Veterinary Care Unlimited / stay away

84-09 Rockaway BoulevardOzone Park, NY, United States Review updated:
1.65
Phone: 718-296-7700

I agree with previous posters. I live in the neighborhood and usually accompanied friends and their pets to this vet office. The staff is nice but the manager (I think her name is Ria? Rhea?sp) can be very mean to the staff and abrupt with clients who complain about the long wait and poor service. The receptionists are trained to be very aggressive in selling additional products and procedures, which i'm sure is not their place bec. they are not vetrinarians or vet tech. There is a bad odor in the waiting area where i spent many hours waiting for neighbors, i think it's taken for granted and the staff cannot smell it anymore? Inside the decor was old and dirty and facilities could be improved/updated. The techs are sweet but very young and inexperienced, i met a few decent technicians/asst but somehow i think this place cannot keep good employees 'coz of the work conditions and manager's constant yelling (you can hear it through the doors!). It's funny but it's sad for the animals and the owners of the pet's because they think they are paying for good service but it's not very nice. I would never bring my pet here, but that's just my opinion and everyone is welcome to try it out and form there own. BR

Comments

El
  9th of Jun, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree with these comments. This veterinary hospital is responsible for the death of my longtime friend/cat. The quality of animal care that is given at this animal hospital is way below average. Dr. Paoloni cannot manage to keep her staff, the turnover is amazing. It is basically because the hospital is run by a tyrant of an office executive - Ria. The veterinarian cannot seem to keep her under control and has now become just as embarrassing as she is. Walking into this office you can feel the unpleasantness of what will be your day long wait to see the doctor, get a quick misdiagnosis and then a very large bill at the desk. There used to be a fantastic receptionist there, Michelle, but she too was driven out by the "executive staff" to put it nicely. The quality of care is unbelievably sub-standard. I wouldn't bring a dying rat to this hospital.
Ma
  14th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
I am appalled that this site is permitted to allow any person to write whatever they so please without substantiation.
I think that legal action should be taken by Veterinary Care Unlimited. For the record, none of the accusations stated in previous e-mails are accurate and I will meet these so called "people" at the hospital face to face and ask them to show proof. I have been a client of Vet Care unlimited since 1995 and NEVER in my life have I ever heard of such nonsense that these people write about! It is so disgusting that I think this site should be shut down...lets see if you print what I have to say! Dr. Paoloni is the most kindest, competent veterinarian that I have ever met in my 72 years on this good earth. I believe that it is my mission now to bring these mean hearted liars to reap what they sow and will form a petition to make them show themselves for the cowards that they are. How can you just allow anyone to tarnish the reputation of an individual who has brought so much compassion to our community? It is downright dreadful of you!
I stand by Veterinary Care Unlimited and will challenge anyone to meet me there and show their cowardly faces. It sounds like someone has a grudge and this is the only way they can get back at the hospital...be an adult and make your complaints public knowledge and face to face...sounds like "ficticious names" to me anyway...I will get a petition together and bring notice to this awful site!! Now print this would ya??
Li
  2nd of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I HAVE BEEN A CUSTOMER OF VETCARE SINCE 1998. MY DOG AND I HAVE BEEN TREATED WITH KINDNESS AND THE STAFF ALWAYS TREATS MY DOG WITH SUCH CARE HE RECENTLY UNDER WENT SURGERY AND THE THE STAFF WAS SO KIND AND CARING, AND I FEEL MY PET IS IN GOOD HANDS WITH DR. PAOLONI AND HER STAFF. I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED A LONG WAIT, IT IS ALWAYS A MUCH SHORTER WAIT THAN WHEN I VISIT MY DOCTORS OFFICE. I WANT TO THANK DR. PAOLONE AND HER STAFF FOR ALWAYS TAKING SUCH GOOD CARE OF MY DOG, HIS NAME IS BABY. I WILL RECOMMEND VETCARE UNLIMITED TO ANYONE WHO NEEDS A GOOD VET.
Mc
  18th of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You should be appalled by this clinic not the site. You can do what you wish, but please do not post if you have no idea of the circumstances involved—which is quite evident. I have been in contact with a few people here and many of other that have not even posted—they are not fictitious . We absolutely stand by anything written here and will substantiate it completely! As will The Veterinary Board of Directors, N.YC. Veterinary Medical Assoc., The State Board for Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Board of Governors, as well as The Humane Society of the United States and (PAWS) Progressive Animal Welfare Society who have all been contacted and have the records. If you wish any information can be obtained through them.
We would not be wasting our time if any of this was not true. I’m sure you or anyone else would have some resentment as well if your pets had needlessly died in the hands of a clinic that they trusted and still continued to operate, putting other pets in danger.
Du
  27th of Jul, 2010
VET CARE...VERY LIMITED

