying all fancy words trying to dump people into buying your ###!!! WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

• By
    Byron Elder Apr 01, 2016

warning about Rainbow vacuum and cooking Frauds! Who stole the company cause I knew who name is Darren Russell, Joesph Falsetto, and Andres They frauds to Deaf people Please stop them! thank you