White Oak Press / Do not send them money

I received a letter from White Oak Press saying that they want to publish my poem in an anthology and if I want to buy the collection to send them a check. I did and ...Nothing. This is their address:

Address: WHITE OAK PRESS

2833 SMITH AVE STE 151

BALTIMORE MD [protected]

Those who have been scammed and want to open an investigation please reply. Also if you have any suggestions on this investigation and how to go about it please answer back!

I heard that they are part of Poetry America or something like that.

Money doesn't grow on trees. Unfortunately crooks are everywhere including in arts.

Va

Comments

• Lo
      23rd of Apr, 2008

I was scammed by White Oak Press Company on March. 4th, 2008. I sent a payment for my poem to be published in their suppossibly book. Only to discover that this supposibly company do not exist! I hope when the authority get to the bottom of this scam heads will roll!

• Va
      29th of Apr, 2008
    White Oak Press - What do I do now?
    White Oak Press
    www.whiteoakpress.com

A few months ago I submitted a poem and 1 week later I got a letter asking for my order etc. I ordered one book and gave them permission to publish it. I have not heard from them since. At the moment money is tight because my dad has cancer so what do I do? I now have been scammed, lied to and what about the money? Can’t anyone do anything about it? This is so frustrating on account that I trusted them as a worthy publishing or printing press that would take care of my stuff. My mom even called them before we placed the order in and they guaranteed it was safe!

• Va
      9th of May, 2008

White Oak Press sent me a letter saying that my poem was chosen to be published and all I had to do was send in 20! What a lie I sent that in over 6 months ago with no avail. BEWARE anybody who receives anything from White Oak Press, they are nothing but a scam and if you have been scammed like me, we need to somehow sue the shi* out of them and get our money back! Their website and phone number have been shut off so they must have been a fraudulent company.

15th of May, 2008

Hello !
    You are right! i have done the same thing, but I was lucky!! they couldn't charge me any penny because my bank contacted me and told me they are scams... Today i receive an email telling me this:

2833 Smith Ave., Suite #151, Baltimore, MD 21209
    Phone: 443-455-1214 Fax: 443-455-1213
    www.PoetryAmerica.com

Dear Grace,

We are currently publishing a special edition of our poetry anthology series entitled: "Reflections - A collection of short works." This series has been very popular among our audience and we would like to publish your poem in this new book.

This anthology is a collection of our better works, and we think your poem would make a nice addition. Your poem will be prominently displayed on its own page in the appropriate chapter. The book will feature approximately 200 poems.

Grace, we have arranged special pricing of only $19.95 + shipping for this unique anthology. Additional copies are further discounted. Hurry, space is limited. If you are interested in obtaining a copy containing your poetry please see the enclosed order form.

Hurry, Grace, TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS SPECIAL LIMITED TIME OFFER

(1) Print this order form and mail or fax the completed author's proof & order form to the address above along with your payment.

(2) OR Call 443-455-1214 between 9am to 5pm Eastern Time to place your order over the phone today.

15th of May, 2008

This is the "form":

"I certify that this poem is my own work."
    Initial: _______Date: ________
    Note: The copyright ownership of your poem remains your property.

Order Form

One Anthology...$19.95

Shipping & Handling...$5.00

Additional Anthologies...$14.95

Shipping & Handling... $3.00

Case of SIX Anthologies...$74.50

Shipping & Handling... $10.00

Yes, I would like to own ____copies of "Reflections - A collection of short works", which will contain my poem. I must be completely satisfied or my money will be refunded.

Payment Must Accompany Order

_____ Check or Money Order (Payable to: White Oak Press)

_____ Credit Card: Visa MasterCard Discover AmEx

AccountNumber

___ ___ ___ ___ - ___ __ __ __ - ___ ___ ___ ___ - ___ ___ ___ ___

Signature_________________________ Exp. Date___ ___/___ ___

Phone Number___________________________________________

This is the mailing address that we will be shipping your order to.

If it is incorrect please clearly mark any changes here.

• Ha
      30th of May, 2008

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS...I CANT BELIEVE I FELL FOR THT...I FRIKKIN SENT THEM 30 BUCKS...URGHHHHHH YES I WANNA GET MY MONEY BACK...THEM ###S...i tried calling the number 2 and they never called back wonder y...well if u guys need my help please email me hay_hay14@hotmail.com my names hayley swiger...

11th of Jun, 2008

I too have been scamed by this company, I was able to leave them a phone message. I also filed a complaint with the BBB in thier area:

BBB of Greater Maryland (Baltimore, MD)
    1414 Key Highway, Suite 100
    Baltimore, MD 21230-5189
    Phone: (410)347-3992
    Fax: (410)347-3936
    Email: info@greatermd.bbb.org
    Web: http://www.greatermd.bbb.org

12th of Jun, 2008

Here is a webite address for filing a online complain for internet fraud. PLEASE USE IT, We need to stop this company from doing it to any one else. I have tried to call them several times, When I tell them who I'am and why I'am calling they hang up. When I call back I get a answering machine.

PLEASE ALL WORK TOGETHER TO STOP THIS COMPANY, Also if you paid by credit card as I did call your bank, They should be able to fgiling a complaint and get your money back, 1 Last 5thing, Please contact the BBB and fil3e a complaint with them..