This place is terrible! I don't even know how they manage to stay open. Expensive, don't have enough staff for the amount of pets they see, are involved with many on-going lawsuits. If you go here, don't leave sight of your pet...you'll be sorry you did. Better yet, just go somewhere else!
  22nd of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
I think all the negative comments are a bunch of garbage and are all a bunch of lies. Most of them DO sound like they have too much information than the regular Joe and probably are employees that got their [censor] fired and rightfully so. I have been going to Veterinary Care Unlimited since I was a kid going with my Mom and Dad. Fifteen years later, I have my own menagerie of pets as my parents did and my wife and in laws have been going there for years. I have only RESPECT for Dr Paoloni and the people that work there. They are professionals that love what they do. All I hear from these bogus complaints are beware of whats behind closed doors. Well, how do you know what is behind closed doors if you never worked there? And all the other complaints that say its all about the money, WELL...who among any of you work for free??? Do ANY of you get up in the morning, go to work, bust your [censor] and when its time to get paid say ...OH NO, I cant allow you to pay me, I would rather do this for free because that is what I went to school for some 10 or more years and thats how I roll? Why shouldn't we expect to pay our veterinarians for their work? We pay our own Doctors, we pay $100.00 to take the family to the movies or a ballgame, we pay athletes 65 millions dollars and we pay $5.00 to get a damn aspirin when we are in the hospital. Dr Paoloni has every right to get paid for what she does, because she is the best. I've been born and raised in Howard Beach all my life and I've heard of the horror stories about the other Doctors in this neighborhood. Why are people looking for the cheapest veterinarian when if you LOVE your animals, aren't you looking for the best...and the best cost more, thats just a fact of life. You all complain that its all about the money so when its time to buy your kid a new iphone, see if you don't have to pay Verizon for the phone and if they say NO, you can't have the phone, then are they all about the money?
I have only praise for Dr Paoloni and the other female Doctors there, I have mad respect for the staff that work there, but maybe we should ask them not to get paid either. They certainly don't make a helluva lot of money but they do it out of love, but they certainly can't do it for free. As for the comment throwing all those names around, board of this and board of that, you don't even make any sense. Its unfortunate that any of the truthful comments written here probably won't stay up on the site because lets face it, its the complaints board right? Give me a break, you are all full of [censor]. Freedom of speech is one thing but this is out and out unlawful the [censor] that is written about Dr Paoloni and her hospital. I'm out.
  22nd of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I have lots of credibility, you want test it?
  17th of Mar, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
What the hell do you know about anything that goes on in New York. Mind your business and stay in the UK. Apparently, you have no life so you post over 140 comments just so you have someone to talk to. Sad!
Ac
  1st of Aug, 2017
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
As a former a client AND employee, I must sadly reaffirm all they care about is money. Their books are so mismanaged they owe thousands to Antech (where they send their labwork), Merial (heartgard and flea/tick prevention), and several more. Have you ever wondered why they mostly don't have your item in stock and ask that you log on to their online pharmacy? Because that pharmacy isn't truly their own so it isn't affected by their piss poor accounting. When a new client calls to make an appointment, the receptionists are trained take their name, address, and phone number so that the client is automatically placed on their reminders call back list...meaning, even if your pet isn't due for let's say a Rabies vaccine, the date entered for the due date is the same as your appointment and if you don't show, it'll show on their books as if your pet is "overdue" and they will call you until you come in or block their numbers.

The supoort staff is also forced to go through weeks of "training" when they're first hired to upsell all clients, how to answer the phone so that if you inquire about a price, the staff isn't allowed to answer how much anything is until they tell you how GREAT they are first. Ria (administrator and also the one who avoids all calls from the companies she owes money to, ironically) scares new hires in to going along with this salesperson/telemarketing agenda by saying she has secret shoppers call at random to make sure we were all answering the calls appropriately.

Most times Ria and Dr. Paoloni (they're married) will have a fight so Ria won't go home and instead, sleep over at VCU, obsess over all the little mistakes everyone made, write a billion post its and leave them literally on every surface of the desk (WHY IS THIS HERE? WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT REMINDERS IN FOR THIS CLIENT? WHY DIDN'T YOU TRY TO SELL THEM FRONTLINE?! etc) One time Ria actually started one of our mandatory staff meetings (every week) with "I hate [censor] stirrers" seriously? That's how you start a meeting?

Besides all that, she would give each receptionists packets of all those fake reminders and whoever called and made the most appointments would get a free manicure! Wow! I'm in this field to help clients and their pets, not be a telemarketer to harass people and win free manicures.

Enough about Ria, let's move on to Dr. Paoloni. Sweet as pie, right? Wondering what your pet's bloodwork showed? Be ready to wonder for at least a week (even though it's in her mailbox the following morning) are you calling to speak with Dr. P? Too bad, she's in an appointment. Not really we just aren't allowed to interrupt her with any calls because she's too busy writing her notes for a patient she saw 2 days ago.

Do I sound bitter? To be honest, I was going to let bygones be bygones but apparently charging emoloyees for exams the doctors never did is the usual and that erroneous balance will follow you around for 5 years and they will hire the slimiest collection company to call not only you, but your family. Funny, didn't hear anything from them for years but I guess they're desperate for any pennies they can collect.

PS: If you find a stray kitten etc don't bring them here for them to adopt out etc, they will tell you one thing and then euthanize it.