Travelex / Refund

Omaha, United States Review updated:

We purchased travel insurance on December 31 from Travelex for a cruise we would be taking the next October. We subsequently decided to cancel the trip on January 16. The cruise company charged us $50 pp to cancel but Travelex says that since we didn't cancel within 10-days they won't give us any refund of our $212 premium. We canceled only 6-days after the cancellation period and the trip was still more than 9-months away. The reason we didn't cancel within the 10-days was due to a death in our immediate family on January 7 that required out-of-state travel.
After explaining all this we were told the best they would do is give us a 1-year extension to use the insurance. I am still trying to speak to someone in authority at the company to see if I can get them to give us a refund.

Jd
Jan 17, 2015

Comments

• Mk
      18th of Jan, 2015

Insurance on travel is often misunderstood... It does not allow you to cancel for a death in the family 9 months prior to the travel date.

• Jd
      18th of Jan, 2015

Maybe I wasn't clear... I'm not trying to make a claim or collect on the insurance policy... I'm canceling the policy and trying to get a refund of the premium 9 months prior to the travel date. The death in the family caused me to cancel a few days beyond the cancellation period and I want an extension of the cancellation period.