BBB of Greater Maryland (Baltimore, MD)
    1414 Key Highway, Suite 100
    Web: http://www.greatermd.bbb.org

bm66603@yahoo.com

14th of Jun, 2008

Hello guys,

I received by mail the same letter again!! But they're so stupids that they didn't notice what I sent them. Two months ago, I sent them a complain about why they could'nt publish my poems ( it wasn't a poem). So, they sent the complain back to me, telling me "It's a great, unique poem"!! lol..lol ...lol...they didn't even read what I wrote!!! they just print from the computer and delivered to my address. Now, it completely conviced me that they just wanted my money, what stupid way to get easy money!!!

Guys, you should be aware who you trust, many webs are here to make easy money from us. Unfurtunately, many poets like us fall in this tramp, we have to make sure they are real. I'm having a hard time to find companies who can help me to publish my poems, but they just want to make money from my works. Believe me, if you find one who can publish for free, your are lucky!! none of the publishers do it for free.

Hope, you guys dont get discourage from this mistake, if you really like to write poems dont give up!!
    This is not the end!!

Grace ;-)

15th of Jun, 2008

I have also submitted a poem and recieved the letter asking to publish. Of course, I had to buy the book which I thought to be odd because am I not supposed to get paid for my work? I was very hestitate at first but went for it anyway. I have not heard anything from them since. So my question is now that they have my peom, can they use for their own benefit rather than mine?

16th of Jun, 2008

Hello,

Let me tell you guys, you dont have to worry becuase they don't even read your poems, they just print from their computers and then they send it back back to you by mail or e-mail. I proved it! Two months ago, i tried to contact them by phone but I couldn't see any phone #, so I posted my complain where people summit their poems. I wrote a long complain, it looked like a poem but it wasn't.
    So, I received by mail the same complain that I wrote, telling me this: "its a original, unique poem, we would like to publish it... blablabla". How come they didn't read my complain? it wasn't a poem!!! lol

THEY DO NOT READ YOUR POEMS THEY ONLY THING THAT THEY ARE WAITING IS YOUR MONEY!!!

Lets keep posting complains, so that we can save other people from it, get people's money back and send them to jail!!!

17th of Jun, 2008

We too were scammed out of $174.00. I was so excited that my son was recognized for his talents that I contacted all of my family members to see if they would like to purchase a book. Of course all who love him wanted one signed by my son. We were thrilled and had planned a book signing party when the books arrived. We are heart broken that someone would prey upon hopes and dreams of others, and also that we were so gullible. I have reported them to the Iowa Attorney General, but have not heard of any consequences for White Oak Press. I paid by check so I am out of the money. It certainly has taught us a lesson as to researching a company before having faith they are legitimate. I do believe in carma, and it may not come around now, but sooner or later those who have deceived so many will pay in some way or another.

Hope good can come of this.

• Mo
      17th of Jun, 2008

I just recieved a letter in the mail. It said they would like to publish my poem "Hidden Love." I haven't mailed it back yet, but I am having second thoughts.

• Ka
      18th of Jul, 2008

omg! I got the same letter except it didn't have a "form"
    idk why...
    But now I'm wondering if I should send my work. Because it is really good, but like, what if I say it's OK to publish it... and then like, it's all over the world and internet saying that it is Poetry America's or something like that, and that they didn't put my name on it. Or something...
    Like, they might plagiorize it or something, where they put their name on it!!! My mom said she'll check it out.

• Pe
      19th of Jul, 2008

Well, I honestly just wanted to check in as I just (this morning in fact) recieved that email and ended up screaming in joy! Of course everyone gets excited by the prospect of being published. However, the link they provided to 'amend' my poem if I wanted to didn't work. Said my poem couldn't be found. So I replied to their email and asked about it, while at the same time stating my excitment at being potentially published.

Then I googled them.

Oh joy... :( Let's just say that a couple of hundred thousand complaint sites on google has done something to sway that initial happiness. So now I don't know what to do. I don't want some scam company messing with my writing, it's my passion and I don't want it associated with crap like fraud. On the same time, if they are legit I of course want to get in print and see what others have written to make the book as well... so in all honesty, have you guys heard of any good news from this company too? Are they even a publishing company? Or is this some dude in a basement with a very complex scheme?

Thanks!

L
    P

• Se
      20th of Jul, 2008

ok first of al i did some researching on all of this and im glad i did the Suite they claim they are at does not even exist in that building which means all of our money is getting forwarded to a P.O. box ive been trying for quite awhile now to find out the post office and box number but have had little success in this...the best thing for everyone to do is file a complaint with either the local police or state police of maryland and be sure you fax or send then a copy of what you have recieved in your email and if you can get a recording of then on the phone and also provide tehn with any of the phone numbers you were given the more information that we can provide and the more that file a complaint the more of a chance we have of catching these people
    here are two of the numbers i have been provided with in the past 6 moths of them sending me the same exact email(which also sent up a red flag)
    410-764-7471
    443-455-1214

• De
      29th of Jul, 2008

I received the same mailing stating my poem was chosen to be published and I could purchase the collection of poems for only $20. I fwd the funds to White Oak Press and received my book yesterday, with no problems.

• Al
      29th of Jul, 2008

I got the same letter in my email. But luckily the wonders of Google, brought me to this page. Thanks for all the information guys. I really was about to send them money!

8th of Aug, 2008

I also received a letter from White Oak Press with the same mailing address as the one listed above wanting permission to print my poem. I was so excited, it was a poem I wrote on the anniversary of the death of my mom. I agree, they need to be stopped.

• Am
      8th of Aug, 2008

Yes it soo true I got the same letter and they wanted me to send money to them but my mom made me look into them and we didn't send them a penny so i should just get my poems copyrighted so they can't use them.