UPS / don't use them

1 55 Glenlake ParkwayAtlanta, GA, United States Review updated:

We live in NH and on May 17th we shipped 2 packages to our son's finance. We shipped them via UPS through our local Staples store in North Conway, NH. Each package contained 100 3.4 ounce heavy-plastic jugs of New England Maple Syrup. Our son is getting married on Lake Tahoe on Jube 28th, 2008 and these syrups were to be a party favor for all the guests at the wedding. Our son chose a party favor that represented where he grew up and his finance chose something from the west coast where she grew up. Each box was a brand new 12"x12"x12" corrugated shipping box that was supposed to handle up to 60 lbs. The shipping weight was 34.32 lbs. The box was secured with premium shipping tape from staples. One box made it safely to Lake Tahoe and the other did not show up. We waited 4 days and then used the tracking number to find the box. The message we received was from Columbus, Ohio and stated "The package was damaged in transit. UPS will notify the sender with the details. All merchandise discarded. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage." The syrup was purchased from a family friend who owns a farm and cost $2.99 a bottle which was cheaper than if ordered on line. So, UPS supposedly threw out $299 worth of syrup. The details have been sketchy from UPS. First they said that obe cap had come off a bottle and had somehow ruined the other 99 heavy-duty plastic jugs. When we told them the package contained 100 small heavy-duty jugs then they said it was improperly packaged. When we told them an identical package had made it safely then they said we should have used bubble-wrap around each plastic container. Because we shipped through Staples UPS will not talk with us directly. We have not often shipped with UPS and foolishly thought the items would be insured since it cost $94.24 to ship both boxes. The nice girl at Staples who processed our packages never asked up if we wanted insurance so it turns out that we were only covered for $100. We complained to Staples and they finally generously reimbursed up the $100 plus the $45.73 shipping cost. They also sent us a gift certificate to Staples for another $100 and we hope the board of directors did not lose too much of their millions with their generosity. We will never use UPS again and we now have a $100 gift certificate to a business we no longer want to do business again. This week we are shelling out another $300 for another 100 bottles of maple syrup but we are taking it with us on our flight to Tahoe. We are assuming that some workers in Columbus, Ohio either ran over our box with a truck or have been enjoying pancakes for breakfast with real, New England Maple Syrup. AVOID SHIPPING UPS.

Va

Comments

• Ca
      20th of Apr, 2011

UPS is the worst. I will never use them again... We had a contract with them a few years ago where we did their network infrastructure upgrade. acording to the contract, we shipped all of the required product with a "stop number" to the distribution center where my staff was doing the work on a just in time basis as opposed to all at once. Two weeks into the project they discovered we were not union and told my on-site Project Manager we were not able to continue to use their stop number meaning we had to ship the remaining product at our cost instead of theirs. My project manager went crazy and I told him I would take care of it. I called the UPS manager that made the decision to discontinue letting us use the stop number and told him I needed he physical street address of the distribution center. He wanted to know why. I told him that all our future shipments to the UPS's distribution center for the remainder of our contract would be delivered by Fed Ex... ... He issued stop numbers for the remainder of the project!