DS Services of AmericaFraudulent billing practices

M Apr 25, 2020

I signed up for Sparkletts through Costco. I didn't mind paying 7 bucks per bottle but I saw a bill that should have been $28 turn into $48. They have a water dispenser rental charge, energy charges and a bunch of random fees. I told them from the beginning that I didn't want the water cooler because I already had one that I personally owned.

I couldn't keep up with drinking all the water so I would call a few days before my delivery date to decrease my order and the phone representative would happily make the adjustment but then they would still deliver the water even when I had requested to skip delivery for that particular occurrence. I reported this to them to ensure better practices. On top of this, on other occasions I would even get charged for water that wasn't even delivered to me. For example Overcharged for water for instance 2 bottles when I only requested 1.

I would call to get the matter fixed and the representative would "fix" the problem over the phone but then I would see my next bill in the mail with added late fees. The fees grew at an alarmingly exorbitant rate like $30-$40 bucks. At first I kept paying my bill even though the amount "owed" were padded or fraudulent charges. Because I didn't always have the time, energy or wherewithal to micromanage the billing I was not always so keyed into this matter. But then it seemed that whenever i thought I had paid off my bill it had a way of doubling or tripling by the next bill because of "late" fees. At that point I cancelled the service. A few days later the bill had gone up 5 times to like $150 or so. I called the company to straighten things out. They claimed zero responsibility for the fraudulent charges. I didn't want to deal with the problem anymore, so I told them I would just pay it off for my sanity but I would need a few days to gather the money. When I had gathered enough money 10-14 days later, I called to pay it off but they told me it's in collection and they can't accept my money. And now this collection company says I "owe" close to $500 bucks. And it has tarnished my otherwise good credit. I'm at a loss for what my next steps are. I think it is wrong what the company is doing. And I am not the exception, if you read the yelp or google reviews you will see that there are countless others with similar stories as mine. These fraudulent billing practices needs to stop. Furthermore, the "late" fees need to be addressed it seems they have a short billing cycle so that the customer is always in arrears.