Darkstar Communications LLCRenewal

M

This company provides servers for using Ventrilo and other voice chat servers. They have a very underhanded renewal policy. They require 24 hrs notice before your renewal period if you want to cancel your account, but the only email you receive is on the day of the renewal, which is considered too late. They then try to bully you and threaten legal action, including harming your credit. If you argue it enough, they'll offer a 30% buy out.

If they truly cared about their customers, they would send out a renewal notice by email (or snail mail) atleast a week in advance of the renewal date. Instead, they only send internal messages within their website. I'm sorry, but that's not good enough.

In my situation, someone gave me the account. I never agreed to any terms, I just renamed the account, address, and email. Nothing ever made me agree to any terms. This company should be forced to send renewal information via email or snail mail giving enough time to cancel without harassment.

• Bo
    Bobup1 Apr 29, 2011

I've had the same problem after having an account with the company for 5 years. They've been terribly rude and as someone else here mentioned tried to bully me into paying for a service I no longer wanted. They never asked why I had canceled only tried to force me to pay them for a poor service.

Find another voice chat provider, avoid Darkstar like the plague. Their service of late has been terrible (repeatedly would cease to function during MMO raids) and the only update on their site was "DDoS attack". Service would be down for hours and no reimbursement for the outages.

• Sc
    scriptgain Dec 19, 2010

All the issues are normally related to billing matters and not canceling your service in time and they are willing to work with you and refund payments up to 72 hours AFTER your payment is charged or sent. If you have issues, you can always email [email protected] and they can help, it's really not that difficult, and they are subscription based, which means, your account will be auto renewed, UNLESS you submit a ticket or cancel within their panel on your own. Note that just about every single company you signup for online, is just the same, so there is nothing wrong with signing up, then canceling the service right after you signup, then it will cancel on your billing end cycle date.

• Da
    Darkstarblows Nov 16, 2009

I know for a fact that they are associated with the BBB. We filed a complaint with the BBB over their policy regarding ventrilo/website hosting and eventually got over half our money back. DO contact the BBB. It is worth the time.

• Bc
    BChicago Nov 13, 2009

I found this after canceling service. Their customer service is outstanding.

If you ever have to cancel, just do the following:
    1. Go to support site.
    2. Submit ticket.
    3. Completed.

It's really that easy. And yes, their services are subscription based. They tell you that before you sign up. It's a good thing though -- I don't want to always be worrying about my Ventrilo going off line because I forgot to pay the bill.

Also, you don't need to register to submit a ticket, as implied.

Say_no_to_Darkstar Nov 06, 2009

I have had the same issue with trying to cancel my account with Darkstar. It won't even let me create an account for the support site to submit a cancellation ticket. I have emailed them multiple times with no response. My invoice is due in a week now and I have been at this for over a month. I will never do business with them again.

• Da
    Darkstar sucks Sep 24, 2009

Darkstar has terrible customer service!! They force customers to sign up for automatic renewal and make it almost impossible to cancel your subscription. They do not offer closed end contracts. They do not respond to e-mail requests to cancel accounts. They have no address nor phone number to call. They did not send me a renewal invoice. I have sent 6 requests to close my account, even after which they attempted to charge my credit card again. Fortunately, I no longer have the credit card account they attempted to charge. They sent me e-mail threatening to report me to a collection agency. I would report them to the Better Business Bureau, however, they told me it "would do no good" because they have no affiliation with the BBB. Wow, big surprise. Avoid this company like the H1N1 virus!

• Do
    DoubleTap Jun 01, 2009

Darkstar does not care about it's customers. Only in their customers money.

John May 13, 2009

This sounds like you forgot to cancel in time, then wanted take-backsies on your payment. Learn to manage accounts if you are going to take responsibility for them. They make it pretty easy to cancel (just 24 hours notice), so it is really nobody's fault but your own. Welcome to the real world.