WordSmart / Rude customer service

1 10025 Mesa Rim RdSan Diego, CA, United States Review updated:

I purchased one product a CD to assist with SAT improving methods. A few months after the first purchase, I was mailed two other CD's (which I did not agree to purchse), then I was charged on my credit card close to $60.00 for each. When I contacted the company, the customer service rep was extremely rude and refused to give me any info for returning the product. He told me too bad. The paperword sent with the package told you there would be further products sent. It is too bad it you didn't read the letter and didn't understand. "No, you cannot send the items back, no you will not get a refund, no, you cannot talk to a supervisor." I requested to speak to a supervisor several times. He said "it is you who do not understand, there is no one who will help you or let you return the product.

I told him I did not agree to the additional purchases, he said too bad, I will stop sending you any more, but you are not going to get a refund for the items you received. If you mail it back, we will send it right back to you.

I hung up and called again. I spoke to a second person who referred me back to the first gentleman. The second time, he told me to write a letter to the Board of Directors for the company and gave me an address. He then told me I would need to follow that up with a phone call to see what happened to the letter.

Va

Comments

• Li
      13th of Aug, 2008

Mine came without a registration/serial key to use the "free eval period" unfortunately, we had several major family tragedies and was not able to call and get one in time to send it back. Then I was threatened because of non-payment. When I offered to send it back, I was refused. When I said I wasn't going to pay without at least a code to use the software, the rep became even more aggressive.

DON't Buy from these guys.

• Ds
      29th of Jan, 2009

Thank you and thanks to all the folks who've taken time to post these comments/complaints about WordSmart. I was tempted to purchase but did about 15 minutes of research on the internet about them. I'm glad I did. Haven't found any positive comments so far.

As for Mr. Trebek (not sure how to spell his name), I rarely am influenced by celebrity endorsements. I also know a little more than most about his personal life. He lived on a horse ranch near Paso Robles, CA until recently (may still) and my Aunt worked for him, caring for his horses. The grounds were incredibly lavish for the livestock and all seemed pastoral and peaceful. Unfortunately, according to my Aunt, the workers would have to practically beg for food and supplies for the horses. He didn't even recognise that straw is not nutritious and is not intended as food. His neglect for one of God's most precious animals convinced me not to trust Mr. Trebek. I remain a devoted Jeapardy fan but have lost respect for the host of the show.

Once again: thank you all for your warnings about the product. I will not be purchasing it, to say the least!

30th of Oct, 2010

Buyer beware, they make it next to impossible to return the product and the product is juvenile. My high school daughter was not interested in playing some shark game or flash cards. Maybe when she was in pre-school or grade school. Thus began the saga of return…..
    I ordered Word Smart on a trial basis on Oct 4; invoice was dated Oct 6, received product Oct 20. Reviewed, decided it was not what we wanted and began to try to get a confirmation number for return starting Oct 25, called 5 days in a row. The recording says you have to speak to someone in person. Oct 25, I was on hold for 6.25 min then the line automatically disconnects, called back and the same thing happened. Tried one more time with same result. Tried again on the 27th, 28th and finally on the 29th, after 4 attempts and 30 min later a very rude man answered. He offered to extend the review time, I said no, I just want to return it, he offered me the product at half price, I said no. He said he didn't understand because nobody returns the product. I said we were not interested; it was not what we thought it would be” He said very rudely “well didn't you know it was a vocabulary building product when you bought it" I repeated I want to return it. He started on another offer; I interrupted him and said you are making this impossible to return, not to mention it took 4 days and multiple attempts to get through. He said no we don’t you are wrong and we have been very busy because we have received over a 1000 orders this week. I repeated I want a number to return the product and I told him I was reporting the company to the BBB. He gave me the number, I was repeating it back to him and he disconnected the call. I am shipping back today and hope that the number was correct.