The Scooter Store / No weekend service - design problems

No repair service on the weekends, tired several times to contact anyone to fix a problem & was not able, then was told Monday it would be a couple of business days before receiving a call back. - Not good.
The recharge plug for the Jazzy is a three pin xlr connector that plugs into a port under the controller, impossible for my grandmother to reach or manipulate, and difficult for me, and of course it is the source of our current problem. Grandmother tried to unplug it in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and broke off two of the three pins in the port under the arm, so the chair can not be recharged and has been useless for the last two days...this ongoing issue the her not being able to plug the chair's recharger in at night is keeping the chair from getting a full charge.
Other problems, the foot rest is not easily lifted or pushed down, it requires bending over so low my Grandmother's head is nearly between her knees so she has taken to not using the foot rest, (which I protest each time I see her causing tension) allowing her feet to dangle which intern results in slumping poster and is inflaming pain in her lower back which is getting progressively worse.
This the chair's seat is equipped with a swivel, but the lever to release the swivel’s lock is below the right arm rest, hard to get to, then once it is released she had issues moving herself to exit the chair from over the wheel (perpendicular to the foot rest). Lending to this problem is that there are a couple of positions that the chair's seat locks into (over the foot rest, half way between the foot rest & wheel, over the wheel), working her way through the intermediate position half way between the foot rest and wheel increases her difficulty turning the chair from the normal drive position with the foot rest to a dismounting position over a wheel.
I believe there are some easy fixes to these problems, but when I contacted both the Scooter Store & Pride [protected]) the chairs manufacturer seeking a resolution to the short comings, the Scooter Store directed me to Pride and vice versa. When I asked to speak with a designer at Pride I was dismissed as if I was asking for something completely unrealistic ...I will not do the modifications myself for fear of voiding any warranty.
In closing, the chair is good for what it is, however it is not as user friendly as the marketing would have you believe, nor are any of the issues I have mentioned above addressed in the instruction given by the person delivering the chair.

Vi

Comments

• La
      15th of Jul, 2009

OK, here is something else that Most others have seemed to have missed. The scooter store add tells of a FREE chair if they pre-approve you for a chair. Well, I went through the process and I can tell you that PRE-APPROVAL was nowhere in the process:
    1) The first thing you have to do is to have them get in touch with your doctor.
    2) Secondly, the doctor sends you for a Physical Eval for limitations
    3) The Doctor then sends out a copy of the report & his recommendations both back to the scooter store and to the SS (which includes Medicare).
    4) The scooter store then processes the paperwork and waits for the approval.

At no point was there a PRE-EVAL by the scooter store and hense, no PRE-APPROVAL.
    I have been using the V.A. hospital since 1993 and I have asked all the Vets that I end up sitting in the waiting room with about this PRE-APPROVAL and those that have received a chair from the scooter store did NON go through any pre-approval process. All of them had the same experience I did. No exception.

So their statement, although being technically accurate, is mis-leading at best because they just don't pre-approve!.

With this tactic in mind, I can say that I will fix your computer for free if I give you Pre-Approval for the repair and then never give pre-estimates.

Just an observation from a Disabled Vet, Lance

• St
      29th of Nov, 2010

You should voice your design complaints to Medicare, not The Scooter Store since Medicare basically forces manufacturers to build power chairs a certain way based on how they pay for service. Check your local phone book and see if any other provider provides weekend service, keeps that part in stock, and will do service in your home. None of them do, so perhaps your expectations are too high or you are using the unit in a manner for which it was not designed.

• 4n
      3rd of Feb, 2011

Giggling little girls, maybe if you stopped being so degrading towards women who base their careers in telecommunications they would have been more willing to help you.

• 4n
      3rd of Feb, 2011

Disregard the above comment, it was suppose to post on a different entry.

• Bu
      31st of Mar, 2012

I have been one of your customers for over two years, and during that time I have experienced frustration with several design features of the Jazzy Power Chair, which I would like to bring to your attention.
    1) Rear wheels are too difficult to control, especially when trying to back up
    2) Seat covering IMPEDES SLIDING, thereby making it necessary to exert excessive amounts of effort when transferring on or off the unit
    3) Bucket seat too hard to maneuver into because of the high corners. A bench-style seat would be more user-friendly.
    4) Arm rests too low. More height capability needed.
    I hope you will seriously consider my thoughts, as I believe the changes I am suggesting would benefit many of your present and future customers.
    Sincerely,